"GET IN MAAAAAAAAAAAA TELLEEEEE!!!"

Hobbit_of_Dorsetshire

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've also been fighting my body for a number of years now, I've managed to lose 2 1/2 stone this year, but I have another 4 or 5 to go before I'd be happy. It's going to take me a long time though, as anyone knows, just dieting will eat away at muscle before fat, so I'll lose a lot of weight really quickly, but won't look as good as I (hope I) do now. Ho Hum.

Rant well and truly over.

I've also been fighting my body for a number of years now, I've managed to lose 2 1/2 stone this year, but I have another 4 or 5 to go before I'd be happy. It's going to take me a long time though, as anyone knows, just dieting will eat away at muscle before fat, so I'll lose a lot of weight really quickly, but won't look as good as I (hope I) do now. Ho Hum.

Rant well and truly over.

"Fighting my body"? Christ, how well you summed it up, ptenbob - 'cos that's exactly how it feels for me. 2 1/2 stone? f***ing brilliant achievement, imho; I've lost just over a stone, but like you I'll be happier when I've dumped another 4/5. No, it's not going to be easy - and I think that's what a lot of the mockers etc forget; I'm sorry, but I don't believe anyone who's lost a lot of weight and says it was a doddle.

Oh - and I don't want this to sound patronising, but if you're the guy I think I saw at C4, then you do look good now. *offers reassuring but non-soppy hugs*

Edited by yeltz-lass

I was at the doctors and I missed it; sorry Nick; how about you give us all a run down of it?

And as for them saying people who are not stick thin are lazy, I would just like to point out that in most things I am fitter than my thinner counter part; I just don't seem to lose weight even when I really try. Hell I did everything the guy wanted us to do at the activity weekend when the thinner of the bunch didn't complete everything! *jumps up and down* heh heh.

"Fighting my body"? Christ, how well you summed it up, ptenbob - 'cos that's exactly how it feels for me. 2 1/2 stone? f***ing brilliant achievement, imho; I've lost just over a stone, but like you I'll be happier when I've dumped another 4/5. No, it's not going to be easy - and I think that's what a lot of the mockers etc forget; I'm sorry, but I don't believe anyone who's lost a lot of weight and says it was a doddle.

Oh - and I don't want this to sound patronising, but if you're the guy I think I saw at C4, then you do look good now. *offers reassuring but non-soppy hugs*

I was the guy with the brown/blonde spiky hair, goatee, white vest and leather jacket, so if it was me:

:P

Thanks hun, it's taken a hell of a lot of hard work, I'm talking serious dedication, to the point of unhealthiness sometimes.

This of course raises issues about the natural state of our body, is it right to spend all this energy trying to turn ourselves into something that we're biologically predisposed not to be?

I'm just having one of those "baggy" days. maybe tomorrow I'll be back into a vest.

Anyone in our predicament knows exactly what I mean.

Thanks for the kind words of those who saw the ol' rogue braving the Orange One - who incidentally is a master of making people feel at ease. A little oily for some tastes, but the man is a master of his craft. Respect to him for that at least.

I made an effort to be brief because I know what I am like when I go off on one, so I was quite pleased at my contribution (self-discipline again!). However, there are a few points I would like to clarify and say a little more on here while I have the chance...

As I have posted before in other threads, one of the hardest issues facing all of us is learning to like oneself. Many of us look in the mirror and may not like who is looking back at us for all sorts of reasons. Therefore finding the willpower to take control of a situation and make positive steps towards change can be very difficult. There are sources of support though, and all of these should be sought out and explored:

1) Family and friends - negative jibes about "getting off your fat spam" etc do no good at all of course. What is required is postive encouragement. Not all those close to you may take this approach, but some will understand - so take the support from those sympathetic and talk to them about how you feel.

2) GP - As mentioned in the programme, doctors can advise on basic healthy living skills and also refer you to a dietician or counsellor should that be deemed necessary. I think the idea of Government subsidy for gym membership is a good one. I don't often agree with Tony Blair, but I support his view that GPs should be able to prescribe this INSTEAD of drugs which should only really be used as a last resort in my opinion.

3) Counselling and Self-Help Groups - As mentioned above, a professional counsellor may help in some cases. In particular, they will be able to help those who over-eat as a comfort thing and then are caught in the vicious cycle of being depressed about over-eating and then eating to cheer oneself up. The key thing here is to address the depression and self-esteem issue BEFORE embarking on the battle to lose weight and tone up.

As well as specific diet clubs, there are also self-help groups such as Overeaters Anonymous where support and companionship from others facing the same issues can be found. Nobody needs to feel alone.

To end this jibber, I shall leave you with the closing line of one of the most inspirational tunes of recent years...thanks to the inimitable Marshall Mathers III:

"You can do anything you set your mind to, man..."

:vader:

Edited by Hobbit_of_Dorsetshire

As I have posted before in other threads, one of the hardest issues facing all of us is learning to like oneself. Many of us look in the mirror and may not like who is looking back at us for all sorts of reasons. Therefore finding the willpower to take control of a situation and make positive steps towards change can be very difficult.

Hell yeah, I couldn't have put that any better myself.

My guess is that I'll never be happy with the way I look, I'm quite immature in that aspect, I won't settle untill I can see what I would class as a perfectly toned and muscly body in the mirror.

