Question to showmasters?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Dum dumdum Dum didn't you know that Manchester has a big International Airport with two runways and flights from all over the world and Birmingham also has a large International airport.

Both of these airports have great communication links with tte city centres and do not have to contend with the London traffic and congestion charges! Pretty good motorway connections too, unlike the dreaded M25 round London.

Also as a adopted Mancunian I think that it should be held in Birmingham so that those who wish to do so can go on the Tolkien Trail as part of the convention weekend, so don't think just because I live in Manchester that I am advocating this city alone. I have good reason to be objective about the whole thing.

Hellion44 the world is bigger than London. I went there last year for the another show and after travelling all night by coach it still took me another hour and a half to get to the Wembley venue. I would not do that again for anything! so I'm afraid if London is chosen I may well stay at home.

I would love it to be Manchester but Birmingham will be even better!

Hey Dum dumdum Dum didn't you know that Manchester has a big International Airport with two runways and flights from all over the world and Birmingham also has a large International airport.

Well, as someone who has travelled to New Zealand via LA (and via London) - the only other way is to travel either via San Fracisco with Air New Zealand or the Asia route - I have to say that the flights via USA go to London. And believe me - it ist VERY HARD to change the plane after more than 21 hours net in the plane plus the stopover in LA or San Francisco - you absolutely don't want to change the plane again but just find a place to sleep wherever you are standig in Heathrow.

Also it would be much easier for the people from the rest of Europe to find cheap flights to London. And as someone who has worked both at another show and another show the hotel is very important for the con. It must have enough space for the panels, the autograph sessions, art contest, maybe charity, maybe tolkien society and other organisations and - of course - the dealers. The size is very important, too. Shouldn't be too crowded nor too huge, otherwise it's hard to produce this very special another show feeling.

I think the organisers will have to take all of that into account and try to find a location as many people as possible can travel to, including international guests, and which offers the proper possibilities for a con like another show. It won't help to scream "Birmingham", "Manchester" and so on - but as someone who has worked at both another show and another show I'm sure they'll find a fitting location to offer a breathtaking con for everyone - and that's what really counts, right? :poki:

I think the organisers will have to take all of that into account and try to find a location as many people as possible can travel to, including international guests, and which offers the proper possibilities for a con like another show. It won't help to scream "Birmingham", "Manchester" and so on - but as someone who has worked at both another show and another show I'm sure they'll find a fitting location to offer a breathtaking con for everyone - and that's what really counts, right? :D

I think we all realise the organisers know what they're doing and that it'll probably be London anyway. Showmasters have always encouraged its patrons to give feedback and suggestions, and I think that's all these threads are about. Once the location has been set, we'll all get on with it. :P

Edited by wyrdsister

Hellion44 the world is bigger than London. I went there last year for the another show and after travelling all night by coach it still took me another hour and a half to get to the Wembley venue. I would not do that again for anything! so I'm afraid if London is chosen I may well stay at home.

I know, but London is the capital! I should know it was hell travelling in that hot coach all the way from Derbyshire (near Manchester) from midnight till 7 o clock, didn't get ANY sleep at all and went to meet Elijah Wood that morning looking and feeling like a zombie!

I think the travelling is part of the whole experience and I also think it's ok to express my opinion about where I think it would make most sense to be held, as is everyone else. I plan to get a flight to the next convention if it's held in London which will be much more comfortable and I think half the excitement is travelling there but I do understand all the people from other countries might find it difficult to get there but as I said, London Heathrow is right in London so I think it's worth considering having the venue there but anyway, let's see what Showmasters decides...

Love Helen xxx

• Showmasters Admin

Why should it have to be in London???

Excuse me but England does not end at Watford Gap.

Hotels large enough to cater for all the fans! Well you should try looking on the internet. Manchester hosted the Commonwealth Games a couple of years ago and has more hotels than you can shake a stick at, and enough large venues to accommodate an event of this nature. Collectormania is already held at GMex - what better venue?

Birmingham has also got a fantastic network of hotels so don't fool yourself that London has it all because it hasn't!!

And all of these are at reasonable prices unlike London Hotels! We have enough sightseing to keep even the most restless person happy here in Manchester and I know a lot of people would go on the Tolkien Trail in Birmingham which would be a wonderul added bonus. I want to see if they ever got the big statue of Treebeard erected!

Manchester is the home of the first ever computer (invented here) so thank you Manchester for the World revolution!

So come on organisers get your act together and move away from London and give the rest of the country a treat.

its going to be in london

sorry the big hotels with the space we need are down in london and the actors get to go out to the city and play after the event has finished

jason

"its going to be in london

sorry the big hotels with the space we need are down in london and the actors get to go out to the city and play after the event has finished "

So it has already been decided even though the majority of the fans voted for Birmingham their vote was a waste of time!

