Meeting Celebrities

geejari

This is my first event and I am taking my two daughters aged 7 & 11. We are mainly going as we are all doctor who fans and my daughters are really keen to meet some of the doctor cast. Especially David Tennant, I have booked standard entry tickets and doctor who talk tickets, but nothing else. My question is really can you meet the celebrities without having photo shoot / autographs as to do this would work out very expensive.

My question is really can you meet the celebrities without having photo shoot / autographs as to do this would work out very expensive.

Only if they are not busy and there is no queue of fans waiting to get their auto/photo. There's thousands of attendees who are paying to get autos and photos with the guests. Tenant will be very popular and have a big queue of auto hunters who have paid. For the less popular low key guests you might be able to stroll over to them and say hi at their desk...IF there are no people queing.

Edited by nicky

My question is really can you meet the celebrities without having photo shoot / autographs as to do this would work out very expensive.

Only if they are not busy and there is no queue of fans waiting to get their auto/photo. There's thousands of attendees who are paying to get autos and photos with the guests. Tenant will be very popular and have a big queue of auto hunters who have paid. For the less popular low key guests you might be able to stroll over to them and say hi at their desk...IF there are no people queing.

I realise that people who are paying for autographs etc will have priority and I wouldn't want to push into to this. Just wondered if you can see the celebrities whilst they are doing this. Or is it like Santa and you can't see them until you get to front of queue and go into the grotto?

• Moderators

Depending on the set up, it's unlikely you'll be able to see David Tennant.

You may be able to see other guests from a distance.

But trying to meet anyone without purchasing anything is certainly discouraged, and would be something you'd need to ask the crew member for approval.

This is true - they'll probably put him in his own little box away from everything and no-one will be able to see him unless they are getting an autograph.

Out of respect to people paying you never really just go up to guests. I only re-visit guests I have met if they have an open queue and no-one waiting to see them.

This is true - they'll probably put him in his own little box away from everything and no-one will be able to see him unless they are getting an autograph.

Out of respect to people paying you never really just go up to guests. I only re-visit guests I have met if they have an open queue and no-one waiting to see them.

Me too, I've only ever re-visited near the end for a meet and a chat if I've already gone through the 'normal' channels first. I have seen people in the past try to meet guests without making a purchase and it can come across as quite offensive to

1) those who have paid, but more importanty

2) the guest themselves as you can come across in effect as saying 'I like you/your work, but not enough to pay for your autograph'.

I have seen guests and visitors nearly dying of embarassment when they try and go for a chat via this route, so be careful and try to gauge the position from a distance first would be my advice.

Also, I have seen guests who have their selection of photo's and take the money at their signing table itself (as opposed to a separate photo selection table manned by SM crew) actually say to the visitor at the end of the chat or part way through 'which one would you like' Terribly awkward if the answer is 'none, thank you'

Edited by Nick

The other thing you need to bear in mind is that you're little ones will be a lot closer to the ground than the majority of the crowd who are also trying to get a peak.

I'm only 5ft 3" and find it hard to catch a glimpse of popular guests from the back of the queues.

I completely understand the financial concerns, which is why I can only look sometimes too, but it's your only guarantee that they will actually be able to get to see the guests.

I have seen people in the past try to meet guests without making a purchase and it can come across as quite offensive to

2) the guest themselves as you can come across in effect as saying 'I like you/your work, but not enough to pay for your autograph'.

I've never ever had a problem rocking up to a guest just to say hi. When I do go over I always ask 'permission' from the crew assistant or whoever before I actually open my gob. I'll just say smiling to the assistant, "I just wanted to say hello if thats ok." Its important to say this first as a way of pre-emptying the enounter so you dont get asked, "which would you like?" as you said. And I only ever do it when there is no queue and they are just sitting there...I think thats the key.

I dont agree with your 2nd point really. I could rock up to any of the guests in the supermarket and not ask for an auto and just say hello and give a compliment. No money is invloved there. When you meet guests at cons, you're paying for the auto, not the encounter.

Edited by nicky

I have seen people in the past try to meet guests without making a purchase and it can come across as quite offensive to

I've never ever had a problem rocking up to a guest just to say hi. When I do go over I always ask 'permission' from the crew assistant or whoever before I actually open my gob. I'll just say smiling to the assistant, "I just wanted to say hello if thats ok." Its important to say this first as a way of pre-emptying the enounter so you dont get asked, "which would you like?" as you said. And I only ever do it when there is no queue and they are just sitting there...I think thats the key.

