Thoughts From Sunday

That is what I also liked about the Shatner layout. It allowed people who were actually going to meet him to grab a quick photo (although it appears that sometimes there were no photos...not sure what happened there) from a reasonable distance rather than everbody hanging around the end of the queue trying to grab a picture.

I liked this set up too - I was able to get out of the queue for a minute after getting into his area and paying, take a couple of shots from the back of the area, then rejoin the queue to get my photo signed (I had a photoshoot with him Saturday, so it was back and ready to be signed on the Sunday).

I had a great time with all 5 of the other guests I met on Sunday too.

All three of the Ashes to Ashes guests were friendly and not rushed during autographs in the morning. Andrew Clover chatted for ages, and I liked that Tony Marshall stood up and introduced himself when I went to get his autograph - how polite! Both of them, and Geoff Francis were great in the talk - that was really enjoyable.

I got an autograph with Liz Sladen, and a candid shot. I thought she was lovely - she was busy, but I saw her in the morning and she was taking time with the guests. She asked how long I'd been in the queue and apologised for the wait, even though it hadn't been that long!

I also got an autograph with Katee who was great.

Edited by girlingray

what i didnt like though was all the bloody noise coming from the b/ cos player stage, at times it drowned out the stars speaking in the main stage/ A, I know we cant turn the screaming down but please can SM turn down there speaker volume, its crazy if your in a talk with the Shatner for example and all you can hear is "and the winner is" and screaming and loud music from the other stage. even worse for the guest being interupted or not being able to hear the questions.

what i didnt like though was all the bloody noise coming from the b/ cos player stage, at times it drowned out the stars speaking in the main stage/ A, I know we cant turn the screaming down but please can SM turn down there speaker volume, its crazy if your in a talk with the Shatner for example and all you can hear is "and the winner is" and screaming and loud music from the other stage.

... even worse for the guest being interupted or not being able to hear the questions.

As happened NUMEROUS times during the Star Wars Imperials talk - I think at one time or another, they were ready to just up and call it a day 'cause there were loudspeakers and cosplayer screaming and the announcements being insanely loud from the other talk area :D I felt really bad for them. They ended up taking it with a pinch of humor but still ..

Its the one thing that needs improving but because of the venue its very hard to.

Would be so much better if the talk areas were in their own little places, but as you can see from the venue that wont happen.

So either SM carry on as it is, maybe turning up the speakers, which in turn then might annoy people not in the talks and make it harder than it already is to hear people in the venue.

Or, stop doing talks till they can sort something out, which again isnt great as it would annoy peope who love the talks and cut off quite a bit of revenue for SM from the paid talks.

Or, stop doing talks till they can sort something out, which again isnt great as it would annoy peope who love the talks and cut off quite a bit of revenue for SM from the paid talks.

I really wish they won't have to do that, cause I really missed those in Milton Keynes!

The reason I don't do the paid talks at LFACC is because of the sound quality, it can be really hard to hear what the speaker is saying or what questions are being asked. It's not the end of the world when its free but for £20 I want to be able to hear the thing properly.

Exactly, with all the complaints about the temporary venue at MK not allowing for talks they wont do it for LFCC.

But the only way I can see them improving it is:

1) Spending a hell of a lot of money and getting more of the hall, meaning they could space everything out more and have the talk areas at opposite ends, keeping the main stage away from the gaming area and other noisey things.

or

2) Invest in higher barriers for the talk areas as it might help block more sound. Or have some sort of make-shift roof over the areas. Both once again being expensive for SM to sort out and get.

EC dosnt seem to have any rooms inside big enough to accomodate not only the audience but the queues to get in and out safely and without being a massive crush.

Edit: Count, the one talk I went to that was actually ok this weekend sound-wise was my only paid one with Shatner. I heard him clearly throughout and he didnt have to stop. He sometimes found it a bit hard to hear questions but I think it was a combination of accents, speeds, people being nervous and the venue all together.

Edited by BeatrixKiddo88

I only went on Sunday and I have to say the event was just as good as all the Showmaster's events!

I was really supprised that the auto queues were sooo sort, I thought Mr Shatner was going to be really busy so didn't think I would bother getting his auto. But after seeing that he was an open queue, I though i'd might as well!

I also got Sean Young's and Katee Stackhoff's autos.