Helen "London Heathrow is right in London" Heathrow is at least half an hour's drive from London on a good day and that is by slow car cause that is the only way to travel in London slowly. I know I have just been there for the weekend. Even the City airport is at least half an hour's drive away. I know cause I watched the planes landing there from a cruiser on the Thames and it is a long way out of the city centre.

I thought that the artists were going to be there for the fans eg Galadriel's Ball or whatever you are going to call it, so when are they going to have time to go out and play?????

London works for me, although I wouldn't really of minded where it was as I only care about the fact that it is going to happen. London does have the best facilities in regards to transport links and hotels because it's the capital, but that's not to say that the other suggestions weren't good too. I live only 20 minutes from Cardiff but I wouldn't have wanted it there because I want to treat the event like a holiday and go to new places etc. London is a vibrant and cosmopoltan city and I love it. Plus we can get a return to London for only £2 with Megabus.

I thought that the artists were going to be there for the fans eg Galadriel's Ball or whatever you are going to call it, so when are they going to have time to go out and play?????

I wouldn't assume that another show UK is going to have exactly the same format as the "other" event in the UK. another show in Germany does not require the guests to entertain the fans in the evening ... instead there are fantastic parties with bands that have a great atmosphere. Some of the guests choose to attend anyway, but are, in general, left alone to enjoy their evenings with some spending time chatting to the fans anyway.

It's a much nicer format and one I hope is kept in place for another show UK.

London sounds like a very good choice for this event, it's not that the organisers have chosen to "ignore" the fans ... there are probably an equal number of fans who are happy with it being in London. I'm sure it solves a lot of headaches with regards to transportation / organisation for the guests as well.

Ok..rant over..back to lurking :vader:

OMG really, who knew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :vader:

LMAO ok end sarcasm but that came across as seriously condescending and FYI I have flown out of and into both Brum and Manchester airports quite a few times which is what prompted my comment about London being more of a central hub!!

No need to debate it now but just thought I would clear that up!

So it has already been decided even though the majority of the fans voted for Birmingham their vote was a waste of time!

the vote thing wasn't made by SM, if i recall - but instead by another member of the forum, so it was more of an opinion poll than anything else. :YAHOO:

"its going to be in london

sorry the big hotels with the space we need are down in london and the actors get to go out to the city and play after the event has finished "

Helen "London Heathrow is right in London" Heathrow is at least half an hour's drive from London on a good day and that is by slow car cause that is the only way to travel in London slowly. I know I have just been there for the weekend. Even the City airport is at least half an hour's drive away. I know cause I watched the planes landing there from a cruiser on the Thames and it is a long way out of the city centre.

Hi Magoleth,

I'm sorry you're so upset about it being in London, but ultimately, it was always going to be....The poll was started by a forum member, and it was in no way an official thing :blush:, but they are asking what we lliked about TFF.

Reguarding the guests, if you recall, The first Galadriel Ball was opened by the Parkers, but was named so because Julia McGee was hosting it, Julia playing Galadriel for the occassion. The ball was there for the attendees who didn't make the black tie do with the guests. The artists only attended the ball on the last evening of the second TFF, for about 30 minutes after the feast. That was TFF...I don't know if Ring con will worlk similarly:smile:

And I think Jason means after Ring Con is over...plus, if memory serves, the guests found plentyof time to play at TFF ^_^

Edited by wyrdsister

Hi Wyrdsister

Heck no I'm not upset - much! How sad that "ultimately it was always going to be in London - WHY?"

I just can't understand the need for everything to be in the Capital in this country.

In other countries where these kind of events are often held they are not all held in the capitals of the countries. They move around so that others can make it and cost them less money! It is just sad that Showmasters et al could not get their heads out of London and look elsewhere in this wonderful country for once.

Hey don't worry about me. I'm only a little old pensioner who happens to be mad about LOTR. So I doubt if I will make it to London again. I can't afford the public transport, the taxi fares, the hotel prices and the costs of the food on top of the cost of the Cenvention itself, never mind if I wanted an autograph of anyone who happens to appear there.

So I will just have to stay at home and watch the movies again or read the books!

No I'm not upset -- much! So I'll jsut save my money and buy the new DVD instead.

So I'll sign off this site as there is now nothing of interest here for me. Hurray you are all saying I know I can hear you! Bye!

Hi Wyrdsister

Heck no I'm not upset - much! How sad that "ultimately it was always going to be in London - WHY?"

I just can't understand the need for everything to be in the Capital in this country.

In other countries where these kind of events are often held they are not all held in the capitals of the countries. They move around so that others can make it and cost them less money! It is just sad that Showmasters et al could not get their heads out of London and look elsewhere in this wonderful country for once.

Hey don't worry about me. I'm only a little old pensioner who happens to be mad about LOTR. So I doubt if I will make it to London again. I can't afford the public transport, the taxi fares, the hotel prices and the costs of the food on top of the cost of the Cenvention itself, never mind if I wanted an autograph of anyone who happens to appear there.

