Fork Graduation ball

Jemma

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, information on US graduations:

* The cap and gown are only worn at the ceremony. Nobody is caught dead wearing them at the graduation party.

* Basically it's just party clothes. Pretty standard, haha!

*Think homecoming dress, and you're good to go.

If you're going to the Gold reception, it's perfect because you can dress nicely for the reception and go straight to the party.

I've got a graduation gown from high school and a graduation gown from my first uni degree, but they're both back in the US! One of them was blue, the other was bright red I've never heard of yellow graduation gowns though!

I don't know what they make those gowns out of, but good LORD are they warm! It's like this weird synthetic fabric that traps heat in. The ceremony is always really long and they get about a zillion speakers in and even though you're sitting there, there's a lot of you, so it gets really warm and you're kind of impatient wanting to get the diploma and get the gown off...the worst was my uni graduation. By some fluke, I was the very first person called and there were about 500 graduates, so I had to sit there for about 45 minutes absolutely DYING from the heat. It's funny now, but at the time we couldn't help but whisper about how warm it was and try to fan ourselves with the programmes.

The cap is so frustrating! Be warned now, it says "one size fits all" but it's more like "one size won't fit anyone, no matter what!". It gets all saggy in the back and messes up your hair and generally will fall off if you don't pin it, haha. Graduates aren't allowed to throw their caps anymore either. Something about it being a health risk because it's square and pointy and COULD hit you in the eye *gasp shock horror*. So the whole "Wooooooo, we GRADUATED!" montage at the end of cheesy high school films? Can't happen anymore. It's tragic.

Haha!!

When I graduated from Uni, our gowns were black and we just had the hood thing with the university logo printed on it.

Our hats were different sizes though - we had to send measurements off when ordering, but I don't think ANYONE got the measurement right as it was a case of try on a million until you find one that fits!!

We were allowed to throw our caps :P

They took your measurements? Nice! Were they the mortarboards or the cool looking caps that look all Renaissance-y...that literally made no sense. I think they're velvet? Maybe that's for a Masters. I don't remember. Anyway, got to love graduation and the fact that nothing ever fits right.

You got to throw your caps? I'm so jealous! We all wanted to but they said we couldn't! :P

We had black mortarboards.

actually, this pic looks like the exact robes we had (I'm suuuure that gold hood is the Glamorgan Uni one)

pic_details.jpg

actually, here we are:

n558555925_163435_4806.jpg

(oh, how I wish I was a size 10 again!)

Oh, and throwing our caps for a photo (I'm the rubbish one in pink, obviously slower than everyone else!)

n558555925_163437_5226.jpg

Love it! haha, ours looked exactly like HS graduation robes because it was a small university. I got to get blinged up though because I was President of Honours Society and got Honours cords and stuff. They gave everyone on Honours Society committee these huge medals to wear...I felt very gangster, haha!

l_2affa8f8b964c3b7299a1b7beb387712.jpg

I'm on the far right. O to be 18 again. Without the braces. And the glasses. Geekdom at it's best, haha!

Oh my gosh Jane Norman? Wow posh AND expensive lol. Such a pretty dress!

Hey Lola yeah a few of us are hoping to wear gowns and caps and I think some are wear black too.

Ahhh I wish we had the whole High School Graduation thing. No one seems to make a big deal out of it here in the UK. We go to school on exam results day, wait for ages to be called, pick up our results and are either majorly pleased or majorly disappointed and then we may either go meet up with friends or go home. Not exciting AT ALL. Well, wasn't for my year anyway. Our prom didn't even go to plan as the venue got doubled booked so we ended up not having one! Was so gutted!

My year wasn't allowed a prom as we were the year from hell teehee :rolleyes:

On results day we just went in picked em up had a quick chat with teachers then went and got pissed on levs (local park) God i am sooooo common lol

Love that dress Lily its gorgeous xx

Oooh ooh ooh I tried my boots on last night and woohoo I can get the left boot on! Was worried it was gonna be too narrow but it wasn't at all. I got it on really easy! Lol! Sorry pointless info there!

Karly, you commoner! Ha ha!

I was just going to wear the dress I had for the Forks High school disco@ prom which I got for about £6 from the charity shop :thumbup: LOL

Looks like everyone is really making an effort and I`m gonna look a pikebag ;):smile:

We didn`t have a prom when I left school as someone burnt the huts down just before and we pissed them off rofl

(see, I`m common too ;) )

Xxx