Posing for Photos

this one is as noob as it gets but i gotta ask.

when ur stopped by someone for a photo in the show, do you smile n that for the guys camera or are u "supposed" to do the in character thing?

i know it sounds silly but id hate for someone to feel short changed if they wanted a serious looking memento n i just grinned to the camera!!!

eg. if im doing my walking dead cos n im asked for a photo, do i draw my guns n do stuff thats "fitting to the character" or just arm tound n smile?

i know sum ppl will tell u one way or another wat they want but for folk who dont really say anything beyond "can i have a photo", i just always wonder: pose or pleasentries?

thoughts?

Well you can always ask, or sometimes they will tell you. The general rule of thumb for me is they want a photo with the character rather than a random person.

Part of the fun is trying out a few different poses and swapping being in character or just relaxed, the most important part is your having fun and it isn't uncomfortable for you or the person.

Edited by Brian Cairns
  • Like 1

I will never live it down (belive my friend wont let me forget) for this years LFCC i saw the most fantastic jason cosplay being a horror fan i yelld "kane err I mean jason errr whatever your name is stop photo pleease" and ran full pelt (Sorry TT) at the poor bloke thankfully I got 2 pictures of me with the guy.

So yes I would say character all the way.

In character :)

My main rule, though, is I won't have someone kneel down and have me put my gun to their head... You'd be surprised how many times we get asked that!

Happy enough to point it at the camera if asked, but not that. ( Obviously we don't point guns at anyone or anything uninvited! )

understandable.

one twitch and someones got a smartgun where theyre retina used to be..

:-(

cue first aid tent..."look into my eye" indeed....

lol

hows does it go with character-breakage then?

do u just lift the mask n take a drink or do u go discreetly "off the floor" for a min to do that sorta stuff?

reason i ask...done a trial run of my full deathstroke costume, armor n all, today in the house and it is hot as all hell inside that thing...

any pointers on this?...then im all set for sat i think..

I would recommend sitting down to take breaks, such a simple gesture automatically seems to tell anyone your at rest. Also it allows you to cool off more and get a bit of peace.

I was always surprised last year when i went to go sit at the stairs i could tell there was a few watching me, though once i was sitting no one seemed to notice me anymore like i blended in with the background, as soon as i left the sitting area people would come up and want photos again it was kinda weird to go from being followed around to completely ignored so quickly.

I wouldn't worry too much about not always being in character, it's not possible to be in the "zone" 100% constantly it takes a lot out of you and your there for yourself first before anyone else.

The "No guns" thing is more, to me, "Marines are good guys. We really don't want photos of us executing civilians online if possible".

I think it's a bit more OK from Stormtroopers and the like because, well, they're baddies!

RIP Beru and Owen Lars :(

As for breaking character - It depends on the group. The Garrison etc. do not break character in public. They go "backstage" to cool off and drink.

We're a bit looser than that, as our Marine characters are basically ourselves, just dialled up a notch :)