Milton Keynes

I'll Never Tell...

Is Milton Keynes the most innocuous, soul-destroying, lifeless, bland place in England?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Is Milton Keynes the most innocuous, soul-destroying, lifeless, bland place in England?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone who comes from a place in the heart of the Pennines, I find anywhere "down South" that's flat and hill-less to be a bit disconcerting. However, up here there's a saying that the last place on earth that God made and never finished was Bacup!!! Ahem...

Anyhoo, even though MK disconcerts me with the trees marching in regimented rows down the boulevards and all the house built in little dips so they can't be seen from the road, no corner shops and not a bit of natural scenery in sight :D it more than makes up for it with that whopping, amazing, best-place-on-earth-even-for-a-non-shopper-like-me, need-a-guided-tour-before-you-even-start shopping mall. And from what I've seen, MK also appears to be clean and well-cared for which is not often the case in most places these days. So I voted no. ^_^ If I had to choose between MK and Bacup, I'd choose MK any day. And I don't actually live in Bacup btw... :lol:

How about an apology for us who frequent Wetherspoons pubs? I am neither inbred nor do I wear an Orange Ben Sherman shirt. Neither do any of my family and friedns that frequent our Wetherspoons local. :D

Edited by jonathan

I always look forward to Collectormanias, and quite like the shopping centre location. But every time I get to MK my heart sinks. It really is the most dismall place i have ever been. It's like walking into a huge Weatherspoons pub, atmosphereless and inhabited by inbreds wearing orange Ben Sherman shirts.

If people reading this are from MK, apologies, but really, get out.

880508[/snapback]

Just so's I understand, how much of Milton Keynes have you seen outside of the city centre?

Less than 5 minutes drive from the centre, is open fields and countryside. 5 minutes in the oposite direction takes you to the surrounding towns/villages which have stood since Roman times. I was lucky enough to get to chat to Wayne Pygram at C8... he was staying nearby and he commented on how pleasantly surprised he was with the area, said he really liked it.

Yes, the centre itself DOES have a lot of concrete and glass, but I've seen more chavs per square foot in OTHER city centres.

Definatly not. I love visiting Milton Keynes  :D

I love it so much, that I may not even go to Collectormania if it were held elsewhere.

880565[/snapback]

Now that is some quality sarcasm.

880567[/snapback]

Wasn't being sarcastic. I do love visiting Milton Keynes. It's very clean and modern and that ski centre is awesome

Edited by Daniel

:pyth: Milton Keynes may well be in the top 10 worst places in England to navigate your car (or be a passenger in a Reliant Robin (never again!)) and it may look like an Architect's wet dream and require a golf cart to get around the badly laid out shopping centre (heard of 2 storeys Mr Architect) but in it's defence i will just say one word ....

SLOUGH!

..... come friendly bombs fall on MK or Slough?

Never been to slough and never will. Have you seen the office? Why do you think it was set there?

MK is like a recipe, you add the ingredients to make your whatever, and get exactly what is expected. Will MK ever have a history? NO

Try a little something new in the mix...too late...

Im not saying that MK has nothing to do, it has, but only in built, staged, average, if you are under 20, crap things to do. WOW, lets bowl!!!

is that the sound the sound of the sea? not in MK....

...come on...it is nasty. Everyone that doesnt live there knows it to be true.

They are a little scared to admit it...

...MK is the devils playground. Where do dull people retire? Wales? NO Medway towns? NO. MK YES...After they have worked in retail in the heart of MK shopping centre (doing customer service all there life) well done. Congratulations.

You know it is a p**s poor place, maybe if you are over 25 things seem a little different.

You from Aylesbury?

881130[/snapback]

Alas, Aylesbury would be considered to be my local town. As much as I hate to admit it.

I live in a small village and not the town itself, thank God!

Whenever people ask where I am from I always say near Milton Keynes, Never "Near Aylesbury!"

Never been to slough and never will. Have you seen the office? Why do you think it was set there?

MK is like a recipe, you add the ingredients to make your whatever, and get exactly what is expected. Will MK ever have a history? NO

Try a little something new in the mix...too late...

