CONTRACTS NOT WORTH MUCH?!

rich5wolves

Dufresne is right on the money. Do this, and our star guest at every event will be Jeremy Bulloch. And I mean no disrepect to him when I say, that would be a load of Bullochs.

Kinda OT, but relevant in terms of the "load of Bullochs" :poki: quip, is Jeremy's son Robbie still acting?

ETA: Apparently Robbie's retired from acting and now works at the Foreign Office...but who knows? :D

Some fair comments guys, although some of you actually agreed with some of it without realising it. Just wanted to put it out there to see what people think.

The only one person to make a personal comment was Dufus, unsuprising that but hey.

Indio - see where you are coming from a bit now.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a load of tosh, actors are actors, I bet it would be real good if they turned down a part that may run for years, just to sign some moron's autograph. get real

who are you actually calling moron....the original poster of this thread or anyone who gets autographs?

Edited by Dr Evil

• Showmasters Admin

We get this every time and the same names say it every time

If you want i can solve this in one go. We can just go for guests that are not working any more.

Then we will all have a better life than having to keep going on about guests having to pull out

rich 5 just remember that Mr Lee pulled out of that show because he fell in the bath, and I could not come on here and say it at the time as his agent told me not to. What am I to say when I have been asked to say something other than "he fell in the bath"

In the end some do-gooder that was trying to catch us out managed to get another guest to ring Mr. Lee to see if he had ever been coming to the show in the first place, and it was Mr Lee that told that guest that he fell in the bath.

It was that person that told everyone on here "Its all crazy, guests drop out if they get work"

We get them as and when we can and you going on about it makes me not want to keep trying to risk getting guests that may drop out because they are busy or hot right now

Fans in the US complain to us that the shows over there do not get the big names we get here. We get emails like that every day

People go on about us getting Burt Reynolds back. Well he has never been to a show like this in the US ever.

We get most of the big names first in the world, we work 24/7 if we have to and do a better job at getting 1st timers than any other show in the world and we love doing it, but what really makes me wonder why I do all this is these threads that come up just before each show

It seems to come up to try to put people off attending the show or to worry new fans and then we get 200 or 300 emails asking "do we really have this guest"

So how about stopping before you put something up like this again? It will not change the odds of someone dropping out or being there on the day. It's all down to the gods

Or we can just go for guests that do nothing now

And on the Burt Reynolds thing I have one thing to say. I talked to Burt and he said that every actor should all do an event like this once in their life and he had a great time

But he was not a spring chicken any more. He liked to stand up and shake everyones hand like a gentleman

but it was very hard on him to do that

When I asked him to come back another year he told me that he felt it was the job of a younger man but said that he did enjoy himself and thanks for asking him. So there you go

Rant over

Jason

ps if I take a guest to court over a contract because they pulled out due to work, then I may as well get out of running events as no one will work with me "THINK ABOUT IT" it not hard to work out.

Thank God most guests are fair and nice people

Just wanted to say a big thank you to you. Unlike organsiers of some events I could mention, you are willing to work with us and put on fantastic events, even putting up with a lot of grief that would make other people jack it in. I've enjoyed meeting many people I never thought I'd get the chance to meet thanks to you and hope that you will continue running events for many years to come! Thanks again from a satisfied customer.

Just wanted to say a big thank you to you. Unlike organsiers of some events I could mention, you are willing to work with us and put on fantastic events, even putting up with a lot of grief that would make other people jack it in. I've enjoyed meeting many people I never thought I'd get the chance to meet thanks to you and hope that you will continue running events for many years to come! Thanks again from a satisfied customer.

Here here!

I have attended a few of the shows and am constantly surprised by the quality of guests attending and the variety.

Also the likes of Brandon Routh have cancelled in the past but he came back and there is every chance if the guests put their name down once they will do it again.

I agree the organisers have a tough job attracting the guests and do a great job of it. I'm gutted Tobe Hooper is not going to come this time but its not the end of the world. Meeting the guests is just part of what is a great occasion that i look forward to.

Keep on keeping on showmasters.

:poki:

Just my 2p Jason, but I would say that I think the vast majority of people who come to these events feel that you (and the rest of SM) do a fantastic job. I think any rational person is well aware of the fact that, frankly, sheeet happens.

I don't give a monkeys what anyone else thinks, but I'd like to thank you for giving me the chance to meet quite a few childhood heroes of mine - something that no doubt is going to continue in the future. Thanks.

Edited by MikeDonovan

I think the important thing to remember is that the people that are announced as guests are professional actors, directors etc and not professional autograph signers. These are people who make a living through their chosen vocation in the same way that us "commoners" do. I think it is unreasonable to expect an actor to turn down work for the sake of spending a day or two signing autographs.

Admittedly there are some guests who are signing non stop from start to finish and some who probably only sign 100 autographs over a whole weekend but regardless of how busy they may be the majority of them are still working and still have to pay the rent. If they start turning down work in favour of events then they will stop getting work.

