Do you get crap for attending conventions?

Deap

Nearly everyone I know is giving me crap about going! Especially since I'm coming from America, everyone thinks it's a huge waste of time and money, but it's a cathartic thing that I have to do, so screw them. :)

Good for you. I dont understand why anybody who deosnt like it cares!? If my work colleague told me he was going to Stamford Bridge to watch Chelsea this weekend I wouldnt take the p**s out of him!! Well, I would. But thats because Chelsea are dirty and scummy and deserve to be beaten every singel game of the season....

Sorry, I think I lost my point..... :D

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good for you. I dont understand why anybody who deosnt like it cares!? If my work colleague told me he was going to Stamford Bridge to watch Chelsea this weekend I wouldnt take the p**s out of him!! Well, I would. But thats because Chelsea are dirty and scummy and deserve to be beaten every singel game of the season....

Sorry, I think I lost my point..... :D

Setting aside your childish and ineloquent disdain of the club, I think you would be able to take the rise out of your friend for "going to Stamford Bridge to watch Chelsea this weekend" because he'd be on his own; this weekend just past they were playing away at the JJB in Wigan, and this weekend coming they're playing Pompey down at Fratton Park...

:YAHOO:

Edited by TommyT

Until now everyone I told about this con looked at me as if I'm a nutter and lost my marbles. One friend of mine even said that its the most stupid thing to do and a waste of money.

But at the end of the day its still MY money so I can do whatever I want to. :dance:

The only thing I have to do now is tell my parents. Not because I need their approval but because someone has to drop me off at the airport and pick me up again. :YAHOO:

And I'm a tad afraid of what I'm gonna have to get through to get the lift. :D

Edited by Pandoras Box

I can totally relate to all you guys!

My immediate family are fine with it-they watch the shows I watch and like looking at my pictures. While they may not know all the guests, they are interested. My brother would probably be the most supportive and I'd love to take him to Eclipse but he's doing his A levels and my parents wouldn't let me take him.

It's trying to explain to my extended family is the hard part. They really don't get why I do that and I have to fricking justify my actions-I'm 22 years old! I'm an adult and I can do what I want with my money! It's really frustrating!

Some of my work colleagues are fine with it-others I wouldn't even try to explain it to them. What is annoying is that my mum would tell people about what I do and I don't like because then I have to explain it to them all over again! I suppose I get embarassed sometimes, which I shouldn't.

Anyway I think the positives outweigh the negatives because I have met so many famous people from my favourite things as well as many wonderful,fun fans who are amazing and so friendly! I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Well i have been doing cons since Star Wars and only a few of my friends know. The ones that do think it is fab and can not believe that i get to meet so many great people.

My partner on the other hand does not understand at all and wants to know why i want to meet 'has beens' as he calls them. He is just so not into what i am that i do begin to wonder why we are together.....

There is something so great about being surrounded by like minded people that i love cons and will often go on my own. Though i am now starting to take offspring with me and she loves it..especially when she got to meet "Frodo" a couple of years ago.

Now me and my mad sis meet up and go to a few........fab chance to get away from partners.

Have been going to conventions & signing events for about 12 years (am 41 this year).Some people have been very negative in their respsonses to me when the subject has been brought up,some have been 'well it's your thing if you're happy then so be it' & some have been very enthusiastic and wish they could go themselves if not for other commitments.

The people at work are very supportive and are normally asking me when the next event is & where it is & who is going.Normally after the event I bring the autographs I have got in so everyone can have a look & the response is normally 'YOU MET............. OH WOW !!!'

Also in my flat have a few of the photos I have had taken at conventions with guests framed and on the wall & when people have been to deliver something or repair something they have stopped and looked and asked questions about where I met the guest and been very interested.

So yes I am a Geek & very proud of it.

well i haven't told my work collegues where i'm going, just said meeting up with friends....they already know I'm a geek but it seems weird to tell them about it, I like having my Heroes fandom seperate from work

Same here! My colleagues would just not understand (doesn't help that most of them don't even know Heroes and their idea of a good time extends to the vague concept of "weekend").

haha i was at work yesterday and my boss asked if it was ok if he came to eclipse lol.

in the space of a month i have turned him in to a bigger heroes geek than i am lol.

so no one will dare say anything anymore...to be honest i think everyone is just used to me anyway, they just shake there head and say 'she did drama at uni' aparently thats the excuse for everything these days lol

Since I'm from a tiny Wisconsin town, pretty much everyone thinks that the mere fact that I am going to the UK is awesome, let alone what I do there. XD

that is awesome!!

ive been at cons and signings for a number of years and my friends know i go to them and what not but we don't really talk about it - as they aren't into it - but they certainly don't give me any stick about it either. by the way i also enjoy goin out to the pub etc - my family like looking at my stuff when i get back from cons etc my mum was well jelaous when i met toby stephens - as she loves him for playing mr rochester the other year.

Me and my best friend have been going to conventions since we were 16 (we r now 19). our friends have accepted it and we r self confessed geeks lol. some of our friends have joined us at conventions and have really enjoyed themselves.

i am a typical uni student and love going out and drinking and having fun but i would choose going to a convention over going out any day :D

i get funny looks and people are a bit wierd when i first tell them that i go 2 conventions but most accept the fact and end up jelous that i get to meet so many people.

the people who dont accept it arnt worth the time or effort.

as long as ur doing what makes u happy why should anyone else care.

proper looking forward to eclipse btw :D

some people do and some people dont, I dont really talk about it much to people as they dont really get it!

