Blah blah ... writers' strike .... blah blah .... unavailable ...

dufresne

Would you pay £15 per signature for the Eclipse guests at MK, or Manchester, or Earl's Court ? Yes you would ! So there's your ticket already paying for itself ! Unfortunately Lockdown isn't going to be a patch on Eclipse, and that's a shame. But we have discussed the reasons to death and with a few weeks to go, it has to be put up or shut up !

Personally, I would rather it was postponed until more main cast can attend - especially if we are only getting one Lockdown per year, and especially as the timing isn't brilliant for other stuff I am up to. I would happily pay per sig for the current guests at a "traditional" SM event because they are all cool, significant characters (if not main cast).

But - Lockdown 1 will be what it will be, and there is little we or SM or anyone can do at this stage ;) So we just have to make the best of what it's going to be. Five or six more autos for the collection and a weekend in a cool hotel with fellow fans and cast from a fantastic series.

Some things in life are bad .... they can really make you mad :crying:

Edited by dufresne

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Personally, I would rather it was postponed until more main cast can attend.

Just to pick you up on that point:

In an ideal world that'd be nice, but as you and I both know, even if they did postpone it there'd still be no guarantee they'd get main cast.

Things could still easily fall apart some other time, and then what? I think that'd p!ss people off even more. I'm just not sure it's a risk they'd be willing to take.

At least now we know what we've got, and we can choose to enjoy it or not. If this event goes well, and I'm sure they'll take into consideration the lack of main cast they've got and the impact on ticket sales, then hopefully they'll choose to do a second event and things work out better next time round.

After all, some events haven't been huge successes but we've had a second go ..

Not to mention the fact that if the event were postponed there would be many people with flights booked, or trains booked and would have paid out money in advance who would lose out.

Also new dates may not suit those who have already booked, and again, they would lose out. Showmasters would need to refund those who could no longer attend (under these circumstances, that is) meaning they would lose money once more.

Not to mention that if people aren't booking with the guest list as it stands, why would people suddenly book just because there is a new date? If people believed that Showmasters were going to get main cast and would book based on that belief, why didn't they book the first time around?

At the end of the day we have five fantastic guests, each of whom have had a good role in Lost, and many have significant roles in other TV series or films, including Heroes, Supernatural and the Wishmaster movies. I think that we should all make them welcome and ave a fantastic weekend.

But I also think that this is just the first Lost event and is a stepping stone to a bigger one (hopefully) next year. I am fully supporting this event and can't wait to see it grow, and just wish that others would book up, go and enjoy themselves too!

It's not just about the guests, it's about the parties, meeting with other fans, and having a good time. I know that I will and I hope to see loads of you there!

x

Edited by scruffy

• Moderators

True :smile:

I like to think that regardless of what people think of the guest list, once we all get there we'll have a great time, and perhaps those attendees that were unconvinced beforehand will consider coming again - not just for the guests, but for the overall experience.

Once a company builds up that enjoyment factor, it'll be able to sell tickets based on that rather than an initial guest list.

Of course this is a tricky first event, but hopefully the only way is up.

I know guests can be a problem at any time, for any event - but I think it goes without saying that the writers' strike was an exceptional circumstance that hopefully won't reoccur ...

..... aside from the fact that the Screen Actors Guild's contact is up in June... :smile:

HOPEFULLY !

Whilst I want it to be resolved without fuss, so that we don't miss anymore of our favourite TV (and from a less altruistic point of view, those other people involved in TV/Film production don't go out of work for longer), part of me thinks it would be another opportunity to see some GREAT guests come over....

yeah i'd actually only pay for 2 of them at the mo but ah well you just have to take what you get

and there's one more guest to come still so there is still hope *just not much lol*

but yeah i'm just gonna have a great time and hope henry wear's the blue shirt :P *thanks clothing dep for running out of buttons!!* anyone who has seen ep 5 will know we all must bow to the cusick lol

I agree with dufresne.:D

I think that the event could be postponed since a long time...

