Harry Potter Movie

Just went to see the movie tonight I just wanted to know what you thought of the movie and how it compared to the book if you have read it, as I am sure most of you have. As well which movie has been your favourite, and which character so far is your favorite and why?

Personaly, I thought the movie was great although so far still not sure which one is my favourite. Excuse spelling how do you spell it 'Herminy' - so far I would have to say that she is my favorite character a great child actress :P:lol:

Loved it thought it was the best film so far and it respected the book well the books will always be my fav but this was really good.

Remus and Sirus are my fav characters

• Showmasters Admin

Great film.

A lot less kiddie than the first 2, really dark. The cinematography is more gritty, more real. It doesn't have the "Disney" glow to it that I felt was wrong in the first 2. The castle and grounds and so much more interesting to look at.

The story was well done, especially as they had to shorten a much longer book. It has all of the main scene in it and the story is very well told. My only criticism is that some of the main scenes felt a bit rushed and so for people who haven't read the book (is there anyone left?) they may find they miss something important to the plot.

The 3 main characters have really grown into their roles (literally). Their new more mature look really goes well with the more adult orientated film. Emma Watson, is a really little star now. In the first film I felt she was over acting, but it worked as it was how I felt Hermione should be. But in this film she really shines, I think we'll be hearing about her for at least the next 20 years. Dan Radcliffe, does a great job of playing the new mature, feeling Harry. With Rupert Grint (how I felt was the highlight of the first 2 films) doesn't let us down, he is still very much Ron, with some very funny one liners.

I have to admit that I wasn't overly happy when I heard that Gary Oldman was going to play Sirius. He just wasn't who I had pictured Sirius to be. But I have to say I was wrong, Oldman really brings Black to life. Then there is David Thewlis as Remus Lupin. He does a good job but in this case he really didn't live up to my expectations. I saw Lupin as a much more vibrant (spark in his eyes) kind of character in the books and never really felt that in Thewlis' performance.

It was never going to be easy for Michael Gambon to pick up were the late great Richard Harris had left off, but he does OK. I think in the next film we may have accepted him. But in this one I was still thinking "It's not Richard".

Devon Murrey (Seamus) gets to say more in this film and shows he's more than up for it. I hope they do more with his character in the next couple of films. The Weasley twin are of course there again, but I felt that as with the last 2 films the Phelps twins sound like they are giving a speech rather than being in a conversation.

Robbie Coltrane is again a wonderful Hagrid. I could not imagine anyone else playing the part, he is just great.

My favourite character I would say is Hermione, so well acted by Emma Watson.

It is definitely my favourite so far.

Stuart.

I loved the film... Alfonso is a total genius, but I just think I'm lucky to have read the book. For anyone who hadn't read the book, I can imagine that there would have been loads of loose ends left untied at the end...

1: Snape's relationship with James, Sirius, Remus and Lupin is never established.

2: The word 'animagus' was only mentioned once, even theough it is a prominant theme of the book.

3: Before he and Hermione go back in time, Harry says that he saw his dad dispel the dementors, when people watching the film only saw a stag. Only people who had read the book would know what he meant by this.

4: We did not see how Harry got into the cellar at Honeyduke's.

5: The Shrieking Shack was not explained.

6: We are not told how the Marauder's Map came about, or who Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs are.

7: We are not told what Peter Pettigrew actually did and how Sirius came to be accused for it.

Again, I loved the film so much... Buckbeaks flight was amazing, but if I hadn't read the book, I know I would have been disappointed.

Anyone agree?

I loved the film... Alfonso is a total genius, but I just think I'm lucky to have read the book. For anyone who hadn't read the book, I can imagine that there would have been loads of loose ends left untied at the end...

1: Snape's relationship with James, Sirius, Remus and Lupin is never established.

2: The word 'animagus' was only mentioned once, even theough it is a prominant theme of the book.

3: Before he and Hermione go back in time, Harry says that he saw his dad dispel the dementors, when people watching the film only saw a stag. Only people who had read the book would know what he meant by this.

6: We are not told how the Marauder's Map came about, or who Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs are.

7: We are not told what Peter Pettigrew actually did and how Sirius came to be accused for it.

Again, I loved the film so much... Buckbeaks flight was amazing, but if I hadn't read the book, I know I would have been disappointed.

