The future of Cosplay @ Collectormania is here

Ladyd

Hey there *waves*

Please allow me to introduce my self, i'm a woman with a love for all. Film/TV/Manga/Anime/Comics & Video Games...i've been cosplaying for about 7-8 years, have entered and still do many a fancy dress and events and conventions. It seems my talent for not only cosplay has been recognised but also my organisational skills at events to the point that i have been asked to run the Fancy dress at Showmasters events and i have greatfully accepted the role.

What i need though is your help, obviously without people in fancy dress there can be no competition so i'm here to tell you whats NEW, what i'm planning and if you can think of anything YOU would like to see happen to improve the show then let me know.

Cosplay in whatever area you choose is an amazing skill and i would like to get more of the Anime/Game crowd attending, there wont be time on stage to do a skit just yet unfortunatly or to have a group entry but i'm working on that cos i go to build up a crowd to be able to supply a huge show and things have to start some where.

For the time being you will be able to apply for the show at the event untill word spreads around and it becomes more widely known, you can bring your own music aswell if you wish. We are arranging changing rooms and hopefully the chance to get a pro picture taken of your outfit, cash prizes plus runners up goodie bags, were also hoping for a celebrity Judge or two.

If you know of any traders who sell cosplay stuff like outfits or accessories PLEASE let me know more , as having them at the shows would be a bonus and i'm sure we can arrange something for everyones benefit.

Hope to be seeing you all and checking out your amazing outfits at the events.

*glomps you all*

Ladyd

Does anyone have any questions?

[Edit]

There are now 3 sections to the competition

Stage & Screen

Anime, Comic & Game

Origional Ideas

You will be awarded for Accuracy, Craftsmanship and Resemblence, with an extra point awarded at the judge's discretion.

Edited by Ladyd

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will you be at the Manchester collectormania in the G-mex place?

Yes I will be at the Manchester event in Central Hall (formally the G-Mex Centre) and will hopefully be building up a reputation for Milton Keynes & LFCC lol.

we should be doing a fancy dress both days in the afternoon (more details when it's confirmed) but generally i'll be at midlands, Manchester, milton keynes and LFCC.

I thought we already had a Cosplay organiser too... :D Weird.

Removing skits and group entries pretty much rules me and my friend out.

We have to enter as a group, because he's pretty useless without me, and Phoenix Wright tends to suffer without skits being involved.

We're going to G-Mex 4, if that has any bearing on anything.

Seriously, don't remove group entries, you may ruin my chance of showing my updated costumes. :(

And anyway, what happened to the other cosplay organiser? Why did it change?

Good point.

The ones I saw at C12 had group entries, and didn't slow things down. Nor did any of the skits. Ok you may be new to the organising of cosplay etc, at showmasters events. But as they say 'If it an't broke dont fix it.'

Also will the changing rooms be limited to those taking part in the cosplay, or can anyone with a costume use them. That's as I expect a number of furries to be at both the Midlands and MK events. And they will need somewhere to change.

First of all no offence but some ppl need the group entries. Because like myself, my friend Emma and I cosplay as Lucius and Draco Malfoy from Harry Potter and generally wen we do these costumes we do it together. Also if u read some of the other posts other group cosplays have been organised such as : Order of the Phoenix, Rocky Horry Picture Show, Black Hawk Down, general Harry Potter, Peter Pan, X-Men and many others. The skits I'm not too bothered as I tend to just walk on and pose thats about it. But I do love watchin the skits.

Shouldn't u be asking cosplayers wot they want??

Any questions??

Removing skits and group entries pretty much rules me and my friend out.

We have to enter as a group, because he's pretty useless without me, and Phoenix Wright tends to suffer without skits being involved.

i'm not removing them altogether, i'm just trying to work hings aout at the moment, based on how long there is on stage and how many entries there is estimated to be, i've never been to the midlands or manchester shows so this so i'm basing my knowledge of events from what i've seen personally and what i've doing for the past 3-4 years professionally.

thats why at the moment it's a sign up on the day thing so i can get an idea of how many people roughly show up at each event as different areas of the UK bring a different amount of people, i'm trying to work groups in and if not many people attend the show then skits will be allowed obviosly allowing only a short time on stage.

give me a chance i always try my best to make everyone happy though i know it's not always possable once i get an idea of how things are at each event i can estimate the turn out and make it better for everyone and hopefully equiping for all your needs...this encludes doing skits.

