Previous official UK LOTR Event Features

Interactivity is the key. Lots going on, and plenty of variety so there is something for everyone.

For me, it would be great if Alan Lee and John Howe were there, and maybe somehow a drawing/painting workshop could be incorporated...maybe even a sketch of theirs can be auctioned off for charity.

Their artwork amazes me and it would be so awesome if I could see them at work first hand.

As someone else has mentioned, the presence of people from Weta would be great too. They have been associated with LotR forever, and have produced so many fine pieces.

The Tolkien society should be included without a doubt. Thier knowledge and association with all things Tolkien is legendary, and provide a more in depth view of the great man himself as well as some of his lesser known works.

Photo sessions, autographs etc are par for the course, as are guest talks.

I'm sure whatever you decide, it will be a fantastic event. I can't wait :)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stewarded the whole three days at the previous official LOTR con and had a fantastic time.

The only really 'hairy' bit was when the venue staff suddenly ran off In a panic and left my colleagues and I on the doors, wondering what was 'up'.

We found out very soon afterwards that Legolassie/Emma had collapsed. One of the young lads working with us had completed a first aid course the week before. He put his newly-acquired skills to good use in a quite heroic manner, staying calm and doing everything 'by the book'.

I am SO looking forward to another show UK. Every LOTR nut I know is in rhapsodies about it!

Pauline XX

That was only because I hadn't had a break and was too hot. My actor was very difficult to keep up with but I managed.

Thanks for giving me your histroy another show. I have worked as long as you but never with you.

Emma xx

Been thinking some more about the Radio Play... that wouldn't be the same without the amazing foley work of Mr Bruce Hopkins! Bruce is great fun anyway, but the radio play really needs his erm... interesting... take on sound effects. Is there nothing this man can't emulate with a couple of bags of crisps, some water, a couple of cups and an occasional table?!

Of course, bearing in mind what happened last time, I wouldn't recommend using anyone's best table... :(

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Ringwars was great - Mark and Craig repeated it - with some modifications - at another show, and it was terrific. You can read the report of Nadine, who participated in that very special war of the rings - on our Lexi*Con Homepage. As Marc has already linked to the Lexi*Con in one of his posts I hope that's ok. Would be worth to be played at another show UK anyway.

Lexi*Con

Edited by Goldentree

I think it was at Elf in Orlando, during the evening Dessert party they did a game that went down really well. Fans were invited on stage to re enact scenes from LOTR, some went up in groups to play different roles and the organisers got involved as well. It was totally impromptu and absolutely hilarious!!

Edited by Lips

I thoroughly agree with all the suggestions so far.

As already mentioned, the workshops, talks, book signings and demonstrations were all valuable additions.

At Ally Pally everything was visible, they were all in one area with the goods stalls, so we stumbled onto lots of really interesting things we would otherwise have missed (though really noisy stalls needed to be elsewhere – too distracting)

At Wembley it was much harder to find things going on, :YAHOO: I think we missed a lot and ended up mainly in the auditorium. I preferred the “hands-on†atmosphere of FF1.

Regret we never got to any of the evening events (Galadriel’s Ball or the Feasts) so they are a must for RingConUK.

Bet you could improve on all these.

Also here are some other things I would love to see at RingConUK:

· A showing of all 3 films in a proper cinema (surround sound etc)

· A performance of the Lord of the Rings Symphony (ok – I can dream can’t I?)

· A music room where you could sit and listen to the film music (and any other Tolkien inspired music)

· or have the music playing softly in the background in suitable areas – add to the ambience

· Resting/meeting/eating areas/bars decorated to represent places in Middle Earth - eg: Rivendell, Lothlorien,(relaxing) The Prancing Pony, the Party Tent,(eating and drinking) Meduseld, Gondor (meeting) Maybe Weta could help here?

Wow I like the idea of the themed places, like rooms or areas representing different places and settings of LOTR. It's a very imaginative idea. Although won't someone dressed as an Orc look a little out of place in Rivendell or Hobbiton? I hope Showmasters take sit into consideration anyway. xxx

• 3 weeks later...

Wow I like the idea of the themed places, like rooms or areas representing different places and settings of LOTR. It's a very imaginative idea. Although won't someone dressed as an Orc look a little out of place in Rivendell or Hobbiton? I hope Showmasters take sit into consideration anyway. xxx

I love that idea too - it wouldn't take much work to make a little seating ares themed after the Shire, with a Happy Birthday Bilbo

sign and some wooden picnic benches.