Anyone agree?

oh mi gosh everything you have written is exactley wot i would have written!

only one thing was missed out tho........... the quidditch world cup!!!!!!!! am i the only one who remembers this? and i dont remember reading past the 3rd book, so if the world cup is infact in the 4th book i apolomogise! lol......

i just remember reading the third book and loving it soo much! definately my fave book (of the 3 ive read, lol....) but so yeah not enuf of anything was explained i dont think...but i loved the whole turning back time bit in the book (the rock throwing bit and the harry seeing his father/himself bit) very clever, and that was depicted well in the film methinks. Professor Trelawny was great, altho im sure there was more of that in the book, too. The rescuing of Sirius and him leaving on BuckBeak was very rushed.

The film did look good tho, and was probably a good film, if you hadn't read the book first! It was a lot less 'kiddified' than the last two, alth sumhow that made it better as it showed how much it was geared towards the kids. It all seemed a lot more believeable with the film style (and director) being changed tho, which i think is a good asset to botht he books and the film.

:wub:

p.s. omg, how much did you love this bit -

"...the spiders.......they wanted me to tapdance............. i said no, i'm not goin to tapdance................!"

"You tell those spiders, ron!"

hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa rmfao :D

Anyone agree?

I agree! I have to say you put it very well, Im not sure what I think of it yet, will have to go again :lol:

BHPF :blink:

Great film.

A lot less kiddie than the first 2, really dark. The cinematography is more gritty, more real. It doesn't have the "Disney" glow to it that I felt was wrong in the first 2. The castle and grounds and so much more interesting to look at.

The story was well done, especially as they had to shorten a much longer book. It has all of the main scene in it and the story is very well told. My only criticism is that some of the main scenes felt a bit rushed and so for people who haven't read the book (is there anyone left?) they may find they miss something important to the plot.

The 3 main characters have really grown into their roles (literally). Their new more mature look really goes well with the more adult orientated film. Emma Watson, is a really little star now. In the first film I felt she was over acting, but it worked as it was how I felt Hermione should be. But in this film she really shines, I think we'll be hearing about her for at least the next 20 years. Dan Radcliffe, does a great job of playing the new mature, feeling Harry. With Rupert Grint (how I felt was the highlight of the first 2 films) doesn't let us down, he is still very much Ron, with some very funny one liners.

I have to admit that I wasn't overly happy when I heard that Gary Oldman was going to play Sirius. He just wasn't who I had pictured Sirius to be. But I have to say I was wrong, Oldman really brings Black to life. Then there is David Thewlis as Remus Lupin. He does a good job but in this case he really didn't live up to my expectations. I saw Lupin as a much more vibrant (spark in his eyes) kind of character in the books and never really felt that in Thewlis' performance.

It was never going to be easy for Michael Gambon to pick up were the late great Richard Harris had left off, but he does OK. I think in the next film we may have accepted him. But in this one I was still thinking "It's not Richard".

Devon Murrey (Seamus) gets to say more in this film and shows he's more than up for it. I hope they do more with his character in the next couple of films. The Weasley twin are of course there again, but I felt that as with the last 2 films the Phelps twins sound like they are giving a speech rather than being in a conversation.

Robbie Coltrane is again a wonderful Hagrid. I could not imagine anyone else playing the part, he is just great.

My favourite character I would say is Hermione, so well acted by Emma Watson.

It is definitely my favourite so far.

Stuart.

sorry if theres any spoilers in this, erm ill make it bright so people who wnat to read it can highlight it.

i agree with some of your points it did feel quite rushed. i was also slightly disappointed with the ending as although i know they made it consie to fit it in, i think the whole snape/fudge/harry thing in the hospital wing would have been fab with snape yelling and getting distrssed at sirius' escape, and also harry's face being spread across the screen like they used for the dementors attacking kind of left it a bit confused and slightly odd, though i did like the idea of him receiving the broom i just thought he'd fly into the distance or zoom passed or soemthing.

what else erm i felt the beginning was too rushed it needed soemthing else instead of going directly into it.

this sounds really negative but this is really not the case i loved this film its way better than the other 2. the moments with buckbeak what can i say? they were beyond expectations and buckbeak really comes to life. i especially loved them going over the lake it was really special. also the bit with lupin and harry on the bridge i loved those bits.

michael gambon does agreat job but he jst doesnt fit my image of dumbledore, it was great how he was more fun but there wasnt that real connection thin going on between nhim and harry and i look forward to those bits.

also the filler bits with the plants and whompin willow, that was much better co-ordinated than the last 2 which just skipped around between 2 bits.

theres also a lack of lessons too which im not too sure on. in one way its good because it allows other things to be brought in but it also makes the whole time thing seem wrong because where as the other 2 seemed like a yr had past this one really didnt have that, except for a change in the seasons and a few merry christmas' here and there.

continued:

i do thing the 3 main charcaters have progressed - theyve really fit into their roles especially emma hermione relaly does seem more like hermione where as b4 she didnt. actually i dotn think rupert had a big part to play unlike the last 2 he seemed to be second best to emma which was a bit odd.

i loved tom's scenes i mean how funny! hes jst great and anyone who can pull off tha blonde look without looking like a prat who accidently covered his head in bleach has got to have some talent.

anyway im gonna stop now cause ive gone on too much. i really love the film, though i think its going to grow on me rather than be a big hit straight away. oh one mroe thing the knightbus - pure class!

