PREMIERES: Who organizes them?

nicky

I'm doing a post grad diploma in September on Events Management in London and am hoping on eventually working on film premieres and other movie-related promotional events. Does anyone know of any Events Mgt companies around London that do this?

I imagine the film studios hire a company to organize the events for them after telling them what they're looking for.

So where do fans find about the prems then? I know some people here go to them. I found some Facebook groups that give info of upcoming ones:

https://www.facebook...onFilmPremieres

https://www.facebook...emieres?fref=ts

In some cases, word of mouth, as has already been mentioned Markmeets (but in some cases- its not 100% reliable) there used to be Premierhub/Premierow.

At one point I used to do approx three to four Prems a week, and in some cases would do Stage Doors as well, its all about the fun aspect and what have you...

Well it was, nowadays dealers have ruined what used to be awesome. This also includes the London Studios.

Edited by KingRichard76
  • Like 1

Well it was, nowadays dealers have ruined what used to be awesome.

Yeah, those dealers are like a wild pack of bloodhounds! Hate them...

I can't stand them either. Classic example of this is when they ruined my Friends chances of meeting Frank Oz, I'd managed to meet him BEFORE the dealers had got to him.

Dealers gotta eat.

But it ruins it for the Fans.

Yeah they leave a bad taste in the actor's mouth and generally affects the true fans that want to obtain an autograph to keep and not sell on.

I've not been to many premieres but I always dislike the way they run, push in front of people, and how they try to get more than one.

One of the first Premieres I did was the A Team in 2010, and there I had met Liam Neeson, managed to have a few quick words with him and he was very pleasant in his response to me and something I still remember now, he was also good enough to pose for a pic with me.

Apparently last year there was "an incident" between Liam and some dealers on the day of the Titans Premiere in which Liam was going to sign for them until they were rather derogatory about him- to his face! Obviously this put him in a bad mood and so wouldn't sign for anyone at the Premiere.

Such a shame that this happens.

Yeah they leave a bad taste in the actor's mouth and generally affects the true fans that want to obtain an autograph to keep and not sell on.

I've not been to many premieres but I always dislike the way they run, push in front of people, and how they try to get more than one.

One of the first Premieres I did was the A Team in 2010, and there I had met Liam Neeson, managed to have a few quick words with him and he was very pleasant in his response to me and something I still remember now, he was also good enough to pose for a pic with me.

Apparently last year there was "an incident" between Liam and some dealers on the day of the Titans Premiere in which Liam was going to sign for them until they were rather derogatory about him- to his face! Obviously this put him in a bad mood and so wouldn't sign for anyone at the Premiere.

Such a shame that this happens.

That's terrible, I would hate for that to happen if I've been waiting all day to see him.

I went to the Stoker premiere and the dealers just booed at Mia Wasikowska when she walked straight into the venue (although she did later come out briefly to sign).

I heard from a friend that during the Frankenweenie premiere, they were shouting abuse and flipping off Catherine O'Hara when she didn't come over to sign.

No respect for the talent involved.

At the Baftas this year (I only went because Anne Hathaway/possibly Mr. Spielberg was due to attend) Anne turned up a bit late and didn't come over to Sign, normally she's very good and lovely with her Fans. And when she didn't, people started booing her so I just went (to the dealers) "Oh BOO YOU!"

Was also the case at the Tom Hanks Premiere a few years back, people booed him- and these were people right next to me and when that kind of thing happens its almost guilt by association.

I tend to think that dealers see the names as just pieces of meat with pound signs on them rather than talented individuals who hava a huge Fanbase and its those same Fans who would love (more than anything) to meet them.

Its such a shame, it really is.

• Like 1

How do you know for sure those people boo-ing are dealers? Please don't tell me something vague like "Its obvious!" like some clutz here did before.

Like I said before, their behavior is a big indicator that they're there to make a quick buck. Genuine fans will be the ones taking photos, talking to other people about the films and generally displaying excitement. The dealers are the opposite; they will each have several photo prints for one person to sign, running around the place talking to security and plotting their moves.

If you haven't been to a premiere then I suggest you do so to see what I mean. It's not too 'obvious', but when you've been to a few you get to identify them more easily.

I'm sure KingRichard76 can back me up on this because he's been to many more than I have.

Edited by Graphic_Delusions
  • Like 1

As Graphic_Delusions has said so well, "Behaviour is a big indicator."