For those people that are ripping into the guests for not showing ask yourself this. If you were unemployed and someone offered you a days work and then someone else offered you 6 months work and they both started on the same day, what would you do?

Every event that gets organised whether it is run by Showmasters or not always advertises guests with the "subject to work commitments" proviso and to state that they have a contract so they should turn up then I fully expect the contract clearly says that if work turns up then would be relieved of their obligations.

I don't think I have ever been to an event where every guest that was announced was able to attend. This is simply something that cannot be avoided and to suggest giving the guests unbreakable contracts then I agree with the earlier posts that the big name guests will not attend. The current system is the only way to ensure that the stars of current films/shows attend especially where the American stars are concerned.

We get this every time and the same names say it every time

If you want i can solve this in one go. We can just go for guests that are not working any more.

Then we will all have a better life than having to keep going on about guests having to pull out

rich 5 just remember that Mr Lee pulled out of that show because he fell in the bath, and I could not come on here and say it at the time as his agent told me not to. What am I to say when I have been asked to say something other than "he fell in the bath"

In the end some do-gooder that was trying to catch us out managed to get another guest to ring Mr. Lee to see if he had ever been coming to the show in the first place, and it was Mr Lee that told that guest that he fell in the bath.

It was that person that told everyone on here "Its all crazy, guests drop out if they get work"

We get them as and when we can and you going on about it makes me not want to keep trying to risk getting guests that may drop out because they are busy or hot right now

Fans in the US complain to us that the shows over there do not get the big names we get here. We get emails like that every day

People go on about us getting Burt Reynolds back. Well he has never been to a show like this in the US ever.

We get most of the big names first in the world, we work 24/7 if we have to and do a better job at getting 1st timers than any other show in the world and we love doing it, but what really makes me wonder why I do all this is these threads that come up just before each show

It seems to come up to try to put people off attending the show or to worry new fans and then we get 200 or 300 emails asking "do we really have this guest"

So how about stopping before you put something up like this again? It will not change the odds of someone dropping out or being there on the day. It's all down to the gods

Or we can just go for guests that do nothing now

And on the Burt Reynolds thing I have one thing to say. I talked to Burt and he said that every actor should all do an event like this once in their life and he had a great time

But he was not a spring chicken any more. He liked to stand up and shake everyones hand like a gentleman

but it was very hard on him to do that

When I asked him to come back another year he told me that he felt it was the job of a younger man but said that he did enjoy himself and thanks for asking him. So there you go

Rant over

Jason

ps if I take a guest to court over a contract because they pulled out due to work, then I may as well get out of running events as no one will work with me "THINK ABOUT IT" it not hard to work out.

Thank God most guests are fair and nice people

So bascially it is down to the Gods not down to the contract. I do understand how it all works, as I said I was merely starting a topic of debate. Some good points on here. As for the Burt Reynolds thing, if he doesnt come back then so be it, its only a bit of fun anyhow. Its not like im planning to go stalk him or something. :hathor:

Jason, I am not trying to worry new fans by saying an announced guest may not actually turn up, thats a fact, but at the same time I take the point its the nature of the beast that this can happen and its not the organisers fault.

The 2 usual do-gooders (you know who you are), thanks for your predictable but obvious answers.

I have not attacked showmsters, I attend most events and spend £100's and I take the points of some people on here, but im not afraid to post something just because of what 1 or 2 of you will respond. Some people object and have something to say about whatever anyone writes.

rich, I actually sort of agree with you, and my mum flipped out when she knew that it was actually possible for actors to cancel. I completely understand where you're coming from... I just don't think there's anything that can be done about it. As has been said, they can't go around ruining their careers by refusing to turn up for shoots or turning down jobs. I guess the contract (do they actually sign one?) is a glorified good will gesture.

• Showmasters Admin

Yes they do sign a contract.

The contracts are for more than "I will turn up, I will pay you!", they'll have a lot more in them about the agreement between SM and the actor. Even down to things like start and end times, confirmation they can be added to advertising material, the list goes on.

Edited by Too Tall

The contracts are for more than "I will turn up, I will pay you!", they'll have a lot more in them about the agreement between SM and the actor. Even down to things like start and end times, confirmation they can be added to advertising material, the list goes on.

Too Tall - is there anything in Helen Slaters contract about "giving "Mike Donovan" a cheeky snog"?

If not, can we have this clause added to her contract ASAP???

• Showmasters Admin

Too Tall - is there anything in Helen Slaters contract about "giving "Mike Donovan" a cheeky snog"?

;) I'll see what I can do, but I can be a bit dyslexic so don't be surprised if it ends up being "giving "Mike Donovan" a cheeky slap"!

Although you may enjoy that more :lol:

I see :lol: There's so much of this stuff most of us don't even think about.

;) I'll see what I can do, but I can be a bit dyslexic so don't be surprised if it ends up being "giving "Mike Donovan" a cheeky slap"!

Although you may enjoy that more :lol:

Anyone mind if I start a queue ?