Waht are the rules concerning......

dodgytrotter

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Yep the price is PER AUTOGRAPH regardless of what is being signed. I always make it clear to people with personal items that they can have a free photo but they would have to pay to get it signed. Some people still try their luck with it though so it's up to the crew member with the guest to stop that.

What 007Paul007 was saying above about taking the son's autograph book to get signed as well - if it's NOT paid for then it shouldn't be signed and they shouldn't be asking.

We could get into specifics of why someone can't be there so can we have this signed please etc but if ONE person is allowed, then what's to stop someone else coming up and saying a similar thing? Everyone could do it.

Just as an example - I remember working on the Information Desk at Collectormania 4 and how busy it was there. Now I know this is a different situation but I had MANY people come up wanting tickets to see Elijah after they'd all gone - saying "but I came from ..." and "but my daughter's disabled" and a hundred OTHER reasons. I had to say no to EVERYONE because that was the only fair way.

People shouldn't ask for an extra autograph. If it's offered, fine. If it's not, then you just get what you paid for.

• Showmasters Admin

But sometimes they don't actually ask, but it's still wrong. They just wave the extra item in front of the guest, hoping they'll take it and sign it, and that in my eyes is still out of order.

It is essentially the same situation as if you were to go into a shop, you pay for your item and that is what you get. If you bought a DVD in a shop , you wouldn't expect the sales assistant to give you an additional free DVD for you or your child, so why should this happen with an autograph at Collectormania or LFCC.

It is just people trying to buck or abuse the system.

• Moderators

Well asking/suggesting/hinting then ...

If it's the member of the public initiating the "freebie" as such, having the INTENTION to get something free, then it's wrong.

If it's just offered by the guest without any pressure .. we're ok.

It's usually easy enough for the crew member sitting there to tell.

• Showmasters Admin
Are there any rules or anything about getting autographs at the party??  Its the first time I'll have been to the party and I don't want to make a pratt of myself (well anymore than required)

847172[/snapback]

Yes the rule is no autos at the party. FULL STOP.

That is what the show it for.

The guests have been signing autos all day, they're there to have a good time, just like you.

PS: This is answered in my ANSWERS thread pinned at the top of the page.

David B the signings that I was on about were nothing to do with CM at CMK they were book signings at a certain bookstore , I would love be able to take my son to these events and also I would love to take him to the CM at MK , but cause of his autism which is at the severe end of the spectrum it would cause him more stress as well as people around , I am not having a pop at CM here but there are many events that my son misses out on and by the way he also suffers from Epilepsy to boot , some places are just to stressful , if there were provisions to take this into account at all events that are put on and I am not just on about fairs of any kind , I am on about events in general . I never ask for the book to signed at an event , my daughter asked once and I made her pay for it after wards and she has never asked. I know what you are saying about people saying this that and the other , they could of been excuses or indeed the truth , did you that places the cinema , the bowling alleys, zoos and circus I think , if you them you have a disabled child , who perhaps gets Disability Living Allowance at a high rate , or are registered disbaled and they ahve something to prove this, for example my son has a disability Railcard which before you can get you have to have all the proper legal paperwork . When this is presented they get either discount on tickets , if its the cinema for example and a carer can go in there at reduced price or free, do CM have anything like this , when people come to your desk , you could ask for the prove.

Ptenbob

My daughter can carry her book all the time as far I am concerned , if people want to waste time trying to think I am trying to get free autographs then let them thinking it , but I know I am not . There are too many people jumping to conclusions inthis world over bigger things than this , I have said I am not on the scrounge for them and that is it I can't make people believe me or not . Incidentally a firend of mine who is VERY WELL placed at CM can prove this if I ever needed to provide a good character witness.

• Showmasters Admin
do CM have anything like this , when people come to your desk , you could ask for the prove.

847186[/snapback]

Please read my ANSWERs thread pinned at the top of the page. It gives details of the help SM gives to disabled people.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart

Just read them , newbie you see still have not got round to reading everything yet LOL ! I might indeed email them a week before the show seeing if they can help in anyway as suggested earlier , thanks for your advice and help .

David B the signings that I was on about were nothing to do with CM at CMK they were book signings at a certain bookstore , I would love be able to take my son to these events and also I would love to take him to the CM at MK , but cause of his autism which is at the severe end of the spectrum it would cause him more stress as well as people around , I am not having a pop at CM here but there are many events that my son misses out on and by the way he also suffers from Epilepsy to boot , some places are just to stressful , if there were provisions to take this into account at all events that are put on and I am not just on about fairs of any kind , I am on about events in general . I never ask for the book to signed at an event , my daughter asked once and I made her pay for it after wards and she has never asked. I know what you are saying about people saying this that and the other , they could of been excuses or indeed the truth , did you that places the cinema , the bowling alleys, zoos and circus I think , if you them you have a disabled child , who perhaps gets Disability Living Allowance at a high rate , or are registered disbaled and they ahve something to prove this, for example my son has a disability Railcard which before you can get you have to have all the proper legal paperwork . When this is presented they get either discount on tickets , if its the cinema for example and a carer can go in there at reduced price or free, do CM have anything like this , when people come to your desk , you could ask for the prove.

Ptenbob

My daughter can carry her book all the time as far I am concerned , if people want to waste time trying to think I am trying to get free autographs then let them thinking it , but I know I am not . There are too many people jumping to conclusions inthis world over bigger things than this , I have said I am not on the scrounge for them and that is it I can't make people believe me or not . Incidentally a firend of mine who is VERY WELL placed at CM can prove this if I ever needed to provide a good character witness.

847186[/snapback]

I'm not trying to cause trouble as most people that know me on this board would say i'm not mean.

it's just every post that you have written on any thread seems to be abrupt, argumenative or that you deserve some sort of special treatment.

I'm sorry for pointing this out, but after getting back from a 13 hour shift from work to have a poke around the forum for a while and check in with friends I have to read post like the above.

and before you say anything you are more than entitled to your opinions as am i and everyone else on this board but i advise you to bring it down a little.

Mooby81 Hello and I am glad you have offered an opinion and also happy that you are a member of a work force and I am sorry to hear the way you feel about my threads especially after a 13 hour shift , at least you can put your feet up , actually I am still awake , due to my getting settled for sleep , it is a 24 hour job to care for him without much time to put your feet up as to say.

Although you say in your opinion I seem yo be argumentive , when I give an opinion I always say it as I see it and I am not always saying I am right or wrong , I don't have time to be argumentive , but if that hows it comes across , then you do have the wrong opinion of me , there are other threads that I have replied to that are just a couple of lines so I don't they are argumentive . But it is your opinion.

I do not ask for special treatment , but if you are refering to the disability side , I just try to open peoples minds more , the first thing most people think of when they hear the word disabled is someone in a wheelchair , or maybe deaf or blind, and being honest before my son was born i would of thought the same but there are loads of disabilities out there that I don't even know fully about and I am sure that goes for a lot of people.

Yes in an ideal world i would like to take my son to these shows , but he cannot handle big crowds and gets really stressful , he has no speech as I say and is 17 years of age , so to prevent him having this I have to leave him at home and can only be out for a limited time .

I don't ask for special treatment or pity more like a bit of understanding , like most children with autism they are ina routine which once is upset like the 6 weeks holidays we have now , it throws them off and this causes stress all round.

I don't go round being argumentive , believe me I have learned to be patience , some days are better that others, and perhaps when I am stressed it might show in my posts.

When i give an opinion , that is all it is and is not a personal attack on anyone so I apologise if people have taken it that way, it was not meant to be like that !

The last thing I wanted that day was my daughter missing out on that signature , as that upset her which I then had to sort out on the way home to care for my son.

Some shows I have not been able to attend to but that is life.

Incidentally the book signings are that you buy the stars book and get the signature for free, you cannot get any signature without buying the book.

Hi guys, hope you r all well and looking forward to C8.

It's been a while since a post on the forum.....and I have to say this topic is crazy.