The unfortunate thing is though, with my muscle structure, this is almost impossible.

I end up in a spiral of self-pity, the results are never pretty.

Gotta agree with the Mathers.

I missed HoD TV debut and am mightly pissed off!  :angry:

Not one to watch Kilroy, this was one I would have liked to have seen!

Strictly speaking that wasn't my TV debut...

I appeared on a programme a few years back about access to public buildings and restaurants for disabled people. Kind of Roger Cook/Kenyon Confronts-style...

I had long hair then too...and was wearing an army camouflage jacket...and I made the manager of a branch of one restaurant very upset because he recognised me from a previous visit, so he knew that I knew they had no wheelchair-accesible toilets! :lol:

I also had to eat two enormous pizzas (on the TV companies expenses!) so the cameraman could film me eating (him outside the window some of the time) for link shots!

Oh the glamour of televison!

*coff*

:blink:

Edited by Hobbit_of_Dorsetshire

As I have posted before in other threads, one of the hardest issues facing all of us is learning to like oneself. Many of us look in the mirror and may not like who is looking back at us for all sorts of reasons. Therefore finding the willpower to take control of a situation and make positive steps towards change can be very difficult.

Have to admit, I have been feeling a lot more positive about myself lately, not in a vain way of course, just accepting things; and um having scruffy hair! YAY for scruffy hair!

Thanks for the kind words of those who saw the ol' rogue braving the Orange One - who incidentally is a master of making people feel at ease. A little oily for some tastes, but the man is a master of his craft. Respect to him for that at least.

I made an effort to be brief because I know what I am like when I go off on one, so I was quite pleased at my contribution (self-discipline again!). However, there are a few points I would like to clarify and say a little more on here while I have the chance...

As I have posted before in other threads, one of the hardest issues facing all of us is learning to like oneself. Many of us look in the mirror and may not like who is looking back at us for all sorts of reasons. Therefore finding the willpower to take control of a situation and make positive steps towards change can be very difficult. There are sources of support though, and all of these should be sought out and explored:

1) Family and friends - negative jibes about "getting off your fat spam" etc do no good at all of course. What is required is postive encouragement. Not all those close to you may take this approach, but some will understand - so take the support from those sympathetic and talk to them about how you feel.

2) GP - As mentioned in the programme, doctors can advise on basic healthy living skills and also refer you to a dietician or counsellor should that be deemed necessary. I think the idea of Government subsidy for gym membership is a good one. I don't often agree with Tony Blair, but I support his view that GPs should be able to prescribe this INSTEAD of drugs which should only really be used as a last resort in my opinion.

3) Counselling and Self-Help Groups - As mentioned above, a professional counsellor may help in some cases. In particular, they will be able to help those who over-eat as a comfort thing and then are caught in the vicious cycle of being depressed about over-eating and then eating to cheer oneself up. The key thing here is to address the depression and self-esteem issue BEFORE embarking on the battle to lose weight and tone up.

As well as specific diet clubs, there are also self-help groups such as Overeaters Anonymous where support and companionship from others facing the same issues can be found. Nobody needs to feel alone.

To end this jibber, I shall leave you with the closing line of one of the most inspirational tunes of recent years...thanks to the inimitable Marshall Mathers III:

:lol:

i wanna cry! sumone give the guy a hug, he's so great!

thanks for the advice HoD! i'll see ya at the meet! :vader:

;)

i wanna cry! sumone give the guy a hug, he's so great!

thanks for the advice HoD! i'll see ya at the meet! :rolleyes:

I love this guy! :D

I was at the doctors and I missed it; sorry Nick; how about you give us all a run down of it?

And as for them saying people who are not stick thin are lazy, I would just like to point out that in most things I am fitter than my thinner counter part; I just don't seem to lose weight even when I really try. Hell I did everything the guy wanted us to do at the activity weekend when the thinner of the bunch didn't complete everything! *jumps up and down* heh heh.

*high-fives Cushy* You go, girl - you really are proving that the thing about bigger people being lazy is crap. ;) And there may be a perfectly simple medical reason for why you don't lose weight easily - but even so, at the end of the day you're a person, not an ideal weight or dress-size. :(

And as for them saying people who are not stick thin are lazy, I would just like to point out that in most things I am fitter than my thinner counter part; I just don't seem to lose weight even when I really try.  Hell I did everything the guy wanted us to do at the activity weekend when the thinner of the bunch didn't complete everything!  *jumps up and down*  heh heh.

*high-fives Cushy* You go, girl - you really are proving that the thing about bigger people being lazy is crap. ;) And there may be a perfectly simple medical reason for why you don't lose weight easily - but even so, at the end of the day you're a person, not an ideal weight or dress-size. :(

*high fives Yeltz back*

My guess is that some of us are just meant to be cuddly monsters! :D And go you with the exercising!

Have to admit, I have been feeling a lot more positive about myself lately, not in a vain way of course, just accepting things; and um having scruffy hair! YAY for scruffy hair!

HOORAY for scruffy hair! I think I managed to tame the the HoD hair beast sufficiently...otherwise the Orange One may have been at risk of being mauled in gruesome fashion. THE HAIR truly has a life of its own at times, and may have got over-excited if it realised it was broadcasting to the nation...

Not so much as An American Werewolf in London...

More An Uncontrollable Hairbeast in Teddington!!!

:blink: