Can't go

matrix8

@AB

I'll conceed Anthony Daniels, Ernie Hudson, Michael Madsen, David Carradine, Lance & Colin (weren't they second in pop idol ?), and the final UK appearance of James Doohan, but !

SMs trumps them in no special order, with Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Burt Reynolds, Michael Biehn, BDW, Carrie Fisher and all but one of the TNG cast (*waits while reader thinks*)

At the risk of agreeing with DavidB, it DOES depend on your own interests, and I am only using these as examples in terms of rarity and size of celebrity, but SMs swing it every time for me .....

Well if the rival event is the one I am thinking of *cough* Angel *cough* then I don't think they have much to worry about there!!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Hall 2 at Earls court the large one with a balcony or one of the other halls. I cannot possibly imagine it being the former as the show would not be able to fill this.

LFCC2 was not a success re:numbers (and maybe a more enjoyable experience for it!! :wub: ) and people are quick blame transport for this but I believe that masks the fact that its "failure" was due to a line up that did not have the necessary pull. So SM need to work hard to get a major line up.

As for getting excited about a show for which we have no details seems a little odd :blink:

i think lfcc3 its gonna be brilliant!!

n as for guests if they can get elijah wood n carrie fisher i'm pretty sure they can get some other really big guests

but as pointed out it depends on who u consider as being a big guest!!!!

i also might have exams around that time not to sure when they r but i'm still gonna go coz i dont have exams on the weekends!!!!!!!!

LFCC2 was not a success re:numbers the fact that its "failure" was due to a line up that did not have the necessary pull.

I take it you didn't like the line-up then, eh? I thought it was the best one yet personally;

Burt Reynolds

Michael Biehn

Micheal Ironside

Chris Judge

Linda Blair

Craig Parker

Carl Weathers

Yaphet Kotto

These are all people who play large and important roles in their respective franchises + plus there was the whole Stargate and Aliens thing going...two of the most popular con themes around.

Edited by nicky

If you read the forum of the "rival organiser", and specifically their own posts, they seem to have a lot of anger issues !!

I've noticed this too!!!!! :firedevil:

Personally I am really excited about this change...and the dates are fine for me :wub:

Anyway, as Tara said...why would SM change them just for you Matrix? LOL :firedevil:

And for those who think that SM have bitten off more than they can chew, I completely disagree! In one of their statements somehwere they said that this year the guest line-ups will be the best so far!! And that is DEFINITELY something to look forward to!!

Can't wait :angel:

Anyway, as Tara said...why would SM change them just for you Matrix?

And why would SM bring back certain guests just cos someone (not necessarily you) missed the last con or ran out of money??!!

Edited by nicky

nicky, thats EXACTLY why they would bring back guests - so that those who are still interested in seeing them CAN do so. and if one missed, its also possible that a number missed. particularly if it was a case of running out of money.

dates are a little harder - and one person does not mean that 50% of people won't be able to go. and even if people aren't able to go because of clashes with other events of any kind, at least one of the others is restricted in ticket numbers - in which case the numbers unable to go as a direct result are somewhat limited.

and of course also adding to the possibility of a repeat guest.

personally, since the lineup is mostly from dr who, i'm not interested, but SM have stated that there are a LOT more guests, particularly those unrelated to the reunions. and since the dates work out a lot better than march for me, i'm personally quite happy.

@AB

I'll conceed Anthony Daniels, Ernie Hudson, Michael Madsen, David Carradine, Lance & Colin (weren't they second in pop idol ?), and the final UK appearance of James Doohan, but !

SMs trumps them in no special order, with Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Burt Reynolds, Michael Biehn, BDW, Carrie Fisher and all but one of the TNG cast (*waits while reader thinks*)

At the risk of agreeing with DavidB, it DOES depend on your own interests, and I am only using these as examples in terms of rarity and size of celebrity, but SMs swing it every time for me .....

Like I said, it's debatable! :lol: And like you said, it depends on your interests.

You also forgot to mention Robert Patrick, Larry Hagman & Ed Furlong (drunken, chain smoking, thuggish oink that he was).

And not that I wish to promote the other lot's May event, but as long as no one pulls out, the pulling power of the guest lineup (as much as has so far been announced) is huge and beats anything SM's have offered except LFCC2.

On average, the other lot still have stronger guests. . .in my opinion. They seem to think "outside the box" when getting guests, which is something I feel SM's rather lack sometimes.

I mean have SM's even ever tried to get Leonard Nimoy?

LFCC2 was not a success re:numbers the fact that its "failure" was due to a line up that did not have the necessary pull.

I take it you didn't like the line-up then, eh? I thought it was the best one yet personally;

Burt Reynolds

Michael Biehn

Micheal Ironside

Chris Judge

Linda Blair

Craig Parker

Carl Weathers

Yaphet Kotto

These are all people who play large and important roles in their respective franchises + plus there was the whole Stargate and Aliens thing going...two of the most popular con themes around.

It is not that I did not like the line up but just that most of them was was not for me (don't collect for sake of it). Some SM have been better for me than others it just depends. However, it is a fact that attendee numbers were poor and that is a clear reflection on what was offered.

@AB

I'll conceed Anthony Daniels, Ernie Hudson, Michael Madsen, David Carradine,  Lance & Colin (weren't they second in pop idol ?), and the final UK appearance of James Doohan, but !

Like I said, it's debatable! :lol: And like you said, it depends on your interests.

You also forgot to mention Robert Patrick, Larry Hagman & Ed Furlong (drunken, chain smoking, thuggish oink that he was).

