How to be a better fan...

nicky

There might not be a right or wrong and this isn't the law but this is how I've treated guests in the past:

1) Plan what intelligent questions I'd like to ask before the event. Eg. Why did you take the part, what happened to the cut footage etc. Point out their lesser known work if you liked it.

2) Smile, be happy and relax. Down a few shots if you have to but don't be seen doing it.

3) Don't act nervous cos it'll make them feel uncomfortable.

4) Look them in the eye when talking. And speak clearly.

5) Be polite and courteous. Thank them for their time as you leave.

Edited by nicky

When I was speaking with Dwight at C6 we were talking about his radio show and his love of aliens and ufo's.

I think this was the first time anyone had spoke with him about something other then TAT, so he kept me there for a good 10 minutes chatting and was really lovely...

Besides it was a sunday morning and his que line wasn't much... so that was nice of him!

When I was speaking with Dwight at C6 we were talking about his radio show and his love of aliens and ufo's.

Yeah, that's always a good thing too - to talk to them about other stuff (but only if you are into it too). I spent a good while with Carl Weathers last time talking about weight training as I pointed out what great, fit shape he looked in Rocky and Predator.

You'll know when a guest likes talking to you when they call you by your name or if they ask you what it is again if they forgot it.

Yeah cant agree more, its also cool when fans take people stuff, its a good ice breaker. Also im sure that these guys are getting wound up with people just flogging this kinda thing on Ebay so if you act uninterested even if you are they will just think you are trying to make a quick quid out of them and that will put anybody out of joint.

Maybe we should get together and do a guide to being a better Guest and one for the fans, that way showmasters can give it to these guys and they will see what sort of thing to expect before signing up to do any conventions

You'll know when a guest likes talking to you when they call you by your name or if they ask you what it is again if they forgot it.

Mark Rolston called me by name a few times :(, and we had a good long chat about Shawshank ! I suppose he was overcome with Aliens fans that day, and glad to talk about other work !

William Saddler for C7 !!

One thing I think people need to bear in mind is if they are giving the guest a gift will they have received it before? I'm sure there must be guests who keep getting the same type of gifts and must find it tiring.

:lol:

When I was talking to Kate Mulgrew privately for the first time (at a hotel lobby), I was rather nervous and she assumed control over our talk within two seconds. Immediately I was assailed with all her questions which I hardly could answer that fast. :lol:

However, she was really sweet, very interested and so endearing to me and my friends!! :lol:

Btw, Tim was teribbly nice, too. *sigh*

I need to speak, nevermind talk about something interesting!lol the lst time i met the trio guys and nick brendon i just stood there like an idiot, i was so nervous! totally regretted it after, so thats my goal for this year, to talk abit more!

I to have met many many people in my time mostly from Dr Who and I always use the double bluff.

For example Dave Prowse he was in Hitchikers Guide and I spoke to him about this and because he's rarely ask to he spoke in great length about the part and just as I was leaving I said " I bet you sweated a lot in the Vader costume ".........

Do some research find out about a realy bizzare part he or she played even if you know nothing about it as you can genraly get the plot etc by surfing the net talk to them about this and then hit them with ' That Question '

"I bet you sweated a lot in the Vader costume ".........

LOL Classic! :wub:

Ok now make a list of HOW TO BE A BETTER GUEST....

There will be a hell of a lot more points than just 5.

I have a big problem following these two. I tend to go to pieces when I meet the guests. Even when I can come up with a question or comment, I usually forget completely as I'm so nervous.

I need to speak, nevermind talk about something interesting!lol the lst time i met the trio guys and nick brendon i just stood there like an idiot, i was so nervous! totally regretted it after, so thats my goal for this year, to talk abit more!

But it was so hard to talk to nicholas brendon, because thay would'nt allow any pics.

i found that he did'nt bother to look up at you.

He just kept his head down and he was signing like a mad man.

If you're nervous and you have 2 things you want signed give one of them to a friend to take up with at the same time (having paid for both of course) cos chances are your friend will get talking and you'll relax and start talking as well. I've used this twice and it works. ^_^

Preferably don't call another guest a profanity while talking to the one in front of you unless they will take it in good spirit (that one got Dirk and Dwight comedy bickering :D Can't remember what Dwight said but the verbal punch up that ensued between them was hilarious none the less). Actually just be nice to them.

There might not be a right or wrong and this isn't the law but this is how I've treated guests in the past:

1) Plan what intelligent questions I'd like to ask before the event. Eg. Why did you take the part, what happened to the cut footage etc. Point out their lesser known work if you liked it.

2) Smile, be happy and relax. Down a few shots if you have to but don't be seen doing it.

5) Be polite and courteous. Thank them for their time as you leave.

yeah gud points in theaory but half the time it goes out the window when you meet them and i always prepare questions before hand but end up stumped when i get there!

although i did do a gud job the second time i met billy boyd!

ill have to remeber the one with shots!

(any in particular?)