And anyway, what happened to the other cosplay organiser? Why did it change?

This i have no answer for, i'm afraid i'm on the receiving end and was asked as i have the knowledge and experiance in events, cosplay and on stage performance work.

Also will the changing rooms be limited to those taking part in the cosplay, or can anyone with a costume use them.

they will be available to anyone with a costume not just the entries.

and i'm sure once i get the midlands show out of the way i'll have more of an idea of what you guys n gals are use to and what you like, if the skits didn't bother the show before it should be fne but you can always ask on the day whats going on as by then i would have sorted out some sort of grouping schedual.

as they say "it'll be alright on the night" and "you learn from experience" so changes are bound to happen to make things great for everyone.

• Showmasters Admin

Emily Bastian is our organiser and she does a bloody good job.

Group entries make uop the majority for all of us.

yes we all agree Emily did a outstanding job with the Cosplay at the events last year and we thank her for all the hard work she put in :D

this year we have someone else looking after Cosplay for us her name is Jackie and she is on here as "Ladyd" and she will be developing some aspects of Cosplay in a difrent way to what we did last year so keep an eye on the forum for latest news and up to date

so if you have some ideas with Cosplay you want to see happen then let Jackie know and we will see what we can do :P

we look forward to some amazing performances on stage this year :D

see you all soon

jason :P

I don't think group entries should be played down, in favour of people who want to perfom, personally.

I think if this is going to happen, it's not really fair. Cosplay is just that. Wearing costumes. Most cosplayers I know don't perform, nor would they want to.

Having performances is going to take away from the costumes, and people are going to be judging on performances, not costumes, which to me, isn't fair on people who do not perform.

Unless you plan to have a category for performing cosplayers as well as non performing ones.

Which to me could get very confusing.

Jusy my input there! :D

Hi Jackie. ('Tis me Emma/Sephirayne) I'm sure you'll do well. I can help with any aspects of cosplay as I've been doing it since 1992 and have attended SM events since C3. So I'm familar with the events. I have also worked professionally in the costume field both on theatre and TV. I was a cosplay judge at Collectormaina Manchester last year and would be more than happy to take that role again.

A couple of suggestions might help.

More notice of cosplay events on webiste and at the event.

Although drama's can be fun I recommend that they should be a different event if they are to happen at all.

Clear guidelines regurading the comps should be made avalible in advance of the events.

I think group entries should stay but limit the number of people in the group.

I think Emily did a great job. I know LadyD and I'm sure she'll do a great job also. I'm happy to help where ever I can.

Basically i'm starting from scratch and from my own experiance of events and Cosplay competitions, i'm going to start of light and go from there.

OK yes i will be cutting skits from the show and i mean this in the nicest way possable but they do take up time and with only 1 hour to use (40mins of actual show time for Cosplayer) and a lot of applicants it's just not possable at the moment.

I will be allowing up to 1 min per applicant to come on stage maybe do something that showes off their costume for eg; someone dressed as Electra comes on does a few martial art moves and poses for photos then walks off, ok some of you may consider that a skit but let me make it clear that a Skit for me is a group of people taking the Micraphone and doing something funny which can take up to 3 mins or so.

Group entry's are being put on hold for the time being and shouldn't stop anyone from entering their costume as a single entry as it's a competition based on what YOU as an individual have created, whether your a novice or Pro you can decide for yourself where you place yourself when you sign up but you will be judged on your costume & creativity on stage to show it off.

There will be cash prizes for 1st & 2nd places and goodie bags for runners up.

Emily will hopefully be staying as a resident judge for what ever events she's able to attend so don't worry she's dissapearing from the scene completely and may in the process give me a few pointers.

First of all no offence but some ppl need the group entries. Because like myself, my friend Emma and I cosplay as Lucius and Draco Malfoy from Harry Potter and generally wen we do these costumes we do it together. Also if u read some of the other posts other group cosplays have been organised such as : Order of the Phoenix, Rocky Horry Picture Show, Black Hawk Down, general Harry Potter, Peter Pan, X-Men and many others. The skits I'm not too bothered as I tend to just walk on and pose thats about it. But I do love watchin the skits.

Shouldn't u be asking cosplayers wot they want??

Any questions??