So I will just have to stay at home and watch the movies again or read the books!

No I'm not upset -- much! So I'll jsut save my money and buy the new DVD instead.

So I'll sign off this site as there is now nothing of interest here for me. Hurray you are all saying I know I can hear you! Bye!

Hi Mogoleth,

I know exactly what you're saying, as you will have noted, if you have read my posts on the subject. And I agree with you that London is expensive and not easy to get to if you're on a budget.

And yet ultimately it was always going to be London...why? I don't know. And this wasn't a taunt by the way, and neither is anyone "celebrating" your departure, my words were sincerely meant.

All the best

Steph

Hi Wyrdsister

Hi Mogoleth,

I know exactly what you're saying, as you will have noted, if you have read my posts on the subject. And I agree with you that London is expensive and not easy to get to if you're on a budget.

And yet ultimately it was always going to be London...why? I don't know. And this wasn't a taunt by the way, and neither is anyone "celebrating" your departure, my words were sincerely meant.

All the best

Steph

Oh dear, um......bye then. I guess wherever it's held some are going to be very upset. Personally the thought of hauling myself up to Birmingham is off putting travel in the country is really expensive as is decent accomadation etc. I guess the guests will prefer London and if they don't want to go elsewhere that's fair. Plus there has been lots of warning and lots of time to prepare. That's my slightly unhelpful take on it.

Helen "London Heathrow is right in London" Heathrow is at least half an hour's drive from London on a good day

It does rather depend what you mean by "London" - it's a big place, but generally, yes, it's half an hour drive to say the West End on a good day.

and that is by slow car cause that is the only way to travel in London slowly. I know I have just been there for the weekend.

Utter tripe. As somebody who lived in London for many years, still goes there frequently, and even commuted for a year from Heathrow to central London, the idea that all car traffic in London is permanently gridlocked is nonsense. There are also other transport options; the Heathrow Express train service will whisk you from the airport to Paddington station in 15 minutes. Alternatively, the tube goes from the airport right through central London - it's about 45 minutes to Piccadilly Circus ( a journey time I don't find unreasonable for many cities).

Even the City airport is at least half an hour's drive away. I know cause I watched the planes landing there from a cruiser on the Thames and it is a long way out of the city centre.

London City airport is about 20 minutes by Docklands Light Railway from Bank, which is in the actual City itself. It's a similar drive time.

It's always difficult when people talk about things on the outskirts of London being a long way from "London", as London is a big place from that point of view. I think the area enclosed by the Circle Line on the tube (which could all be described as "central London") is something like about 6 miles by 3.5 miles, and of course there's also a lot of London outside the Circle Line too. Yes, it can be a fair old flog to the City Airport if you're starting at Shepherd's Bush; it's a hell of a lot easier if you're starting from Liverpool Street as you haven't got six or seven miles of central London to drive through.

I've always found Birmingham a real pain to get around. I suggest that in both our cases, our perceptions may be exacerbated by our relative lack of familiarity with the cities in question.

I've always found Birmingham a real pain to get around. I suggest that in both our cases, our perceptions may be exacerbated by our relative lack of familiarity with the cities in question.

I live approximately 9 miles from Birmingham and can honestly say i agree with you 100% on that statement .

• 2 weeks later...

Do all Showmasters events work in the same way? I have been to 3 Collectormanias in Milton Keynes and have got used to what I have to do to see someone, but is it the same for this event ie Virtual Tickets etc? Plus, is it too early to say if there'll be photoshoots? :P I couldn't make LFCC 2006 but I thought the idea was fab and I'd love to try it at an event. Thank You!

Edited by sami

its going to be in london

sorry the big hotels with the space we need are down in london and the actors get to go out to the city and play after the event has finished

jason

Thank you. I for one, am very happy about this. But of course no matter where Ring Con would be held, lots of fans would be disappointed. I live in London, and it's easy for me.

• Showmasters Admin

Do all Showmasters events work in the same way? I have been to 3 Collectormanias in Milton Keynes and have got used to what I have to do to see someone, but is it the same for this event ie Virtual Tickets etc? Plus, is it too early to say if there'll be photoshoots? :D I couldn't make LFCC 2006 but I thought the idea was fab and I'd love to try it at an event. Thank You!

This is not going to be the usual SM show. All of the other SM events are signing events. Were as another show is going to be a Convension. So it's unlikely to be run in the same way.

My guess is that people will be called for autographs as per their ticket number which is what happens at other Convensions.

Yes it is far too early to say if there will be photo shoots, esp as there haven't even been any guests announced yet ;)

• 1 month later...

Hello you Showmasters !

Do you really think another show-UK will be in April next year.

We still cannot registrate or book the Hotels,

there are no stars announced and I'm sure it's takes some time

to orgnanise a another show.

So, ist it really sure and official that this con will happen in

April ?

Well I hope so much. Dont' like my another show-Blues :huh: