very important news on this years LFCC

showmasters

Well this obviously isn't what you're going to want to hear. I do come along to your events and get the autographs and meet the guests I want. But I cannot see what you've said here about "breaking the event through to the next level" as a good thing. If you succeeded that would mean more guests, which would mean people who I couldn't afford to get autographs from. You already see repeated comments from attendees on the forums about how the existing guest line-ups already stretch their finances. While more guests sounds good in principle, in practice it won't mean I'd see more people just I'll have known they were there without being able to see them. That strikes me as a bad thing, not a good thing.

More guests would also mean longer queues so I might not even be able to get to see guests I could afford. Also not a good thing.

I hope these plans don't go ahead.

Then you decide who you want to get, plan ahead to get there early enough to get your VT so that you can meet them. Am I being too sensible there?

If your finances can't stretch to the ones you want, then you have to choose. Its a harsh fact of life.

I'm perfectly capable of doing that but I still don't want the events to get larger. That's my choice and, to be honest, I object to your sarcasm. Showmasters asked for my support and I explained to them why I disapprove of their plans. If you want more guests that's fine I don't object to you getting what you want. Just not for me.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this obviously isn't what you're going to want to hear. I do come along to your events and get the autographs and meet the guests I want. But I cannot see what you've said here about "breaking the event through to the next level" as a good thing. If you succeeded that would mean more guests, which would mean people who I couldn't afford to get autographs from. You already see repeated comments from attendees on the forums about how the existing guest line-ups already stretch their finances. While more guests sounds good in principle, in practice it won't mean I'd see more people just I'll have known they were there without being able to see them. That strikes me as a bad thing, not a good thing.

More guests would also mean longer queues so I might not even be able to get to see guests I could afford. Also not a good thing.

I hope these plans don't go ahead.

first dave, you spend more on autos than most people i know, i do not see you not buying an auto of someone you want because you do not have enough money. you fly to the states just to meet someone you have not meet so for you it must be much cheeper to meet them here ?

Next if there were bigger names why would that cost more than what we charge now ?

Patrick Stuart is an A list guest and is £25 an auto which is fare

why would most other guest not be the same price ? sorry i do not know were you are coming from on this Dave

Next, if there are to many guests for you to get then the same must go for other fans ? ok then this works out well because you will have to pick who you really want to meet and leave the ones you are not bothered about and get them next time, if you care

but this leaves other fans the chance to meet the guests, as you will all not want to meet the same people if there were 10 or 15 A list guests

very few people come to a show to buy autos from all the guests, most buy 2 to 6 autos at most. thats why the shows work so well, the more guests we have the more fans come to the event and meet the 2 to 6 guests that they want to meet. this will works well for most fans.

the only people it will effect are the people that want everyones auto, which is a very small number of people

it's funny that it's those fans who are normally the first to say very early on when we start to promote a show that there are no good names

we cannot please all of the people all the time, but we can give people the chance to meet some great guests. And sometimes as with Pat Morita and several other cases, its the only time you have the chance to meet some of them

I would rather try to get the most amazing guests I can and then people can have a choice, rather than never trying to get them and one day they are no longer around like Roy Scheider (who we worked on getting for four years without any luck). someone i want to meet so much

so sorry Dave, I really do not agree with you on this

see you soon

Jason :WAVE:

I didn't expect you to agree with me. I was simply putting forward my viewpoint. As for my trips to US conventions I do tend to limit that to two or so per year and in reality they work out cheaper than UK events even including airfare and hotel bills. The US events don't have to recover the extortionate transatlantic airfares so autographs tend to be much cheaper. When I work out what I'd spend for equivalent autographs at, for example, LFCC, I find I've normally saved money and had a US trip thrown in.

Then again that logic probably only works because I'm getting quite a few autographs. If I only wanted two or three autos per guest I guess US trips would be more expensive.

If your comment about complaints regarding guest names was directed at me. Then I'd like to point out I've never complained about the guest line up at any event. Yours or anyone else's. If events don't offer things I want to see then I simply don't go, I've never blamed convention organisers for who they could or couldn't get to agree to attend.

Incidentally if you are still looking into Roy Scheider then a few names I'd be interested in meeting are Peter Cushing, William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton. I think they're all based (buried?) here. De Forest Kelly (who's the only main cast member from any of the five Trek series I've not met in person) from Star Trek would be good too.

Edited by DavidSimons

Incidentally if you are still looking into Roy Scheider then a few names I'd be interested in meeting are Peter Cushing, William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton. I think they're all based (buried?) here. De Forest Kelly (who's the only main cast member from any of the five Trek series I've not met in person) from Star Trek would be good too.

