Foods at con?

nightshadewolf

I just wondered, it's probably been answered already but whats going on with food?

I know that the hotel rooms sometimes include breakfast if you pay extra but the events span the whole day so whats going on with lunches? Silly question but I need to know if I have to bring food with me.

Any clues?

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Depending on what you booked room-wise, breakfast might be included. I know it was when I stayed in the Park Inn last event.

As for anything else, that's your responsibility to purchase whatever you want really. There's a bar and restaurant within the hotel, or the town centre a couple of minutes walk away with a lot of pubs, takeaways, supermarkets etc. So there's no real issue with availability.

• Moderators

Haha yeah, there should be kettles there! :D

I'd suggest buying some snacks from the supermarket or whatever, keep some stuff in your room, and just have something every now and then. Keep your energy up if you intend on attending everything!

i paid £200 near enough for the ticket, damn right i'm attending everything XD

i can live on noodles and cereal bars quite happily, i think i'll cope :P

Your not the only one who'll be living off noodles for 3 days :cylon:

Aha. I'm sure we'll all cope fine :)

Although we'll probably be put of eating noodles for the rest of our lives. Haa. :P

xxx

• Showmasters Admin

The stars need to eat too!!! Lol!!

There is a lunch break when the guests go off for their lunch, giving everyone the chance to rush off and grab some eats!

Literally just outside the hotel car-park (in one direction) there is a subway, a wetherspoons, and several other typical food places to grab a bite, we're right in the centre of town so you hardly have to walk anywhere for food.

Of course the bar also offers a selection of snacks which are worth checking out, I can remember seeing wings and things on their menu.

And then there will also be a break between the day-time activities and the parties at night. The auction on Saturday tends to finish about 6pm-6.30ish and then that's when the guests go off for the meal (the one that you can win via competition or auction) and there's time for everyone to go off and get some more eats then too!

There are several restaurants in the area and if you ask at reception they'd most likely be happy to help direct you to one! There's a nice little Italian, and a Chinese all-you-can-eat Buffet over next to the Ibis, and as mentioned a Wetherspoons and various other pubs in the main square area. The hotel also does quite a nice buffet at an affordable price and at the last event the food qas quite nice, :)

Believe me, I could NOT last all weekend on noodles!!! :cylon: I need my food supply! At least there is plenty of choice all around!

Of course in saying that - the breakfast at the park inn is amazing! I always make sure that I don't miss out on it as it's lovely!

Okay, my excitement over the food is done now. :P

SJ

xox

haha, I can happily live off noodles for some nights, I'm dieting like crazy and exercising before the con so I don't want to go out every night and put it all back on XD

I spent a month living off peanut butter sandwiches when I was really stuck for cash so noodles is a step up.

I might go out for dinner one night so long as I'm not the poor idiot stuck with the bill, lol!

Oh yeah, you know the auction? What the hey are they auctioning?

in order of distance from hotel the furthest away is kfc which no longer than a 5 minute walk,

subway

a cafe

wetherspoons

pumpernickels sandwich shop and jacket potatoes etc

mcdonalds x2 (one on high street one in shopping centre)

a number of burger places in market square

burger king

kfc

in the opposite direction is

dominos,

a couple of curry places which names have gone from my head

and pizza hut

also in the shopping centre (less than 2 minute walk) is a sainsburys, boots, superdrug and a bagel shop (which is lovely btw),

there is also a couple of bakers and gregs too you are pretty much spoilt for coice,

if you are worried about time at the torchwood con i managed to take my daughter home (15 mins away) drop her with my parents , drive back to town, park up walk to mcdonalds, eat in mcdonalds, go get some pain killers and a drink from boots then went back to the hotel and was still there long before the doors even opened for the talks,

i did the same process in the evening plus getting changed for party and again was there in plenty of time even fit in a few games of pool you don't need to worry too much

as fo rthe auctions it is usually various thinsg relating to the movie so photos (signed and unsigned) , t shirts, posters special things they have made for the event and of course the meal with the stars but every auction is different depending on what they have to give away but thats the general stuff

Depending on what you booked room-wise, breakfast might be included. I know it was when I stayed in the Park Inn last event.

As for anything else, that's your responsibility to purchase whatever you want really. There's a bar and restaurant within the hotel, or the town centre a couple of minutes walk away with a lot of pubs, takeaways, supermarkets etc. So there's no real issue with availability.

I'll never forget that pasta we had at Eclipse 1 though :headscratch:

I've just remembered having a breakdown at Eclipse 2 and needing to drink all the orange juice that the restaurant could provide lol. I loved that breakfast :firedevil:

• Showmasters Admin

The hotel food is fine. The bar does food for between £3 and £10. then there is the restaruant which does both lunch and dinner.

As others have said there are plently of places only 5 minutes walk away.

And you do get time to eat. At some weekend cons even WE'VE got to sit down and eat, which never happens at the big signing events.

You will not go hungry.

Then there's the big argument though, should we waste our money on food or save it for the merchandise? Lol!

Thats why you buy pot noodles and take them with you! I always do that when im staying over for a con, since i dont like spending any extra money on food XD

• Showmasters Admin

Then there's the big argument though, should we waste our money on food or save it for the merchandise? Lol!

I like food too much :D

Also at my size if I don't eat properly I soon run out of steam, and doing that whilst looking after 30 crew and running a con for 800 people is not a good thing.

Edited by Too Tall

• Showmasters Admin

I like food too much :D

Also at my size if I don't eat properly I soon run out of steam, and doing that whilst looking after 30 crew and running a con for 800 people is not a good thing.

That's why all the crew ensure you have a milk supply handy, to keep you running!!! ;)

I'm only ickle and I need my food!! Heh.

SJ

xox

I saw the words "Wings" and "Chinese" in one post and now i want oriental food dammit! hahaha

i could NEVER live on noodles for the 3/4 days. no way, hosey! lol besides, i dont really eat them lol

do you realise how many empty calories are in pot noodles???? seriously, not worth the effort.

lol

anyways... i'm glad everythings within a 5minute walk, cos *ehem* i'm not a fan of long distant walking... i think 10mins is my max.(when i can't be bothered or when im hungry. i can walk loads more if i feel upto it) usually people say "oh its just 10minutes down the road" and we find out its actually 20minutes, cos i dunno how fast they walk, but i'm not walking on a treadmill at top speed! haha

ooooh i cant remember if i read it or not... but THERE BETTER BE A STARBUCKS WITHIN A 100YARDS OF THE BUILDING! lol :D

ooh not long to go! yay

Edited by Edwardsbackupgirl

I saw the words "Wings" and "Chinese" in one post and now i want oriental food dammit! hahaha

Me too. Might get a takeaway for dinner :(

ooooh i cant remember if i read it or not... but THERE BETTER BE A STARBUCKS WITHIN A 100YARDS OF THE BUILDING! lol :P

Now you're talking. Timpe and I need our vanilla lattes.

A Tru-Free Rice & Lentil Quick Snack is a much tastier option than Pot Noodle.

If I'm staying at home for the con and travelling up each day (not sure yet), then I'll be taking a giant rucksack or something with my party outfit, makeup, books and food in it :P Yaaaay for living on cereal bars and snacks!

No spending money on food for me, all "borrowed" from mum and dads kitchen :(