As pointed out by a few of the crew members I have worked with over the past 2 years.....if the guest offers a freebie then smile and thank them but don't take advantage of the good will or nature shown by the guest. Because this can have an adverse effect! as guest's do speak to each other and if they feel they have been taken advantage of they will not attend future events.

The guests are mindful that we the fans keep them in a job....and attending these events is to say thanks for that. But a bad experience by both parties effects us all?

many thanks guys,

Jeff

aka Thor-sguk :wub:

• Showmasters Admin
When I was sat next to Alexander Siddig at C7, I stopped a couple of people doing it. But TBH that was because they were obviously trying it on. Whilst their personnel item was bring signed they tried to hand over the free photo as well. I could see they knew they weren't meant too.

The same with Leslie Schofield. We had a couple of people asking for free autos or asking for a discount etc.

If the guest "wants" to then there's not much we as crew can do to stop them. But sorry if I think someone is trying it on (i.e. asks or implies), I have and will step in and stop it.

As David has said, if it is a genuine gift from the guest the crew is not going to stop you.

846629[/snapback]

OK Too Tall, well what about this situation - lets say that Jeri Ryan comes along to C8, and when I get to the front of the Queue I ask her for a kiss, and she grabs hold of me and gives me a huge snog.:lol:

How would the SM crew react to that? :lol:

846636[/snapback]

we would want the same and get in line

:D:P

jason

Mooby

What do you mean there I go again, you posted an opinion and a reply to my thread and I replied back with my opinion, I think it is only polite to reply .

848386[/snapback]

you may have replied but you didn't take my advice. As David said this is getting very off topic and should be left alone

As pointed out by a few of the crew members I have worked with over the past 2 years.....if the guest offers a freebie then smile and thank them but don't take advantage of the good will or nature shown by the guest. Because this can have an adverse effect! as guest's do speak to each other and if they feel they have been taken advantage of they will not attend future events.

The guests are mindful that we the fans keep them in a job....and attending these events is to say thanks for that. But a bad experience by both parties effects us all?

many thanks guys,

Jeff

aka Thor-sguk :(

848127[/snapback]

I agree with Jeff, just be polite and say no, sorry, I'm unable to accept. Its taking advantage of the guests good nature. It has happened to me a few time (I'm crew) and I turn down the "freebies" one time was at C7. It would look like I was abusing my position as crew, and give a bad impression of Showmasters crew to the guests, that we only work to get free autos.

Its very unfair to blag free autos (Paul I'm not getting at you, I know quite a few people who do this), when there are people being turned away, as there's not enought time to get everyone through.

Marina

Thanx Marina

Mooby can I offer you a piece of advice just not to judge a book by its cover , all I did was reply to post that you had put on , that was your opinion and I replied simple as that . I don't think I insulted you or anyone in any way and as I said before these are just my opinions and are not personal attacks on anyone.

From my (limited) experience as a crew member at these events, I will say that there are the odd few people that try their luck at getting free autographs.

Sometimes the guest can be goodnatured enough to offer to sign something for free(even when I clearly told the fan that they had only paid for one) the guest told me not to worry!! So it's really a question of conscience I suppose. As a fan I wouldn't have the cheek to ask! But then if it was offered....well that's different!

007Paul007

I'm not going to quote your posts but I wanted to say that I understand your point of view. I used to work with adults with Epilepsy and Autism and just taking them into town was a struggle, from the attitude that the public have. Not everyone, but a vast majority have a hard time dealing with people with learning disabilities. I imagine that your kids miss out on a lot. Also my brother had multiple physical disabilites(sadly he is no longer with us)and we had the same problems.

Unfortunately there is still a lot of misunderstanding and prejudice towards the disabled. People think that you're playing the Pity card but as you most likely well know, these kids miss out on a normal life, so what ever little treats they get mean a hell of a lot to them.

I'm not justifying anyone getting freebies...I think it's a cheek to even ask, regardless of your situation. The guests will pretty much make it clear what they will tolerate anyway.

:lol: