New Guests please at Hub 3

Avengers7

I remember having this heated discussion on here before.

As much as I and others love seeing some guests more than once, it would be great if we could have new guests at Hub 3 who never been to an event before.

Denby Ashe, and the others at this event are great as they are "new" guests. Ianto etc were great but having met them numerous times, now is the time to meet people such as Indira Virma and Freem who have never attended events before.

Hopefully, Hub 3 will be full of new blood - Barrowman not included in this as he is THE main character and we do need one of the main leads at least.

I respectfully disagree.

As I stated on the other thread, the Hub 3 will be post-Series 3, and I think there will be loads of new topics for even the regular guests to talk about. For me, this is a Torchwood convention and it wouldn't be the same without more than one member of the main cast. Freema's great, but to me she is Doctor Who, not Torchwood. I want to hear about Children of Earth at The Hub 3. I'd like to hear the cast be able to talk freely now about their roles in that series and what the future of the characters are.

I love having a mix of the new and the seasoned guests.

I respectfully disagree.

Freema's great, but to me she is Doctor Who, not Torchwood. I want to hear about Children of Earth at The Hub 3. I love having a mix of the new and the seasoned guests.

I understand what you're saying but I would have NO problem with Freema being there (please, please!!) she was in the serie, if you go by that "rule" James Masters is not "welcome" either.

Well I sure wouldn't "even" mind if they brought Jack's doctor in as well.....even if he hasn't been on TW. :rolleyes:

As I stated on the other thread, the Hub 3 will be post-Series 3, and I think there will be loads of new topics for even the regular guests to talk about.

There are other mediums they can talk about it, but there's only one way to meet people. So I'd rather meet new people and get their autographs, personally.

I, too, prefer a blend of old and new guests. Personally, I like the continuity of Gareth and Kai, and I especially love the notion for this next event of having as many of the five main cast members from S1 and S2 as possible. As others have pointed out, CoE will have occurred and we aren't sure yet how the rumours will pan out or whether we'll have heard anything about a Series 4.

If ticket sales remain as brisk as it looks like they might, we may well have even more guests than we've had. Given that, and the fact that there will be lots of new attendees and returnees who want to see some of the ones who've been there before, what would be the harm in inviting some recurring guests, as well as some new ones? As one who gravitates more naturally toward the opposite end of the scale from you (i.e., I'd still be immensely happy with my Gold ticket price if I saw nobody but my favourite guests from Hubs 1 and 2), it seems like a decent compromise to me. :D

I respectfully disagree.

As I stated on the other thread, the Hub 3 will be post-Series 3, and I think there will be loads of new topics for even the regular guests to talk about. For me, this is a Torchwood convention and it wouldn't be the same without more than one member of the main cast. Freema's great, but to me she is Doctor Who, not Torchwood. I want to hear about Children of Earth at The Hub 3. I'd like to hear the cast be able to talk freely now about their roles in that series and what the future of the characters are.

Totally agree. I would love to hear the core cast of S3 discuss Children of Earth. Then let's see who we can get as a bonus! :D

Uninv1ted

(Suki Blue)

I respectfully disagree.

Freema's great, but to me she is Doctor Who, not Torchwood. I want to hear about Children of Earth at The Hub 3. I love having a mix of the new and the seasoned guests.

I understand what you're saying but I would have NO problem with Freema being there (please, please!!) she was in the serie, if you go by that "rule" James Masters is not "welcome" either.

Well I sure wouldn't "even" mind if they brought Jack's doctor in as well.....even if he hasn't been on TW. :D

I didn't say that anyone wasn't welcome or that there were rules. I just gave my opinion.

When I go to these conventions, the autographs and photo sessions are way down on my list. I could get those at other types of venues (Collectormania, Comic Con, Another Event, JM's specific events).

I like the talks about Torchwood with all the cast together, improvising and adding details that aren't always discussed in formal interviews. I feel that I've read tons of interviews from both JM and Freema about their time on the Torchwood set. I want to hear the inside information about series 3. Not series 2, which, IMHO, has been talked about to death.

Edited by kerryblaze

I didn't say that anyone wasn't welcome or that there were rules. I just gave my opinion.

When I go to these conventions, the autographs and photo sessions are way down on my list. I could get those at other types of venues.