We can have a refund for the hotel and fot the event if the new date is a problem for us (of course we lose the travel... that's why i bought my travel ticket in december for a very very smal price :wub: )

BUT...

I think that the problem of the strike is not the problem...:headscratch:

If you see Eclipse... LOST and HEROES are exactly in the same situation with the strike...

and there has been big names announced for Eclipse (and after they canceled... some of them because of Heroes, some of them because... "no comment" :D )

But there has never been big names at Lockdown. So i don't think the strike is the reason...

The reason of this casting is only the decision of showmasters to announce these actors and not others (but no relation with the strike...)... and the fact that it is perhaps more difficult to have LOST actors. But i have heard that shanon or Boone are dead in LOST :thumbup: Ana Lucia too... so they would be amazing guests and no problem with the strike.

Of course, there isn't not so much ticket sold, so it is difficult to have some main characters, but since the begining I have the feeling that if there has been one other good announcement after hic, the sale of passes would have been better...

Now to come back to the subject whether the event must been postponed or not... I think that if Henry could not come because of the season 4, the event should be postponed... it's my opinion.

If this event goes well, and I'm sure they'll take into consideration the lack of main cast they've got and the impact on ticket sales, then hopefully they'll choose to do a second event and things work out better next time round.

Of course, you're right but... it's not an argument.

If you think about people coming from far (like Spain) and who perhaps have not the possibility to assist to all the event, they will not feel better because of the idea of a second event they could perhaps not assist to.

You speak about a new event, but Showmasters is organizing so much events... they have decided to chose quantity instead quality of event... and it's their main error according to me... When we heard that they have perhaps no time for Lockdown and they will work on Lockdown after G-mex and Eclipse, there's perhaps to much event... For people coming only to Lockdown, they have not to heard that there is to much work with the others events... :thumbup:

All events desserves the same work ! :thumbup:

Edited by sebastianillyria

But i have heard that shanon or Boone are dead in LOST :blink: Ana Lucia too... so they would be amazing guests and no problem with the strike.

Nobody said the strike and Lost filming again is/was the only reason. :smile:

The characters you named may be dead on the show, but the actors may still have other commitments. Michelle Rodriguez was confirmed for The Fast and the Furious 4 according to German media. (I have no idea when they start filming, this is just an example.) Ian Somerhalder has done theatre work in the past.

Other actors may simply not want to do conventions, or at least not yet.

I'm not sure where this statement originally comes from, but I have heard several times that Terry O'Quinn doesn't want to do conventions before Lost is over because he doesn't want to take the mystery about Locke away.

There's so many factors why actors can be not available. :smile:

You speak about a new event, but Showmasters is organizing so much events... they have decided to chose quantity instead quality of event... and it's their main error according to me... When we heard that they have perhaps no time for Lockdown and they will work on Lockdown after G-mex and Eclipse, there's perhaps to much event... For people coming only to Lockdown, they have not to heard that there is to much work with the others events... :blink:

All events desserves the same work ! :YAHOO:

I think that's a slightly unfair comment.

Why are you so sure that SM have not been working on Lockdown just as hard as they have been working on Eclipse? Just because you think Eclipse has "better guests"?

Sometimes you can work as hard as you want, but things simply don't work the way you want them to go.

Edited by Queen_Sindel

But i have heard that shanon or Boone are dead in LOST :blink: Ana Lucia too... so they would be amazing guests and no problem with the strike.

Nobody said the strike and Lost filming again is/was the only reason. :YAHOO:

The characters you named may be dead on the show, but the actors may still have other commitments. Michelle Rodriguez was confirmed for The Fast and the Furious 4 according to German media. (I have no idea when they start filming, this is just an example.) Ian Somerhalder has done theatre work in the past.

Other actors may simply not want to do conventions, or at least not yet.

I'm not sure where this statement originally comes from, but I have heard several times that Terry O'Quinn doesn't want to do conventions before Lost is over because he doesn't want to take the mystery about Locke away.