The way things are at the moment, i'm starting at the beginning and hopefully the competion should grow, even though groups are being taken off for the time being it should stop both of you from entering seperatly as you are being judged on your outfit and not by who your with.

there may be a chance that one day we can do single entries and the next day we can do groups it's something i have considered but i cannot say anything for deffinate right now also group entries tend to do skits so that might be something to consider as well, a day purely for groups who want to do skits...cash prizes again for best entries.....what do you think?

i'll be having a suggestion box for everyone on the day of the event and also anyone can contact me on here with ideas that will all be put into consideration.

Well Jackie I'm sure you'll do a damn fine job of it

Yup I'm sure she will - I know Jackie and she's just awesome when she does Cosplay etc.... :D

heh thanks for the vote of confidance, i'm sure things will be fine...no one likes change really but i'm hoping people will understand my way of thinking eventually and it's not changing that much, i just find doing things like this as my 1st event is in Coventry then a week later in Manchester...it's better not to put TOO much on your plate and get a feel of things and the people and hear their suggestion and thought and take it all into account for future shows.

I don't think group entries should be played down, in favour of people who want to perfom, personally.

I think if this is going to happen, it's not really fair. Cosplay is just that. Wearing costumes. Most cosplayers I know don't perform, nor would they want to.

Having performances is going to take away from the costumes, and people are going to be judging on performances, not costumes, which to me, isn't fair on people who do not perform.

Unless you plan to have a category for performing cosplayers as well as non performing ones.

Which to me could get very confusing.

Jusy my input there! :D

i'm a little confused by what your saying, i'm cutting groups for now but there's nothing saying we'll have a day purley for them and their skits.

i mean would that appeal to people? say 1 day for singles entries and another day for groups and their performance?

Agreed Cosplay is just that. Wearing costumes, and the competition is there to show of what you've created and try and win something for your efforts and if anything just to get it seen and have photos taken of it, as long as you stay on the stage for upto 1 min and show of your costume, you don't have to do fancy moves, you can do a twirl or just stand there and do poses, as long as the judges can see and take in what your wearing that's all that's needed.

Evetually you'll be able to apply for a place online, and appart from choosing music for your part you will need to send a good size picture of the character you are portraying for showmasters to print out for the judges so they can compare the costume details.

Well, I wish you good luck - but you better bring a cute guy/girl with you if you're to compare! ;)

*rummages around trying to find a costume that hasn't been entered in a Showmasters comp before*

Can we have groups at C13 please? If I don't have the money to change a certain costume to a different version I can't enter it as a single costume because it's already been entered in a Showmasters cosplay comp on its own before, I'd need to do it with our group. *does 'pleeeease?' face*

Well, I wish you good luck - but you better bring a cute guy/girl with you if you're to compare! :D

*rummages around trying to find a costume that hasn't been entered in a Showmasters comp before*

Can we have groups at C13 please? If I don't have the money to change a certain costume to a different version I can't enter it as a single costume because it's already been entered in a Showmasters cosplay comp on its own before, I'd need to do it with our group. *does 'pleeeease?' face*

Having groups at a future event is entierly possably BUT i'm not putting anyones hopes up just yet sorry. With any event i have found that if you just can't do something due to lack of money whether it's getting a photo of your fav star or getting that peice of Collectables you've been dying to get...i always stay possative and say there's always next time which give me more time to save or create something. and considering how many event showmasters do i'm sure if nothing is done at C13 there's always the possability of C14

Wiv wot u said...could work. I do enjoy cosplaying but other than my reason of doing my costume wiv my Lucius its also coz I dont really like going in on my own and tend to get alil stage fright. Oh well. May just not enter for now until everything has been sorted out. seems like the better option for me personally.

Well I've decided to make my unofficial cosplay compo, this one will better of cosplay fans.

Groups are allowed, all ages, 50p per person entry, All Money will go to chairty

Professional photo and video of your group (thanks to Univertisy media students)

Music is fine and lil skits 3 mins long max.

Will be held in 2 hotel rooms. with backdrop

Winners will recieve : Pride, Cuddles, Bottle of Champagne and goody bag :)

I will make a website with all the photos and videos for you

Is this better anyone?

Edited by Andy_2_cool

if i go as some one from amanga book would i have tobring the book with me so you know who im dressed as ? aflame xx :D

Well I didn't have to bring anything for my cosplay and neither did anyone else so I'm sure you cool with it all^_^

Who are you planning on cosplayin?