Costumes

puffnbear

Where do you get fabric paint? And how messy could it get? :D

Hobbycraft, John Lewis.. pretty much anywhere that sells craft supplies.

It's just like normal paint really so you can use a paintbrush, shouldn't be too messy. Just remember to put something between the layers of fabric before you paint.

Edited by emmy141

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you're going to have to go with the fabric paint as well, good idea captain mal.

I'm going to the friday night party as a vampire cheerleader and the trouble i have had trying to get a cheerleading outfit is unbelievable as the top is made of cotton. I'm getting the skirt made for me and thought i would have no problem finding a mustard top to go with it. No such luck. I've found it impossible to get a similar mustard top and just as hard to get a mustard dye!!! The stress we go through for these parties. At least it's worth it in the end. Oh and if anyone knows where to get a mustard colour clothes dye i would be very grateful as at the minute i'm gonna go with gold. :D

There are some washing machine dyes in Boyes and hidden really well in Wilkos at approx £5.00 per box - don't foget the salt. There might be some hand dyes but I do believe is saw a mustard in Boyes

I'm on the hunt for his gloves at the moment, if you have any suggestions.

I've been looking and best suggestion is to buy some black leather look "work" fingerless gloves and to paint the parts the right colour.

I'm asuming it's these gloves of his:

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm901814528/ch0003807

Yeah, those are the ones I'm looking for. I've had no luck finding anything that looks even vaguely like them.

Here's a few similar:

http://www.limitedgoods.com/itemView.php?P...oogleUK_InStock

http://www.asos.com/Asos/Asos-Leather-And-..._product_search

Ebay may be worth a look:

I did a quick search (I'm on lunch at work) and lots came up

http://www.bici.co.uk/Models.aspx?PartnerI...;ModelID=519099

http://sports.shop.ebay.co.uk/Cycling-/729...d=p3286.c0.m282

Thanks, chimmykins, but while fingerless gloves are easy enough to find, none of them look like Jayne Cobb's. The best option seems to be to buy a pair of gardening gloves and to cut the fingers off, but I can't find a pair in a sensible colour.

I thought they looked more leathery bike type gloves than gardening gloves... :blink: I'd go for painting them and/or trying ebay - they have quite a few similar gardening gloves on there.

I think you're going to have to go with the fabric paint as well, good idea captain mal.

I'm going to the friday night party as a vampire cheerleader and the trouble i have had trying to get a cheerleading outfit is unbelievable as the top is made of cotton. I'm getting the skirt made for me and thought i would have no problem finding a mustard top to go with it. No such luck. I've found it impossible to get a similar mustard top and just as hard to get a mustard dye!!! The stress we go through for these parties. At least it's worth it in the end. Oh and if anyone knows where to get a mustard colour clothes dye i would be very grateful as at the minute i'm gonna go with gold. :WINCE:

There are some washing machine dyes in Boyes and hidden really well in Wilkos at approx £5.00 per box - don't foget the salt. There might be some hand dyes but I do believe is saw a mustard in Boyes

thanks Nixter :pyth:

I was thinking of dressing as River this year - from the scene in Serenity when she kills all the Reavers. I have the dress, boots and a (fake) machete, but I can't figure out how to make the other knife she has. Any ideas?

its more of an axe, keep an eye out for a cheap halloween costume style axe and make any changes you need to make it more like the one she uses, like by spraying it the right colours, just remember to sand it down and use a primer first, its dead easy B&Q or similar should sell all you would need.

• Moderators

Well, I wasn't going to, but I just bought yet another black T-shirt, and iron-on transfers that are actually designed for black fabric this time. Because I'm a perfectionist and the design just isn't showing up properly on the ones I tried already.

(Crossing my fingers that I didn't delete the photoshop file with all of the pieces of the design laid out for printing...)

I was thinking of dressing as River this year - from the scene in Serenity when she kills all the Reavers. I have the dress, boots and a (fake) machete, but I can't figure out how to make the other knife she has. Any ideas?

its more of an axe, keep an eye out for a cheap halloween costume style axe and make any changes you need to make it more like the one she uses, like by spraying it the right colours, just remember to sand it down and use a primer first, its dead easy B&Q or similar should sell all you would need.

Thanks for the tips. Hopefully I can find a plastic one in a costume shop or something! I'm flying down from Scotland so can't have anything real :lol:

Thanks for the tips. Hopefully I can find a plastic one in a costume shop or something! I'm flying down from Scotland so can't have anything real :D

i did only mean a plastic one hahaha and by b&q i was only meaning for spray paints, not that you should go and buy an axe or anything hahaha

Bandolier sorted, I think I've sourced the thigh holster and bowie knife, and I've bought some fabric paint for my gloves. Wish me luck. :lol:

good luck! Just take your time and it will be fine ;)

Thanks to Captain Mal (and chimmykins too) for the help and advice. The blue and red gardening gloves now have two coats of brown fabric paint on them and now have a pretty cool brown leathery look to them. I'm cutting the fingers off them tonight. :D

Bandolier sorted, I think I've sourced the thigh holster and bowie knife, and I've bought some fabric paint for my gloves. Wish me luck. :lol:

good luck! Just take your time and it will be fine ;)

Thanks to Captain Mal (and chimmykins too) for the help and advice. The blue and red gardening gloves now have two coats of brown fabric paint on them and now have a pretty cool brown leathery look to them. I'm cutting the fingers off them tonight. :D

Yay! :D Glad it worked out.

The blue and red gardening gloves now have two coats of brown fabric paint on them and now have a pretty cool brown leathery look to them. I'm cutting the fingers off them tonight. :YAHOO:

The fingers have been cut off and the final coat of brown paint has been applied to the blue and red areas on the gloves. I just need to decide whether to paint over some or all of the grey areas. I'll try and post a photo either tonight or tomorrow to get some opinions.

Not sure if these links will work or not but, what do you think? More brown? All brown? Just across the knuckles?

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?f...mp;id=625885666

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?f...mp;id=625885666

Depends how accurate you want them to be as I believe his are black where your white parts are?

Reference this pic: http://www.imdb.com/media/rm901814528/ch0003807

But, I think they look good as they are! :)

Good point. I'll look for some black paint.

:) Looking forward to seeing your outfit! Not long to go now.

Have you got much else to get?

His bowie knife and thigh holster, both of which I can get on ebay, but I'm waiting to see if the local shops get them in stock for Hallowe'en. Londonderry has a massive Hallowe'en party each year, and the shops are usually pretty well stocked.

How about your Kaylee costume? Got all your patches?

His bowie knife and thigh holster, both of which I can get on ebay, but I'm waiting to see if the local shops get them in stock for Hallowe'en. Londonderry has a massive Hallowe'en party each year, and the shops are usually pretty well stocked.

Yep, got all the patches now. It's boots that I'm struggling to find at the moment!

Yep, got all the patches now. It's boots that I'm struggling to find at the moment!

I agree with WILLOW99. A pair of DMs would fit the bill.

I got the knife in town today. Found the thigh holster set too, and I'll get it next week. I just wanted to check that I couldn't get it cheaper on eBay. Just need to finish painting my gloves and that'll be me sorted.

I agree with WILLOW99. A pair of DMs would fit the bill.

I got the knife in town today. Found the thigh holster set too, and I'll get it next week. I just wanted to check that I couldn't get it cheaper on eBay. Just need to finish painting my gloves and that'll be me sorted.

look forward to seeing this costume, come and find me at the con, i want to see it!!!!!