What would you like to see at Glasgow 4?

DavidB

• Moderators

As Glasgow is still a show very much in its infancy, it is continuing to grow slowly from one show to the next.

I wanted to make this topic so that attendees can give their feedback on how to improve the show if they've been this weekend, and what they'd like to see at the next one.

Note: This isn't a specific 'Guest Suggestions' topic.

Are there things you think could have been better? Or things you felt were missing? etc.

Showmasters do appreciate feedback, and while it can't be guaranteed that your suggestions will be implemented, they do get read. So please feel free to add yours :YAHOO:

Please try and keep it constructive and about the event itself, rather than bringing up communication issues or things like that. Both organisers and attendees alike want Glasgow to be a success, as is evident by the support shown by many, so try and be positive.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed myself this year at the event and it does seem to get better show to show.

For myself I would like to see more stalls that offer less trading cards/comic books and offer more movie replica items, I.e Master Replicas, EFX and all the other major players.

I relise that everyone has their favorite items for their collections and this is my favorite I have a modest collection and would like to expand it as getting items in the UK is getting more difficult.

I also liked the idea of have actual movie props on display if this could be expanded upon that would be great, either more prop displays or vehicles from movie/tv shows.

Looking forward to the next event.

Barry

Edited by Barry110

Given the obvious willingness of a number of people to help publicise this event, why not set up a more structured street team; a local organiser with a specific contact point and e-mail address at SM Towers, so that stuff can done on a more planned (rather than ad hoc) basis? Does require a certain commitment from SM too, or it withers from the top down.

move it to edinburgh!

advertise the event more.

more guests that will attract potential attendees. more scottish guests. more film guests. a balance of quality and quantity of guests.

guests that will attract regular attendees. people didnt seem to be willing to travel north to meet guests they met a few weeks ago or had already met a zillion times.

if the show is going to grow then its up to sm to make the first move. glasgow needs a big name guest, a headliner. its 8 months till the next show, plenty of time to get someone and advertise it properly.

a 3 day event with 1 guest on friday, 11 on sat, and the same 11+1 on sun. just completely bizarre business decision making. yes i understand glasgow is a new show but sm have done other shows.

i'd like sm to take a more proactive approach to what dealers they bring in. whole aisles of people selling pictures of celebs is just space i think that could be better used. i bought 1 magazine and 1 buffy figure, the least ive ever bought at a show. i wonder if some dealers understand that what guests are actually attending the show relates in some part to what people will be interested in buying?

I had some money burning a hole in my pocket (for once) and just mostly saw the same junk left over from past shows. it would be interesting to see what dealers made money and what they were selling.

horror movie guests!!!! yeah, i said it. are there no horror fans work for sm? jeez. thank goodness that some hammer girls also did sci-fi shows.

most of all, in trying to attract a fresh audience i think they need to try and negate the stigma that this is a sci-fi show for trekkies and the like. if that seems like a strange thing to say then you havent thought about it or are just blissfully ignorant.

i thought it was a good show on saturday, maybe if it was in the summer more people would have turned up?

glasgow needs a big name guest, a headliner. its 8 months till the next show, plenty of time to get someone and advertise it properly.

Which of course causes its own problems. Anybody who is a "big name" will either be unable to commit to something 8 months away or if they can, may well get an offer of work at some point in the intervening 8 months which makes them unavailable. Having a headline guest is a risky point to advertise upon; better to have 4 or 5 guests as the main selling point, so that you have a reasonable chance that at least 2 or 3 of them will actually make it.

i'd like sm to take a more proactive approach to what dealers they bring in. whole aisles of people selling pictures of celebs is just space i think that could be better used.

Dealers subsidise the cost of the show. Unless the show reaches a situation where there are more dealers who want space than there is space to rent to them, I can't really see SM saying "no, you can't have a pitch, your products are too unimaginative" - it would just be turning away perfectly good income.

move it to edinburgh!

Weirdly I said the same to my friend on the way home from Glasgow - CM is the only event I've ever travelled to Glasgow for other than a Foos concert, whereas I go to Edin all the time for things, even though Edinburgh and Glasgow are about equidistant from me. Dunno what it is, Edinburgh always just seems so much more convenient and easy.Also I never hear about things happening in Glasgow, but hear about loads in Edinburgh.

