Question to the UK people

Is it better to book the bus tickets online instead of buying them once we arrive to the UK?

We will be taking the bus from the Luton Airport to Northampton. We were gonna buy them once we arrived but I just found out the tickets can be bought through the National Express website.

So what do you suggest?

Also, is it cheaper to book the return at the same time we book the travel to Northampton? I mean, should we book the travel back from Northampton to the airport at the same time?

Thanks in advance :D

i think you can buy the tickets when you arrive at the station but i think there slightly cheaper to book them in advance. plus you dont have to worry about not getting a seat etc.

they do open returns so u could always book one of those and then use any service 9it applies to) for your return. atleast u would have it booked, it generally saves u money to book a return rather than 2 singles.

hope that helps a bit :)

Yes, you will be okay to buy them on the station.

I always do that when I get into Heathrow from Germany, and for this bus service (National Express) I've never noticed booking in advance was cheaper.

Also, it's a little bit tight to book online now. I've had tickets within 3 days, but usually it takes 5 or even a week. You probably wouldn't get them in time if you book today.

Thanks for the suggestions people :) I was just worried we wouldn´t get a seat once we arrive as we are 4 (me and 3 friends) to take the bus.

Also, it's a little bit tight to book online now. I've had tickets within 3 days, but usually it takes 5 or even a week. You probably wouldn't get them in time if you book today.

I think I read they send you a confirmation email with the reservation number so we wouldn´t have to wait for the tickets to arrive, but maybe I understood it the wrong way.

If we have to wait for the tickets to arrive we won´t get them before leaving, most prob.

i think they will do like a text/e-ticket booking. i know ive dont one to london before, i booked it like an hour before i travelled and they txt me a ref number.

Yes, that´s what I thought I read on the website :D

Edited by KarenRoss

I think I read they send you a confirmation email with the reservation number so we wouldn´t have to wait for the tickets to arrive, but maybe I understood it the wrong way.

If we have to wait for the tickets to arrive we won´t get them before leaving, most prob.

I'm not sure if the next message thing will work for foreign bookings. It is an option on the website, that's right. I tried before with my German mobile number and it did not work.

Otherwise they will send you a confirmation e-mail, but you would receive physical tickets in the mail. (Last time I did this was about 2 years ago, so this info may not be accurate anymore).

As far as I know the e-mail confirmation is not valid as ticket. I think that's stated in the terms & conditions, but I am not 100 percent positive.

I only remember that there was a discussion between the bus driver and somebody who only had the e-mail printed when I got in for C12. But I honestly do not recall if that guy got on the bus or not.

Edited by Queen_Sindel

Okay, I take everything back then.

That shows how much things can change. :smile:

Yep, there's a specific kind of e-ticket now - though still, your confirmation email isn't valid as a ticket. If you select e-ticket as your option they email you a booking ref and security code, and then you go to the ticket page (the link would also be in the email), put the booking ref/passcode in, and THEN it'll give you a page to print out. If you try and turn up with just the email you won't be allowed on.

That shows how much things can change. :D

Yep, there's a specific kind of e-ticket now - though still, your confirmation email isn't valid as a ticket. If you select e-ticket as your option they email you a booking ref and security code, and then you go to the ticket page (the link would also be in the email), put the booking ref/passcode in, and THEN it'll give you a page to print out. If you try and turn up with just the email you won't be allowed on.

Thank you very much for the info :smile:

That shows how much things can change. :smile:

This is right, but also straight after booking there should be an option at the top of the page to 'Print' your e-ticket straight away. I did this but also saved the copy of that e-ticket to my documents for quick access should I need to reprint it.

That shows how much things can change. :P

This is right, but also straight after booking there should be an option at the top of the page to 'Print' your e-ticket straight away. I did this but also saved the copy of that e-ticket to my documents for quick access should I need to reprint it.

Ah, I've not noticed that as I never want to print it until the day before I travel. I lose things ;)

I booked a e-ticket with National Express... You just need to print it once you've booked and show the page to the driver.

I did the same. You just show the driver the printout - that's how I got to LFACC last September.

we have the same problem, but when i want to book from the net, it proposes me 2 Northampton: one 'cottons' and one London road a 508...Which one must i take please, as i am staying at the Park inn?

In fact it proposes 3 Northampton: Northampton/ Northampton "cottons"/ Northampton "road"

I just chose the "Northampton" one

yes , thank you, i just noticed :chair:

That's done too!

Too bad we have to leave so early on sunday (14.30 to be onboard only at 18.30! :P ) But we don't want to wait for ages at Milton Keynes... Sunday Eclipse almost won't exist for us...

Yeah, the coaches from MK to Northampton (and back) stressed me out, so I'm relying on the train for that leg of the journey. I'm not sitting on a coach for 3 hours to MK only to then have to wait over 1 hour for the coach to Northampton.

That shows how much things can change. :D

Ah, I've not noticed that as I never want to print it until the day before I travel. I lose things :thumbup:

I'm quite obsessive compulsive, I need all my things in order. I printed everything off straight after buying[travel e-ticket, photoshoot receipts etc], but I also saved the copy of the e-ticket that comes upon ordering to my documents, I also copy and pasted that to Microsoft word. Then I printed all these out, including e-mail confirmation for the National express[2 of each] kept one set folded and laminated the other set. *Please don't avoid me at the con people*

Don't worry, I'm OCD too. I printed all my receipts and confirmations out last week and they're all together in a nice plastic wallet. And everytime I ordered something, I saved the print screen of the confirmation page.

You're not alone. =)

Then I printed all these out, including e-mail confirmation for the National express[2 of each] kept one set folded and laminated the other set.

You'll need to make sure you have the folded set to show to the driver as he'll scribble on it with a pen to show it's been used and I doubt his biro will work on laminated paper!

Don't worry, I'm OCD too. I printed all my receipts and confirmations out last week and they're all together in a nice plastic wallet. And everytime I ordered something, I saved the print screen of the confirmation page.

You're not alone. =)

YAY Another obsessed person, so you won't be avoiding me then. ;) I got a plastic binder folder as well, cause you need somewhere to put the 8x10 photos so they don't get bent.

Then I printed all these out, including e-mail confirmation for the National express[2 of each] kept one set folded and laminated the other set.

You'll need to make sure you have the folded set to show to the driver as he'll scribble on it with a pen to show it's been used and I doubt his biro will work on laminated paper!

Heh. I'm bringing both sets with me, with double print off of the national express receipt just in case he needs to take it as receipt. Don't want to be stuck in Northhamptom after everyones left. ;)