Lost Season 5 - Episode Seven

DavidB

• Moderators

He seemed to have an interest in the conspiracy behind the coverup etc before. Not sure why exactly, but there's certainly got to be some slightly deeper connection between him and someone/something I'd guess!

Why would Frank continue on his flight path if he knew something was up??

The island didn't let him change course...

I wondered that actually, but probably what I just typed, the island doesn't like people doing stuff so somehow doesn't let them, either that or Jack convinced him to stay on the flight path somehow.

Oh here's a question I've been wanting to ask for a while:

3 years have passed off the island, but have 3 years passed on the island when the 6 return or has it only been a day or so (however long it was until Locke left)? (The time jumps can't be counted in this, I mean how long has passed for those on the island).

Edited by Christoff

Well when they met Jin at the end of the episode he was driving the Dharma van but it was pre it being found all broken down by Hurley which surely means that they have arrived on the island pre the time they were originally there. In fact Jin was dressed in Dharma garb so maybe Dharma are still active on the island and he has joined them, this would be pre purge.

Or am i being thick??

Ye the theory going around is that when locke turned that wheel thing to get off the island that stopped the time jumping, but that would mean that time would remain at the specific point it was it when locke turned the wheel. And that the time period it was at is one when dharma were still active.

Wont probably find out anything more about that until next week since what I seen in the trailer the next episode will be focussed on Locke when he got off the island.

Edited by Tanith

But, how long has actually passed for the people on the island? Ignoring the time jumps, has it only been days while it's been 3 years for the 6 off the island? Or have they spent 3 years of their lives on the island?

But, how long has actually passed for the people on the island? Ignoring the time jumps, has it only been days while it's been 3 years for the 6 off the island? Or have they spent 3 years of their lives on the island?

Iv been wondering too...surly they have not spent 3years jumping thru time. I reckon its been

1 week on Island = 3Years real life

Dont think you can say how much time has passed for those left on the island as time is all over the place for them. Certainly the 6 went back 3 years real time but when they arrived they were back in the past pre purge. Technically you could say theyve been on the Island 3 years the same as the 6 off the island but as Richard is proof, you dont necessarily age the same way with an island jumping all over the place in time.

Wheres Doc Brown when you need him :D

Dont think you can say how much time has passed for those left on the island as time is all over the place for them. Certainly the 6 went back 3 years real time but when they arrived they were back in the past pre purge. Technically you could say theyve been on the Island 3 years the same as the 6 off the island but as Richard is proof, you dont necessarily age the same way with an island jumping all over the place in time.

Wheres Doc Brown when you need him :D

Them jumping around doesn't affect anything, what I mean is how long (to them) have they been there for? How long has it felt for them. They've surely not been jumping for years, it all seemed to happen in a short space of time. I'm guessing that to them the other 6 have only just left, but to those 6 it's been 3 years.

Them jumping around doesn't affect anything, what I mean is how long (to them) have they been there for? How long has it felt for them. They've surely not been jumping for years, it all seemed to happen in a short space of time. I'm guessing that to them the other 6 have only just left, but to those 6 it's been 3 years.

Not sure it was on day 108 when the 6 got off the island but there has been no mention of a number of days after that. From what we have seen from those who have remained on the island they hadn't been jumping for that long (At the very most a week in my opinion). The time between Locke leaving the island and the 6 returning is anyone's guess though. Couple of months tops in my opinion (most likely a great deal less).

Edited by Tanith

Thinking about this some more surely as time as gone by in the real world (3 years) the period of time on the island will be nonexistant, afterall is it not the case that the island can only jump around within the time line that it has already been in, hence it cannot jump into the future and therefore cannot go past the moment that the island disappeared to the oceanic 6. If this is the case then the returnees have as already discussed have ended up back in the past as they cannot land on the island at any point past where they saw the island disappear.

As time is leaping all over the place surely time does not really move for those that are leaping around. The only people who age are those that are not effected by the leaps.......the others, Dharma peeps, Danielle etc. Those that are leaping around are in effect outside the constraints of time and therefore no time will have passed for them in terms of real world time.

This is probably completely wrong but hey i tried :D

Exceptionally good episode this week, as all the episodes have been this season.

Even though it was known that Locke travelled around to see them all and everyone rejected him etc, so we didnt see much that we didnt know had happened, the episode was incredible for Terry O'Quinns acting alone

• Moderators

Yeah, I felt like because we knew what was going to inevitably happen, it wasn't going to be full of huge revelations. But as Lost has been for the past few season/s, it's all about how they get to where we know they end up.

Great to see appearances from Walt and Abaddon, both of which made total sense really. Locke knowing that he inevitably had to die meant it was logical he'd go see Walt amongst some of the others, and the Abaddon link back was very important in John's life.

I agree that Terry's acting was exceptional in this episode, and certainly it reminded me of why Locke was my favourite character right from the beginning. He's a terrific actor, and while in recent seasons he's had to share the focus, this episode gave him the platform he rightfully deserves as one of the best actors on the show.

Of course, there are still questions. Like that little tease from Walt about his dreams, and why Ben really did what he did .. do we EVER truly know what his motivations are? And Abaddon's death was slightly abrubt, although again made sense. I wonder if more was planned for him, and Fringe had an impact or not - could be a similar situation to Richard Alpert last season.

Then of course we end up with Locke now on the island again, and what he actually is, along with the new people and the Dharma place etc. A very interesting and powerful episode.

It is difficult to guess out of Ben and Widmore which one is the good side. They both want the same thing: Control of the Island but which one would be better. They have both shown acts of both good and evil throughout the series.

I just knew that Locke would come back to life when he returned to the island.

Edited by Tanith

• Moderators

I kinda get the feeling that maybe it's not that simple in the end - Ben vs Widmore, Good vs Evil. They could both be 'good' in their own ways, or they could both be 'bad'. I'm curious as to how Jacob and the 'island' all fits into everything. After all, Ben and Charles are just two people, but the 'island' itself is more powerful .. hmm, it's all very intriguing.

All I know now is that we don't have a clue where the story is going really. We're done with the 'we have to go back!' part, and Locke's death, so now what? God knows :P

This episode was just... great!!! My second favourite this Season after 316. I hope Terry get's an Emmy for this episode as he deserves it, his death scene was one of the best scenes from the whole show.

I did think some of Locke's meetings with some of the other Losties were a little flat though, they just didn't seem as good as they were made to seem when the 06 and Walt talked about them in the S4 finale. Also, why did Walt, Hurley etc. refer to Locke as Jeremy Bentham and talk as though he was a big secret in There's No Place Like Home, but Locke never told them his fake alias?

Also, why did Walt, Hurley etc. refer to Locke as Jeremy Bentham and talk as though he was a big secret in There's No Place Like Home, but Locke never told them his fake alias?

To confuse us viewers of course :(

Locke's been one of my favourite characters since very early on so I'm glad he's not actually dead dead, though through watching this series I didn't expect him to stay dead for long for some reason.

I kinda get the feeling that maybe it's not that simple in the end - Ben vs Widmore, Good vs Evil. They could both be 'good' in their own ways, or they could both be 'bad'. I'm curious as to how Jacob and the 'island' all fits into everything. After all, Ben and Charles are just two people, but the 'island' itself is more powerful .. hmm, it's all very intriguing.

All I know now is that we don't have a clue where the story is going really. We're done with the 'we have to go back!' part, and Locke's death, so now what? God knows :P

I do find the whole Ben and Charles thing interesting too, they're both seen as bad guys and yet both are claiming to be the good guys wanting what's best for the island and the people on it, very interesting and look forward to seeing more of this :D

• Moderators

The timelines do get a little confused in my memory, though it'd be easy enough for there to be communication between people that we don't know about.

Plus the general paranoia surrounding any of the non-Oceanic 6 islanders surely would include Locke? So referring to him as Bentham, no matter what, would be the sensible thing to do. Jack would want to get stories straight after all.

The only one I wouldn't be sure about is Walt, but they could probably easily explain that away with one of Walt's dreams.

Thanks for posting about an episode that hasnt been shown in the UK yet guys....jeez :huh:

Oh well at least i know not to read here until after each sunday from now on huh :chair:

Posting about this weeks episode until the title of Episode 8 would have helped then i wouldnt have read it but thought you were talking still about episode 7 where the 6 got back to the island and Jin met them at the end!!!!

OK point taken, it was the pictures that confused me (have to admit i didnt read the title under the picture). Being here in the Uk and not seeing the show until Sunday im a bit confused -

Last episode here was where Jack and Co got back to the Island, before that was Locke getting off the island (going down the well) and before that was Jin waking up and meeting Rousseau. Therefore looking at the pics i saw Frank and assumed that this was the thread for the Jack back on Island episode as the pic for the previous episode was Locke turning the wheel and the pic for the episode before that was Jin waking up on the beach, this would tie in with what i thought as above.

No big deal, its my own fault for not reading properly

• Moderators

Sorry if it was a bit confusing :YAHOO:

I like to choose a pic showing a key moment from the previous episode. Usually one of the most memorable ones, something that'll trigger memories of what happened before. So I chose Frank as he was one of the bigger surprises in the previous ep, Episode 6 - 316.