GUEST CANCELLATION John Barrowman

showmasters

Yes, I know what you say about one guest, BUT....

Well given the fact that this event virtually sold out of higher-priced tickets on the strength of the announcement of John, and that SM did a very clever marketing campaign to ensure that that happened, I do think that some sort of offfer of limited refunds is now in order. I have a gold ticket, which I won't now be using, and somebody else may want. I'd even happily accept the difference between a standard and gold.

In the circumstances, for SM not to offer anything would be very poor form, and would not exactly encourage John's legion of fans to book any future SM events.

The terms and conditoins say you won't get refunds if a guest cancels. You bought the ticket on that basis so its down to you, sorry but thats the way it is. Theres still 11 guest going, be satisfied.

Ive been to many a convention where the big names have cancelled in Jared and Jensen from Supernatural. Yeah gutted but a one con i went to where Jared cancelled it turned out to be the best con ever but this year when they both attended it was worse because of certain freaky people who make life a misery for others. Plus queues, big queues which i stood in from 4am till 9.30am just to get a photo with Jared!

Edited by lesleynile

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the end, as with anything in life, you just get some people who consider their own needs and wants, and the wider picture is completely irrelevant to them.

You sadly grow to expect such behaviour over the years.

It was this post, in which I thought you were talking about all of us who are extremely unhappy about the cancellation. Now I think I understand what you were likely referring to. But at the time, your post seemed to refer to anyone who's complaining. So, sorry.

For the record, my partner and I aren't asking for nor expecting any special treatment; we're not demanding a refund or recompense. We know that's not how things work. But, for the many reasons I mentioned, we're not happy and do feel we were led on, to an extent.

No matter now. Now we are looking forward to seeing friends we have made in this fandom--some of them who are flying over from the US (they had originally signed up hoping to see/meet JB.)

And sazzra, to quote you: " the people who are only interested in him would still be asking for refunds and complaining because they still wouldn't like Torchwood and would still only attend anything that he's at."

Not necessarily. We liked John in Torchwood--his role as Captain Jack (first in DW) was what introduced us to him. We were fans of Torchwood and as such felt that JB headlining a TW convention was the best thing ever and we were really looking forward to that, esp. as we do not have other opportunities to see him in any other context. We're not the kind of people who can afford to go to everything he's in everywhere.

You've quoted me but missed my main point. I said the people who are only interested in him. If you're interested in Torchwood, fine, but I heard a lot of people saying at Hub 1 that they wouldn't go to any more unless John were announced as they didn't like the show. It's those people who are 'the people only interested in him', the type that will buy tickets based solely on his name and then complain if he pulls out. If you feel the show has been killed by CoE, that's a different issue entirely and opens other cans of worms. There's never been any hint of 'appeasement' with the guests announced - CoE was hyped by everyone before it came out, logically there would be a good chunk of guests from it as it is the most recent and probably most awaited of the series to date. I'm sure no one could have predicted the backlash from people such as yourself who hated it and think it destroyed the franchise, least of all SM/ME who would have been booking the guests long before it aired.

I'm also going to take issue with your 'much hyped' comment - I was at Hub 2 as well, so heard what was said and saw the video. Jason said a guest was booked, he showed the video, it was John, people chose to camp in the foyer all night. That's it - from then on it was really down to person choice (I have a low number Gold too, btw, before anyone tries the 'well you obviously didn't queue for hours' tack. I did.).Yes, there was a lot of shrieking and yelling about it, but from whom? The people buying the tickets, not those selling them. I really can't see how we were 'led on' any more than other cons where announcements have been made but the guest has pulled out later on.

ETR comment which no longer made sense

Edited by sazzra

• Moderators

It was this post, in which I thought you were talking about all of us who are extremely unhappy about the cancellation. Now I think I understand what you were likely referring to. But at the time, your post seemed to refer to anyone who's complaining. So, sorry.

For the record, my partner and I aren't asking for nor expecting any special treatment; we're not demanding a refund or recompense. We know that's not how things work. But, for the many reasons I mentioned, we're not happy and do feel we were led on, to an extent.

