More Events in Other Parts of the UK

Tanith

First off I appreciate everything that Showmasters does it truly is commendable. But the bulk of events are in England which is a bit unfair to those in Scotland, Wales and Ireland.

I am grateful that Scotland has at least one event but to be honest it is not really my cup of tea as I have never seen any of the cast members from the shows that I am interested in. For example when was the last time you seen a member of the main cast of Stargate, Lost or Heroes at Glasgow. It does not feel like the Glasgow event ever gets any of the big stars that the events in England have.

I noticed that there's already a topic about an event in Wales so I wont get into that but in my opinion events in general could be split out more evenly throughout the different parts of the UK.

Yes the Glasgow event has not had the guests you have said but its only just over 1 year old its still early. I think the the main guests From the shows such as Stargate and Heroes tend to think of the UK then think London. So getting US guests over its easyer to fly into London hence alot of shows based down in Engalnd. Not so easy for International flights into Wales i dont think. Plus Showmasters are based in Milton K. Am from Scotland and the way i look at it if you like a guest you will travel to meet them. (will i know i do)

If you look at the guest line up that Collectormania MK had when that first started out, it was much in line with how Glasgow is going now. Bigger guests will come in time I am sure when the event get bigger.

One other thing to take into account, it is a lot cheaper for people coming from out side the UK to get to England events (London) as flight and so on are cheaper. Also why they pull a bigger audience.

After going to conventions and signing event over the last 10 years, traditionally Scottish event have never done that well, I know of three companies that have tried and failed. Showmasters seem to be the only one willing to build the event over time which the others did not, so I think, just wait and you will see the event go and get bigger.

• Moderators

Hopefully this doesn't come across as rude, as I don't mean for it to be, but Showmasters don't run events in areas to be 'fair' to anyone. There are many reasons why an area is chosen, and if eventually they decide that it is financially viable to run in Ireland or Wales then I'm sure they will.

Milton Keynes is the local event for them, and they have so many contacts and local knowledge etc that it's sensible for them to keep one of the big events there. Logistics also play a huge part in it. London is pretty much a no-brainer too.

They're obviously willing to try new locations, but only if it's going to be a sensible move for them, not just because it's fair on the local fans there. It's not really a business that can be run based on 'fairness' as such, or else you'll get people from all over the world asking why SMs don't run events in their local place!

As for Glasgow, do be patient. It's not the ideal time to be throwing money around everywhere and putting everything into an event that hasn't proven itself compared to others.

And a final note - even if there were events in other places, it doesn't guarantee there'll be guests that someone will personally be interested in, so I'd always suggest just trying to travel to the ones that do appeal. I'm sure it's worth saving up to do that.

After going to conventions and signing event over the last 10 years, traditionally Scottish event have never done that well, I know of three companies that have tried and failed. Showmasters seem to be the only one willing to build the event over time which the others did not, so I think, just wait and you will see the event go and get bigger.

Ye I went to a few conventions in Glasgow in the past but they were nothing great. I did not realise that Showmasters only rather recently started the event in Glasgow and had nothing to do with the ones that I had been to a few years ago. Its just that the guests lineups from the ones I went to a few years ago are similar in popularity to the ones that Glasgow has had recently. I hope that you are right and it will get bigger over time.

I apologise if this topic sounded a bit offensive.

Edited by Tanith

Hopefully this doesn't come across as rude, as I don't mean for it to be, but Showmasters don't run events in areas to be 'fair' to anyone. There are many reasons why an area is chosen, and if eventually they decide that it is financially viable to run in Ireland or Wales then I'm sure they will.

Exactly. SM are an England based company. They don't even have to have one event in Scotland if they don't want to! The biggest American company has has one show over here in the past few years. The company in Germany only has shows there. Why not England? Because they're German.... Just like SM are English, they don't have to go anywhere they don't want to....

Its all good to suggest other places, but don't say it like SM are being unfair only mainly having shows in England...