I try not to tell my collegues anything as they are not very nice people and as someone else said i keep my work and social life seperate!

Yeah, one of my coworkers actually got mad at me about it, because he thought it was such a huge waste of money.

whos business is it how you spend your money, you earnt it!! I dont tell people I work with about the costs as I know I will get some kind of lecture! ( they are very opionated at work!)

Edited by leocat

some people do and some people dont, I dont really talk about it much to people as they dont really get it!

I try not to tell my collegues anything as they are not very nice people and as someone else said i keep my work and social life seperate!

Yeah, one of my coworkers actually got mad at me about it, because he thought it was such a huge waste of money.

whos business is it how you spend your money, you earnt it!! I dont tell people I work with about the costs as I know I will get some kind of lecture! ( they are very opionated at work!)

one of the girls i work with ( whos just become my boss and wont let me here the end of it) was like well if you had gotten the job you would have just spent the extra money on rubbish like conventions and dvd's...

i was like hello you just spent £100 on a pair of jeans and a top! at least i get something out of my money i dont drink it !

one of the girls i work with ( whos just become my boss and wont let me here the end of it) was like well if you had gotten the job you would have just spent the extra money on rubbish like conventions and dvd's...

i was like hello you just spent £100 on a pair of jeans and a top! at least i get something out of my money i dont drink it !

each to their own...im the same tho i spend big clothes/goin out. psh!tell her to ef-off

Edited by miss9thwonder

each to their own...im the same tho i spend big clothes/goin out. psh!tell her to ef-off

I'm not into buying loads of clothes/Shoes etc like most women. The few friends that I had at school could never understand why when going to the shops with them, they would go home with like 4/5 bags each where as I might have one or two, and usually at least one had mags in. I just went for the company more then anything else.

I personally don't think there is anything wrong with spending loads of money at conventions, so long as you can afford to and aren't spending next months rent money on autos and stuff from stall.

I'm also lucky cause the only real friends I have (bar three people of which 2 I don't see much anymore) are part of Star Trek group that I belong to, and so when going to conventions most of them are usually going as well

I have one friend in the group who doesn't collect autos but she still comes to the signing events and conventions with us.

My mother once said to me that there were a lot worse things that I could be doing with my money, like taking drugs, being an alcoholic or worse, and that if it made me happy what harm was it doing anyone else.

If it were not for conventions I might not have met my fiance or at least not have met him as soon as I did, who knows he could have been with someone else by the time I met him, so I really have to thank conventions for a lot, a fiance, a new group of friends (I wish I did not use to have many off) and a new lease on life. From being a bit of a loaner I now go to quite a few different places with my friends like cons, camping, bbq etc.

I used to be affraid just to wear a sci-fi t-shirt as I was very shy and wasn't sure what people would think, now thanks to my new life (as I call it) I don't care anymore. You only have one chance at life, and once your gone your gone, so we might as well make the most of it while we can and not let stupid things like other peoples childish oppinions get in the way of us doing what we want, thats why I don't care if people know I'm going to a convention or a signing event and paying just for a scribble from some actor on a pic of them, not any more....

Please excuse my rambling :D

:P

LLAP :smile:

I'm not into buying loads of clothes/Shoes etc like most women. The few friends that I had at school could never understand why when going to the shops with them, they would go home with like 4/5 bags each where as I might have one or two, and usually at least one had mags in. I just went for the company more then anything else.

I personally don't think there is anything wrong with spending loads of money at conventions, so long as you can afford to and aren't spending next months rent money on autos and stuff from stall.

I'm also lucky cause the only real friends I have (bar three people of which 2 I don't see much anymore) are part of Star Trek group that I belong to, and so when going to conventions most of them are usually going as well

I have one friend in the group who doesn't collect autos but she still comes to the signing events and conventions with us.

My mother once said to me that there were a lot worse things that I could be doing with my money, like taking drugs, being an alcoholic or worse, and that if it made me happy what harm was it doing anyone else.

If it were not for conventions I might not have met my fiance or at least not have met him as soon as I did, who knows he could have been with someone else by the time I met him, so I really have to thank conventions for a lot, a fiance, a new group of friends (I wish I did not use to have many off) and a new lease on life. From being a bit of a loaner I now go to quite a few different places with my friends like cons, camping, bbq etc.

I used to be affraid just to wear a sci-fi t-shirt as I was very shy and wasn't sure what people would think, now thanks to my new life (as I call it) I don't care anymore. You only have one chance at life, and once your gone your gone, so we might as well make the most of it while we can and not let stupid things like other peoples childish oppinions get in the way of us doing what we want, thats why I don't care if people know I'm going to a convention or a signing event and paying just for a scribble from some actor on a pic of them, not any more....

:P

LLAP :smile:

most of my friends are comvention type people, this is mainly down to the fact that i work awful shifts and don't have a real life lol.

( the girl wore the 100 outfit on sat night and she put it in the charity bag at work yest! madness i tell you !)

:hathor:

LLAP :P

most of my friends are comvention type people, this is mainly down to the fact that i work awful shifts and don't have a real life lol.

( the girl wore the 100 outfit on sat night and she put it in the charity bag at work yest! madness i tell you !)

aww thats cute about meeting ur fiance having the same interests is v.important!

as for the outfit pez..that bird is crazy?!well at least its going to charity :smile:

Edited by miss9thwonder