I'd personally happily travel to either regardless, so it's not actually an issue for me. Just wonder if the same is true of everyone.

Edited by Kenny

move it to edinburgh!

Weirdly I said the same to my friend on the way home from Glasgow - CM is the only event I've ever travelled to Glasgow for other than a Foos concert, whereas I go to Edin all the time for things, even though Edinburgh and Glasgow are about equidistant from me. Dunno what it is, Edinburgh always just seems so much more convenient and easy.Also I never hear about things happening in Glasgow, but hear about loads in Edinburgh.

I'd personally happily travel to either regardless, so it's not actually an issue for me. Just wonder if the same is true of everyone.

See I'm really glad the event is in Glasgow. From personal experience Glasgow has better venues for such events and better transportation to/from the city.

But having said that I would still go to the event in Edinbugh! I'm really glad SM is putting an event on in Scotland! So it's not that big of an issue....i just think glasgow is easier (and cheaper) to get to. :)

Today was my first CM show... been to many Autographica's however. I have only one gripe... I arrived around 1130 today and intended to get Juliet Landau to sign something for one of my friends but when I got to her table just after noon she'd gone to lunch. She didn't come back until 230pm or so and when I went to her table the queue was crazy.... and sadly I had to leave as I couldn't wait any longer.

I did however enjoy meeting Caroline Munro, James Cosmo, Jeremy Bulloch, Dirk Benedict and Georgia Moffett :blush: .

346253423.jpg

I wish I'd had more time at the show to take in a few talks.... perhaps next time?

If you're looking for a venue in Edinburgh you could do worse than Meadowbank Sports Centre/Stadium... they hold conventions there all the time.... or even better... at Ocean Terminal... plenty of "thru traffic" from the regular punters and its really close to the city centre.

Edited by machbusterman

glasgow is perfect for the event

trying to get around glasgow is much easier than getting around Edinburgh

Braehead is the busiest shopping center in Scotland and the guys have now built up a relationship with the Arena staff and Center management so i think it would be very silly to move it to some where new and have to build new bridges with other managers

Advertising was a big problem, alot of the dealers i was speaking to said "What advertising"

if they can get a good advertising deal then i think the bigger guests will follow

move it to edinburgh!

See I'm really glad the event is in Glasgow. From personal experience Glasgow has better venues for such events and better transportation to/from the city.

But having said that I would still go to the event in Edinbugh! I'm really glad SM is putting an event on in Scotland! So it's not that big of an issue....i just think glasgow is easier (and cheaper) to get to. :)

the fringe festival is in august, i just think there is massive potential to attract every type of guest imaginable, lots of them will already be there. there is no place in the uk more culturally active than edinburgh in august. plus the huge influx of visitors and tourists at that time.

dont want get lynched next time i'm in glasgow, but sorry, edinburgh is just a far more pleasant city for people to visit and its cheap and quick and easy to get get to any potential venue from the train or bus station. and i know a lot of people who would got to a show in edinburgh.

braehead might be the busiest shopping centre but the cm hall didnt exactly represent that fact on saturday. i think the coffee stand had more visitors than cm did.

Edited by gahab13

Advertising was a big problem, alot of the dealers i was speaking to said "What advertising"

Yeah, that's always been my main thought too - there was an advert late on in the Sun and on radio and a few other places, but at the end of the day, a lot of the shop staff I spoke to in Braehead itself didn't even know about it, let alone the shoppers.

There's an issue with the arena sort of being tucked away at the back where a lot of casual shoppers might not notice it - if there could be big signage up on the day throughout the shopping centre pointing the way, I reckon that'd go a long way to drawing in more of the casual punters who are there already but don't know about the event. Dunno about the practicality or cost of that.

In terms of advertising to get people from around the country informed and wanting to go, I think it's important to utilise the resources available as much as possible - namely people who are willing to go the extra mile for SM and do free advertising and leaflet drops in their own cities.

A few staggered leaflet drops over the period of 2 to 3 months before the event around the country by willing volunteers could make a world of difference. I understand that guest cancellations and whatnot can occur, making early printed leaflets null and void, but couldn't the early printed leaflets just be about the event and dealers and mention guests but not give specifics? Even referencing the website must be a positive thing.

Woo, rambling!

Hello

The guests were great. :( Once again, any that I spoke to were really nice. James Cosmo was especially nice with me, as I kept going back to him with something else to say. Then I asked him something else during the Q&A. I really only go for the guests, as I collect autographs.