I like the talks about Torchwood. I feel that I've read tons of interviews from both JM and Freema about their time on the Torchwood set. I want to hear the inside information about series 3. Not series 2, which, IMHO, has been talked about to death.

I totally agree with all of this. I'm going to be so anxious to hear from the cast about that series that if I were forced to choose between having new guests (including Euros Lyn, whom I would dearly love to meet) and having all the main cast there, all of whom I've met, I'd choose the latter without a second thought. That said, I trust that we will still get a mix of old and new. :)

Edited by Blackbird

I agree with the 2nd post above. Moreover, just because I couldn't attend the first Hub hopefully does not prevent me from meeting Naoko, even though she won't be in season 3.

I couldn't go to the first Hub either and really really want to meet Naoko! (she's walked into me once but I didn't really get a chance to meet her properly)

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree, too. I agree with kerryblaze; As the con will be post-Series 3, I would love to see AT LEAST all the main cast of that series there. It will be great for them to be able to freely discuss series 3 and the future of TW beyond it.

Also "new" is a matter of perspective. If you're someone that has been lucky enough to attend both Hub 1 & Hub 2 and other events with TW guests, then obviously people like Gareth & Kai are not "new" guests for you.

BUT, and it's a big BUT, there will undoubtedly be people at the Hub 3 who weren't lucky enough to go to the previous cons and may well have NEVER been to an event with any Torchwood guests in attendance. And I'm sure those people (as well as others who HAVE met GDL & Kai before) would love to have the chance to meet main cast members, regardless of how many cons/events the guest has been to before.

I was at the Hub 2 but not the Hub 1 and I already have my ticket for the Hub 3. Having missed the first one I am obviously very excited about JB being at the next one, but I have to say, if it turned out to be just JB and a lot of new 'minor' characters I will be very disappointed. The only reason I decided to attend the Hub 2 was because GDL was going to be there, and I would love to see him back, along with Kai, Eve, Tom, etc.

No disrespect to any of the actors/actresses, but personally I'm paying to go to this con primarily because I want to meet MAIN cast members (as well as people like RTD). I am not paying £195 to meet people that have been in one or two episodes. Sorry, but it's the truth.

Having said that, that doesn't mean I think non-main cast members can't be good guests - Matt Rippy is a fine example of this. He was a firm favourite of mine (and many others) at the Hub 2 and I would love to see him back, too.

Personally, I'm not that bothered about meeting Freema. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind meeting her, but if it came down to a choice I would definitely pick GDL, Kai, Eve, Burn, RTD, Naoko, James Masters, Tom Price, Anthony Lewis, Ruth Jones and Matt Rippy over Freema. So, yeah, she's not high on my list of priorities.

Anyway, I'm not saying new = bad. But nor does new = good, and I don't think it's fair to say "We need new people" based on your own personal experiences. To some people John is "new" or Gareth or Kai... etc... etc...

So... yes, new guests would be good (especially some from series 3 that we have yet to be introduced to) but NOT at the expense of firm favourites or main cast members. Well... not in my opinion, at least.

Edited by Scar

I agree with the 2nd post above. Moreover, just because I couldn't attend the first Hub hopefully does not prevent me from meeting Naoko, even though she won't be in season 3.

I couldn't go to the first Hub either and really really want to meet Naoko! (she's walked into me once but I didn't really get a chance to meet her properly)

Also didn't get to go to the first Hub. Meeting Naoko would be a dream.

I respectfully disagree.

I'm not against having a mix of guests - Naoki for instance has only been once before, but when you go to a convention like this its nicer meeting new people - I've met Gareth about 5 times now and as great as he is, new guests would be better - such as guests from series 3.

As to your other point, Freema is as much part of Torchwood as Suzie and Alan Dale. I'm sure if they turned up you would still want to meet them.

Freema for the Hub!!!! :D

Edited by reddragon

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree, too. I agree with kerryblaze; As the con will be post-Series 3, I would love to see AT LEAST all the main cast of that series there. It will be great for them to be able to freely discuss series 3 and the future of TW beyond it.

Also "new" is a matter of perspective. If you're someone that has been lucky enough to attend both Hub 1 & Hub 2 and other events with TW guests, then obviously people like Gareth & Kai are not "new" guests for you.

BUT, and it's a big BUT, there will undoubtedly be people at the Hub 3 who weren't lucky enough to go to the previous cons and may well have NEVER been to an event with any Torchwood guests in attendance. And I'm sure those people (as well as others who HAVE met GDL & Kai before) would love to have the chance to meet main cast members, regardless of how many cons/events the guest has been to before.

Yis, exactly! And the main cast will surely sell more tickets and thereby give us a better chance of getting other guests alongside them and perhaps more for Hub 4. I will also be very disappointed if we only get JB, as much as I adore him. It seems only right that the core cast of S3 are there to discuss CoE, and if we can get Burn and Naoko too that would be great because I would love to hear what they think of the new series.

Who knows, after S3 airs, there might be a whole batch of new fans who will be attracted by an event with John, Gareth and Eve all under the same roof. Long live Torchwood. :D

As to your other point, Freema is as much part of Torchwood as Suzie and Alan Dale. I'm sure if they turned up you would still want to meet them.

Sure, if they were there, I'd meet them, but I would still rather have Tom, Kai, Eve, or Gareth there.

I'm the kind of person that just love guests who TALK! Especially if they have an excellent sense of humor. When I'm peeing in my pants from laughing, thats awesome. That makes me want to come back and spend the $2K EVERY.TIME! lol!!

Matt Rippy and Tom Price were GOLDEN @ Hub2. John was AMAZING, as always, @ Hub1. And Kai and Gareth will always be fab. But I was plesantly surprised w/ Matt and Tom. I would love for them to come back, ESPECIALLY since John will be there! It'd be a cornucopia of hilarity... XD!!!

I would love to meet Freema, RTD and Murray Gold, though...whether or not they do talk. heh!!

Edited by DLGR

Here's another wanting Freema! She has done the TV and the radio versions of Torchwood so she deserves to be treated as a viable cast member - even more so than say Indira Varma (who I ALSO want to meet) but Martha as a character is someone that spans two series Torchwood and Doctor Who and thus is of WAY more interest to me and I feel that if I don't say we want her then people will say "nobody said they wanted Freema" so here I am!

On a purely personal - and I do mean personal - level, I would prefer not to have Freema there. And yes, I know she was on Torchwood (which I wasn't too happy about, as I didn't see the necessity) but she is too identified with Dr Who. John has managed to successfully evolve Jack away from the DW universe, but Martha is still too much the Doctor's Companion.

I would love to see Suzie, if only because her brief tenure on the series was so pivotal. For a character that was only in two episodes, her actions had tremendous knock-on potential. I'm not sure the actress would want to attend, though. Poor Siobhan and Roderick were a little shellshocked by their experience, although Siobhan seemed to recover more quickly and responded beautifully.

To be blunt, some of the guest-stars simply wouldn't interest me. As of this moment, I am going to Hub 3 purely on the strength that John will be there, and a hope that some of the regulars will be back. Kai did call out 'see you next time' so I'm keeping my fingers crossed! Besides, there's something really wonderful about going back to an event where you can greet the stars guesting as old friends! And some people will be coming to the Hub for the first time. Do you think they'll appreciate having one star and a few one-shot guest-stars? THAT won't be very good value for their money, will it? If people are tired of seeing the same people, why not give it a miss for once?

Although the autographs and photo opportunities are a lovely bonus, it's the talks I revel in, and that's where a guest can win or lose with me. Matt Ripley, curse his eyes, gave such wonderful talks that I ended up loving him, despite hissing at the very sound of 'the real Captain Jack Harkness'.

The established guests, bless them, know what we want and often - shamelessly - pander to us. New guests can take a while to get into the spirit of things and may never get there at all. I could tell you horror stories about guests who were just plain rude or even hurtful to the fans who had come to see them. We have some solid magic going on with the Hub mix, something I've never seen before. I'd really like to see it continue.

On a purely personal - and I do mean personal - level, I would prefer not to have Freema there. And yes, I know she was on Torchwood (which I wasn't too happy about, as I didn't see the necessity) but she is too identified with Dr Who. John has managed to successfully evolve Jack away from the DW universe, but Martha is still too much the Doctor's Companion.

