First Time at Collectormania!

Hey guys, I've never been to a convention before. I was just wondering how big is the Glasgow Collectormania and how many guests can we expect to be there? Will they have as many, and as big, names as MK and London? How long are the queues? Are you aloud to take pictures say with your own camera/phone with the guest? Thanks! :whistling:

Welcome to the event then.

It's not big enough to get the same big name guests that MK or London get, but each year the event does appear to get more investment put in to it.

The queues aren't that long, and generally everything moves at a steady pace, but it's balanced so that you can get a moment or 2 to ask the guest a question about their work.

At MK or London, there are some guests that for whatever reason do not want photos taken either of them or with them, I'm sure you can apprecaite that's their decision, but with our event, this is not something I've yet noticed happening. If in doubt, best thing you can do is watch those who are in front of you in the q for a guest and if you see photos being taken, you're ok, but if you don't see photos being taken, then don't bother asking when it's your turn to meet said guest.

Hope this helps, but feel free to post any more questions and they'll be answered by those in this section.

If you've not bought your entry ticket yet, may I suggest buying it online in advance? This has 2 benefits :-

1. Saves you paying on the day, as you've bought in advance!

2. More tickets sold online, means SM have a bigger budget to spend on the Glasgow event

Welcome to the event then.

It's not big enough to get the same big name guests that MK or London get, but each year the event does appear to get more investment put in to it.

The queues aren't that long, and generally everything moves at a steady pace, but it's balanced so that you can get a moment or 2 to ask the guest a question about their work.

At MK or London, there are some guests that for whatever reason do not want photos taken either of them or with them, I'm sure you can apprecaite that's their decision, but with our event, this is not something I've yet noticed happening. If in doubt, best thing you can do is watch those who are in front of you in the q for a guest and if you see photos being taken, you're ok, but if you don't see photos being taken, then don't bother asking when it's your turn to meet said guest.

Hope this helps, but feel free to post any more questions and they'll be answered by those in this section.

If you've not bought your entry ticket yet, may I suggest buying it online in advance? This has 2 benefits :-

1. Saves you paying on the day, as you've bought in advance!

2. More tickets sold online, means SM have a bigger budget to spend on the Glasgow event

Thanks!

Totally agree about the whole photo thing too.

Is there a list of the guests who were there last year just so I can get a good idea of what to expect? I would really like to meet anyone from Harry Potter and I've always wanted to meet Sam Neill!

Are the early bird tickets worth it?

Thanks again! :eek:

The early bird tickets really all depends on you as the attendee, some attendees like to get in, get what they want and leave to do other things, I've bought them in the past for myself and friends as we like to spend the day there taking in talks by the guests , leisurely browsing dealer stalls, stuff like that.

I think alot would like to meet Sam Neill, and he may be more suited to the bigger events, however Natalia Tena was at the Glasgow event I think last year, Warwick Davis has also done the glasgow event. It all depends on SM's judgement if they think they can recoup the costs involved of getting a guest to appear at an event, and indeed if the guest is available for the dates of the event.

Never say never though, the glasgow event is growing, maybe not as fast as some think , but it is, last year we got ( before he cancelled ) Joe Flanigan, who would have been flown over for the glasgow event, which shows SM are starting to bring overseas guests to our event. So based on that, guests such as Harry Melling/the Phelps twins are surely possible !

We've had Danny John-Jules, Chris Barrie and Craig Charles from Red Dwarf in the past, Peter Davison, Sylvester McCoy, Jeremy Bulloch, Nicholas Brendon...

Loads more.

There's also the guest talks on top of the signings, which can sometimes be all the more interesting if they're from someone "lower on the totem pole", as it were.

And obviously there's the Cosplay Masquerade, and a few other bits and pieces that go to make the event as fun as it is.

you will really enjoy the convention there always loads to see and do the atmosphere is fantastic everyone is nice and friendly especially the people in costume and we always have a great prop display it is a nice day out for all the family :(

The crew are all approachable and happy to answer any questions you may have about how things work at the event as well.

Are we :P

Generally speaking I think we are. Unless, of course, the question is "Which monster did you play in Dr Who then?" :P

you will really enjoy the convention there always loads to see and do the atmosphere is fantastic everyone is nice and friendly especially the people in costume and we always have a great prop display it is a nice day out for all the family :D

We were thinking of bringing our daughter, but she's only 3, not sure if 3's a good age to get her into geek stuff :D

you will really enjoy the convention there always loads to see and do the atmosphere is fantastic everyone is nice and friendly especially the people in costume and we always have a great prop display it is a nice day out for all the family :D

We were thinking of bringing our daughter, but she's only 3, not sure if 3's a good age to get her into geek stuff :D

There is no such thing as a bad age to get her into geek stuff :P

How do the queues work? Do you just simply join the queue whenever you want, do you need a ticket first?

Also do they supply photos? Do you get a choice of which photo and can you ask them to sign your own items?

Thanks! :D

For some guests you will be able to just join the queue for an autograph, no ticket required. Busier guests may operate a virtual queuing system (explained by Too Tall in the below quote). In both cases you pay for your autograph once you are in the queue.

Various 10"x8" images are provided (for free) for people who do not bring anything of their own to sign. Which answers your last query - yes you can bring your own items to sign.

Edit: Just to add. It is priced per autograph. So if you require two items signing then you will need to pay for two autographs.

What are Vitrual Queues and Virtual Tickets and how do they work?

To help cut down the amount of time you have to spend standing in a queue SM have introduced a virtual queuing system. When you go to meet one of the busier guests, instead of everyone standing in an "real" queue you will be handed a ticket with a number on it (your Virtual Ticket). This number is your position in the "virtual" queue. Only around 30 people stand in the "real" queue. You can join this "real" queue once your position in the "virtual" queue is reached. Think of it like taking a number in a doctors waiting room. You will know your position is reached when your Virtual Ticket number is called.

This system means once you have your VT for a guest you are free to wander around the event, join other queues and get other VTs.

This system is only used on the busier guests, for the quieter guests you will just join the "real" queue straight away.

Note: You do not pay for the Virtual Tickets they are free. You pay per autograph when you come back and join the "real" queue.

Note: Virtual Tickets are given out ONE PER PERSON, you will only be given one ticket. If you want to get a ticket for a friend there is nothing stopping you from joining the queue again and getting another ticket Just remember it will only be one ticket for each time you queue up.

Note: Only a ticket holder will be able to join the queue once their number is called. If you are planning to accompany someone (to take photographs or help carry bags, etc) you will still need a ticket, even if you are not planning on getting an autograph yourself. This does also apply to adults accompanying children.

Virtual Ticket numbers for guests will be announced (in batches of around 30) once the previous group of people in the "real" queue have their autographs.

Once your Virtual Ticket number is called you can then join the much smaller "real" queue. There will of course still be some queuing involved in the "real" queue! If you don't want to have to keep going back to the guests queue to see what number they are up to, you can check one of the white boards around the hall. These are kept up to date every 30 minutes or so.

The numbers shown are for any number UPTO that number. You can go up anytime after your number is called. So if you have ticket number 100 and the board is showing 200, this is fine, you haven't missed your turn.

Edited by 1of2

I brought my son along to the one the Warrick Davis and Natalia Tena were at. They were all so nice to him, he was less than a year old (prob about 10months).

Quite funny when I got (three) photos with Warrick, then a collective picture with Kenny and the other Ewoks etc. Such a good day. David Prowse's face lite up when I said to my son "Look, here is the REAL Darth Vader".

In short - bring your kids, it'll add so much more to the whole family experience.

I've had my kids coming along since they were 4 or 5... This'll be Lee's second, and Morgan's third, and they're 5 and 8 respectively ( By the time it comes round ).

Morgan's been costuming as Newt from Aliens every year since she started coming, and looks forward to it all year!