Thats awful for you to joke about that!! Jason was saying he does his best to try and get guests- and Roy was someone he tried to get but he died before he could get to a show, and its a shame. Ur making jokes about bringing dead actors to a show- bad taste there :WAVE:

Edited by Lizzy

• Moderators

Thats awful for you to joke about that!! Jason was saying he does his best to try and get guests- and Roy was someone he tried to get but he died before he could get to a show, and its a shame. Ur making jokes about bringing dead actors to a show- bad taste there :WAVE:

Let's be fair - Showmasters did announce John Candy once .. guess it depends on your sense of humour ..

That isn't even remotely funny.

You say you've never complained about a guest line up but your whole argument was about the events getting bigger. Kind of the same thing really

That isn't even remotely funny.

If there was a sweepstake in the other thread, I think nicky would just have won it...

http://showmastersonline.com/forums/index....t&p=1198168

:wub:

• Showmasters Admin

I didn't expect you to agree with me. I was simply putting forward my viewpoint. As for my trips to US conventions I do tend to limit that to two or so per year and in reality they work out cheaper than UK events even including airfare and hotel bills. The US events don't have to recover the extortionate transatlantic airfares so autographs tend to be much cheaper. When I work out what I'd spend for equivalent autographs at, for example, LFCC, I find I've normally saved money and had a US trip thrown in.

Then again that logic probably only works because I'm getting quite a few autographs. If I only wanted two or three autos per guest I guess US trips would be more expensive.

If your comment about complaints regarding guest names was directed at me. Then I'd like to point out I've never complained about the guest line up at any event. Yours or anyone else's. If events don't offer things I want to see then I simply don't go, I've never blamed convention organisers for who they could or couldn't get to agree to attend.

well i do not think that is quite right about it being cheeper ?

the main US promotor of Trek events the minimum charges are

$35 each day = $70 for the con + $7.25 p&p =£40 =£35 more

as opposed to £5 entry or free for MK

autos are extra but are priced at

JOLENE BLALOCK $65 = £33 were we would be £20 =£13 more

AVERY BROOKS $60 = £30 were we would be £20 =£10 more

DOMINIC KEATING$25 = £13 were we would be £15 =£ 2 less

BARBARA MARCH $20 = £10 were we would be £15 =£ 5 less

the US con photo ops are priced at this

MALCOLM MCDOWELL $65 =£33 were we would be £20 =£13 more

DOMINIC KEATING $45 =£23 were we would be £15 =£ 8 more

AVERY BROOKS $60 =£30 were we would be £20 =£10 more

so in fact photo ops and autos are on the hole more expensive

then we have flights to the us which now run at around £500 now that fuel has gone up =£500

then you have car hire or taxis in the us ether way it will be around $150 minimum =£75

then you have hotel something ok to nice in the US $89 a night fri,sat,sun fly out mon =$267 =£140

then insrance $50 =£25

as opposed to £15 train or £25 fuel to travel to an event in the UK

so to get photo ops and autos from the above would cost you from a con in the us =£947.00

were as if you were to buy them at one of our events it would cost the total of =£155.00

so i am sorry mate your maths do not work out :blush:

i think you just wanted to make us look expensive when infact i think it shows we are very fair when you think a busniss class flight now costs £3000 and a 1st class flight costs £6000 to £8000 as very few guests fly economy :P

Add that we get guests that no other event gets any were else IN THE WORLD and meeting a guest you want to meet that you can not see any were else is priceless and thats something i think we can both agree on Dave ;)

well i must go to bed now i have to work this week end and next see you soon Dave :YAHOO:

Jason

ps Lizzy do not take it to hart about the dead guests,i have know Dave for years when he used to run events and he is a twisted and dark man :D

but is mostly harmless mostly :D

Actually, I worked out to do that con properly, plus get a decent amount of autos etc, and hotel, flights etc, would be a few thousand... and I'd never go alone lol. Maybe one day when I'm mega rich!! :blush:

And lol I've noticed lots of people on here are twisted and dark heh :YAHOO:

JOLENE BLALOCK $65 = £33 were we would be £20 =£13 more

AVERY BROOKS $60 = £30 were we would be £20 =£10 more

DOMINIC KEATING$25 = £13 were we would be £15 =£ 2 less

BARBARA MARCH $20 = £10 were we would be £15 =£ 5 less

And don't forget Patrick Stewart, the US promoter charged £45 for his autograph :coolthumb: - £20 more

And don't forget Patrick Stewart, the US promoter charged £45 for his autograph :coolthumb: - £20 more

Also the $ 7.25 handling charge Jason mentioned for the ticket is applied to every item when pre-ordered. And they don't give you photos to get signed for free either, you have to either buy something for $ 6 or bring your own item.

Claudia Black is £ 15 more expensive with them as well. So it isn't only Trek guests.