Showmasters/Massive Events on Twitter

• Moderators

Hi everyone,

I've been asked to set up and run the official Twitter account for Showmasters and Massive Events.

You can follow it at:

http://twitter.com/Showmasters

This will be kept up to date with links to the latest information and announcements on the forum, so you'll know when something new is available instead of trawling through every single section every day :P

The forum is still the place for discussion and queries etc; Twitter is just a quick and convenient way of receiving updates about all the events.

I hope some of you find it useful :D

David

Edited by DavidB

• Moderators

Yeah, there's not a whole lot you can actually do with Twitter, but it'll be useful to just share event updates in one place.

Even if people don't use it for anything else, at least you'll know when a guest is announced, or cancelled, or if events are announced etc.

• Showmasters Admin

Awesome!!! I was wondering if she showmasters forum would be interested in affiliating with my forum??

xxx

Unlikely as this is a forum for the SM/ME business.

Also the rules specifically state that you can not link to a forum or website that then links or has mention of events not affiliated with SM.

As we have no moderating powers over your forum we could not be sure that users would not post links or discuss other events. Lets say another company chooses to get Twilight guests to their show. Are you willing to tell your users they are not allowed to mention or link to that other event?

You're better off staying as independent.

Yeah, there's not a whole lot you can actually do with Twitter, but it'll be useful to just share event updates in one place.

Even if people don't use it for anything else, at least you'll know when a guest is announced, or cancelled, or if events are announced etc.

For those who don't have a twitter account we are also on Facebook and My Space

http://showmastersonline.com/forums/index....showtopic=46534

That's all I'll ever use it for - I've just hooked in to the RSS feed. In truth, it's a little noisy, but much better than constantly checking the forums - definitely a big move forward!

:P

You're kidding, right? Twitter is one of the most powerful advertising tools (if used correctly) that Showmasters have available. Currently, Showmasters have relied on Adverts in magazines, flyers and the website... some of which rely on people being aware of them in the first place and pretty much all of which advertise to the same people. Twitter gives you the opportunity to reach people who've never heard of Showmasters and have never considered doing events. Of course, you have to use it properly to make the most of it.

• Moderators

No, I'm not kidding at all.

I know exactly how to use it, and what it's capable of, but if we're comparing it to stuff like Facebook (which was the original comment), then there's far less that you can do with Twitter overall.

Of course, they're completely different entities, and as such not comparable anyway.

I never said it wasn't useful obviously, or else I wouldn't bother doing it. It's far better for advertising purposes than Facebook/MySpace.

No, I'm not kidding at all.

I know exactly how to use it, and what it's capable of, but if we're comparing it to stuff like Facebook (which was the original comment), then there's far less that you can do with Twitter overall.

Of course, they're completely different entities, and as such not comparable anyway.

I never said it wasn't useful obviously, or else I wouldn't bother doing it. It's far better for advertising purposes than Facebook/MySpace.

With all due respect, it's not currently being used correctly by Showmasters. Firstly, for it to work, you need to follow people on it, you need to follow people who aren't currently following it, to encourage them to do so and to spread it. I would start by following the SFXMagazine Twitter, because if they then follow you, some of their 2500 followers might be introduced to Showmasters.

Secondly, the tags are wrong. There's little point is creating tags that aren't catchy and are meaningless, because people won't use them. Also, when guests are announced (or changes announced), then it make far more sense to use a tag that is relevent to the film/show that they are assoicated with. For example, Kai Owen was announced recently and the tag used was #CMGlasgow, which is pointless as people who know about the Showmasters Twitter are all ready following it. It should have been #Torchwood so that Torchwood fans searching for updates on their favourite show, might fight the Showmasters comment and learn about the event.

One of the problems with Twitter is that if you look at the age group it generally reaches, they are precisely the age group that don't generally tend to spend an awful lot of money. Twitter argue with this, but most people agree that the vast majority of 'serial' twitter users are in their mid teens. Now I don't know whether SM have ever done any numbers... But I'd be willing to bet that people in their mid teens, whilst they fill out the auditorium nicely, by and large don't spend much money on autographs.

In any case, for me personally the idea of thousands of people telling me what they're doing, or sharing some inane thought, is (sorry) incredibly boring.

"I'm in the queue at Starbucks, getting a Latte"

"I'm watching a film"

"I'm watching HSM OMG Zac Efron is SO lush"

Etc. Honestly - who cares???

• Moderators

Chris - it's been going for a few days officially as you know, so I'm more than happy to take that stuff on board. I'm aware of the need to follow relevant things, and haven't got around to doing that at the moment, but it'll definitely happen.

As for the tags, I'm still looking to keep the event ones, but I'll start tagging the announcements too when I put what they're in. Should be enough space.

Mike - I certainly agree that it doesn't necessarily have a wider appeal, but there's a fair few people that have signed up just to follow updates like these etc, even if they won't use it to update about themselves. So I suppose it can appeal on some level to many different people, even if it's just as a method of receiving.

One of the problems with Twitter is that if you look at the age group it generally reaches, they are precisely the age group that don't generally tend to spend an awful lot of money. Twitter argue with this, but most people agree that the vast majority of 'serial' twitter users are in their mid teens. Now I don't know whether SM have ever done any numbers... But I'd be willing to bet that people in their mid teens, whilst they fill out the auditorium nicely, by and large don't spend much money on autographs.

In any case, for me personally the idea of thousands of people telling me what they're doing, or sharing some inane thought, is (sorry) incredibly boring.

"I'm in the queue at Starbucks, getting a Latte"

"I'm watching a film"

"I'm watching HSM OMG Zac Efron is SO lush"

Etc. Honestly - who cares???

Mike

That's quite interesting, but I'm curious as to who has done that research? I would say that Twitter reaches a more mature audience, partly because it lacks all of the functionality of sites like Facebook, which I would say appeal more to a younger audience?

David

The event tags are pointless. The only people who will search for them, are people who already know about the event... and they are more likely to just click on the Showmasters user icon to get all the updates (assuming they aren't reading them as they are posted.) The point of the tags is to reach people who aren't familiar with Showmasters and they aren't ever going to search for #C15 because it's meaningless to them.

• 1 month later...