Yet another statement from Showmasters

• Showmasters Admin

Dear Showmasters forum members, Giggle and Rowan, and event promoters using this forum for their own ends.

It saddens us to yet again have to make a statement and waste our time quashing slanderous rumours about our behavior within fandom, and deal with negativity which only serves to spoil the guest announcement. People often do not realise that the guests themselves do sometimes read these forums and the garbage written about their appearance. Could it be that some of these so called fans actually want the guests to be put off from attending this or any other event at all?

So here is the truth. In the early hours of the morning on June 2nd we were contacted by Mr Baldwin's appearance agent, a company we have worked with several times before. Mr Baldwin had been approached about possibly attending an event and meeting the fans of Firefly over here, however we were informed that the offer to appear at this convention had been withdrawn by the organiser. I was also told the reason for the UK convention organiser withdrawing his offer was down to an imposed deadline of the 1st of June for Mr Baldwin to decide on his flight days. The organiser gave Mr Baldwin an ultimatum, to fix his schedule by the end of the day or the offer that had been forwarded to appear at the convention would be retracted. The organiser felt he could not delay in booking his flights as available seats for that time were running out, however as it was apparent that Mr Baldwin's shooting schedule for his new show had not yet been fixed he would be unable to confirm anything at such short notice. The convention organiser was informed of this and was asked if he could be a bit more flexible. Unfortunately it seems he felt this was not an option and did retract his offer to Mr Baldwin, withdrawing his offer.

This information was related to us, as well as the fact that Mr Baldwin and his family were hoping to take a trip to Europe and were looking forward to meeting fans in the UK before the offer was withdrawn. His agent asked us if we were willing to book him for LFCC to replace the previous offer, on the understanding that his flights needed to be booked as late as possible to fit in with his shooting schedule. We checked that the previous convention offer was definitely dead in the water, and were assured that it was definitely over, as was confirmed to the agent by the previous organiser himself. We were also informed that the previous offer had never been formally accepted and permission had not been given to announce Mr Baldwin's potential appearance. It was only once we knew there were no conflicting offers or confirmed appearances that we decided to take up the offer of Mr Baldwin's appearance at LFCC.

On a personal note we are sorry that this statement needed to be made, but we felt we should let those of you who always look upon us as the aggressors know that this simply is not the case. We have been accused of aggressive practices before and have been vindicated every time (for example over Chris Judge and Corin Nemec). Let us make this clear, these accusations will always be wrong, poaching is something that we would never do and never will do and these lies you are feeding other people just make you look stupid. Please don't let other organisers manipulate this forum to save their reputations or to cause trouble.

Jason Joiner

Showmasters

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:P I am going to sound really stupid but can anybody tell me simply what the text from Showmasters actually means

Thanks

that Showmasters DID NOT "poach" the guest from Firefly/Serenity from another event organiser who's event is the same weekend as LFaCC 3 :lol:

sarah oneill

Having just picked myself up off of the floor laughing I must point out why I was laughing so hard.

First off, my laughing is NOT DIRECTED at SHOWMASTERS. My applause is directed at SHOWMASTERS.

Waits for more applause for SHOWMASTERS...

Good forum members..

My laughter is directed at "this other organiser I will nto name out of respect to SM"

The reason for my laughing is that at Collectormania I spoke to ALEXIS DENISOF. Lovely chap. I had met Alexis briefly a few years back at an event run by the "other organiser" who had originally booked Adam Baldwin. I mentioned to Alexis it was a shame he got called away on work related business and that he could not stay the whole weekend.

Alexis replied by pointing out that the organiser booked him knowing he could only attend the opening ceremony and the Saturday but had to shoot off on the Sunday. I believe it was for promotional work in the South..possibly London. He also commented he could not believe that the line of the organiser was to make out it was a last minute thing on the weekend or just before, as it was not.

So, yet again the organiser strikes. I can, but out of respect to Showmasters and other genuine forum members will not, pass on many similar "official lines from this other organiser" that would shock you.

But hats off and more applause....

Waits for the genuine forum members to applaud...

to Showmasters....

A top guest and one I am looking forward to see.

Will..a genuine forum member of visitor of Showmasters events...

Who is this other event organiser?? I am correct in saying is intials are P.M.?? Cause if it is im not suprised about him spreading rumours and stuff as he's such an idiot

Who is this other event organiser?? I am correct in saying is intials are P.M.?? Cause if it is im not suprised about him spreading rumours and stuff as he's such an idiot

No, it's someone else.

Regardless of whether Showmasters booking Mr Baldwin was right or wrong under the established circumstances, perhaps it's not a good idea for them to be doing things that leave them open to all the accusations which have been made.

Maybe some code of practice needs to be set up between organisers so that this sort of thing doesn't happen again.

All this stuff just hurts everyone.

Edited by Beaker.

No, it's someone else.

Regardless of whether Showmasters booking Mr Baldwin was right or wrong under the established circumstances, perhaps it's not a good idea for them to be doing things that leave them open to all the accusations which have been made.

Maybe some code of practice needs to be set up between organisers so that this sort of thing doesn't happen again.

All this stuff just hurts everyone.

Go SM good to hear nothin bad happened, but we wouldnt expect it anywho.

