Your Autographica Experience

GoldenGreen

Major Negatives

- Although the photos you had available were excellent, the best ones ran out really fast! You had a stunning photo of Blessed from Star Wars and only one non-collage photo of Mai Ling, both of which had run out by the time I got there in the middle of Saturday!

888582[/snapback]

Not actually true - but you wouldn't have known that, and your point is valid. By the time on Saturday we were down to 'collage' photos of May-Ling we had actually run out of three 'simple' photos, all from Thunderball.

The demand for her autograph was clearly much higher than had been expected, either by her or the organisers. By closing time on Saturday we were down to a tiny number of remaining prints, and more had to be obtained for Sunday.

My source for this information? I was her guest assistant on Saturday

888596[/snapback]

In which case you will KNOW that she wasn't in THUNDERBALL !!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol yer she wasnt in Thunderball!!!!

Oldnick- As you were Mai Ling assitant on the Satuday do you know why she signed her name May Ling - when she was credited as Mai Ling???

Edited by Dr jones

- The £1 charge for photos was essential, I guess, but very irritating as I kept having to break notes. Already having paid for an auto, I think it wouldnt be too much to ask to get a photo for free, but if you must charge, perhaps you could consider selling tokens for £1 each at the main desk which could be exchanged for photos, so I could buy 10 at once.

888582[/snapback]

As a guest assistant the £1 charge was a nightmare. Spending the whole of Saturday with a guest charging £15, +£1 for the photograph, I was perpetually short of either £5 - no longer available from most cash-point machines these days or £1 coins.

The game I ended up playing was to see which I was in more desperate need of. If I had plenty of £1 coins I would give £4 in chage froma £20, and run down the coins. If I had plenty of£5 notes, I would ask the customer if they had the £1 coin, so that I could give them £5 change. It was a little chaotic, but thanks to the relaxed nature of the event I always managed to cope, and only once had to keep a customer waiting while I got change from the next assistant.

Thank-you to all those who had the right money!

888599[/snapback]

Minor negative from me here ..... it's YOUR JOB to have change. It's up to you (or Autographica or Showmasters) to be able to accommodate customers at the prices YOU have set.

I am just back in my shop following a busy, and long weekend in London (Autographica included) and lo and behold I find that the till is short of pound coins and 50p pieces. I have been alone in the shop most of the day, and haven't had the chance to nip out to the bank, so I have been juggling exactly the same £1 coin / £5.00 note dilemma that you refer to. TOUGH LUCK ON BOTH OF US !

If that means Dave Phillips himself bringing a cloth sack containing three grand in pound coins and fivers from a Central London Bank on the underground, to The Raddison Edwardian on the friday afternoon, then that's the way it's gonna be. I have no sympathy for what is absolutely the one and only badly organised part of the show.

Personally, I was £10 a time on my own item so didn't experience the problem, but I know people who did !

888601[/snapback]

Brain thought Goldfinger

Fingers typed Thunderball.

Corrected above.

I didn't get much sleep!

888602[/snapback]

God, that's above and beyond the call of duty for a guest assistant ! :D:D

888601[/snapback]

Brain thought Goldfinger

Fingers typed Thunderball.

Corrected above.

I didn't get much sleep!

888602[/snapback]

888605[/snapback]

What you sayin Dufre? I can think of guests where it would be a pleasure...:D

Minor negative from me here ..... it's YOUR JOB to have change. It's up to you (or Autographica or Showmasters) to be able to accommodate customers at the prices YOU have set.

Absolutely - or to be a little more precise, my job to have change, on the prices THE ORGANISERS have set for me.

Doesn't make it any less of a nightmare though, trying to keep enough change.

This is one of the no win areas.

1) Charge extra for photos, and make it a relatively token sum (£1)

- change becomes a problem.

- people used to 'free' (i.e. price-included photos) complain

2) Charge extra for photos, and make it a larger sum (£10 Dave Prowse)

- people used to cheap or 'free' photos complain

3) Hide the cost of photos

- people who bring their own itemd for signing complain.

In this weekend's case there was just about enough change available that option 1 never became more than a nuisance. The low level of crewing made the event pleasant and relaxed, but it also meant that at times I had to juggle to avoid running out completely, as runners couldn't be found immediately to track down additional change.

888601[/snapback]

I didn't get much sleep!

888602[/snapback]

888605[/snapback]

I knew I was right, once you we'd identified you, suggesting hiding your body under the bridge, amongst the glass fishes. :D

888601[/snapback]

I didn't get much sleep!

888602[/snapback]

888605[/snapback]

I knew I was right, once you we'd identified you, suggesting hiding your body under the bridge, amongst the glass fishes. B)

888609[/snapback]

Once more in English please ? :D You really didn't get much sleep ! Is this my luggage ? Because it's not an advisable subject :D

Absolutely - or to be a little more precise, my job to have change, on the prices THE ORGANISERS have set for me.

