Do you get crap for attending conventions?

Deap

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

going back to the original question - no I don't get crap for going to conventions/events.

in fact I have a number of friends/work colleagues who are extremely jealous of the people I've met/hung out with.

Although that being said, I think the fact that I have a few violent hobbies puts people off making comments.

Edited by colonelbluehands

Yeah, pretty much...But I'm used to get crap for attending live concerts outside Italy too.

Who cares :D

That's my addiction. Its my first con but I'm a passionate concert goer. Ive been all over Europe for gigs and been to about 250 or more (I just cant keep track of them :firedevil: ) My friends are used to that but the Convention thing is new for them so they are a bit weirded out by it :P

Apparently... because I'm going to eclipse and because I'm going on my own .... I'm 'having a mid-life crisis' (I'm 30 for christ's sake!) - my friends are concerned - my family would have me certified if they could just for going to this convention!

I keep telling them there are worse things I could be doing ... but hey, it's their loss ... I'm looking forward to it! :headscratch:

Ha ha

I got my ticket before anyone had agreed to go with me. I'm 30 too and according to my mum I should have grown out of all this by now.

Oh well.. I haven't.

People I know just laugh and roll their eyes when I talk about the con type stuff I go to. I always declare my geekdom early on meeting people. Plus anyone that knows me knows my obsession with my "stories" so they expect nothing less than me spending pots of cash to meet people.

AND i get trolleyed when I go out to pubs n stuff.

Geek is the new Cool.

I get crap for being addicted to concerts and conventions. Every time I see someone I know is in London or closeby for a gig, special musical performance or a convention I suddenly develop the urge to attend to one of these events. It's quite difficult finding relatives or friends who are willing to accompany you on these things as well :/

I once encountered two co-workers who showed their horror over how pricey the Eclipse admission ticket is. Sadly the people I have worked with in the past do not have the same level of "geekiness" as I do when it comes to specific fandoms so I never really talk about these kinds of interests openly.

Edited by vash-chan

I used to REALLY be into my music/gigs too. Not so much now as i have a dan mortgage to fork out for lol (bugger!)

Ive travelled all over the country for things and met some AMAZING people, celebs and fans alike.

I travelled to Glasgow from the midlands for one night (7hrs each way!) and the train cost me as much as Eclipse weekend alone! Ive always loved things like this and the people i work with plus a few friends think its utterly barmy! Esp my mother......she also thinks i should grow out of it, well she did until i took her to meet her idols Status Quo, she became a quibbling wreck......she was more shameful than ive been meeting some of mine!! One of my best friends also thinks im mad..........she was 'slightly' raging when i showed her my Backstreet Boys 'cuddles' pictures HAHA! lol gutted!

In the end i dont care....its my 'thing' and i love it....people can sod off if they dont approve!

I once encountered two co-workers who showed their horror over how pricey the Eclipse admission ticket is.

The general admission cost is pretty much the same as all other con organisers charge in the UK. Most don't offer the "gold pass" equivalent though!

The general admission cost is pretty much the same as all other con organisers charge in the UK. Most don't offer the "gold pass" equivalent though!

Absolutely true. The "standard" programme is priced very similarly to other UK conventions.

*cough, cough*...so do I! :YAHOO:

oh dear another one for me to look after lol !

Infact I have this amazing bottle of Polish grass vodka that I've been saving for Eclipse... tis going to get messy.

I once encountered two co-workers who showed their horror over how pricey the Eclipse admission ticket is.

True, true. I think the people I spoke with at work don't really focus their money on conventions so they're not familiar with general costs for admission tickets. If I told them about the gold pass they'd freak.

*cough, cough*...so do I! :dance:

oh dear another one for me to look after lol !

Infact I have this amazing bottle of Polish grass vodka that I've been saving for Eclipse... tis going to get messy.

Good Grief *shocked* ....psst where are you staying again? :poki:

ha ha

If I decide I don't like the Vodka I'll tell.

As for what it is.. exactly that, grass vodka. Cute bottle with a bit of grass in it.

Has been on my bookshel for a while as it looks so damn cool.