There's so many factors why actors can be not available. :smile:

I see you agree with me :smile:

I speak about the strike because it's the title of the subject, but i said on my message that I don't think it was the main reason of the lack of main characters and Lost actors were perhaps more difficult to have (and perhaps because they are working... on LOST but not only :blink: ).

So i was speaking about this actors to give exemples of actors who are not concerned by the date's modification of season 4 and who are not at Lockdown :P

But for Hic, we all hope it would not be a problem :uhoh:

I think that's a slightly unfair comment.

Why are you so sure that SM have not been working on Lockdown just as hard as they have been working on Eclipse? Just because you think Eclipse has "better guests"?

Sometimes you can work as hard as you want, but things simply don't work the way you want them to go.

Nobody could prove it... but we are a big number thinking that they spent more time to work for Eclipse than Lockdown :P

Of course... for a LOST fan who don't watch Heroes, he would prefer to go to Lockdown :P (it's a joke), but i think you are some on this forum to be "de mauvaise foi" (i don't know how to say in english) when you want to explain that the Lockdwon casting is exceptionnel. We don't change the world...

Just because an actor isn't working on Lost, it doesnt mean they have NO work. All the actors who have now left Lost are busy with other projects. They aren't just sitting around waiting to be invited to conventions.

Just because an actor isn't working on Lost, it doesnt mean they have NO work. All the actors who have now left Lost are busy with other projects. They aren't just sitting around waiting to be invited to conventions.

Has someone told it ? If someone told it, it's not me... :blink:

I just told that the date's modification of season 4 could be a reason only for actors who are always working on LOST :blink:

So i was speaking about this actors to give exemples of actors who are not concerned by the date's modification of season 4 and who are not at Lockdown :blink:

And I've given you exampled that these guys may still not be available although they are not affected by the date change of season 4. :YAHOO:

As Jael as already said, they are not just sitting around waiting to be invited to conventions (if I may borrow that phrase :blink:).

Has someone told it ? If someone told it, it's not me...:headscratch:

I understood your post the same way jael did - see my above comment.

Your post does sound like "why didn't they get Ian, Michelle or Maggie? They're not busy."

Edited by Queen_Sindel

I hope they are not just sitting around waiting to be invited to conventions :YAHOO:

Because if it was true :blink:

But i think for some of actors (i think to one particularly), their job is now "convention guest" :blink:

Sorry but you have badly understood my message, so I quote me :

So i don't think the strike is the reason...

The reason of this casting is only the decision of showmasters to announce these actors and not others (but no relation with the strike...)... and the fact that it is perhaps more difficult to have LOST actors. But i have heard that shanon or Boone are dead in LOST Ana Lucia too... so they would be amazing guests and no problem with the strike.

It's very simple... I speak about Ian, maggie and Michelle to show that the strike is not the only reason :smile:

That's why to postpon the event is not the solution for all the problems...

My main problem is when I go *lurk* in the Eclipse forum they have so many things announced - not guests - just general stuff for the weekend and we don't. I know that Eclipse is before but there's less than a month to Lockdown.

That's exactly what i mean when i was speaking about "more work for Eclipse than for Lockdown..."

I was not only speaking about the casting, but about the complete organisation.

Some of us told that they are waiting for Eclipse to learn and to use their mistakes to do that Lockdown would be the best event as possible. I don't believe at all, but we have to be optimist :blink::headscratch:

I hope they are not just sitting around waiting to be invited to conventions :YAHOO:

Because if it was true :blink:

But i think for some of actors (i think to one particularly), their job is now "convention guest" :blink:

Sorry but you have badly understood my message, so I quote me :

So i don't think the strike is the reason...

The reason of this casting is only the decision of showmasters to announce these actors and not others (but no relation with the strike...)... and the fact that it is perhaps more difficult to have LOST actors. But i have heard that shanon or Boone are dead in LOST Ana Lucia too... so they would be amazing guests and no problem with the strike.

It's very simple... I speak about Ian, maggie and Michelle to show that the strike is not the only reason :smile:

That's why to postpon the event is not the solution for all the problems...