Doesn't make it any less of a nightmare though, trying to keep enough change.

This is one of the no win areas.

1) Charge extra for photos, and make it a relatively token sum (£1)

- change becomes a problem.

- people used to 'free' (i.e. price-included photos) complain

2) Charge extra for photos, and make it a larger sum (£10 Dave Prowse)

- people used to cheap or 'free' photos complain

3) Hide the cost of photos

- people who bring their own itemd for signing complain.

In this weekend's case there was just about enough change available that option 1 never became more than a nuisance. The low level of crewing made the event pleasant and relaxed, but it also meant that at times I had to juggle to avoid running out completely, as runners couldn't be found immediately to track down additional change.

888608[/snapback]

The definition of "you" is just grammar, but I take your point .... but there is ALWAYS a winning situation .....

Once more in English please ?  :huh: You really didn't get much sleep ! Is this my luggage ? Because it's not an advisable subject  :uhoh:

888612[/snapback]

No - nothing to do with luggage (of which I know nothing). There were running gags all weekend about leaving people to lie with those hideous fishes.

One area I would agree with other people's comments was a disappointment was the state of repair of the hotel. The poor lighting in the atrium, & the poor control of the air conditioning were both put down by hotel staff as being maintenance problems. 5* facilities (and prices) with 3-4* maintenance seemed to be the problem.

John Terry - 6/10 - unforunately he could hardly remember anything about TLD, and as I hadnt seen him in anything else there wasnt much to talk about. Pretty much just a hello and a signature, happy to personalise though and even to add a quote.

Shame on you for never having seen "Hawk The Slayer"!

Whilst I was not at Autographica(could'nt afford it after C8!) I am planning on attending this one.

Can some kind soul who was there, please advise if there were any guests announced over the weekend?

I suppose I can wait till things calm down after this weekend, but got to admit, I'm curious, and I want to get my flight booked soon to get a cheap price!!

Whilst I was not at Autographica(could'nt afford it after C8!) I am planning on attending this one.

Can some kind soul who was there, please advise if there were any guests announced over the weekend?

I suppose I can wait till things calm down after this weekend, but got to admit, I'm curious, and I want to get my flight booked soon to get a cheap price!!

888637[/snapback]

Honestly, There were NO guests announced over the weekend. I was crewing and although they have people in mind who they are trying to get hold of, people who they want to come, and people who they no doubt are close to getting, no-one has been confirmed from what I understood. Dave and Gary will keep it very quite until they release details.

A

Pamela Sue Martin and Heather Langenkamp because I was there with Fugaziuk. They both were lovely but Martin will tell you better about his experience with these ladies.

yes as lams has already stated we were at another event across the road so could only be at autographica for a couple of hours on the sun.

heather and pamela are some of the most talkative guests i have met ina long time.

firstly heather telling me about how she offered to put 'screw sleep' onto an elderley ladies photo one time and the look of disgust she got from said person had me howling!

also i asked how her gum company was goin - only to be given a free pack of said malibu gum! which was very nice! she told me not to tell anyone though otherwise everyone would expect one!

pamela - was chatting for ages- which was a good thing. i asked about her autobiography and she said it is finished but maybe not out while next summer.

she also said she wouldn't mind visiting the theatre while in london and i recommended a few plays she should see - which she wrote in her diary!

she also insisted i have another photo with her after we were both still chatting while it was being taken

i also got julian but he seemed very tired - so i kept the conversation to a minimal amount!

i was gonna meet john terry but didn;t like the lost pic he had - so i will wait till he is back again.

all in all great weekend at all three events!

just really tired now!

Pamela Sue Martin and Heather Langenkamp because I was there with Fugaziuk. They both were lovely but Martin will tell you better about his experience with these ladies.

also i asked how her gum company was goin - only to be given a free pack of said malibu gum! which was very nice! she told me not to tell anyone though otherwise everyone would expect one!

888646[/snapback]

Im guessin she just meant at the show then coz erm well you just told 4000+ effectivly

A

Just got back!

Thanks for the advice from everyone it helped a lot!

The Gold Pass is a blessing as it helped a lot...£35 well spent. (and thanks again to Dave for sorting out my little problem with the post!)

Was number 2 in the line to see Buzz..........such a nice man and £90 was well spent.

Went to Ursula next, again that was good and she was allowing posed photos with flash.

Then on to Scott Carpenter, one of the original Mercury 7...a very nice man, we had a discussion on grammar and handwriting technique!

Stella Stevens............great lady. Posed nicely with my dad.

Julian Glover, terrific bloke.

Harvey Stephens.............great guy, we chatted about making The Omen and what he remembers about Gregory Peck/Lee Remick.

I'm thinking I may need a Diamond Pass next time.........

Great event, thanks to all!

Johnhuk

888276[/snapback]

Alx : Thanks for your reply. As said I was merely curious as I can get a flight to Heathrow for £33 at the moment.

