FRANK OZ AND OR MARK HAMILL

Yodas'stuntman

As you probably know Frank Oz has stated that he will never attend a signing event. There's more of a chance of getting Mark Hamill but I doubt it will be for a while as he was at Star Wars Celebration Europe. It was great to see one of my childhood hero's for real. Lets hope he does come back over soon.

www.geocities.com/empirecostumegroup

Edited by Empire Costume Group

sorry guys, but mark said after star wars gig he will never do a signing again because he was upset to see so many people that didnt get to see him due to timing ect.... but i have to say it was the best £85 i have ever spent and also the most expensive autograph ever! christopher lee's autographs are £75 and he is 10 times more popular.hhmmm

Shame if CE put him off doing signings in this country, though I can understand why. I am of the opinion that the mob that ran that show would have struggled to facilitate a mass orgy of drunken behaviour in a premises designed for the distillation of alcoholic beverages!

Met hamill at CE and was well worth the 4+ hour que and £170 for 2 autos...

guy was amazing..

have seen him twice before at events in the USA butnever got an auto... heas #103 in my Star wars book for autos and nothing can come close to it now... as Ford Oz Lucas and McDairmid dont sign very easily and I have all the others worth having

It wasn't CE that put him off - he just doesn't like signing events as I've mentioned before he would much rather spend time with fans and chat to them or do a talk than just sit and sign. Apparently he doesn't like people going away disappointed after their few seconds with him - it was Mark himself that insisted that everyone buying an auto got a photo too.

It was the security guards that caused the problems at CE plus alot of volunteers who had never done anything like this before so all went to lunch at the same time and legged it when things got out of hand.

I would also blame the people who started the separate queue that caused all of the problems!!

As for Frank Oz I think he still signs TTM but like McDiarmid won't ever do a show but unlike mcdiarmid will sign star wars stuff.

I would also blame the people who started the separate queue that caused all of the problems!!

That was the organsiers as well, forgetting they had already started an overflow queue, then adding queuejumpers to the main one.

It was the security guards that caused the problems at CE plus alot of volunteers who had never done anything like this before so all went to lunch at the same time and legged it when things got out of hand.

I hate to sidetrack a worthy thread but all of that was the responsibility of the show organisers. The arrangements should have been sorted with the centre security staff in advance and the volunteers should have been properly briefed. The sad fact was no one was willing to come out and talk to everyone and take some responsibility for the mess.

Sadly a certain long haired gentleman seemed happier issuing edicts from behind a curtain where he was able to avoid answering any questions from anyone.

yeah the Q's where a nightmare, it was all messed up, at one point they had the Q'ing in like a snake line over lapping each other, people having to be in the 1 oclock part and then the 2 oclock part and then 3 hours in the Q , then we where told not to talk to him for very long like a hi and bye.

but all of that said it was worth it and i possibly had the best 2 minutes of my life with my hero and couldnt belive i was standing their talking to LUKE SKYWALKER!

His comic Black Pearl is in the works for a movie!

I met Mark Hamill @ CE and it was well worth the wait, I was the second person to meet him on the first day I queued with Nicto who also posts on this forum. I got two autographs that day and @ that point the organisers/security was OK although the Lennox Lewis wannabe was out of control and barked at people taking photos from the side that wasn't in the queue.

Mark was fantastic well worth the wait it was that good I even went back on the second day to get another autograph!

His talk was fantastic as well probably one of the most entertaing I have ever attended!! Thinking about it I spent most of my first day waiting for Mr. Hamill and it was definitly worth as I can't see him doing another one in the near future!

I did email Dirk Maki after the event to let him know what the problems were at CE from a customer perspective (I did have a bit of a row with him on the day!). My main suggestion was that if Mark ever was to come back to the UK that they could try something were the crowds could be better controlled and the numbers more limited. That way it wouldn't have to be such a rush job with so much bad feeling generated.

I think a lot of the problem was they advertised Mark as only being there for 3 hours for the Friday and Saturday so people were naturally worried they weren't going to get a chance to meet him. Maki did say in his reply to me that he would have made sure that everyone who paid to meet Mark had the chance to do so. I just wonder if he'd said that on the day a lot of the arguments would have been avoided.

I suppose the point I would make is that unless SM were to do a special one off event unlike any of their other shows, the only event that would be suitable for someone of Mark's standing would be Autographica.

Just to cover a few points.

Frank Oz is a very private person and as said above, will never do a sit down signing. The really only chance you have of meeting him in-person is when he is promoting something and thats generally only in the US. About 95% of the through the mail successes are actually secretarial and he/she does a good job of his signature, but not enough to fool the experts.

Mark Hamill, as a rule, doesnt like to fly. Thats why he hasnt been over here since probably promoting Jedi. He wasnt just over here for CE, he was here trying to get finance for his Black Pearl movie and had arranged everything around CE so he could do both. So the next time he will be over here will probably be when Black Pearl is released or if its filmed here.

That's a shame about Frank not signing his own anymore - he always used to.

The queues at CE did get abit silly even the ones when we arrived on the friday morning - I was about 4th in the line having arrived at about 6:30 and then at about 8:30 they split the line into 2 so people that had queued for ages got in after those that had turned up later - not that it made a difference TBH but I would imagine that the saturday morning was worse (got there later due to stinking hangover).

I also had an arguement with Maki but he did answer all of my questions and queries honestly.

Mark would be welcome back anytime though - maybe empire weekend?? - 700 people maximum (I believe in that hotel) so would be more relaxed.