No matter now. Now we are looking forward to seeing friends we have made in this fandom--some of them who are flying over from the US (they had originally signed up hoping to see/meet JB.)

No problem. I realise in a different context, it can be taken pretty personally - but that's why I said 'some' and didn't quote anyone directly :smile:

I completely sympathise with the situation of losing any guest really, especially a headliner. It happened to me with an event recently and my no.1 meet, so I've felt the upset myself!

It's just those who then take it a little too far and have unreasonable demands after, without any care for how it'll impact on the wider picture.

I certainly hope you and everyone else manage to have an enjoyable weekend :smile:

sazzra, you're right, I did miss your main point--I certainly misunderstood! And for that, sorry!

And no, I don't take what you've said as *having a go,* at me, hon.

Deleted some of it now anyway :smile: I glad you see though that I'm referring to the full on squeal monsters rather than the TorchwoodJack fans (I am one of them!) who are understandably disappointed. I think some are just getting it out of proportion, but am glad to know that you're not going to let it ruin your weekend :smile:

Hi. Just wanted to ask something I've been wondering about, re: No Refund/No Transfer policy. Now I totally understand the No Refund policy and, even though my friends and I are no longer attending Hub3 (for differing reasons), we wouldn't dream of asking for or expect any refunds, that goes without saying. But I'm curious as to why tickets can't be transferred to someone else. What is the main reasoning for this? Because it seems strange that a ticket can't be sold (or even given away) to someone else to attend, so that it doesn't go to waste. I wouldn't have thought it would make any difference to the organisers who has the ticket as they've already had their money for it regardless. I guess I must be missing something obvious but could someone enlighten me anyway, please, lol?!

And btw, I just want to say that, whilst I'm no longing attending the con on this occasion, I went to and loved both Hub1 and 2 very much and think they're terrific, wonderfully organised events and hope everyone who is going has an amazing time. :)

Edited by spaceygal

I'm only guessing, but I would think it has to do with all the legal stuff of a payment forming a contract binding both sides. If you buy the ticket, you've agreed to all the terms as it's on the website, but should you sell that to someone else they won't have a contract with SM/ME, and won't have agreed to the terms. I know some organisers do allow transfers but charge for doing so, and that's how they get around the contract thing.

I'm only guessing, but I would think it has to do with all the legal stuff of a payment forming a contract binding both sides. If you buy the ticket, you've agreed to all the terms as it's on the website, but should you sell that to someone else they won't have a contract with SM/ME, and won't have agreed to the terms. I know some organisers do allow transfers but charge for doing so, and that's how they get around the contract thing.

Ah I see, yes. That makes sense, I guess. Certainly seems a shame that someone else can't benefit from being able to use a ticket that will ultimately go to waste, but I understand it if there's legalities involved, like you mention above. Thanks for replying.

There were 5 guests when the tickets went on sale I think. John, Daniela Denby-Ashe, Nikki Amuka-Bird, Lara Phillipart and Ben Loyd-Holmes.

And realistically, how many people do you think were queuing overnight in the foyer to get low-number gold tickets for guests other than John? Even SM knew that tickets would be "much in demand" when the first guest - JB - was announced.

And thank you, teewood, for the kind and articulate post :smile:

We were also looking forward to CoE. But that was before it aired, before they destroyed the show and characters we loved best and basically killed the Torchwood we knew and loved. That made JB's appearance all the more important at Hub3, and was also why a lot of us pleaded for SM to get Gareth. For an awful lot of us, this Hub was going to be, eseentially, a goodbye, because we knew that even if they brought TW back, it wasn't going to be even remotely the show we had loved. This is why so many of us are not *appeased* by the fact that the majority of guests are actually FROM CofE--the very thing that destroyed TW for many of us.

I couldn't agree more, Teewood. This is part of the reason why my friend and I are no longer attending (but not the only reason) the con. It's not just because JB is no longer attending (although we are disappointed about that, of course). But in the past few months (since CoE aired) we've come to realise we just don't have the same enthusiasm for TW anymore. As most of the guests at Hub3 are from CoE all the talks will naturally focus on this particular series, which doesn't interest us. I hope, if there is to be a S4 of TW we'll love it and it'll rekindle our love for the show, but for now I guess we just want to concentrate on other stuff.

