Help getting to venue from Bus Station

graeme2020uk

I was looking on National Express website and i was looking for a train leaving Glasgow to go to London but there was loads of options in London.I was just wondering if anyone who uses that site to travel or can understand it can tell me which 'station' is the best one to go to as im looking to arrive and go straight to the venue,do my thing and leave asap afterwards (no overnight stays on this trip).

Also on the standard search i did i was looking at £35 return tickets as something called a saver .And one at £45 (which is refundable). Can anyone tell me the best one.

I was looking on National Express website and i was looking for a train leaving Glasgow to go to London but there was loads of options in London.I was just wondering if anyone who uses that site to travel or can understand it can tell me which 'station' is the best one to go to as im looking to arrive and go straight to the venue,do my thing and leave asap afterwards (no overnight stays on this trip).

Also on the standard search i did i was looking at £35 return tickets as something called a saver .And one at £45 (which is refundable). Can anyone tell me the best one.

I'd forgotten that NatExp do trains now as well, but to be honest I'd be far more inclined to check out www.thetrainline.com as it covers all train operators, I believe.

From memory, I'd think you probably have a choice from Glasgow of coming in to Kings Cross or Euston. The two stations are within walking distance, but for absolute ease of use, you want Kings Cross, as you then get on the Piccadilly line that takes you down to Earls Court, a few minutes walk from the venue. Going into Euston would only put about 10-15 minutes on your journey, but it does mean a walk, or a change of tube lines.

Let us know if it does give you a choice of other stations in London and I'm sure I or somebody else could give you pointers on how useful those other stations may be.

As for the ticket prices, I'd guess that if the £45 one is marked as refundable, and the £35 one isn't so marked, then the £35 one is non-refundable. I would check on that with the ticket issuing people, but basically it means you have the option of a cheaper, non-refundable ticket (useful if you're definite you want to come), or paying a bit ore, but knowng that you have the re-assurance that if you cancel for some reason you will get your money back (again, check with the ticket issuers as to the refund terms - you may need to give a minimum period of notice of cancellation in advance of the journey to qualify for the refund).

If you are going by coach on National Express, they arrive at Victoria coach station, and from there it's about a five minute walk to Victoria tube station, and you can get the District line straight to Earl's Court.

Edited by Flibble

I got cut off while typing my reply before so quickly..the options are London, Bank,Blackfriars,Bow,Canary Wharf.Baker St/Glos Pl,Chiswick,Chiswick Sutton Rd,Colonnades,Aldgate,Archway Station.

I wanna get there,get off bus/train,get in line,get my stuff get out and go home.I dnt have much money just now and the £35,£45 offered would do me fine.

I would go with good old megabus.com but they dont travel through the night which doesnt suit me as i dont wanna stay overnight.If anyone can help plz do.Im not keen on this travelling by tubes etc,ive never been to London before.

I got cut off while typing my reply before so quickly..the options are London, Bank,Blackfriars,Bow,Canary Wharf.Baker St/Glos Pl,Chiswick,Chiswick Sutton Rd,Colonnades,Aldgate,Archway Station.

Those sound like coach stops, although some do coincide with train or tube stations.

For example, Baker Street and Gloucester Place are two parallel roads, about 125 metres apart, and about a mile long. But they are both one way streets, in opposite directions, and are also classified as the northbound and southbound carriageways of the A41. So if you were coming in from the north, you wuld be going down Baker Street, and would be dropped off on that street (presumably fairly close to the tube station of the same name), whereas if you wanted to be heading back up north, your stop would have to be on Gloucester Place, again probably reasonably close to Baker Street tube station. In either case, the stop is probably about 3 miles from EC2, as the crow flies.

To be honest, of the stops you have listed (and I have no idea where "Colonnades" is), Blackfriars or Aldgate East are the best, since they are at least on the District Line tube which goes to Earl's Court (although several miles from it). None of the stops you have listed are within about 3 miles of EC2, I would have thought.

I wanna get there,get off bus/train,get in line,get my stuff get out and go home.

Well, to be brutally frank, unless you can get a bus or coach to Earl's Court or West Brompton, that ain't going to happen.

I dnt have much money just now and the £35,£45 offered would do me fine.

I would go with good old megabus.com but they dont travel through the night which doesnt suit me as i dont wanna stay overnight.If anyone can help plz do.Im not keen on this travelling by tubes etc,ive never been to London before.

Well, given the suggested stops, you're going to have the options of

* tube, sometimes having to change lines (depending where the coach drops you)

* bus, and almost certainly more than one

* walking, but it will be several miles and won't be in a straight line

* there's a possibility one could manufacture a route using mailine (i.e. not tube) railway lines, but I suspect that it would be tortuous.