I always like seeing movie props, and I think that having more of them, and makig a bigger deal out of them would be great for brining in more people. This kind of thing seems to work well in places like Planet Hollywood.

A few more posters around the shopping mall might have drawn in a few more visitors. The shopping mall was jumping, and yet some of the forum users are saying that they felt the event was quiet compared to August. I have been an early attender at both events and I found it about the same. Didn't go last year :chair:

Some folk may complain about the stalls being very similer to last time, but my friend went to the stall selling the metal etched books to buy one as a Xmas gift for his girlfriend, just because he saw it last time. I personally am waiting for the day when my infant son is old enough for bigger toys so that I can clean the place out :D

All in all we should be thankfull that this event is here at all. It WILL continue to grow, it will keep getting better and better. There was something like this a few years ago in the SECC, where I met loads of SW actors, which was great, but what ever happend to that? David Prowse told me that that event wasn't so good (Aug). Why? I don't know.

Three cheers for Showmasters. The show must go on :P

I'm gonna harp on about the party again, as I really reckon if it's made into something big it could be something big.

Fiver a ticket, themed cocktail menu, silly competitions - I'll happily DJ, I'm sure the Marines would be happy to take turns on the door so even having your ticket taken is part of the sci fi theme ( Garrison - Any tupperware enthusiasts from your end up for a half hour or so of guard duty as well? :P and so on... The August one was a blast and it was quite quiet.

If the Braehead Arena bar is too pricey to hire, we find another venue in the Braehead area. I'm sure there's a function room or something somewhere we could get for cheap - Usually in Glasgow clubs are available for a deposit, refundable if enough folk come through the door as the club makes cash on the bar.

Advertising - I chatted to Jason about it, and seemingly he's got the mall/arena to agree to earlier advertising... This year, they weren't allowed to do anything earlier than a week before the event.

I'd be up for some flyering in costume, possibly in Glasgow as well if we could convince FP or A1 to let us use their shop as a "home base" and flyer outside.

I know there's been some friction as a result of these forums - I'd love to see everyone involved consider byegones to be byegones and adopt a positive attitude to the next event.

Everyone's had their say and let off what steam they needed to - We've all had our share of frustration for various reasons, but the event WAS an utter blast.

Take on board everything we've learned from the event and it's lead-up, and let's start communicating NOW to iron out all the wrinkles well in advance of next August!

So say we all?

oh me and my friend were just talking about wishing there was a sort of suggestion box:)

I personally think the first show in Glasgow was the best it had some big and amazing guests I remember having to queue up quite early to get a good seats for the talks and the place was packed. I’ve only been to the two last events for the stalls. I thought the dealers were amazing today really friendly and really fun.

I love the stalls that have the pictures but one thing I always wish is that they have more of different characters from tv shows/films instead of just always the same main characters. I know they have to bring a large verity of stuff but I was hoping to find a picture of Tom Price or the Real captain Jack for the Hub 2. I know there will be stuff available at the Hub but I had the money I might not have then. Also of Merlin merchandise but only one stall had a small amount and I cleared him out:) All the stuff I looked at was for main characters of shows and I guess they are the most popular things wanted but even a small selection of other characters would be nice.

Would dealers be willing to take suggestions for items if a large enough amount of people wanted it?

Yes I know this is a strange thing to go on about but I can’t be the only person that thinks this can I?

Glasgow is the only event I have been to so I don’t know is it different at bigger events is there more? Or is it repeats of the same stuff?

I'm trying so hard not to make this sound negative I just there wasn't alot to get at the stalls(I still managed to spend a fortuneXD) because I had already gotten it at the August event.

so yes verity is the spice of life.

Much <3

Edited by Galaxy-Song

• Moderators

I would imagine dealers try to sell things that are usually popular, and sometimes change it up to be related to the guests involved at a particular event or upcoming ones. Obviously it can't always be done, or it might be guests that wouldn't be worth producing something for, but I'm sure they do often try.

The main problem on here is that dealers aren't allow to advertise, so I would say it's best that anyone gets business cards or contact details from stalls at events.

I would imagine dealers try to sell things that are usually popular, and sometimes change it up to be related to the guests involved at a particular event or upcoming ones. Obviously it can't always be done, or it might be guests that wouldn't be worth producing something for, but I'm sure they do often try.