Ian, Maggie and Michelle might not be affected by the strike for Lost, but how do you know that the films or tv shows they're now working on weren't affected by the strike as well? EVERY scripted tv show or film was affected by the strike in the US, not just Lost.

My main problem is when I go *lurk* in the Eclipse forum they have so many things announced - not guests - just general stuff for the weekend and we don't. I know that Eclipse is before but there's less than a month to Lockdown.

That's exactly what i mean when i was speaking about "more work for Eclipse than for Lockdown..."

I was only speaking about the casting, but about the complete organisation.

Some of us told that they are waiting for Eclipse to learn and to use their mistakes to do that Lockdown would be the best event as possible. I don't believe at all, but we have to be optimist :smile::headscratch:

That I DO agree with. While I believe that Showmasters are working on Lockdown, we're seeing very little evidence of it on the surface. I already posted a thread about this so I dont want to go into it again here, apart from saying again that just a couple of weeks away from Lockdown we still have no info on any of the basic details of the show that Eclipse has long had. If Showmasters leave everything till after Eclipse, then it's only a few days to get everything sorted, and sorry, but that's just not enough time if they want this event to be successful in the same way Eclipse looks like it will be. And that's not just down to the guests appearing, it's everything.

Ian, Maggie and Michelle might not be affected by the strike for Lost, but how do you know that the films or tv shows they're now working on weren't affected by the strike as well? EVERY scripted tv show or film was affected by the strike in the US, not just Lost.

Thanks - that's what I am trying to say, too.

Taken from imdb.com:

Ian Somerhalder - Wake - status: filming

Michelle Rodriguez - Untitled The Fast and The Furious Sequel - status: filming

Edited by Queen_Sindel

Ian, Maggie and Michelle might not be affected by the strike for Lost

Yes, it's exactly what i thought.

That's why i told "date's modification of season 4" more than "strike"

After... we have no way to know if the strike has an incidence on her new job, or if they have already a film in march.

But... i told another interesting thing... which is that if they are not available because of the strike... SM did not know that they were not available 6 or 3 months ago... In this case they could invite them (like they invite Hayden, Zach, Greg) and they would have canceled after... because of the strike...

So we have no way to know if they have not been disturbing by the strike, but if it's true, they have never been announced for Lockdown... If they have been announced and after they canceled, i would agree with your comment :blink:

Taken from imdb.com:

Ian Somerhalder - Wake - status: filming

Michelle Rodriguez - Untitled The Fast and The Furious Sequel - status: filming

Thanks for the news :blink:

It's confirming that they are filming and so there's (perhaps) no relation with the strike.

And if there has been a delay because of strike, SM did not know it in november or december...

Ian, Maggie and Michelle might not be affected by the strike for Lost

Yes, it's exactly what i thought.

That's why i told "date's modification of season 4" more than "strike"

After... we have no way to know if the strike has an incidence on her new job, or if they have already a film in march.

But... i told another interesting thing... which is that if they are not available because of the strike... SM did not know that they were not available 6 or 3 months ago... In this case they could invite them (like they invite Hayden, Zach, Greg) and they would have canceled after... because of the strike...

So we have no way to know if they have not been disturbing by the strike, but if it's true, they have never been announced for Lockdown... If they have been announced and after they canceled, i would agree with your comment :blink:

you are totally missing the point. they WERE and ARE working on other projects, so were probably NEVER available for Lockdown!!! SM may well have known 3 or 6 months ago that they were not available.

Edited by jael001

you are totally missing the point. they WERE and ARE working on other projects, so were probably NEVER available for Eclipse!!! SM may well have known 3 or 6 months ago that they were not available.

I don't miss this point... :blink:

What you don't understand, it's that i don't try to show you that Ian or Maggie were available...

Since the beginning of my comments, i'm just explaining you that the strike (it's just the TITLE of the subject !) could not be given as THE reason for all the actors... It's all... and i think we agree on that.

And contrary... there nothing which proves that what they are filming today has not been delayed by the strike...