4 guests - enough or not?

isandhlwana

I would be very interested in other ticket holders views.

I have spent £400 on two Gold Programmes with the prospect of spending another £400 on hotel rooms etc.

There are now only 4 guests. OK, Chris and Michael are excellent but still............

The attendee/guest ratio will mean it will be very difficult to get near the stars, they can only fill so much of a weekend and they will be swamped and working overtime.

I was expecting 8-10 guests especially when you consider the number and quality of the guests at the LFCC in July.

All in all I think Showmasters should cancel this event and reschedule it for a date when more guests can be present. A 4 guests line up is a non-starter.

Edited by Queen_Sindel

Not meaning this in a rude way, but can someone tell me where 6 or "4 to 6" guests is mentioned on the websites? I assumed people were basing the number on Eclipse's line-up, but most people on here seem to be talking as if it is a confirmed number. It's a shame it's not a couple higher. Then if 2 people dropped out it wouldn't be quite so bad for potential attendees. I think the difference between 4 and 6 is quite a big one in the minds of people going to these events. 6=good, 5=still quite good, 4=possible disappointment - should it be cancelled, 3 or less=definite cancellation?

I dont know why you would have expected 8-10 guests, come on!!!!!

The event is in a few days so this thread is not helping anyone get on the spirit of an event.

I've been to smaller cons before. 1 guest, 200+ people and it was great fun. Sure more guests would be nice. But i for one wouldn't mind the guests we've got now. Although i'm still holding out for more, lol.

I for one can't wait for Friday and i'm sure i'm not the only one :blink:

"Personally I have to weigh up whether 4=possible disappointment is worth £195 plus hotel plus travel and food x 2."

Yeah, like I said, two extra guests can make all the difference when you consider how much money people are spending on tickets, travel, accomodation. You CAN still have fun at a 4-guest event, but money-wise, I suppose each person has to decide if they personally think it's worth it.

Edited by Metal Gear

This Is the type of negative Topics that should be left of the forum

I dont agree. We're not being disloyal to the stars of the show we love so much, we're discussing whether the number of cancelled guests is worth the cost of the visit. To each his own.

ABSOLUTELY agree

I dont agree. We're not being disloyal to the stars of the show we love so much, we're discussing whether the number of cancelled guests is worth the cost of the visit. To each his own.

I think the thread is headed "Should show be cancelled"

Thats the negative part

By all means everyone has their own ideas on guests

Edited by scruffy

Not meaning this in a rude way, but can someone tell me where 6 or "4 to 6" guests is mentioned on the websites? I assumed people were basing the number on Eclipse's line-up, but most people on here seem to be talking as if it is a confirmed number. It's a shame it's not a couple higher.

It isn't on the website. Mark answered with that number when asked "how many guests to expect?" here on the forum. I think it originally was in an Eclipse topic, but that's where the number comes from.

We have four guests, two of them being main cast. Lockdown didn't even have a main cast member, and the people going there had a great time. At least I know I did. By no means the guests were swamped there, in fact most of them even attended the parties.

I don't think Chevron 7 will be much bigger crowd wise. Didn't somebody who ordered after Claudia was announced posted he had ticket 120 something? So no, the guests won't be swamped or working overtime.

Those Massive Events shows are nowhere as big as Comic Con or Collectormania. It's not even the same type of event. While Collectormania/Comic Con focus on the signing part, the Massive Events shows do focus on the stage talk/Q&A part.

This is a full weekend convention and no signing show. 6 guests are an absolutely realistic number for any Stargate convention. Morden and others will be able to confirm that. :blink:

I've seen events with more than 6 guests, but those were during the peak times of the show with 1500+ tickets sold. Either that or you had to pay extra for each and every autograph, plus a fee for the Standard Ticket that was about the same as here.

EDIT: For the record, I have a Gold Pass and I booked the minute they went on sale.

I've met all the guests more than once and yeah, it would have been nice to see somebody knew. But I knew I would be lucky if they got someone I hadn't met yet.

It's going to be a great show, Michael & Chris are so much fun together.

And honestly speaking, do you seriously expect SM to cancel an event two days before it starts?

Edited by Queen_Sindel

This may be a little naive of me, but it might be useful to the fans if it were on the websites for the events. Like for Better Than Life where people didn't know if 2 was all they were getting. Or Chevron where people are upset that it's gone down to 4. Maybe if each website stated "We AIM to have 4 to 6 guests" it would stop some people raising their hopes unnecessarily? As it is, we only have a number that has been passed on from event to event by word of mouth (so to speak).

This may be a little naive of me, but it might be useful to the fans if it were on the websites for the events. Like for Better Than Life where people didn't know if 2 was all they were getting. Or Chevron where people are upset that it's gone down to 4. Maybe if each website stated "We AIM to have 4 to 6 guests" it would stop some people raising their hopes unnecessarily? As it is, we only have a number that has been passed on from event to event by word of mouth (so to speak).

The "4 to 6 guests" is a quote from Mark. From the forum. Which is linked on the website.