Edited by timpe

Hi There :P

I think "The Hall of Fire" was a great concept, where you could go and sit down and rest (if you wanted too, and as many times as you wanted too as well!!..) and at the same time watch and listen to different lectures and stories told by the guests......Oh! and "The Radio Play" at the end of the day was hilarious and very relaxing and sent a lot of people home still laughing and chuckling......Well it did us any way!!!! :lol:

cna i just say that i also thought the hall of fire was great. :o the radio paly was a ball!!1 never laughed so much in,i dont know how long!! plus the "meet,great and siging" sessions were kinda cool too. ya got to meet ya fav actor ANd got ya photo taken with em too. !! oh happy days!!! :P:o

I'm all in for the themed areas. That was definately something that FF was missing. Anything to do with costumes would be great, plus maybe a choir or some sort of musical thing. Just more LotR stuff generally! Plus make it a week long so I can fit in everything I want tot do!!

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd post this here as well:

The old events in the UK were held in quite large venues, (especially the last one) and personally, I spent loads of time running from room to room and missed out on certain things i wanted to see. The main room was so huge, watching people on stage was near impossible unless you were seated on the first rows.

It also caused some confusion about where and when things were taking place. Sign posting is key to any venue, ant this one needs proper posters with times and rooms etc.

The venue should be of the right size to ensure the intimacy that such an event can create between visitors, crew, guests and co-ordinators. Rather than having an enormous venue, I think it's important to look at the things we expect from a venue, facilities such as conference rooms/"cinema", cafes, seating areas, meeting points, changing area (for costumers) etc. These are the things that somehow failed at the other events.

Another issue around the venue is the cost of renting it and the staff needed to facilitate it. A large venue costs more to run, hence the ticket costs will go up. I think it's more important to ensure that as many fans as possible will be able to come to the event by keeping the costs down. By making sure the tickets are affordable (on top of travel costs and accomodation) more people will attend.

Es x (also posted this in another thread as the subject is similar...)

I like most of the ideas being throw around at this time. I esp like the idea of all three movies being shown at a decent cinema. Tho i would prefer it to be the extended editions :P

Costume comps and such like are always a good way to get the attendees involved as are art and poetry comps.

Themed rooms would also be nice. Plenty of seating in a relaxed atmosphere is a good thing.

Also, if theres to be a party/dj can we have a wider range of musical tastes catered for? As usually its just pop with the occassional rock track added. At another show they actually played some Goth music which suprised me but it made it more bearable for those of us that are not to keen on mainstream music :)

We need a not to big venue, thats easy to get to, fairly central, not too expensive with quite a few non expensive hotels and B&B's nearby. This would cater for all those wanting to attend and make it easier on them.

Actually I should point out that the idea of themed rooms and atmosphere was suggested to the TFF organisers after the first one and I think they wanted to do that but the venue were really sucky about what could or couldn't be used because of fire regulations (in a non-smoking venue?), and the place had been picked as it offered a big theatre to show the films in and do the costume show.

Actually I should point out that the idea of themed rooms and atmosphere was suggested to the TFF organisers after the first one and I think they wanted to do that but the venue were really sucky about what could or couldn't be used because of fire regulations (in a non-smoking venue?), and the place had been picked as it offered a big theatre to show the films in and do the costume show.

TFF organisation were all for banners and decoration for the venue, but as D20 said, Wembley had a big thing for risk assessments... :smile:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there

As others have mentioned, at the FF the art/poetry competition was great, Tolkien fans love getting their creative juices flowing, and the promise of prizes really perks us up!

The big hall at FF was great, when I 1st sat down and 'Taking the hobbits to Isengard' came on, I laughed my ear tips off!

A party on the saturday night would be great, a chance for fans to meet, drink, dance (to the songs like the time warp in full costume attire etc!) and basically have fun.

Advertising is key - its amazing how many fans dont hear about these avents. I would recommend posting on all LOTR forums (Tolkien society, LOTRGUIDE, Shadow & Flame, SSW collectors etc etc)

Actually I've just posted about it on lordoftheringsguide.com!

Looking forward to this, question is do I come Elven or witchking??!

And more importantly, will the security allow me in with my U.C replica weapons strapped to my back or waist?!