I've only been doing the Baftas and Premieres for a few years now so I'm fully aware of who the collectors are and who the dealers are, there is (in my opinion) a certain etiquette to meeting Famous People, in the case of a Fan:

* Being extremely enamored with the Actor/Singer/Directors Talent and being in absolute awe when and if they do come over to the barrier to sign your DVD cover or what have you and maybe (if lucky) posing for a Photo. And thus cherishing the magnificent encounter and for days, weeks, months, years later it being truly a fantastic time.

In the case of a dealer:

* Its more like watching a David Attenborough documentary, "And its here on the often hostile planes of Leicester Square where a solitary creature, "The movie star." walks about its natural habitat, that of the Red Carpet, as flashbulbs pop, and the Worlds media hopes to enquire about their latest venture. The movie star pricks its ears and senses danger, the noise is more audible now and out of nowhere the dealers with multiple 10x8s in their hands and venom on their lips break cover, the gluttony of these creatures is so immense that the herd of them are able to bring down a metal barrier. See how the movie star sees the danger and makes quick their exit, the cries of "COME BACK AND SIGN YOU CENSORED CENSORED!" are loud and shrill, when the movie star flees from the ensuing madness the dealers give chase whether this be along the lines of others or chasing after the car the movie star has gotten into, or back to the hotel, orrr turned up on the doorstep where the moviestar lives and asked for an Autograph.

Quite a stark difference between Fans and dealers.

• Like 4

You get an interesting mix of people attending premieres, the dedicated autograph hunter, the tourist who has just stumbled into Leicester Square on the day and then the most controversial, the dealers !!!

I've been fortunate to attend many Premieres over the years and it can always get a bit hectic when the stars turn up and you will get dealers, or representatives of dealers potentially running along the lines and trying to lean over quite physically to shove their photos over yours to get them signed and as other posters have mentioned they can then be quite rude to the star if they don't sign.

The trouble is this then potentially impacts on the dedicated autograph hunters, who are sometimes perceived as being dealers and a star will then refuse to sign it all can leave a rather nasty taste in the mouth.

On the positive side Premieres can be fun, chatting and meeting like minded film and celebrity fans and a great rush of andrenaline when the stars arrive at Leicester Square and even more when you get that elusive signature or photo. There are many actors and Directors I wouldn't have had the chance to meet if I hadn't attended Premieres so worth a go if you haven't before, but if you are going do try and arrive early as you really need to be the first person at the barrier to have a decent chance of getting your item signed and be prepared for all weathers as well, as this is England !

Just to wet your appetites, here are a few of the people that I have met at Premieres and got autos from:

Adam Sandler

Keanu Reeves

Kurt Russell

Jack Black

Kevin Spacey

Bradley Cooper

Tom Cruise

Daniel Craig

Mickey Rourke

Jean Reno

Colin Farrell

Charlize Theron

Sandra Bullock

Simon Pegg

Christian Slater

Sharon Stone

Sylvester Stallone

Dustin Hoffman

Peter Jackson

Oliver Stone

Katie Holmes

Naomi Watts

Bryan Singer

Gillian Anderson

Tim Burton

How do you know for sure those people boo-ing are dealers? Please don't tell me something vague like "Its obvious!" like some clutz here did before.

I agree. I know of several "so called fans" who now make money from collecting autographs at premieres, stage doors etc but maintain they are true fans. Dealers are there

to make money. True fans are there to meet "famous people". However, there is now an ever increasing combination of the two being found in individuals.

I recently met Suggs backstage after one of his shows. There were already people waiting there with piles of photos - they were clearly dealers as one of them wasn't even sure who he was.

When he finally (after about an hour!) came out he clocked them straight away and said "there's the f***ing ebayers", he signed for everybody else and chatted and posed for photos and then walked straight past them and got into the car, they ran up to the car and he opened the window and told them he'd sign their tickets - he then chuckled and did the window up!!

That's the way that "celebs" should deal with dealers!

I was once waiting after a football match to meet some players and one dealer (I've seen him every time!) was complaining that kids were getting in his way with their autograph books!!

• Like 2

As Graphic_Delusions has said so well, "Behaviour is a big indicator."

I've only been doing the Baftas and Premieres for a few years now so I'm fully aware of who the collectors are and who the dealers are, there is (in my opinion) a certain etiquette to meeting Famous People, in the case of a Fan:

* Being extremely enamored with the Actor/Singer/Directors Talent and being in absolute awe when and if they do come over to the barrier to sign your DVD cover or what have you and maybe (if lucky) posing for a Photo. And thus cherishing the magnificent encounter and for days, weeks, months, years later it being truly a fantastic time.

In the case of a dealer:

* Its more like watching a David Attenborough documentary, "And its here on the often hostile planes of Leicester Square where a solitary creature, "The movie star." walks about its natural habitat, that of the Red Carpet, as flashbulbs pop, and the Worlds media hopes to enquire about their latest venture. The movie star pricks its ears and senses danger, the noise is more audible now and out of nowhere the dealers with multiple 10x8s in their hands and venom on their lips break cover, the gluttony of these creatures is so immense that the herd of them are able to bring down a metal barrier. See how the movie star sees the danger and makes quick their exit, the cries of "COME BACK AND SIGN YOU CENSORED CENSORED!" are loud and shrill, when the movie star flees from the ensuing madness the dealers give chase whether this be along the lines of others or chasing after the car the movie star has gotten into, or back to the hotel, orrr turned up on the doorstep where the moviestar lives and asked for an Autograph.

Quite a stark difference between Fans and dealers.

I think this is the best thing i've ever read!! :D

• Like 1

You get an interesting mix of people attending premieres, the dedicated autograph hunter, the tourist who has just stumbled into Leicester Square on the day and then the most controversial, the dealers !!!

I've been fortunate to attend many Premieres over the years and it can always get a bit hectic when the stars turn up and you will get dealers, or representatives of dealers potentially running along the lines and trying to lean over quite physically to shove their photos over yours to get them signed and as other posters have mentioned they can then be quite rude to the star if they don't sign.

The trouble is this then potentially impacts on the dedicated autograph hunters, who are sometimes perceived as being dealers and a star will then refuse to sign it all can leave a rather nasty taste in the mouth.

On the positive side Premieres can be fun, chatting and meeting like minded film and celebrity fans and a great rush of andrenaline when the stars arrive at Leicester Square and even more when you get that elusive signature or photo. There are many actors and Directors I wouldn't have had the chance to meet if I hadn't attended Premieres so worth a go if you haven't before, but if you are going do try and arrive early as you really need to be the first person at the barrier to have a decent chance of getting your item signed and be prepared for all weathers as well, as this is England !

Just to wet your appetites, here are a few of the people that I have met at Premieres and got autos from:

Adam Sandler

Keanu Reeves

Kurt Russell

Jack Black

Kevin Spacey

Bradley Cooper

Tom Cruise

Daniel Craig

Mickey Rourke

Jean Reno

Colin Farrell

Charlize Theron

Sandra Bullock

Simon Pegg

Christian Slater

Sharon Stone

Sylvester Stallone

Dustin Hoffman

Peter Jackson

Oliver Stone

Katie Holmes

Naomi Watts

Bryan Singer

Gillian Anderson

Tim Burton

I would definitely recommend to ANYONE who ventures forth and does or indeed is thinking of doing a Premiere/Baftas/Book Signing what have you a nice seat, as I started doing them my feet didn't really cause me that much of an issue but overtime it ended up causing one or two, so I would definitely recommend a seat, also an Umbrella really makes a World of difference, at Alice in Wonderland there were four of us all huddled under my NBC Umbrella whilst the Heavens opened and pelted us with h2o.

Same at Knight and Day, it was so bad we had to take cover near the local hotel, and then at The Other Guys it was a total washout towards the end, but to be fair we did manage to meet Will Ferrell and Mark Whalberg earlier, Harry Potter 7.1 and 7.2 (well its not a Harry Potter Premiere unless its raining) and the rain/hail/snow at this years Baftas was nuts- but don't let that put anyone off lol.

Theres a great camaraderie to be had at Premieres/Baftas/Book Signings as has already been mentioned you're all there with a common purpose AND in some cases there will be Famous People who may recognise you from either another Premiere or a convention or what have you, one example of this was last year at Dark Shadows, (Sorry Dave and Zoe, but I had to add this one :) ) I'd come out of Leicester Square Tube Station and feverishly made my way to the barrier when this voice said:

"Hello Richard."

I was thinking to myself, "Who on Earth in London knows my name?" I then turned around and saw it was Anthony Daniels, we had a nice chat and he was extremely civil to me- that was quite awesome. At the Premiere itself I met Terry Gilliam who recognised me a month later at Prometheus... And on the subject of Prometheus and like the right honourable gentleman said some time ago, a few people who I've met (at Premieres) are.

Ridley Scott.

Mr. Spielberg.

George Lucas.

Harrison Ford.

Angelina Jolie.

Charlize Theron.

Richard Zanuck.

Anne Hathaway.

Lisa Snowdon.

Etc etc etc.