The first time I went to each of Paris, Sydney and New York, I was completely on my on and had to use the local metro systems based on nothing more than a few maps I'd got off wikipedia, plus the wikipedia explanations of the system. When I went to Chicago it was pre-internet days for me, so I only had a copy of their transport map from a book in the library. In eery case I got where I wanted to go without problem. In this case you have wikipedia, the very useful tfl.gov.uk website, plus any number of people here who can give you help, hints and tips. I'm sure you can do it.

I will not be walking around England with a printed off map.

It's not an offence or anything; thousands of tourists do it every day.

What kind of taxi fares am I likely to pay to get to this Earls Court place.

From Baker Street or Blackfriars, probably £15, maybe a little less, potentially more especially if you get stuck in traffic. From the other places you listed, considerably more. Because of the geography of the roads, about the shortest taxi distance from Baker Street would be about 4.25 miles - see here (http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/taxisandminicabs/taxis/1140.aspx) for approximate prices, and here (http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/taxisandminicabs/taxis/taxifares/4870.aspx) if you want to see exactly how it gets calculated.

Actually Blackfriars would be about 5 miles, so reckon on closer to £20, and don't even think about Canary Wharf - it's over 9 miles.

Chiswick might be the best bet, but that's still at least 3.5 miles, and it's almost always busy (read "more expensive than normal in a cab" coming in from there.

On the flipside, tube fare would be £4.

This is alot to take in.Im gonna have to read up on everything.

Upon browsing the Midlands thread i see Showmasters a running coaches.Perhaps they could arrange a coach at one of those bus stops.That way i could get picked up and taken to the venue.Theres bound to be more people like me using National Express and dont know where their going.

Edited by GraemeMc

This is alot to take in.Im gonna have to read up on everything.

Upon browsing the Midlands thread i see Showmasters a running coaches.Perhaps they could arrange a coach at one of those bus stops.That way i could get picked up and taken to the venue.Theres bound to be more people like me using National Express and dont know where their going.

I thought that the reason SM were running a free bus at the Midlands show was specifically because the venue is out of town and has rather poor public transport links.

Earl's Court is in central London, and smack on top of 2 tube stations and mainline train station.

It's not comparing apples with oranges, it's comparing apples with parsnips :D

Last year there were over one billion passenger journeys made on London Underground. Some of those were by first time users; I'm sure that most of them didn't get lost/mugged/killed/sold into slavery/abducted by aliens...

I may be missing something here, but am interested to know why you won't travel on the London Tube?

Being that you're from Glasgow, have you not used the Glasgow tube?

Anyway, you could get the sleeper train down from Glasgow to London Euston ( leaving Glasgow 2341 arr Euston 0741 ) and if you were prepared to consider using the London Tube, it takes around 20 mins to get from Euston to Earls court.

I'll grant you that there are 3 changes involved, but I've found that the staff do help you and point you to the right platform, and the platforms do have clear displays stating where the train is bound for.

The first time is a bit daunting, but the end justifies the effort.

Going home, only involves 2 changes and takes around 25 mins, and you get to Kings Cross station where you can board your train home to Glasgow in the evening.

I believe I've also met your criteria for no overnight stays in London, and also given you the longest time at LFCC ?

Booked well enough in advance will also keep the price down.

But as said, I'm curious as to why you would'nt go on the London Tube? You're a Glaswegian after all, so the joys of SPT is enough to make the London underground a doddle....

I dont wanna be at the venue any longer than needed.No offence to anyone who loves these kinds of things and loves to mingle with the ppl and the fans.Its not my thing at all.Having said that im sure this time there maybe more ppl i will wanna meet.Also with me not staying overnight i wont be restricted to carrying any luggage around,which was a bit of a problem for me at Gmex,plus i wasnt able to move around as i normally would.I was restricted.

Im not jumping on tubes when i dont know where im going.With those coaches i can get there about 5.30am so that gives me plenty of time to get to the venue.I might take someone along with me to keep me company,sounds like its gonna be a long day.Plus i wanted to get there early.I got at Gmex at half 6 and was number 2 in the que.....not that im braggin or anything..(theres a thread in the gmex forum:p).I really thought it would have been a 5 minute cab ride like Gmex was.

Im determined to go see Malcolm.For some reason ive always considered Manchester local.It never worried me.Ive never been to London in my life.

This sleeper train your talking about,how much is it? I really hope i havent left it too late to get all the cheap deals.All this stuff about changing trains etc,i dont wanna work myself into a panic that morning,knowing my luck it would go wrong.Obviously i dont wanna leave it to the last minute.

Obviously if any nice ladies want to come pick me up ill be very much obliged lol.

Would suggest you keep an eye on www.thetrainline.com it's full of useful information about trains and prices.

You can't book more than 3 months in advance , so work out 3 months previous to the LFCC dates.

How old are you exactly? cause I still don't see what the problem is with using the tube system?

And ive already told you im not getting off a coach to work myself into a panic to get to the venue early.I will look into the trains.I will research the London map your websites have provided.If i book early enough what is the cheapest im likely to pay for a train?

You could get more busses around london, but that'll take forever and then you gotta find the right routes.

