NEW GUEST ANNOUNCEMENT - PATRICK STEWART

mr_oo7

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's amazing you got him SM! :whistling: and in all honesty, I did take pleasure in laughing at a few friends that recently paid for and travelled to THAT con (that shall not be named, obv :WAVE:) cause they said "pfft he'll NEVER do a signing event" well HAHA jokes on you guys cause I was saying you'd get him eventually! :poki::dance:

liiiittle disappointed it wasn't a CSI guest Jason :dance: but I'm sure you'll get us one one day ;)

surfy sah xx

• 1 month later...

Just wondering what exactly he'll be willing to sign as he makes it very clear in an (admittedly very short-two question) interview in the current issue of SFX that for him Star Trek was over years ago and was only a small part of his 27 year acting career. This doesn't bode well for the legions of fans who are going to be turning up to meet Captain Picard (because there are still those who can't differentiate between the actor and the role)

Personally I'd rather get an X-Men photo signed but there are a lot of Trek fans out there and I don't want to see a repeat of the Shatner situation where both SM and William Shatner received a lot of negative criticism.

Just wondering what exactly he'll be willing to sign as he makes it very clear in an (admittedly very short-two question) interview in the current issue of SFX that for him Star Trek was over years ago and was only a small part of his 27 year acting career. This doesn't bode well for the legions of fans who are going to be turning up to meet Captain Picard (because there are still those who can't differentiate between the actor and the role)

Personally I'd rather get an X-Men photo signed but there are a lot of Trek fans out there and I don't want to see a repeat of the Shatner situation where both SM and William Shatner received a lot of negative criticism.

Patrick will sign Star Trek stuff quite happily as far as I know. Trek makes his eyes roll because he's bored with it. He did it to pay the bills for 16 years, so you can't blame him. But he understands that certain people will only want to see him because he was Jean Luc Picard. If he knows he's going to be around Trek or X-Men fans, he'll put his Picard/Xavier hat on and smile and put up with people like us while being reasonably pleasant and getting the job done.

He's actually a decent guy when you see him in the flesh as opposed to the arrogant bugger he can seem to be in front of a TV camera. Just don't expect him to engage you in deep Trek conversation at the signing table. He'll say hello to you and that's about it. If you're polite to him, he'll be polite to you.

The best I can suggest is that you get in to his psyche by obtaining a nice leather bound copy of the Complete Works of W Shakespeare for him to sign. It's possible that if you can show an interest in what interests him, you may get more out of him. 500 hundred people asking him the same questions about Picard over a few hours and he'll be off.

Give the man credit. When he has to, he understands what makes Trek fans tick. It would be nice if we could all make an effort to make him tick at the same time.

That's if he signs for more than a couple of hours per day which is the most we can hope for.

500 hundred people asking him the same questions about Picard over a few hours and he'll be off.
Well him being a ST guest he should know that doing a con comes with the territory, I mean this is a sci-fi convention (to him) so I don't think he should be surprised or unprepared for loads of X-Men and ST fans.

Have to admit his attitude change has made me smile a bit over the years, I remember when Star Trek was still being made or there was a film to prodcue he was always saying Star Trek fans got a bit of a raw deal and they werent as bad as all that. Since he started hanging round with his new cool X Men friends he never seems to miss a trick to rubbish Star Trek.

I suppose it can be a bit much when people can't recognise the difference between the actor and the character but as has been said before it does go with the territory. its hardly like he didn't know what he waas getting into when he signed up for the series.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I don't blame him for wanting to distance himself from ST. I met him at a con some time ago, and he was very gracious, and signed my cast photo of the crew of TNG. I was a big TNG fan, but in all honesty I would never expect him to have a 2 minute conversation about warp drives with me. His life has moved on. Seriously guys, the TV show ended 13 years ago, and with one exception (First Contact) the TNG films have ranged from mediocre to absolute and utter s***e (yes, I mean Nemesis). I don't blame him for trying to put his ST work into perspective.

Anyway, to be perfectly frank, I think the chances of him cancelling (especially now) are incredibly high. However, if he is there, I will get an auto from him - but on something from his recent shakespeare run - most probably for his performance in Anthony and Cleopatra.