I would love to see Suzie, if only because her brief tenure on the series was so pivotal. For a character that was only in two episodes, her actions had tremendous knock-on potential. I'm not sure the actress would want to attend, though. Poor Siobhan and Roderick were a little shellshocked by their experience, although Siobhan seemed to recover more quickly and responded beautifully.

To be blunt, some of the guest-stars simply wouldn't interest me. As of this moment, I am going to Hub 3 purely on the strength that John will be there, and a hope that some of the regulars will be back. Kai did call out 'see you next time' so I'm keeping my fingers crossed! Besides, there's something really wonderful about going back to an event where you can greet the stars guesting as old friends! And some people will be coming to the Hub for the first time. Do you think they'll appreciate having one star and a few one-shot guest-stars? THAT won't be very good value for their money, will it? If people are tired of seeing the same people, why not give it a miss for once?

Although the autographs and photo opportunities are a lovely bonus, it's the talks I revel in, and that's where a guest can win or lose with me. Matt Ripley, curse his eyes, gave such wonderful talks that I ended up loving him, despite hissing at the very sound of 'the real Captain Jack Harkness'.

The established guests, bless them, know what we want and often - shamelessly - pander to us. New guests can take a while to get into the spirit of things and may never get there at all. I could tell you horror stories about guests who were just plain rude or even hurtful to the fans who had come to see them. We have some solid magic going on with the Hub mix, something I've never seen before. I'd really like to see it continue.

And thats your opinion. I come to Hub events because I like the whole atmosphere of the convention. Freema would be the ideal guest as far as Im concerned - I have enjoyed having the main cast at the last 2 events but to me its the guest stars now that are persuading me to go or not to go to an event.

Daniella Denby Ashe is the draw for me at this event - and thats my opinion. :D

• Moderators
The established guests, bless them, know what we want and often - shamelessly - pander to us. New guests can take a while to get into the spirit of things and may never get there at all.

And having a decent mix of established guests along with a few new ones definitely seems to help the new guests 'get it'. I was only at Hub2 (couldn't make Hub 1 as it clashed with a charity event I'd committed to) and the majority of the newbies figured it out pretty quickly as they bounced off the established guests.

Personally I would prefer a mix of new and old guests. I'm absolutely delighted about Daniela Denby Ashe being announced and Ive love to see some Children of Earth guests such as Peter Capaldi and Liz May Brice. But given as others have said that the convention will be post Children of Earth I would love to have the opportunity to talk to the cast freely about the series.

I've now met the whole Torchwood cast and indeed have met many of teh guest stars including Indira Varma at stage doors but just because I've met them doesn't mean that other people have been lucky enough to have the same opportunity and would be absolutely delighted to see the likes of Kai, Tom and Gareth again.

As for Freema - well Martha's appearance in Torchwood was rather divisive - either you loved her in the show or you felt her appearance was shoe horned in. I'm in the later category so whilst I'd love to meet her at a Doctor Who event there are other Torchwood guests I would much prefer to meet. I think a nice balance of old and new works very well - it would be a real shame for people like Kai and Gareth not to be there.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I would prefer a mix of new and old guests. I'm absolutely delighted about Daniela Denby Ashe being announced and Ive love to see some Children of Earth guests such as Peter Capaldi and Liz May Brice. But given as others have said that the convention will be post Children of Earth I would love to have the opportunity to talk to the cast freely about the series.

I've now met the whole Torchwood cast and indeed have met many of teh guest stars including Indira Varma at stage doors but just because I've met them doesn't mean that other people have been lucky enough to have the same opportunity and would be absolutely delighted to see the likes of Kai, Tom and Gareth again.

As for Freema - well Martha's appearance in Torchwood was rather divisive - either you loved her in the show or you felt her appearance was shoe horned in. I'm in the later category so whilst I'd love to meet her at a Doctor Who event there are other Torchwood guests I would much prefer to meet. I think a nice balance of old and new works very well - it would be a real shame for people like Kai and Gareth not to be there.

This is my first post so don't know if I'm doing it right :headscratch: I'm sure I'll be happy with all the guests, old and new cos ME do such a brilliant job. But PLEASE can we have Bryan Dick if possible. He would be brilliant :P He's probably really busy though.