No room at the Inn!

vamperstein

Just thought I'd let everyone know that the Park Inn is already fully booked for 13th - 15th March. They are taking names for a wait list, but apparently it is growing fast... haven't tried any of the other hotels in the area yet but suspect they will book up quickly too.

While I'm thinking of it - is there any way you guys could attempt arranging a discounted rate at one or two of the other hotels in the locality? Not sure how much work is involved in this, but I know I have been to other big events before where they've managed to negotiate some kind of discount at a couple of hotels rather than just the one the event is actually being held at, which would be great for those of us who can't get in at the Park Inn.

Edited by vamperstein

Wow, that was really quick!!

My friend who I stayed in the Ibis with last week was still in Northampton luckily on Monday when she received a tip off that the Inn had booked out of singles and triples (I think). She ran back to the hotel and booked us a double room each.

The Ibis wasnt bad and the walk backwards and forwards was ok. Rooms were clean and comfortable.

The Ibis wasnt bad
I think that's a little debatable - we roomed with Kasey and she'd booked a twin room but we got put in a double, not exactly the best thing when you've never met the people you're rooming with! Luckily Kasey had an airbed with her and was happy to use that (plus Angel and I know each other so didn't mind sharing a bed) but I did think it was a very poor show on the part of the hotel, especially as they didn't even tell us they'd bumped us into a double when we checked in. Plus I know there were people who had issues with getting extra pillows etc in their rooms.

That said, the rooms were clean and as far as I'm concerned that's the only thing that matters as it's only crash space... but I can appreciate how other people like their comforts and were not happy with the Ibis.

Edited by vamperstein

The Ibis wasnt bad
I think that's a little debatable - we roomed with Kasey and she'd booked a twin room but we got put in a double, not exactly the best thing when you've never met the people you're rooming with! Luckily Kasey had an airbed with her and was happy to use that (plus Angel and I know each other so didn't mind sharing a bed) but I did think it was a very poor show on the part of the hotel, especially as they didn't even tell us they'd bumped us into a double when we checked in. Plus I know there were people who had issues with getting extra pillows etc in their rooms.

That said, the rooms were clean and as far as I'm concerned that's the only thing that matters as it's only crash space... but I can appreciate how other people like their comforts and were not happy with the Ibis.

Compared to some of the dives I've stayed in in the past, it wasnt bad :YAHOO:

Though I do agree that it isnt great of them to bump you from the room you originally booked, like you say, particularly when you dont know the people you are sharing with. Did they try and alter the price because of this?

We were lucky - my friend and I know each other through a Forum for a band we both like and met several times at gigs. We didnt know we'd both booked for the Hub and originally she had a double room but when she heard I need space she swapped for a twin room. This was back at the beginning of August though.

Hope you dont get as much hassle this time around - there's enough to organise with these things as it is without the hotel mucking you about

The Ibis wasnt bad

they did that to alot of poeple did anyone got two singles in a room i am sharing with Kasey this time just glad i have a bed and not on the floor again with a sleeping bag :wub:

Just thought I'd let everyone know that the Park Inn is already fully booked for 13th - 15th March. They are taking names for a wait list, but apparently it is growing fast... haven't tried any of the other hotels in the area yet but suspect they will book up quickly too.

While I'm thinking of it - is there any way you guys could attempt arranging a discounted rate at one or two of the other hotels in the locality? Not sure how much work is involved in this, but I know I have been to other big events before where they've managed to negotiate some kind of discount at a couple of hotels rather than just the one the event is actually being held at, which would be great for those of us who can't get in at the Park Inn.

I actually enquired about a room at the Park Inn on the Saturday at about 5pm and was told they were already fully booked!

As I stayed at the IBIS this time and I was quite happy with the room and parking next door in the Sol Central I am quite happy to keep that arrangement for the Hub 2.

The one hing I wasnt happy with in the IBIS was the restaurant service (I waited about 45 minutes and then my starter and main course arrived together) and so after my first and only meal on Friday evening I took all meals including breakfast at the Park Inn which I shall be doing this again.

