Travel via train help!

AnnaSun

Hope I'm not gatecrashing this thread by asking my own 'train journey to the Mk' question, but it saves starting a new thread. I can check on the train ticket website but I thought I'd ask here as well - I would be coming from the West Midlands. Would I have to stop and get on another train on the way down to Milton Keynes and the Mk?

• 4 weeks later...

I come down from Newcastle upon Tyne on Virgin trains. I have always changed at Birmingham or Coventry and it takes up to 5 hours - I am thinking it might be easier to go straight to London Euston then back up to MK? Anyone else travel from afar!? :YAHOO:

Hope I'm not gatecrashing this thread by asking my own 'train journey to the Mk' question, but it saves starting a new thread. I can check on the train ticket website but I thought I'd ask here as well - I would be coming from the West Midlands. Would I have to stop and get on another train on the way down to Milton Keynes and the Mk?

Birmingham International, Birmingham New Street and Coventry are all on the main line to Milton Keynes

I come down from Newcastle upon Tyne on Virgin trains. I have always changed at Birmingham or Coventry and it takes up to 5 hours - I am thinking it might be easier to go straight to London Euston then back up to MK? Anyone else travel from afar!? :YAHOO:

I'd be surprised if you could do it quicker going via London!! Given as you'd have to take the tubes go get from whichever station in London you arrived at, to Euston. Plus, it'd cost you a LOT more!

I don't know what the trains will be like by the time the event comes round. But please beware that there is quite a lot of disruption on the MK line at the moment, especially between Watford and Northampton. This is mainly on Sundays.

• 2 weeks later...

if you want to know how many changes and long it takes and how much it will cost, you can go to www.thetrainline.com register and it'll tell you all of these things :YAHOO: put in all the details like destination and times of travel etc and then it gives you a list and tells you how many changes there are, and sometimes the same journey will have a different number of changes depending on the time of day. also, it is likely to cost more if you travel before 9am.

sometimes it will tell you to go through London and then out again, which can be rather expensive! :dance: so you'd need to put "london" in the "avoid station" option. also, of course, it might try and take you through Birmingham and you'd rather go through London because it can be quicker, depending where you are coming from, so you'd put that in or use the "travel through" option :dance:

if you book really far in advance (you can now book 3months in advance of travelling!) you can get to places really cheap! for example, I have paid £6.60 single from Cardiff to MK a few times when the return price can be £40 or more!! :hathor:

it is also worth getting a Young Person's Rail Card if you are under 26. it costs £20 for the year (or roughly that) and gets 1/3 off most rail fayres, sometimes the saving you make on one journey pays for the railcard! :borg:

surfy sah xx