I dont agree with your 2nd point really. I could rock up to any of the guests in the supermarket and not ask for an auto and just say hello and give a compliment. No money is invloved there. When you meet guests at cons, you're paying for the auto, not the encounter.

That's true and I agree completely, but I am only saying what I have seen on SOME occasions, not all. And often it is the agents who are in total control and are looking at the margins.

As regards the 'which would you like' point I made, I mean't on ocasions where the crew member is sitting right next to the guest, it can be an ice-thickener to say to them 'can I just say hi' and then look to your left or right, whichever, and do so. In these cases it's easier just to simply say hi to the guest directly and engage in a chat without having the chance to put any disclaimer in saying you only want a meet, not a photo.

As regards the supermarket, I know this one well. My parents are both well known (and no, I'm not going to say for what) but they get asked for photos and autos often in restaurants etc but that is completely different.

it can be an ice-thickener to say to them 'can I just say hi' and then look to your left or right, whichever, and do so. In these cases it's easier just to simply say hi to the guest directly and engage in a chat without having the chance to put any disclaimer in saying you only want a meet, not a photo.

I dont think its an ice-thickener. It's just showing common manners and social etiquette. Probably more of an ice-thickener if you don't acknowledge not getting an auto. I think its best to explain what you're there for if its different to everyone else. That way the guest/crew arent thinking, "Huh, is he gonna get an auto or what???" Going in guns blazing and engaging in chat and ignoring the fact that it expected of me to buy an auto is IMO poor social etiquette. Like I said, I wait till no queue is there and the guest isnt doing much, smile be polite and all is fine. Hard to say no in that situation.

Bit extreme but think of it like your talking to a hot girl with her parent or less attractive friend. You talk to the other person first to show respect and get their approval then turn your attention to the girl of your desire. Otherwise the other person will likely get annoyed and Cblock you.

Edited by nicky

I know Richard Hatch at this years LFCC was welcoming people to come over, he even said "you don't have to buy anything!" lovely man!!, I certainly have gone up to some of them when it is quieter and have asked them for a photo and everyone has said yes but this is probably personal choice.

I know Richard Hatch at this years LFCC was welcoming people to come over, he even said "you don't have to buy anything!" lovely man!!,

Marc Singer was like that too, beckonging people to come over from a distance. Some guests really aren't in it for the money contrary to popular belief.

I think it's safe to say that there's no way that they'll be keen on people going through DT's queue for a chat!

Nope, there's a 100% chance of him being on the VT system, which means that you can't get near his desk unless you have a VQ. You'll get to the half way point and when they ask you how many you want to buy, if you say none then I think they will politely ask you to leave :D

Thanks for all the info. I did guess David Tennant would be a very longshot despite my daughters ambitions. We will probably try to get some other autographs on the day.

I can say that Ian McNeice is a truly lovely man, and I'm sure he will be willing and open to chat to anyone as he usually is.

Hope you have a great day.

Please don't take any of my previous posts in a negative light, as I said I am VERY familiar with what it is like on both sides of this fence so to speak, and I can honestly say that you are likely to find everyone there appraochable and friendly (people only generally do cons when they want to) and they will expect to be approached, but time it right.

Some of the examples I have given have been with big A-listers who can be somewhat overmanged by their agents at these type of events. Some guests will embrace you and talk for ages, some may not look up at you and may refuse to shake your hand etc, it is personal choice on both sides.

At the end of the day, if you don't ask you don't get, but some people go about it the right way, and others not so much.

I know it's expensive but you could choose to buy one autograph of David Tennant. (By that I mean that you don't have to buy 3. You could buy one autograph as a family - unless you have a huge family - but an adult and two kids or two adults and two kids is usually alright but you would all need VQ tickets). I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong on that.

I realise that people who are paying for autographs etc will have priority and I wouldn't want to push into to this. Just wondered if you can see the celebrities whilst they are doing this. Or is it like Santa and you can't see them until you get to front of queue and go into the grotto?

It'll be like Santa but he'll be three times as busy.

I think you'll find the majority would disagree with you there! Trust me, if people were only paying for the autograph and not the encounter, they'd buy online and not even bother turning up to the conventions. Many people I've met have told me this, and some don't even collect autos either!