I'll wait and hope the flight prices don't change too much!1

888652[/snapback]

No problems, I hope they can get things sortd soon, because you missed out on a great event here, as im surwe you will keep hearing, but the event should only get better, and hopefully they will relaease some names soon, and help you to make the easy decision.

A

Oldnick as you were assiting Mai Ling do you know whey she signed her autograph May Ling when shes credited as Mai Ling?

888627[/snapback]

That's how she spells it - so I guess it's her name. I saw her write it down when she wrote her name and adress down for a colleague of hers, and she did it the same way.

IMDB spells it Mai-, so I would expect that when she was acting it was written as Mai- and appears that way on the films, but I've not checked.

Well this was our first Autographica since the Northampton days

Because of the location the Sunday morning BA shuttle from Manchester was used and the only snag was the £3 each way Heathrow Hoppa.

We originally had just armbands but I got one of the last gold tags and we got there at about 10:45 to get VQ tickets in the low 60s...and at the same time got through to the Clif Richard ticket line so sorry if we seemed a bit distracted at the desk.

First to Buzz. Oh Yes!!! He really was listening and replying seriously to the kids and was friendly with everyone. For 75 he looked great and was happy to sign my Alan Shepard book.

Next a brief walk round the first dealer room ... it looked mush more expensive than previous shows so seemed less amateurish but also lost something of the small guys ( I really wish I could remember who at Northampton got me the Jim Broadbent as Dr Who though )

Next to the queue for Ursula...VQ was at 75 for her and 350 for Buzz. The one bad bit of the day was the total lack of airconditioning in the antechamber for Ms Andress...it was sweltering. Nice lady happy to choose one of the photos in the Bond Girls book to sign though conversation was somewhat spoiled by the guy before me forgetting his carrier bag and rushing back.

Space next but where was Charles Duke??? Never mind I skipped richard Gordon and went straight to Scott Carpenter. By Sunday afternoon he was down to just 1 Mercury photo but again was very pleasant to chat too and talked a bit about Alan and Deke's book too.

May Ling next and she signed the bath girls photo in the Bond Girls book. Again a very friendly lady

Julian Glover was as great as ever

Good to see Dave Prowse looking better then recently

Clifton James was amazing if somewhat isolated in the middle bit!

Pamela Sue Martin Just excellent

The Oscar...heavy!

Not sure that 2 a year in the same place is a good idea...perhaps a London one and a Midlands/North one

I enjoyed the event, but there were a couple of niggles.

Firstly, as mentioned elsewhere, was the cost of having to buy photos on top of the autographs.

Secondly the organisation first thing on Saturday left a lot to be desired. The doors opened for those with an early entry ticket slightly earlier than 10.30, but then all chaos broke out as people tried to find out where to get the Ursula Andress virtual tickets. I was actually in the right queue to begin with, but was told to join at least two others before I got back to the right queue. So by the time I got a ticket the numbers were into the 400s. (The people handing out the tickets didnt even know which number they were up to - so they may well have missed out the 300-400 ticket book, and given them out later.) All this meant a long long wait (till about 4.30), with not a lot to do in the middle of Heathrow.

Next to the queue for Ursula...VQ was at 75 for her and 350 for Buzz. The one bad bit of the day was the total lack of airconditioning in the antechamber for Ms Andress...it was sweltering. Nice lady happy to choose one of the photos in the Bond Girls book to sign though conversation was somewhat spoiled by the guy before me forgetting his carrier bag and rushing back.

888716[/snapback]

I fully understand what you were saying about the air conditioning. On Sunday we were having serious problems with it. I was one of about 5 people on the crew who were having multiple arguements with the hotel trying desperately to resolve this issue. In the end we had to settle for them giving us fans for her room, which kept her cool but not everyone else. Apologise for that people, it was out of our control, as their was a fault, tho it should be sorted for when we go back in March.

A

I enjoyed the event, but there were a couple of niggles.

Firstly, as mentioned elsewhere, was the cost of having to buy photos on top of the autographs.

Secondly the organisation first thing on Saturday left a lot to be desired. The doors opened for those with an early entry ticket slightly earlier than 10.30, but then all chaos broke out as people tried to find out where to get the Ursula Andress virtual tickets. I was actually in the right queue to begin with, but was told to join at least two others before I got back to the right queue. So by the time I got a ticket the numbers were into the 400s. (The people handing out the tickets didnt even know which number they were up to - so they may well have missed out the 300-400 ticket book, and given them out later.) All this meant a long long wait (till about 4.30), with not a lot to do in the middle of Heathrow.

888784[/snapback]

The VQT were a problem and it is because SM and Dave and Gary have not worked together at an event like this, (at least the crew) so we were expecting things to be like they are when we do CM and LFACC but it was different. We tried to resolve the ticket issue once we found out from Dave what was going on. No books were missed out, as I was looking after the books of tickets until they werre needed (and then gave all boks to th white clothed table), so there was no worries of missing your chance.

A