Why not go to the tfl site as has been suggested, then use their route finder which will tell you exactly which busses or whatever you need.

But if your not going to use the tube, your going to have a lot more fun getting there!

Have to agree - getting to EC without using the tube will involve quite a walk, or an expensive taxi ride.

It's highly unlikely you can do it cheaply and on a same day return without the tube. I really think you are giving yourself uneccessary obstacles.

I wanna get there,get off bus/train,get in line,get my stuff get out and go home.

I did this myself at MK when I was a newbie, and it's great to be able to do it if you want to or need to, but the only way you can do this is by using West Brompton or EC tube stations. I know it's really off-putting when you are not familiar with the tube, but it really is an excellent system !

Edited by dufresne

All this stuff about changing trains etc,i dont wanna work myself into a panic that morning,knowing my luck it would go wrong.

My apologies - from your general forthright tone in previous threads I had assumed you were a great hairy-ar*ed Braveheart of a fellow who quaked or quailed at nothing. ;)

Another lesson in how people can come across in a different way on-line to how they are, it would seem.

I would think, quite sincerely, that the vast, vast majority of attendees will at some point be hopping on the tube. I myself will be getting a train into London Euston and then taking whichever transfers I need to get to EC or West Brompton. It's simple. I'm not sure what you're afraid of? It's hard to get lost and if you do, just ask one of the guys who loiter around the disabled turnstile exit. Are you worried that you're going to be murdered? I'm a small girl who looks like a teenager and nobody's tried to kill me yet, so I'm sure your life is safe.

To be frank, you're asking people for help in getting there, and they've given it. If you're just going to ignore their advice and get a taxi, you don't need help.

Ooh wait a minute Tommy im afraid of nothing.Believe me ive no problem gettin on a tube with the londoners.I just dont like spending more money than i need to.And seeing as i dont venture into England very much,i was a little unsure as to what transport to take.If needs be ill get on one of these tubes.I was just wanting to know all of the alternatives thats all.

Then again i shouldnt be so stingy sometimes.Maybe i should just make a day of it and hit the shops afterwards.

With regards to trainfares.If i book early enough what price am i likely to pay,will it be cheaper than the coachs i was going to get?

Ooh wait a minute Tommy im afraid of nothing.Believe me ive no problem gettin on a tube with the londoners.I just dont like spending more money than i need to.And seeing as i dont venture into England very much,i was a little unsure as to what transport to take.If needs be ill get on one of these tubes.I was just wanting to know all of the alternatives thats all.

Then again i shouldnt be so stingy sometimes.Maybe i should just make a day of it and hit the shops afterwards.

OK, afraid of nothing, except spending money :firedevil: (You do realise you're reinforcing a national stereotype there...?)

With regards to trainfares.If i book early enough what price am i likely to pay,will it be cheaper than the coachs i was going to get?

I have no idea; the pricing structure for trainfares in this country is insanely complicated; I'd rather try to understand Einstein's General Theory of Relativity in a language that I don't speak, than to master the fares system.

However, thetrainline.com will be able to quote you fares on whatever train journey you want to ask it about, so I'd suggest a visit to that website would be most productive.

Cheers,

TommyT

• Showmasters Admin

Just to throw in a completely different idea. Have you looked at EasyJet?

You can get to either Luton, Stanstead or Gatwich from Glasgow.

I had a look and Luton is best for times and price. It's currently about £46 return and gets you to Luton in just over an hour (well OK there's the time to check-in but travel time is short). You can get into Luton for 7:45am.

Then it's 35 min train to King's Cross, and then 25-30 mins by tube.

And there's a 10pm flight home.

Just an off the wall thought, I flew up from Luton to Glasgow for the event there :firedevil:

Edited by Too Tall

Ok, that's better now

Now that you're considering the tube here goes..

Looking on thetrainline.com for a sleeper ticket approx months ahead it would be approx £60 to get a single on the sleeper to London ( or £115 if you want a bed ) and around £25 for a single back to Glasgow on a Saturday evening. Yes, us Scots get stitched up for travel!!

As TommyT quite correctly mentions trying to work out the trains is a nightmare.

Too Tall makes an good point about flying down, if that is an option for you? and if you booked now, it'd be £60 return on Easyjet

I've not travelled down to LFCC via the sleeper, but I have travelled home to Edinburgh on the sleeper, so have occasionally paid the prices mentioned.

But if you do some research yourself either online or going in to your nearest national rail station, you might get cheaper prices or options that have not been considered.

Being a Scot, I will say that I really did'nt like parting with that amount of money for travel.....

There's also a way to get right to the nearest station without touching the London tube at all, but that would involve you travelling the day before, which you've said you don't want to do. I just thought I'd let you know that it's possible.

So rather than other forum members doing your research for you, I hope that you'll now go and look for yourself at travel options. As doing the above took less than 5 mins for me to find out.

To use a guid Scots phrase " Use your heid !! "