I went to Katee's talk also, have to agree on the sound quality. I notice that the show was only uses half of the hall, couldn't one of the talk areas be put in the other half, or would it cost more to have the other half?

One major annoyance at LFCC has always been the lack or seats, sitting on the floor waiting for your photos is not fun, can something be done about that??

But all in all, a great show, thanks to all the crew :YAHOO:

Jon.

One major annoyance at LFCC has always been the lack or seats, sitting on the floor waiting for your photos is not fun, can something be done about that??

Jon.

Can something be done about it? Yes, seats can be hired.

Will somehting be done about it? No, not if experience is anything to go by

tony the cylon always getting photo shoot hugs! im starting a petition to ban him from photo shoots, its not fair! damn you!!!! lol

:WINCE:;):poki::cylon::cylon:

But you get double photos nearly everytime anyway!

Re: the tannoy announcements, agree with Silky cat, the imperials took it in good heart, especially Ken Colley, it happened to him three times in a row! LOL

Main thing to cripe about on Sunday was the whole Shatner talk/Sackhoff photoshoot ten minute window thing which a few of us highlighted a few times as soon as the talk and phot times were posted.

As it happened, Tysons photo shoot over ran as he turned up late, which had a knock on effect. Got to say that the crew at the photoshoot section really handled it well and escalated things when there were about 2 minutes until the shatner talk and yet still about 30 people to go through the Tyson shoot.

As it happens, due to the seating issue, Bill's talk was delayed and everyone got both done, without missing the start of the talk, however, maybe not putting a really popular guests photoshoot minutes before the biggest paid talk could be considered next time. But as I said before, the crew sorting things out were great :D

Everything else on Sunday was positive, great guests, less busy and of course getting to hear Timelord moan everytime he saw my photos. Thanks everyone.

Ah same here. You don't need my preaching/help then :D . I usually carry a mini grey card to tune the white balance. When I forget that (like this weekend) I have found that using the grey panelling as a reference point is pretty close to neutral. It is a slightly lighter tone than the grey card but better than anything else. I use a Nikon camera and their RAW software so it's possible it will 'see' a different tone in the panels than that of Adobe. In an ideal world it shouldn't really, but it's not a ideal world so different combinations of camera and software...

I'm still fairly new to this and must admit the Shatner talk is the first time I have seen self-regulation that I can recall. Every other talk I have been to in the last three years has required that someone request the audience to stop flashing. Could have worded that better. I won't change it!

Yeah, I had mine with me too but it's not so mini and couldn't find anywhere decent to put it as I only had my telephoto lenses with me and they need a bit of distance to focus. I was using the grey panelling at the back but, boy, did it do funky things to the blues! Did not give good results :unsure: I remember the same problem with this venue last year. I got around 10-12 decent flash shots of William, Lis and the Being Human cast but just the two of Katee (if I'm told to do something I will obey). Bah! She was the main reason I was there too and went both days. I use Olympus and the noise at high ISO is a problem but the light weight and brilliant glass in their lenses makes up for a lot, as does the four-thirds system (a 150mm lens actually gives 300mm in 35mm terms). Good thinking about using dedicated software though. I took the Olympus one off my computer as it was so slooooooooooooow and I like the workflow in Lightroom. I may re-install it and see if that helps. Thank you! In the 3 + years I have had this camera, it's only the third time I've had a problem. The first was because someone left on a projector and it shone right onto the guests all weekend :poki: The other time was at LFCC last year. Unless they bring in better, dedicated lighting for the talks (as some other events do), I guess we'll just have to make do. Hope it's better at Olympia in November!

I've seen self-regulation most of the time over the years. Occasionally there's the odd thoughtless (or inexperienced) person but a gentle reminder at the start and as to why usually suffices. If it's still going on after 4 or 5 minutes then, yes, a reminder ought to be given but that 50-odd seconds was ludicrous. It possibly depends on the talk/guest though and how (in)experienced the audience are. If Katee'd asked for just a minute, then tell us it would be for a minute only. I'd much rather be told up front. Still, crew are only human and I guess they live and learn like the rest of us :poki: Just hope Showmasters take note of this though. Much rather know in advance etc.than receive a 'nasty' surprise like yesterday.

And am still ROTFL over your flashing comment - glad you didn't change it :poki:

Edited by thefreckles