Where the initials S.H? Coz he thinks he's a bit of a celeb coz he can contact the people we can't :lol:

BTW thanx for clearin it all up SM :lol:

Where the initials S.H? Coz he thinks he's a bit of a celeb coz he can contact the people we can't  :lol:

wotever you may say about him.. he runs a bloody good convention, which is fantastic value for money!! at least he's not a con organiser that tries to fleece you of your hard earned cash :lol:

Where the initials S.H? Coz he thinks he's a bit of a celeb coz he can contact the people we can't  :P

wotever you may say about him.. he runs a bloody good convention, which is fantastic value for money!! at least he's not a con organiser that tries to fleece you of your hard earned cash :lol:

Aye that is very true.

I do love those conventions, thats why i'm goin bk in september, they are gr8 for money!!

Thanks for the info, wouldn't it be great if we lived in a world where you didn't have to justify your every action to a bunch of busy-bodies with nothing better to do than try and stir things up? I have posted some of this explanation on the official 'Serenity' movie site to smooth a few ruffled feathers over there.

Edited by StevieB

The simple gist of the statement is one organiser passed on adam at the last min - so he was offered to sms and they accepted like any other organiser would!

glad everything is all cleared up and we can look forward to the event rather than bitching at one another!!!

Where the initials S.H? Coz he thinks he's a bit of a celeb coz he can contact the people we can't  :lol:

wotever you may say about him.. he runs a bloody good convention, which is fantastic value for money!! at least he's not a con organiser that tries to fleece you of your hard earned cash :yoda:

Now that I will agree with 100%

Yes Showmasters run good events but other organiser runs great Conventions which is why I go to them. What I am sick & tired of is people that have a) never been to the other organiers events so there for don't know what they are like B ) slag him off without actually knowing him or posting on the others board. He looks after his fans and always gives you value for money and always brings over great events.

I'm not having ago at showmasters, its just a shame that this seems to be a second time that this has happened so you can understand why people are getting annoyed espically those at the other event.

Edited by cat_b

I wanna no who this S.H bloke is and what conventions he runs - any one can give me any clues?

And here's me thinking I hadn't actually accused Showmasters of anything. *G*

I know some people would rather this 'discussion' hadn't happened. And maybe in this case there wasn't anything underhand. But personally I'm glad it happened. People had doubts, which have been addressed rather than festering. I'm also well aware that some stars and their 'people' read boards like this. And I don't think it's a bad thing if they hear that changing an event IS an inconvenience, and that fans do get upset about it. That it does waste fans' money. And that some fans will question excuses given if the pieces don't quite add up.

There are stars/agents out there who are just in it for the money, who will change event for a better deal and not think twice about what that costs the fans.

I have no problem if a change of event/cancellation is for a good reason and/or unavoidable, but if this sends out the message that fans will not stand for any old drivel then that's a good thing.

Well we still have two slightly different stories from the other organiser, and the agent. But the agent's story is believable. Maybe this is as far as us fans will get in finding out the truth, in which case it's up to each individual to decide which side they believe.

So, to those who go to meet Adam, have fun! Not sure if I am yet... may not have the money anyway.

It's a funny old business! I was oblivious to all these shinanigans! But well done SM for being up front about this....pity you had to really. :P

Is it me or are these cons getting more and more controversial?

I don't know this other event organiser but it seems to me that there's a lot of this sort of thing going on and perhaps something needs to be put it place to prevent this sort of thing from reoccuring...?

maybe I'm being cynical but these events are more about money than the fans anyway....from the guests/organisers/agents pov anyway....... :lol:

ah well at least we're gettin adam so we should all be grateful :lol: I know I definatly am, coz i couldnt go to that other con coz i'm goin to this one and I'm not rich to do both :P So i'm made up, its one more person I havent met! :wub:

And here's me thinking I hadn't actually accused Showmasters of anything.  *G*

It's true we don't know who's playing the fans for fools, but someone is.

If you weren't accusing Showmasters, then you were accusing Adam, or his agent, or the other organiser. You were accusing someone.

I'm also well aware that some stars and their 'people' read boards like this.  And I don't think it's a bad thing if they hear that changing an event IS an inconvenience, and that fans do get upset about it.

Well, if we accept the statement from the agent and Showmasters, then the "change" was instigated by the other organiser setting a deadline on confirming flight details. All Adam is guilty of is trying to still give his fans a chance to see him. Would it have been better for Showmasters to refuse on the offer, thus letting down everyone - all the fans (even if not all the people going to the other event can make it to LF&CC, at least some can), plus Adam and his family? Should the agent, whose job it is to find work for Adam, have said "Well, Adam just lost one offer of work. I could get him a replacement offer, but I won't bother"? And I'm not blaming the other organiser if they had to set a deadline for booking flights - as someone who has had to do that for actors, it is a pain when they can't confirm schedules till the last minute, and not every event can afford the price hike that you get when booking flights late in the day.

And that some fans will question excuses given if the pieces don't quite add up.

Well, do you feel it adds up now? Especially in light of

Well we still have two slightly different stories from the other organiser, and the agent.

I think the agent's statement actually matches with Showmasters pretty exactly - no "slightly different" bits about it.

Maybe this is as far as us fans will get in finding out the truth, in which case it's up to each individual to decide which side they believe.

See, I think this is why you got singled out Rowan - those last couple of sentences still give the impression you are accusing someone of lying. I'm not having a go over you about it, simply pointing out that if you were wondering why you got named, that's probably why.

Edited by Stuart