The main problem on here is that dealers aren't allow to advertise, so I would say it's best that anyone gets business cards or contact details from stalls at events.

from the dealers i spoke to most of them had no idea what guests where there

• Moderators

Hmm well from the dealers I know, that do pictures etc, they'll certainly try to get appropriate products that would be suitable to get signed etc. Obviously there's a certain risk that comes with that though, and many a time someone has cancelled and they've been left with products that aren't as popular as they should have been. So it depends if they want to take that risk or not.

Hmm well from the dealers I know, that do pictures etc, they'll certainly try to get appropriate products that would be suitable to get signed etc. Obviously there's a certain risk that comes with that though, and many a time someone has cancelled and they've been left with products that aren't as popular as they should have been. So it depends if they want to take that risk or not.

not trying to get into an argument David but your judging it on Dealers that have boxes and boxes of pictures for almost every occasion

the dealers i spoke to, the film cell guys, guys selling Master replica stuff, copper book dude and trading card guys and even my sort-of-boss could maybe tell you three out of the 11 guests that are scheduled to attend

a lot of the dealers didnt have the foggyest who any of the guests were, they kept coming around and standing in front of my stall. it was driving me mad, the people who do a lot of shows are clued up enought to find out the guest line up before hand.

and i agree that a lot of the stalls were selling utter tat, but it is a smaller show and its an awfule long way for people that would normaly do conventions to get to.

• Moderators

Obviously it depends on what they're selling. It's far easier for a picture dealer to make their products appropriate, rather than like what you said, replicas or the copper book guy etc. It's just not possible for every dealer to relate to the guest list - after all, some dealers specialise in SW stuff, or Beanie Babies, or god knows what else. If they're a specialist company, there's not a whole lot they can do. Same with something like trading cards - even if they did know the guest list, it'd likely be a very small portion of their overall product that'd be relatable.

My main point would be that SMs have to take what dealers are interested in doing the show, and they're not always going to directly relate to the guest list - whether it's possible or not. And I know a fair few dealers, not just 8x10 picture sellers, so I am aware of the risk/reward situation. A lineup like Glasgow had this time doesn't really lend itself to flooding a stall with relatable merchandise anyway, as if I were a dealer there's far more popular things I'd want to be shifting. It'll differ from one event to the next with some dealers, and it'll stay the same for others.

Some of the dealers made a point of saying how they stuff they had with them wasn't availbe online since they only really get it for the event. (so wanted the metal dalek)

This is the only time that I can this sort of stuff as there arent that many sort of shops that I know of in Glasgow. And I geuss Ive started collecting the pictures with out even meaning to and it would be great if there was a bigger sellection.

Dealers not being aware of the planned guests isn't really Showmasters' fault...

This forum is ideal for keeping everybody - dealers included - in the loop.

It's a matter of seconds to post a sticky, locked thread containing an up to date list of all the guests, with a new thread started for each new guest announced ( Or cancellation, if need be. )

Dealers should be pointed to the forum, and allowed ( If not expected! ) to have a read and be aware what's going on.

This time, even though some threads were left unedited when they should have been changed to reflect cancellations, the info WAS here if you looked.

I think more signage would be a good idea - the big board outside had little to no mention of the guest talks... Emphasising that would be great. Possibly even have the schedule posted outside as well as right by the stage.

PA announcements giving a few minutes' notice of who's up next, with regular reminders about the auction and cosplay contest.

All doable at little or no extra cost, but all useful to punters and IMHO likely to improve the overall experience of a CM show.

It IS much more than a glorified comic mart, and the more that can be done to emphasise that while still getting as much footfall across the dealer's frontage as possible, the better.

Edited by Reverend Scapegoat

Dealers not being aware of the planned guests isn't really Showmasters' fault...

This forum is ideal for keeping everybody - dealers included - in the loop.

It's a matter of seconds to post a sticky, locked thread containing an up to date list of all the guests, with a new thread started for each new guest announced ( Or cancellation, if need be. )

Dealers should be pointed to the forum, and allowed ( If not expected! ) to have a read and be aware what's going on.

This time, even though some threads were left unedited when they should have been changed to reflect cancellations, the info WAS here if you looked.

I think more signage would be a good idea - the big board outside had little to no mention of the guest talks... Emphasising that would be great. Possibly even have the schedule posted outside as well as right by the stage.