When I came to pay my bill at the IBIS they had no record of my Friday night meal but as I am honest I reminded them and paid for it.

The Ibis is about half the price of the Park Inn so i don't see the need for a discounted price.

I hope we don't get a double room as we have booked a twin room too.

It was nice to see for once that we were given what we asked for in the park inn. Most hotels no matter how many times you scream twin at them will give you a double...... fools!

The one hing I wasnt happy with in the IBIS was the restaurant service (I waited about 45 minutes and then my starter and main course arrived together) and so after my first and only meal on Friday evening I took all meals including breakfast at the Park Inn which I shall be doing this again.

The room at the Ibis was really comfy and nice, but don't eat there.

The only issue I had over the whole weekend was the appaling food at the Ibis. Over two evenings I sent two meals back because they were either stone cold or, on one memorable occasion still frozen, and my brother was then kept waiting for over an hour for a salad.

I kept records and receipts and am taking this up with the management and so hopefully something will be done, but I'm never eating there again.

The food at the Park was really nice!

The room at the Ibis was really comfy and nice, but don't eat there.

The only issue I had over the whole weekend was the appaling food at the Ibis. Over two evenings I sent two meals back because they were either stone cold or, on one memorable occasion still frozen, and my brother was then kept waiting for over an hour for a salad.

I kept records and receipts and am taking this up with the management and so hopefully something will be done, but I'm never eating there again.

The food at the Park was really nice!

As you can see in my post above I had the same experience. Despite paying a bit extra it really is worth going to the Park Inn for breakfast too as they do a great self service spread.

When my dessert arrived at the IBIS the custard was stone cold which was a pity as the pie wasnt bad if a little lukewarm. Im sure all my three courses were prepared at the same time. After Friday night my first meal I never ate there again and dont intend to next time.

Well i've booked a room at the Ibis.

Since I was at the Innkeeper's Lodge....which no taxi service had ever heard of. I was actually near tears on the Friday night because the taxi driver got us lost. Its was 3am in the morning and it cost me £17.50 when it should have only cost £8. So nope, having something way nearer this time.

The Ibis is about half the price of the Park Inn so i don't see the need for a discounted price.

O_o Half the price? What prices did you got?

The Hub price at Park Inn for B&B is 65.

And Ibis when Ie checked was mmm... 52/57 Bed + 5,5 Breakfast. Not that much of a difference.

Cheapest I found in nice walking distance was Aarandale. That was around 45 B&B

Ooh wicked what room number? lol

We were 28!

lol 211

It was like we had been put at the back on purpose.

Although the bloke behind the desk did let us borrow his photocopier. Which was kind of him. Considering we didn't have to pay.

But anyway....closer next time!

I think we are looking in to the Ibis but not sure as of yet.

We stayed at the Ibis last week and the rooms were ok actually quite large. Cheap too.

the one thing i would be careful of is the parking. This is a multi storey car park with places reserved for the hotel. when you leave you dont pay the hotel but at a pay meter. We arrived on friday afternoon and left on monday lunchtime and it cost us £30+ for parking. They charge by the hour and an extra £5 for overnight. was a bit of a shock i can tell you paying this much when normally hotel car parks are about £5 a night and this is for 5* hotels i've stayed in. This isnt clear on their website.

We stayed at the Ibis last week and the rooms were ok actually quite large. Cheap too.

the one thing i would be careful of is the parking. This is a multi storey car park with places reserved for the hotel. when you leave you dont pay the hotel but at a pay meter. We arrived on friday afternoon and left on monday lunchtime and it cost us £30+ for parking. They charge by the hour and an extra £5 for overnight. was a bit of a shock i can tell you paying this much when normally hotel car parks are about £5 a night and this is for 5* hotels i've stayed in. This isnt clear on their website.

*cough cough* they validate parking if you ask!

when we left the hotel i produced the ticket at reception and was told to pay outside at the meter. If this is not correct myself and all the friends i left with who were charged this will be asking for their money back i can assure you. A couple of my friends had stayed from the thursday night and had to pay £35+ !

there is also a sign up in reception to say you have to validate at the parking meter?? i am confused.

Edited by buffy2k