Exactly. SM are an England based company. They don't even have to have one event in Scotland if they don't want to! The biggest American company has has one show over here in the past few years. The company in Germany only has shows there. Why not England? Because they're German.... Just like SM are English, they don't have to go anywhere they don't want to....

But Scotland, Wales and Ireland like England are all part of The UK. So comes down to it would SM class themselves as an English based company or a British based company.

Edited by Tanith

Go by that reckoning and Germany are part of Europe and should therefore have shows in France....

I say I'm English... not automatically also Welsh and Irish... Takes a lot to travel to another country that you're not native to... let alone run a show from there!!!

But The United Kingdom as a whole is a country. So unless some parts of the UK got independence very recently your still in the same country no matter if your in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

Edited by Tanith

Just because Showmasters are based in Britain doesn't mean they need to run events all over Britain. Do American organisers run events in every single State? No; they run them in the ones where they can get dates, venues, guests, and think they can get attendees.

If Showmasters think running an event in a certain part of the country will be viable, then they will do it. If they don't think it will be viable, then they won't. That's the same as every other organiser in the world.

No, the UK is a KINGDOM... not a country. United Kingdom is countries united together... England is a Country... Scotland is a country. The UK is not a country, it is a Kingdom. Who cares what it was years/ decades/ centuries back... this is what it is now, and we are living here now.

Like in the US, you wouldn't say that Florida and New York are the same state exactly, would you?

Yes, it would be nice for others to have more shows, but SM don't HAVE to do anything. You're in Scotland- what if someone said to you "you have to buy your clothes from Wales because you're being unfair to them not going there". Just doesn't make sense...

SM will do whatever is financially viable to them. They're not being unfair to anyone. They're just people like the rest of us... they don't ever HAVE to do ANY of the shows they are doing now! As with many past organisers, they could just say "enough" at any time and stop running the shows.

No, the UK is a KINGDOM... not a country. United Kingdom is countries united together... England is a Country... Scotland is a country. The UK is not a country, it is a Kingdom. Who cares what it was years/ decades/ centuries back... this is what it is now, and we are living here now.

Like in the US, you wouldn't say that Florida and New York are the same state exactly, would you?

Yes, it would be nice for others to have more shows, but SM don't HAVE to do anything. You're in Scotland- what if someone said to you "you have to buy your clothes from Wales because you're being unfair to them not going there". Just doesn't make sense...

SM will do whatever is financially viable to them. They're not being unfair to anyone. They're just people like the rest of us... they don't ever HAVE to do ANY of the shows they are doing now! As with many past organisers, they could just say "enough" at any time and stop running the shows.

Your going a little over the top aren't you. All that is being said is that it would be nice to have a variety of shows around the country or Kingdom as you have put it.

Scotland now has a show in Glasgow.

Wikipedia article on Great Briton agrees with me btw: "It lies to the northwest of Continental Europe, with Ireland to the west, and makes up the largest part of the territory of the country known as the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland"

Okay I think that's enough debating on geography lol

Edited by Tanith

Going back onto topic for a bit. In the past Glasgow has seen the likes or Kevin Sorbo, Michael Shanks, some of the cast from Serenity at "Conventions" based event, and then with smaller guest at the old signing event. Speaking to the convention companies that ran these they all pointed out that most of the people that booked for these event where not from Glasgow or Scotland and that most of them came from the England.

I think Showmasters are taking the right direction in what they are doing, getting small to mid level guests in to build up the brand and let people know that the event is that much like they did with MK and then bring in big stars.

Wikipedia article on Great Briton agrees with me btw: "It lies to the northwest of Continental Europe, with Ireland to the west, and makes up the largest part of the territory of the country known as the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland"

Okay I think that's enough debating on geography lol

Speaking as a teacher I would advise you that Wikipedia is an unreliable source. If my students quote from it they get marked down as many of the alleged facts on the site are unverifiable.