Sherlocked Meetups

MildGrooveOn

Looks like you're the only one from this site that's onboard for the locations meet-up. I've got other people on other sites who'd like to go if it's Friday (and no one has been keen on Thursday so far.) So yeah, I'm planning on Friday now.

I'll be working up a tentative list of locations and route between them. So if there's anywhere you want to include, let me know!

Sounds good! And same for other friends coming! So speedys at 10 on friday! Thanks for putting this together!

Do you have an email or more direct way to chat? ^_^

(Just in case)

Are you on Facebook? If so, I'm Jenn Lawrance (just note the spelling of the last nae and look for the header picture of John and Sherlock on my page.)

I went to St Bart's the other weekend and stood behind the now infamous ambulance station taking pictures of the roof top from Johns POV much to the bemusement of two paramedics sat in an ambulance lol that place is worth a visit due to it being closed up there's lots of Sherlock writing and quotes written in the dust on the windows!!!

• Like 1

Last time I was there it was in front a a bunch of construction guys having their lunch. I think it's a bit of a 'come and watch the Sherlock fans' spot for people in the area.

It was funny though, the phone booth where people leave lots of "I believe in Sherlock/ Moriarty was real" notes was covered the first time I went. I went back just a couple of days later and it was completely cleared.

If you're going to the museum at Baker street, would be interested to know if the "Cumberbomb" we left there last summer is still pinned to the noticeboard. (small laminated pic of Ben in his Oscars outfit doing that pose he did when he photobombed U2) They probably clear the board regularly though otherwise it would be massive, but you never know...

My train only gets in to London Euston at 13:05 pm, so I won't be able to join you at Speedy's in the morning. I have found out though, that it isn't too far away from where I'm staying, so I should be able to take my camera and get a photo, and a coffee there, before I go to Excel to register.

I'm aiming to get to Excel for about 5 pm.

Hi everyone. This is the first time I visit any convention and I thought it would be nice to get to know some new people. A meetup sounds about perfect for this. I'll be going solo to the convention (though I'm staying at a friend's not too far from the excel), so a bit of company might be nice. :)

The meetup Friday evening sounds perfect for me and I'd like to join in if that's ok with everyone.

Also, because public transport has been discussed here and because it seems like there are several people coming from outside London/UK: ever considered getting a visitor oyster card? I think it's really useful and saves a lot of headache to find the cheapest fare available at the moment. You can order it online and have it delivered before you start your trip.

I'm trying to think if I saw that when I was there last time. You mean in the gift shop, right?

If I get there again this trip I'll take a look.

No, in the house itself.... there's a pinboard in one of the rooms and people had added various notes to it.... kind of like a visitor book I suppose.

Also, because public transport has been discussed here and because it seems like there are several people coming from outside London/UK: ever considered getting a visitor oyster card? I think it's really useful and saves a lot of headache to find the cheapest fare available at the moment. You can order it online and have it delivered before you start your trip.

I'm traveling from Germany and just ordered my Oyster Card and a ticket for the Gatwick Express. God, that exchange rates are killing me... :thumbdown:

About money exchange: last time I went to London I had no time to exchange any cash before the trip. I arrived at Stansted and exchanged some cash I brought right there at the airport. Was the cheapest option I found so far (no exchange fees if you exchange no more than 200 €). Maybe that's an option for some of you.

Also I found the buses from the airports going to London much cheaper than the trains, though they usually need a bit longer too. If you're tight on money, you can save a bit there.

(Waves @ fellow Germans ;) )

Edited by BigBlue

There is some info on how to get a visitor oyster card on the transport for london website. Here it is: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/travel-information/visiting-london/visitor-oyster-card

I bought mine on visitbritain.com a few years ago. Not sure if this'll work for you though (I had mine delivered to Germany, not sure if they deliver everywhere). But they have good info about traveling in the UK as well so having a look might be interesting anyway.

• Like 1

You can also buy Oyster cards at various mainline stations from the travel information desks (Liverpool st, Victoria, Piccadily, Kings Cross and Heathrow) There are also shops in London that sell them (usually newsagents) and you can also buy them from most of the larger tube stations and DLR stations. There's a small charge (I think about £3) and then you just add credit to it on a "Pay as you go" basis at one of the machines at each station. They're definitely worth getting if you're going to be in London for more than a couple of days because they give you cheaper fares. They can be used on the buses, the underground and the DLR (which is what you'll need to use to get to the ExCel centre.)

The ExCel centre is served by 2 stations on the DLR, it depends which end of the centre we are using for the con.... Custom House station for the west end of ExCel, and Prince Regent station for the east end. If anyone is not using Oyster and buying travelcards or tickets, then you'll need to make sure it covers zone 3

This is a good website with all the train stations and maps etc http://www.londondrum.com/transport/train-station.php?near=excelcentre

• Like 1

There is a company in Germany which sells them. Which will be hardly an option for Canada. :) But I've heard you can get them easily. I bet they will be available at the airport. I just hate to run around with my luggage looking for anything. I've researched on the alternatives to get to London from Gatwick, and found out that the bus needs twice as long as the train. Ah, well, those few pounds doesn't matter compared to the total.

I'm a little concerned about the weather though. Now it's as warm as here, but I suspect it can still get quite cold.

Has anyone been to ExCell already? How is the temperature in the rooms? I hate when it's too hot...

• Like 1

On my past trips to London I always found the weather to be better than it's said to be. Though I'd definetely try to bring clothes for all kinds of temperatures because British weather tends to be a bit like Moriarty: soooo changeable. ;) No idea about the ExCel though, sorry.

• Like 2

Weather forecast for the UK is a "heatwave". The south, and particularly London, is experiencing high temperatures at the moment and I believe its set to stay that way for a while. It is still a bit chilly at night.

I've been to other cons at the ExCel and found it can get a bit warm when its crowded, but you get that in any venue... I was also at the ExCel during the Olympics for some of the sporting events and it was a nice, cool temperature even though it was hot outside. Just make sure you have a bottle of water with you and you can always go outside for some air if you get too warm inside.

• Like 1

I literally lose hundreds on the exchange.

Ow.

And how does one order an Oyster card?

You won't really have time to get your Oyster card before you leave. Since you're doing the train in, you won't need it until you get into town anyway. Get it at one of the larger train stations.

Anyone looking for cash on arrival, I really suggest you just use an ATM/cashpoint machine with your debit card if you have one. Your bank almost always offers much better rates and no 'commission charges.' Just make sure you've notified them that you're going overseas before you go.

Anyone coming from another part of the UK who doesn't have an Oyster card, can use a contactless debit or credit card (provided it was issued in the UK) and still pay the Oyster single fares.

Just make sure you take the card out of your purse/wallet to use it so you don't accidentally scan another card as well, and you should be fine.

Anyone coming from another part of the UK who doesn't have an Oyster card, can use a contactless debit or credit card (provided it was issued in the UK) and still pay the Oyster single fares.

Just make sure you take the card out of your purse/wallet to use it so you don't accidentally scan another card as well, and you should be fine.

London buses are now cashless - you will have to use an Oyster or contactless card.