Major engineering works

Just read on the telegraphs website (I was looking for a specific pic from the paper and noticed it, I dont usually read it!) and there was a bit about major rail disruptions.

Apparently theres going to be problems on the west coast mainline most weekends of the year, however the one that stood out for me is its closure from Aug 23rd till sept 8th.

This now puts my going into doubt as I can get there, but the only way back home is by coach :(

Train takes 9 hours-ish as it is, so id dread to think about a coach, and I can barely handle a coach for 3 hours into london! (I get ill on coaches)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml...02/nrail102.xml

flights take an hour from luton to glasow

coaches take about 9 hour i think from centre of london depending on company - most are night travel so best just to sleep

and trains never used them to head to london so cant be sure of the time it takes from glasgow.

Psychosis, where are you looking that you got a flight costing that much? My return from Glasgow to Stansted for one of the LFCCs was about £45 including all taxes! ;)

I'm guessing I'll go up a couple of days early then, that way I can get my mum to pay for the flight since technically I'll be visiting her. :wub:

If the east coast line is unaffected, you might be as well to go via Edinburgh? It's only 30mins to Glasgow on the train (60mins on the coach) and you get the bonus(!) of seeing Edinburgh in full festival mode :blink:

I think if you use www.thetrainline.com it works it out for you - I tested it on a random date 3 months away and it gave me a route via Edinburgh, 4-5hours.

Thanks for letting me know, I have people coming up the weekend before so I can warn them too!

Edited by kimmi

Im in cardiff so options are very limited as the west coast line is the only accessable one going north from wales, without crossing the entire width of the country first to get to the east coast.

You wont ever get me on a flying metal coffin, and to get the east coast line id have to spend about 3 hours travelling east to london then changing stations, adding on even more time to the travel and id rather not spend the best part of the day on several trains :D

Besides, with the amount of luggage I travel with, id never get it all on a plane, not to mention id never trust the airport with my bags once they were out of my sight!

You have an extremely jaded view of what airplane travel is like. It's more comfortable than train travel for me and I've never (with multiple flights every year to almost every continent since I was born) had a piece of luggage get lost, damaged or delayed. Avoid Heathrew Terminal 5 and you'd be fine.

Edited by Psychosis

• Showmasters Admin

If you won't fly and the train will be pants my only other suggestion is..

1: Drive (although I'm assuming you don't have a car), so....

2: Find someone else going that is driving.

You have an extremely jaded view of what airplane travel is like.

Nothing that big and heavy should be in the sky! When im at events in heathrow and I see the planes come into land it fills me with dread just watching them, and re-inforces my vow never to fly! Also, every time I give a slight thought to flying, theres a crash in the news or some kind of flying related incident. And I know people who have lost luggage on flights and thats before the heathrow T5 fiasco! And bmi baby want to charge £30 per bag for the privledge to fly from Cardiff to Glasgow!

Ive only been abroad once, to poland 10 years ago, and went by coach for that! Doubt i'll ever go abroad again, so most of the time trains can get me wherever.

• Showmasters Admin

Hey showmasters.Its about time we did Collectormania Poland lol.Get all the big guests there that crippsy wants lol.

Don't get Jason started on that one :(

PS: I think Collectormania Hawaii sounds nice :o

Crippsy -- You're a big Wuss ( scots slang for wimp ) :WINCE:

Using engineering works as an excuse for not coming up to Glasgow does'nt work.

I would fly myself, but I don't trust the airlines with my big print folder , last time I flew they had to go and find it.

Remember , rail works can affect both ways, given that there's works on the line nearly every weekend now, I could say that I can't come down to LFCC as I would'nt be able to get home on the Sunday.

Yet I'm still going to be at LFCC !! Nothings going to stop me from attending, and you know how long it took me to get home after Midlands!!

What happens if there's ever a Collectormania Cardiff announced? Should I turn round and say I can't attend because of how long it would take me to get from Edinburgh to Cardiff ??

No more excuses now, and get up to Glasgow!! It's not like you have to pay for accommodation!!

• 1 month later...

You have an extremely jaded view of what airplane travel is like.

Nothing that big and heavy should be in the sky!

And the earth is flat and ducking stools really do help you identify witches...

every time I give a slight thought to flying, theres a crash in the news or some kind of flying related incident.

Welcome to the news. Unreported is the fact that every day on Britain's roads, nine or ten people die, and over 500 are injured. Now, based on those figures, you'd never get in a car, bus, or coach, or cross the road or even walk along the pavement next to one, would you?

Worldwide, when you consider all fixed-wing aircraft that can carry more than six passengers, there are generally less than 200 accidents per year, and the death toll is usually less than 1500 per year. Worldwide. (And virtually a third of those accidents are private flights, cargo flights or military flights; scheduled passenger flights are less than 40% of the accidents).

From what I can see, the last time somebody died in a passenger jet crash in the United Kingdom was at Kegworth (East Midlands) in January 1989, since when we've probably had something like 65,000 fatalities on the roads.

And I know people who have lost luggage on flights and thats before the heathrow T5 fiasco!

I know two people that have been struck by lightning. Doesn't mean it's going to happen to me.

And bmi baby want to charge £30 per bag for the privledge to fly from Cardiff to Glasgow!

Three words. Hand.Luggage.Only. Perfectly feasible if you're just going for the day or overnight.

Ive only been abroad once, to poland 10 years ago, and went by coach for that! Doubt i'll ever go abroad again, so most of the time trains can get me wherever.

"Abroad: Out of one's own country. In a foreign country or countries. Away from one's home."

Have fun in Wales, then. :smile:

I think it's understandable as to why someone has a fear of flying. I've flown many times (I've been to North America 10 times or more now) and never had a problem, but everyone has their own psyche and reasons for what they like and don't like. I think some of the posts here are a little insensitive (albeit some of them with good intentions).

• 2 weeks later...

go via edinbourough on the train it's almost half what it will cost you any other way.

my one way fair from newcastle is 6.50 the fair from birmingham is 14.50. you go the other way its something like £40 it's the easyest way one way from london to edinb is 14.50 then the train from there to glasgow is something like 14.50 open return...

hope that helps.