There were 5 guests when the tickets went on sale I think. John, Daniela Denby-Ashe, Nikki Amuka-Bird, Lara Phillipart and Ben Loyd-Holmes.

And realistically, how many people do you think were queuing overnight in the foyer to get low-number gold tickets for guests other than John? Even SM knew that tickets would be "much in demand" when the first guest - JB - was announced.

Well Daniela being announced was a reason I wanted to buy a ticket and then John was announced which was just a bonus.

• Moderators

Sorry, haven’t read all the 10 pages.

But can somebody explain, why don’t they just make James Masters a free guest now?. :angel:

They have said they are still working on more guests.

Plus contracts have been signed regarding James' appearance here, and so it wouldn't be that simple.

hmmm, maybe someone should call Matt Rippy, so there's at least one Jack Harkness there.....

Very good idea, I'd love if it Matt Rippy was announced for this event. :angel:

But can somebody explain, why don’t they just make James Masters a free guest now?. :huh:

To do that it'd be quite complicated and James' management might not want it to work like that. B)

Edited by Doctor Who

But can somebody explain, why don’t they just make James Masters a free guest now?. :angel:

Because he's a sponsored guest. His status has nothing to do with who is or isn't attending as an included guest, it's a completely different contract set up.

And thank you, teewood, for the kind and articulate post :angel:

Well as one of the people who queued in the foyer from 5.30 in the morning, I did it because I wanted a good seat at the talks!

They have said they are still working on more guests.

Plus contracts have been signed regarding James' appearance here, and so it wouldn't be that simple.

So can I read into that statement, that John Barrowmans fee was less than that of James Masters?.

Else wouldn’t it be in his interest to renegotiate his contract terms?.

• Moderators

So can I read into that statement, that John Barrowmans fee was less than that of James Masters?.

Else wouldn’t it be in his interest to renegotiate his contract terms?.

You can't read anything into that whatsoever.

It has nothing to do with us what any guest's contract states.

And thank you, teewood, for the kind and articulate post biggrin.gif

I queued because I wanted a decent seat in the talks and because my friend wanted a low numbered standard ticket as her number one draw for this event is Daniela. Sweeping assumptions are unwise - you can't assume that everyone who queued queued purely because John had been announced.

And this point is getting enormously circular. John was announced at the Hub 2 and those who wanted to purchase a ticket for Hub 3 did so at that event but if they chose to book for one guest and one guest only that was entirely their own choice to make. I don't think ticket sales would have been any different if you had announced John 3 days/3 weeks/3 months after tickets went on sale - people would still have booked purely to see John Barrowman and would still have been expressing distress and a desire for some degree of recompense now.

Golden rule - will I enjoy this convention if X doesn't attend? If the answer is no - DO NOT BOOK until 2/3 days before the event. Sort your hotel room and then get a ticket at the eleventh hour when you can be comfortable that the guest of your choice is attending. You risk the event selling out and having a very high ticket number but you have the comfort of knowing that the person you want to see should (bearing disasters) be there. People do need to take ownership of their actions in these situations.

I have made no generalisations, or sweeping statements. I asked a simple question.

And you will kindly note that I have not asked for any form of recompense. I merely expressed my opinion (which I am perfectly entitled to do, as are you and everyone else) about the sale of Hub 3 tickets and the announcement of JB's attendance.

I hope your friend enjoys Daniela :smile:

• Moderators

Personally, I'd have queued up and bought my ticket even if no guests had been announced. I thoroughly enjoyed Hub 2 - partly because of the guests, yes, but a lot of it was meeting up with people I'd chatted to online, making new friends with people who 'speak my language' so to speak. Getting to 'geek out' in person instead of through a computer screen.

The guests really were just the icing on the cake. As such, I know I'm still going to have a brilliant time at Hub 3, even with John cancelling - the icing will be slightly different, but the cake is all still there!

Does that mean I'm not a bit disappointed about the cancellation, of course not - I was looking forward to seeing him in panel talks with Gareth and/or James, but it's not the end of the world. (And there's nothing saying that I won't still one day get to see those combinations in talks at some future event!)