Well I enjoyed the film although I wil have to see it again to make a proper judgement on its merits.

Thought it felt rushed in some places & slow in others.

They never explained how come Snape couldn't use the Marauders Map but Lupin could (obviously because he made it but they don't explain that). If I had been Harry, that would have been my first question after Lupin covered for him.

Special effects were excellent & it was quite spine-tingling in places. Sure I would have been scared if I hadn't already known the story. :D

As for the characters, I thought Harry, Hermione & Ron were really good - they acted more like real teenagers. In fact I thought everyone seemed a lot more human than in the first 2 films. Wasn't very impressed with Dumbledore. He doesn't have the same aura about him as Richard Harris.

But overall a thumbs up! ;)

Edited by Spike's dream date

I was gutted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!¨¨

It felt rushed and didn't do justice to the book - it just felt too Hollywood *ducks rotten eggs*. Does anyone know if Rowling had to approve this script too or if that was only the first two films?

Someone else pointed out most of the main things that bothered me too with one exception - was this film actually taking place at Hogwarts or was it some other castle?? Where did the mountains come from? Where did the clock come from? While I liked it - did we really need to waste 5 minutes watching Harry ride a Hippogriff over scenery that sure as heck wasn't in the first two films.

Thinking about the other bits that were left out I am wondering how the next films are going to manage without the history that this one was supposed to give us.

There were bits that I loved but as far as I am concerned there just wasn't enough Hogwarts spirit or school things in it. Loved the midnight feast and the different animals and Rons spider nightmare though.

I think it is actually a not bad film in itself but as the third film in the Harry Potter series I was seriously dissapointed. Will have to go and see it another few times just to really be sure though!!!!!! :lol:

well, with the way they differed from the book in the first two i don't think much of her approval skills!

i mean, LOTR is over 1,000 pages and the films (the first two anyway) do proper justice to the film.

whereas harry potter at only a few hundred pages per book would probably be able to - per film - go for the same total lenght of LOTR and still not do the books justice.

harry potter is a commercial film. do it for the fans and do it for the book, and you can have a really good film - but do it for the money and its not worth doing.

Yeah I understand where you 2 are coming from with your comments. I agree with you about some of it.

I thought the change of scenery was a bit inconsistent too but I guess it's poetic licence.

I always loved book 3 best because of the history it provided. It's a shame those bits were so minimal in the film.

mmm nah i think thats allowed cos in book 1 he tells harry he doesnt need an invisablility cloak to be invisible when he admits to have been waching harry looking in the mirror of erised.

The films dont match up to the books on so many levels, but theyre still nice to have i suppose!!

OOOH AND DID ANYONE ELSE NOTICE THAT HOGWARTS SUDDENLY HAD A MASSIVE HILL GROW UP FOR THIS YEAR, AND HAGRID'S HUT JUST GOT PLONKED RIGHT ON IT!!

I found that really offputting! the set changes too much inter-films! x

mmm nah i think thats allowed cos in book 1 he tells harry he doesnt need an invisablility cloak to be invisible when he admits to have been waching harry looking in the mirror of erised.

The films dont match up to the books on so many levels, but theyre still nice to have i suppose!!

OOOH AND DID ANYONE ELSE NOTICE THAT HOGWARTS SUDDENLY HAD A MASSIVE HILL GROW UP FOR THIS YEAR, AND HAGRID'S HUT JUST GOT PLONKED RIGHT ON IT!!

I found that really offputting! the set changes too much inter-films! x

Oh yeah, I guess you are right :D

Yeah I know it's really odd with the new scenery but it is described as being in the mountains in the book so I guess it is a bit more realistic.

ahhh! whats with the fade outs?! enough fade outs! and since when have dementors flown? and the Maurouders map, mention but its ok... we all know what it is so its ok that there was NO explanation! grahh! and as long as there are nice shots of the castle it doesn't matter that they're taking up time that could be used telling the actual story!

Malfoy is a joker tho! and Hermiona is cooooooooool!