And not that I wish to promote the other lot's May event, but as long as no one pulls out, the pulling power of the guest lineup (as much as has so far been announced) is huge and beats anything SM's have offered except LFCC2.

On average, the other lot still have stronger guests. . .in my opinion. They seem to think "outside the box" when getting guests, which is something I feel SM's rather lack sometimes.

Do not agree at all. The last show was even more poorly attended that LFCC2 and that says everthing about the quality of guests. I also think that they are even more predictable than SM and that says a lot.

However, plenty of space for both events.

@AB

I'll conceed Anthony Daniels, Ernie Hudson, Michael Madsen, David Carradine,  Lance & Colin (weren't they second in pop idol ?), and the final UK appearance of James Doohan, but !

Like I said, it's debatable! :wub: And like you said, it depends on your interests.

Do not agree at all. The last show was even more poorly attended that LFCC2 and that says everthing about the quality of guests. I also think that they are even more predictable than SM and that says a lot.

I don't disagree with you about poor attendance at the last event held by the other lot.

I believe there's now a general apathy about events in the UK. I don't know the reasons why.

Poor attendances at LFCC2 and the last "other" event are a clear signal that something's gone rotten somewhere.

With just 3 weeks to go, yesterday I easily managed to buy a ticket to see Patrick Stewart at the Bournemouth event next month. It wasn't cheap, but you'd have thought this would've been sold out months ago. For God's sake, I mean the guy is actually SIGNING!

All the above makes me fearful for this new Earls Court event.

It is not that I did not like the line up but just that most of them was not for me (don't collect for sake of it).

Not likeing the line-up and the line-up not being for you...aren't they the same thing?

I don't think anyone collects just for the sake of it...most people wanna meet the stars cos they have an admiration for what they do and wanna know what they are like in person and maybe ask a question.

It's sad that some people can't make that weekend, but lets face it, there's thousands of people on this forum so there's ALWAYS going to be some who can't go.

I think this is a bold move, it shows SM commitment to scaling up these events and that they're not afraid to make big changes if things don't go right.

I'm guessing that the San Diego event (am pretty sure I shouldn;t get in trouble for mentioning it, it's not a local rival!!) started in a very similar way to this... imagine in 4 or 5 years how big THIS one could be!

Poor attendances at LFCC2 and the last "other" event are a clear signal that something's gone rotten somewhere.

I think poor attendances at LfaCC 2 were a result of matters outside of SM's hands. The guests were very good, the talks were fun and it had a good feel about it. The problem was with the venue (and transport to the venue.)

One of the advntages of moving the date to June, is that it's between the Collectormania events. This will help with organisation and also (from a punter point of view) help toward avoiding over-saturation of these events.

The other BIG advantage, is that it's the start of the Summer film season where stars and directors tour to promote their big summer films. That's why San Diego is so succesful at getting guests, almost all of their panels are people promoting films (presumably the studio's help fund these events to as it's cheap promotion for them).

hi chris,

it sucks that you cant go. it wont be the samwe without you!

are you going to c7?

:wub::wub:

Huh?

I CAN go!! :wub:

I'll be at some of C7 (am already at another event that weekend, but am planning on going to the C7 party!)

Are you coming up for it?

yep! I might be moving to kingston upon thames soon, i was a bit disappointed at the guest announcments, im not a huge fan of doc who. :(

Really? How come? (where IS Kingston upon Thames?)

But Gimli will be there!!! (and I'm sure you can stare at James Masters' butt!) ;):P

i just wish it was the following weekend (2nd & 3rd July)...i wassooo lookingforward to it but as it stands it is a day before my 2 major A2 exams and i can't make it.... :P ....great venue though...(even though it took me all of 10-15 mins to get to wembley...)...guess i'll have to wait till next year...

oh...btw, just to clarify does this mean that LFCC will be annually i.e. once a year?

i just wish it was the following weekend (2nd & 3rd July)...i wassooo lookingforward to it but as it stands it is a day before my 2 major A2 exams and i can't make it.... :P ....great venue though...(even though it took me all of 10-15 mins to get to wembley...)...guess i'll have to wait till next year...

oh...btw, just to clarify does this mean that LFCC will be annually i.e. once a year?

That's my understanding from the SM statement

@AB

Like I said, it's debatable! :P And like you said, it depends on your interests.

I don't disagree with you about poor attendance at the last event held by the other lot.

I believe there's now a general apathy about events in the UK. I don't know the reasons why.

With just 3 weeks to go, yesterday I easily managed to buy a ticket to see Patrick Stewart at the Bournemouth event next month. It wasn't cheap, but you'd have thought this would've been sold out months ago. For God's sake, I mean the guy is actually SIGNING!

Fair points

All the above makes me fearful for this new Earls Court event.

So many shows and so many repeat guests makes it feel a little stale. Maybe less would mean more!! LFCC started well and the second show improved from an organisational point of view but you just wonder how this year will pan out.

The thing is we are all ready to spend money so if a show gets it right they will make a killing.

Edited by Noddy

It is not that I did not like the line up but just that most of them was not for me (don't collect for sake of it).

Not likeing the line-up and the line-up not being for you...aren't they the same thing?

I don't think anyone collects just for the sake of it...most people wanna meet the stars cos they have an admiration for what they do and wanna know what they are like in person and maybe ask a question.

No they are not the same – not sure why you think they are.

You raise an interesting point about “admiration for what they do”. I have a different view in as it appears that in a lot of cases it is the character the actor plays that is admired and not the person. (Example: If Carrie Fisher only signed pictures from The Blues Brothers how many people would see her?) Nothing wrong with this of course but it changes the raison d’etre for collection.