Im not saying that MK has nothing to do, it has, but only in built, staged, average, if you are under 20, crap things to do. WOW, lets bowl!!!

881398[/snapback]

Saying it's got no history just doesn't make sense... history is just stuff that has happened in the past, well Milton Keynes DOES have a past!

I notice that you ignored my comments on the historical parts of the town?

And do you seriously think there is just bowling??? We have TWO multi screen cinemas, a top theatre, an indoor ski slope, several gyms, LOTS of pubs/bars, an ice rink, a football/hockey stadium (soon to be two) and more... please tell me, what does YOUR town have, in the way of entertainment, that MK doesn't?

is that the sound the sound of the sea? not in MK....

...come on...it is nasty. Everyone that doesnt live there knows it to be true.

They are a little scared to admit it...

...MK is the devils playground. Where do dull people retire? Wales? NO Medway towns? NO. MK YES...After they have worked in retail in the heart of MK shopping centre (doing customer service all there life) well done. Congratulations.

You know it is a p**s poor place, maybe if you are over 25 things seem a little different.

881427[/snapback]

You really haven't done any research into this, have you?

Of course it's not near the sea, it's in the middle of the bloomin country!! Northampton doesn't have the sound of sea and neither does a hundred OTHER central towns! That's just a ridiculous argument!

As for retiring there..... again, I don't think you've done ANY research... If you look, you'll find Milton Keynes has an average age well under the national average. As far as I'm aware, traditionally, old people go to retire to the sea side (Hove springs to mind).

As for occupations, yes, there's quite a lot of people work int eh centre... much like there's a lot of people work in ANY shopping centre! The biggest employers in Milton Keynes though are Abbey National and the Open University. So again, you've not done ANY research and I'm beginning to wonder if you're just anotehr troll? Prove me wrong and respond to the points I've made.

You from Aylesbury?

881130[/snapback]

Alas, Aylesbury would be considered to be my local town. As much as I hate to admit it.

I live in a small village and not the town itself, thank God!

Whenever people ask where I am from I always say near Milton Keynes, Never "Near Aylesbury!"

881581[/snapback]

lmao Its not THAT bad. I always say im from aylesbury, i actually live in Stoke Mandeville. Which village are you from?

I've seen more chavs per square foot in OTHER city centres.

881149[/snapback]

From now on.. all cities will be rated and measured in CSF

Chavs per Square Foot

881228[/snapback]

I must be near top of the leaderboard in this then as Croydon is home of the chavs (I'am not one by the way)

I've seen more chavs per square foot in OTHER city centres.

881149[/snapback]

From now on.. all cities will be rated and measured in CSF

Chavs per Square Foot

881228[/snapback]

I must be near top of the leaderboard in this then as Croydon is home of the chavs (I'am not one by the way)

881641[/snapback]

Coming from Croydon I can safely say it is now chief capital of the chavs, it also has the charm of a lego set...

But for all its drawbacks, at least it has a long history(ok its been concreted over) dating back to the Domesday Book - Milton Keynes was built from scratch in the 1950's! History?

But honestly, I just wish it had a bit more to look at - there is nothing more depressing than walking to the Shopping Centre and seeing nothing but rows and rows of dull modern office buildings, but hey that's just me.

There monologue over! Everyone has their view and that's mine. :angry:

But for all its drawbacks, at least it has a long history(ok its been concreted over) dating back to the Domesday Book - Milton Keynes was built from scratch in the 1950's! History?

But honestly, I just wish it had a bit more to look at - there is nothing more depressing than walking to the Shopping Centre and seeing nothing but rows and rows of dull modern office buildings, but hey that's just me.

There monologue over! Everyone has their view and that's mine. :angry:

881661[/snapback]

Not ALL of Milton Keynes was built after 1950... Stony Stratford was a roman town and some of the 'villages' that make up Milton Keynes are also considerably older.

I can understand what you say about the shopping centre, but there is a LOT more to Milton Keynes than the town centre! Yes, there are a lot of office buildings, but that's the same anywhere... drive 5 minutes from teh town centre and you can be in open countryside... can you say that for a lot of English towns/cities?