Lizzy has already said that the website states a maximum of 6 guests. I can't find it right now, but I am sure she isn't imagining things. :blink:

This may be the seasoned convention goer in me speaking: but if you are not sure what to expect, why don't come on the forum and ask, or e-mail to one of the several addresses and ask? Maybe even call?

Edited by Queen_Sindel

But...you said earlier it wasn't on the website.

I know Mark said it, you mentioned that previously, but you also said it was for Eclipse. I mean adding the relevant number of guests to each website, instead of a number which was relevant to Eclipse, and which people who don't use the forum wont be aware of.

Edited by Metal Gear

ABSOLUTELY agree

People have a right to say if they are unhappy. Otherwise event organisers would assume they were all happy and wouldn't have to try harder for the next time.

Personally less than 5 people for a ONE day event wouldn't be worth my time. But that's just me. I've not signed up for the Hub yet.

Noone is saying that people cant give opinions on guests etc, what I personaly find negative is the heading.

Discussing guests etc is normal but to ask about cancelling a few days before an event with still good guests is very unusual to say the least

But...you said it wasn't on the website earlier.

Sorry, I didn't see the "6" in your original post, I only saw the "4 to 6 guests" bit, hence I was only referring to this.

Lizzy will be able to point out to you where the "maximum six guests" is on the website. I really don't know what more can be done than this.

Eclipse was the "original" Massive Events convention so to speak. So if we are not told differently, we have always treated the "Eclipse rules" as General Rules.

Personally less than 5 people for a ONE day event wouldn't be worth my time. But that's just me. I've not signed up for the Hub yet.

We have 4 people for a three day event. :blink:

Noone is saying that people cant give opinions on guests etc, what I personaly find negative is the heading.

Discussing guests etc is normal but to ask about cancelling a few days before an event with still good guests is very unusual to say the least

That's what I think as well. The heading gives a very negative impression, and this is why I will be changing it now. :D

I agree, asking for an event cancellation two days before the show is unrealistic as long as not all guests are suffering from a stomach bug or something.

Edited by Queen_Sindel

All i can say is yes ok some good guests have cancelled but theres still 4 fantastic guests going, plus all of the stargate fans which will make the partys fun. This is going to be my first con like this and even if 1 guest was going i will still be there!!!!!

Lizzy has already said that the website states a maximum of 6 guests. I can't find it right now, but I am sure she isn't imagining things. :D

lol maybe I am!! I looked and couldn't find it :blink: Admittedly I haven't looked at the Chevron site before, but I have ALL of the others, to see SM's guest expectations, and They all have the same number- "maximum of six guests".... but I can't find it on Chevron... possibly just an error or something, so me being silly lol.

I wasn't speaking for myself, as I have been to enough conventions to know how things work. Just suggesting a way of making it clearer to joe-public who don't know about Eclipse and aren't interested in chatting on a forum. Most of the ill-feeling from people regarding these conventions seems to stem from complaints about the amount of guests, so I just thought if people were made well aware of how many they were HOPING to get, it might stop people complaining afterwards? :-)

• Showmasters Admin

We have this every time!

We said there will be 4 to 6 guests and that is what we planned for. We have 2 regular guests and 2 leads and have 300 fans attending so the numbers are in the fans favour. This way you will get closer to the guests!

So to read "Should the show be CANCELLED" just before every event is very silly! Just look at it this way, most of you are happy with the guest line up at LFCC, but we lost J. August Richards there. Should we cancel it? No that would be crazy!!

The same go's for Chevron 7. Many people have booked flights, travel, hotels etc some of which is not refundable so they would lose out on all that when in fact the event will be a lot of fun and we have some great guests!

As to 8-10 guests i do not know were you got that from but if you work out the maths on a maximum people attending of 800 you would see this is not possible for any event of this size to pay for 8 to 10 guests and survive!

As to the LFCC in July, it is not a Stargate convention its the London Film and Comic Con, a different beast all together!

I hope you can see were we are coming from here.

Jason :blink:

lol maybe I am!! I looked and couldn't find it :blink: Admittedly I haven't looked at the Chevron site before, but I have ALL of the others, to see SM's guest expectations, and They all have the same number- "maximum of six guests".... but I can't find it on Chevron... possibly just an error or something, so me being silly lol.

Maybe it accidentally got deleted when the site was updated with the last cancellations or something.

The sites are built so similar, I can't imagine why this one should be different.

So let's say for a moment that technically speaking it is on the event sites and is missing here due to whatever error.

I've asked that already, MetalGear: what more than a note "maximum of 6 guests" would you think would it make more clear to "Joe Public"?

As to 8-10 guests i do not know were you got that from but if you work out the maths on a maximum people attending of 800 you would see this is not possible for any event of this size to pay for 8 to 10 guests and survive!

You have 11 over on the Blakes' 7 event. The Empire events had more than 6 didn't they?

Sure you are talking quality over quantity for more recent series, but they have a habit of finding roles.

Incidentally whilst I often appear critical, someone has to do it. I was never agreeing the event should be cancelled. It's a gamble we all take each event. But loose too many times and the game's too expensive to keep playing.

You might as well aim for 8 guests knowing that chances are 2 will pull out :blink:

Edited by TerraHawk