University

Alx

The thing is, Glasgow Caledonian and Strathclyde have both said I'd be considered a home student. Bristol's said overseas and Bournemouth haven't told me. Surely they should all go by the same regulation system?

957507[/snapback]

Scottish university fees and funding are one of the things that are governed by the Scottish Parliament, rather than London, so they may have different regulations to those in England & Wales. However, if you get different answers from establishments in England (& Wales) I would put it down to one of three possibilities:

* somebody at one of the establishments has misunderstood the details of your situation

* somebody at one of the establishments is out of touch with the regulations

* one of the establishments is using its discretion to treat you as a home student rather than an overseas student, because they really want you to come there. (Not *you* specifically, but students in your position, since there is a pressure to get students in).

There might be other reasons too, but that is just what comes off the top of my head.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started reading this yesterday but there's just no way I can sit through 7pages soz! such a slow reader :P

anyways I have just started my third and final year of my paeds nursing degree at CARDIFF (nuring normally has 2 intakes per year; Sept and March). I love Cardiff it's a great city! being a Swansea lass, it's an hour closer to everything (well except the Gower :uhoh:) which is pretty cool especially when it comes to trekking to events in MK and London :lol: there's good shopping including a sizable Virgin Megatore, a huuuge Primark, all your standard shops like WHSmiths and HMV and several arcades offering something different. Cardiff also has the CIA for all your gig and concert needs and 2 cinemas in the city centre and another one in Cardiff Bay plaza. The night life is pretty good too with many pubs, clubs and bars to choose from in the Millenium Stadium and surrounding area. Of course, your student life should not just centre around social activites :unsure: (sorry to break the bubble! :P) The university is well situated within walking distance Cardiff Castle and the city centre with several subject specific libaries. Can't really tell you much more about that as I'm a nurse and we study up the road at the hospital :(

what I will add though is that prices for houses in the area are really reasonable, ranging from £160-£270 per month depending on locations, ammenities and number of people sharing. buses opperate very frequently, the only annoying thing is their "exact change" policy :help: the train and bus stations are in the same place, which make it easy to get home :D

any Qs please do ask and I'll be happy to help!

you may be wandering why I have just spent 20minutes typing a spiel about Cardiff and why it's so amazing? :blink: because people seem to have been dissing the capitol of Wales! I know alot of you English people like to refer to us as "foreign" and joke about us needing passports when we come to events in MK and London but it's a great city! and, hey, if you want something different from where you grew up - a little Welsh culture? you should atleast come to an open day :P

surfy sah xx

you should atleast come to an open day  :D

surfy sah xx[/color]

958233[/snapback]

I did :P I have been to Cardiff many times, my parents used to live there and I have plenty of extended family and many friends living their. Howevr I was really put off by the open day, nothing wrong with the city and the acomodation was some of the best Ive seen, its just the way they wanted to run my course :YAHOO:

A

I've got my GCSEs in a months time then planning to stay on at sixth form for a couple of years. I would love to go to Bournemouth University and study media there (not sure exactly what type of media course though). It's only about 40 mins from where I live and hopefully I could get a student discount to watch AFC Bournemouth play :D

you may be wandering why I have just spent 20minutes typing a spiel about Cardiff and why it's so amazing?  :YAHOO:  because people seem to have been dissing the capitol of Wales! I know alot of you English people like to refer to us as "foreign" and joke about us needing passports when we come to events in MK and London but it's a great city! and, hey, if you want something different from where you grew up - a little Welsh culture? you should atleast come to an open day  ^_^

surfy sah xx

958233[/snapback]

people actually say were foreign..seriously..how rude!!

The thing is, Glasgow Caledonian and Strathclyde have both said I'd be considered a home student. Bristol's said overseas and Bournemouth haven't told me. Surely they should all go by the same regulation system?

957507[/snapback]

Scottish university fees and funding are one of the things that are governed by the Scottish Parliament, rather than London, so they may have different regulations to those in England & Wales. However, if you get different answers from establishments in England (& Wales) I would put it down to one of three possibilities:

* somebody at one of the establishments has misunderstood the details of your situation

* somebody at one of the establishments is out of touch with the regulations

* one of the establishments is using its discretion to treat you as a home student rather than an overseas student, because they really want you to come there. (Not *you* specifically, but students in your position, since there is a pressure to get students in).

There might be other reasons too, but that is just what comes off the top of my head.

957686[/snapback]

Well, another thing of strangeness is Glasgow Strathclyde has said I'm an overseas student. Yet Caledonian say I'm home..so there's a glitch somewhere in the system. :D Oh well, I've written my letters to those who need them!!

It's a pain in the bum!

sorry Alx, it was a plural "you" not you as in you Alx :P does that make sense? :lol: - fair enough about the course-running though dude!

where are you from Tiggsy?

surfy sah xx

958740[/snapback]

Up North near Conwy B)

Im curious as I should be going this September providing I study this year. My first choice is University of Gloucester (tho I will be in Cheltenham) studying Events Management.

I went to U of G a few years ago when it was still Chelt & Glouc College of Higher Education. I did Hotel and Catering Management out of the Francis Close Hall Campus. It's a nice place and I liked my time there.

• 2 months later...

Been a long time since i been on here but no one notices as i don't know no one on here anyway lol.

Got 5 offers now from uni's. Strathclyde, Bangor, RAC, Cranfield & Bournemouth but can't decide which to go to now but looks like i'll be going to Strathclyde in Sept as it's the furthest away from where i live ( and a good course too).

Just got to sort out a flat to live in or apply to private halls though i heard bad things about private owned halls :P

The train up to Glasgow costs 57 quid or 100 by plane! ouch and i just got a addiction to ebay so i'm skint.

Johnny

Ouch..

Well i have pretty much got Glos to look forward to I got a B in my Dip in Finance, which was 100 ucas points and need 200 to get into Glos, so need 100 points from 2 further Subjects.. Last exam tomorrow :P

A

I've withdrawn my UCAS entry for september as i was up in arms about what course I really wanted to do and don't wanna waste a couple of grand on not knowing and coming home again.Instead I'm working and saving to go travelling around the world in 2008

I'm just finishing my last 2 days of internship. With this, I'm also finishing college.

I will graduate in Communication Management option Public Relations.

I studied this at Artevelde College in Ghent, Belgium

When I saw how cheap it was to go to uni in Germany I almost changed my option, but im sticking for now..

It was only like £200 per term for fees, and then livingis cheaper out ther, being as I have gt savings to get me through..

Alex