A little word of advice for cosplayers...

pjrbugeja

This will be of no improtance to anyone who isn't intending on bringing a fake/toy/airsoft gun as part of their costume.

For those of you that are: a word of warning. I'm coming to C11 this year dressed as a member of Strargate SG-1. (Black offworld gear including the boots, tac vest, jacket etc etc). And to finish off the illusion of being a perfect representaion of this member I was going to bring an toy/airsoft weapon to carry. I e-mailed Showmasters last year who confirmed this was fine, as long as the weapon was of course not loaded, battery removed, didn't look real (metal) etc and that I would not be waving it around in everyone's face and making people uncomforatable. So I was happy... Until I found out recently that UK law has changed and any fake guns of pretty much any sort cannot be carried around in public (obvious really but you'd think C11 or LFCC might be different). So I decided to call the MK police station to get permission to bring it anyway. After the female officer went off to find the information she returned to tell me that unfortunately the answer was NO... I was asked to relay this to all of the potential attendees via this forum:

The reason being that no matter how resposible you act, if a member of the public decides to call the police because they are intimidated or uneasy with seeing a fake gun/ bloke dressed as a soldier carrying a weapon (Centre:MK is a public shopping centre in full view of shoppers), then the rapid response tactical armed unit would be despatched and I'd most likely be arrested, banged up for 6 months or shot in the worst case scenario! (Again I'd have to be doing something pretty stupid for the last two to happen)

This is the information I found realting to the law:

"... under the Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2003, which was introduced in January this year, it is an arrestable offence to carry an imitation firearm in a public place without permission, whether or not it is capable of discharging a shot or a bullet. Carrying an air weapon in public, loaded or not, is also an offence. The maximum penalty is six months imprisonment."

It is an offence to possess an airgun in a public place without lawful authority or reasonable excuse

It is an offence for people aged 14-17 to carry an airgun or airgun ammunition in a public place, even if it is in a secure cover, unless accompanied by an adult aged 21 or over.

"There is no law relating to the posession of toy guns, including BB guns, in public but if someone carrying one puts other people in fear or causes distress in any way or degree, then that person is committing a criminal offence. They also run the risk of injuring themselves or anyone around.

If the police are called, they have to react as if the firearm is real - and anyone brandishing any type of gun (real or not, loaded or not) is putting themselves in danger.

So in the case of anyone dressing in Manga costumes, Game character costumes, military costumes of any sort that need guns of some description to be part of the kit, be aware that (and this may never happen) you may have someone complain about you and end up having to answer some hearty questions to the police at best.

Also remember that even if the gun you bring is made of papermache or obviously fake looking to you (plastic, orange tip, over sized Manga version etc) a little old lady walking past doing some weekend shopping might think she's doing her civic duty by reporting a gun in her lovely shopping centre!

As it happens I've now managed to sort myself a couple of resin model alien weapons instead which could not be mistaken for any human type weapon (I hope!)...

And the last point, anyone going to a London con in the future? Don't carry fake weapons on the trains or underground! Or any other public transport for that matter. It may seem unbelievably obvious but it's worth a mention!

Have fun!

The law sucks lol

What about the people coming to the weekend dressed as colonial marines from aliens. Their guns make the costume (in my opinion).

I mean, at G-mex last year they even had a few stalls selling replica weapons! Will the police just make up their mind!!!

If they have specific permission from the MK police then they're not gonna have a problem, but when I spoke to them they said "NO GUNS OF ANY SORT, INCLUDING TOYS, REPLICAS AND AIRSOFT". This would cover the colonial marines and technically the 501st Stormtroopers... Although that would seem silly to me. We'll have to see!

C11 is held in a public place however LFCC maybe classed as private as you have to have a ticket to enter and the general public won't be around. Anyone paying to get into something like LFCC expects to see that kind of thing! I'm just going by what the police told me. As far as I'm concerned I have a Showmasters e-mail telling me yes, albeit before the law was changed...

C.Parkers-Girl got to the point before me! lol

As a Klingon, can I also suggest that people be careful about fake knives as well for exactly the same reasons.

Milton Keynes is a shopping centre and open to people who are not involved with the event, unlike other events at places like Birmingham etc.

I had a bad experience at the London E X P O last year where the organisers tried to confiscate my Klingon disruptor - its made of wood and looks nothing like an offensive weapon!

In itself I would not mind that - I do understand their concerns about safelty and their fear of being sued, but at the same time they were banning wooden guns and plastic knives, a stall was selling Samurai swords -and yes they were stainless steel and sharp!

We all know that a glass or even a ball point pen can do as much (if not more) damage than a toy gun or knife, but my advice is do not take the risk of having them confiscated.

Apologies to the moderator for mentioning non showmaster events - my intent was not to advertise them (because I would not recommend that event anyway) but to highlight problems that they caused.

Kehlan.

Edited by Kehlan

In fairness to the Police, even they see this as a bit of a joke. Unfortunately, this country has a history of kneejerk legislative reaction to tragedy, and (despite extensive evidence to the contrary) the government continues to be convinced that the way to avert the occasional tragedy is to enforce law that gets more draconian with each passing year. As things stand, you now cannot carry something that even LOOKS like a gun, regardless of whether it has a orange cap on the end. I'm suprised our colonial Marine friends have got away with it.

You have to wonder what exactly will be done if someone goes on a rampage with a hammer; or a portable drill, or a saw, etc. No doubt those items will be banned immediately.

Obviously we've just seen a tragic episode in Virginia... but whatever else is said about America they do at least understand that the blame lies with the person who pulls the trigger; not with the guy who sold the gun.

There was that apocryphal story about the Lara Croft gal who got surrounded by marksmen cause a shopper, not someone up on why a sane person might want to walk around dressed in green t-shirt and Daisy Dukes with pistols and bristols on stun, for some reason, got worried.

It'd be more OK if this display was done within the confines of John Lewis/Middleton Hall, but trips to cashpoints ~(ie into 'normal' territory) could pose a problem.

Im going to buy another sword from uniquities, and be wandering around with it for 5 hours again. I got thru london underground without even a hint of someone asking me what i had in a 3ft long black bin liner 2 years ago

I went to the Stargate UK convention organised by some of the people who used to run the Vancouver convention and they insisted that all weapons including my star wars replica lightsabre would need to be checked by the organisors and I was not allowed to play with it or brandish it during the convention. :unsure:

They put a stupid little sticker on to show it had been inspected and approved! They cited the same rhetoric, that they were worried about safety and security and disaproved of weapons, blah blah, yet they support a show that has prop guns and is set in a military environment. :P