PA announcements giving a few minutes' notice of who's up next, with regular reminders about the auction and cosplay contest.

All doable at little or no extra cost, but all useful to punters and IMHO likely to improve the overall experience of a CM show.

It IS much more than a glorified comic mart, and the more that can be done to emphasise that while still getting as much footfall across the dealer's frontage as possible, the better.

agreed mate, its not SM fault that the dealers bring stuff they want to get rid of rather than things that are related to the guests

Hi

We were there early today and while it was enjoyable, there a few things that made things a shame for us.

1. We came early and tried to get all the guests we wanted. We got 6 autographs but Craig Charles still wasn't there by 11:15 and we had waited 45 minutes for him - I felt sorry for the guy assisting him as others were waiting for him as well. At 11:05 the organisers booth told us he was on his way and would be here soon but by 12:15 the organisers booth told us that he wasn't arriving till 1pm. While disappointed we never saw Craig, in such instances the information doesn't seem to reach the crew member involved as he was still under the impression very soon before we spoke to the organisers booth that he should be here soon.

2. The "no posed photos" signs.

We went to Dirks table at 10:20 and wanted his autograph and a photo of him with our son. When the assistant said there was no posed photos, we declined and Dirk gave a large "aaaawwww".

There was no-one at Dirks table for the next 25 minutes (I know this because we were waiting for Craig Charles between both tables). I asked staff to provide warnings in future (if possible) on the website. I then spoke to the organisers booth and too tall. On all occasstions, I got the same reply "he wasn't feeling well" (but doing a photoshoot later in the day), some guests don't like posed photos, etc.

After waiting an age for Craig Charles (who never turned up) my six year old son said he wanted to meet Dirk anyway. He went up, paid the money, had a quick chat with him and it was Dirk who turned my son around and allowed us to take a photo. I'm so glad Dirk has more sense than showmasters in these instances. If we had known Craig wasn't coming Showmasters would have lost £15 from us.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for "no posed photos" at busy events with busy guests but Dirk had no-one near him in 20 minutes and it was obvious the "no posed photos" was not his choice - if it was, then he obviously changed his mind at 10:55. Yes, he was unwell, but still took the time to attend, was kind to my son and gladly posed for a photo with him. If we were there all day, then we would have paid for the photoshoot but we had to leave at 12:15 (and did so without meeting Craig Charles).

It would help us if the website advertised in advanced "no posed photos" (I appreciate some guests may insist this on the day) or if notice of this was made near the entrance. A posed photo or photoshoot for us means as much (if not more) than the autograph we get.

I'm expecting a quick reply to this, but we were asked for feedback. The stalls were great, the location fantastic and all the guests were brilliant.

Steve

Hi everyone,

From my point of view, I actually thought the Dealers were quite varied and did buy quite a varied lot of items. I suppose it really depends on what you are looking for, but when I first attended the venue in August I did get some Dealers contacts and had a chat with them to see what sort of items they had. So from my point, the dealers that I befriended then kind of knew the sorts of items I was looking for and at this show, I did actually find quite a lot of the kind of items I was looking for. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that the dealers are really friendly and do accomodate your wishes if they actually know them. The Dealers really are very helpful.

I did mention at the time on here just before the August event, that I thought there should be a Dealers sections that helped to promote the kind of stuff that would be available at the shows, and to in a way help with feedback as regards the successful relationship with the Organisers via the Dealers continued support and rebooking etc. I am fully aware that only the show sponsors can openly advertise their wares with regards to actual sales but would it not be permissable to generalise their specialities in a dedicated sub forum?

I enjoyed this event and dont really know how it could have been done better, especially in this current climate, other than what several of the members have already mentioned. On a side note my Husband did get lost once and did mention to me that some kind of sandwich board or similar pointing the direction of the venue would have helped him but other than that I have no actual issues with this event. I think the Nokia stand didn't help in my Husband's case though. LOL

The only thing I would like to see in the future if at all possible is maybe some dedicated tables being allocated in a mini-cafe style,if you please, as regards the refreshments table, as I did find the seating at the sides of the arena quite awkward to get down from once a few of the people started sitting about. You basically had to climb over each other to get down the stairs because of the way the seating is arranged. Other than that it was very enjoyable. LOL :P

Thank you,

Ann x