Alan Ball RIP passing of another hero

lallen

Have just heard on the BBC that Alan Ball had a heart attack last night and has sadly passed away.

Mark, I think I can speak for all sports fans on this forum when I ask you to pass on our condolenses to his family.

I had the pleasure of seeing Alan play for both Everton and England, and love him or hate him, if he was playing for England or against your team, you had to respect both his skill and his commitment and passion.

If todays players had half his passion when wearing the 3 lions badge then England could go onto gretaer heights than also rans.

Godspeed Alan

Les

Edited by lallen

My heart goes out to his Family, Friends and anyones who has had the great pleasure of meeting or watching his great ability on the pitch and promoting the great game of football.

RIP

Richard

Very sad news today about Alan Ball another hero of 1966 gone, but another who will never be forgotten by anyone who watched that superb match all those years ago.

My sincere sympathy goes out to Alan's family and friends at this sad timE.

RIP ALAN, GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN, SCORE A GOAL FOR US UP THERE MATE.

:D:YAHOO:

so sad to hear this i am only 17yrs old and love my football have watched how alan played in his carrer on the tele and a mointh ago i had the pleasure of meeting him and getting his autograph outside the ivy restuarant in london and what a nice fella he was RIP ALAN BALL rest in peace for ever u are a true national hero

I'm a Liverpool fan and I know many of Alan's great club days were at Everton but I think both Liverpool and Chelsea players (at least the Captains who are both English) should wear black armbands this evening as a mark of respect to a great player.

Thank you everyone for your messages today! Sorry not to have posted earlier, but I have actually been out all day, and one of the meetings I have had was with Alan's manager.

I have asked for our thoughts to be passed on to Alan's family at this very sad time! He was indeed a true football legend and he will be sorely missed.

We will be doing something special at Sportsmania in memory of Alan, and I will let you all know what that is probably next week, as today I think it is more appropriate that we just remember him for the legend that he is.

May he rest in peace.

Mark

1 Minute Applause given for Alan Ball at the Chelsea Liverpool game

Glad to hear it. I just posted this on the Everton Website forum: I heard the sad news this morning and I've been upset all day. I'm too young to have seen him play, but I know how much he meant to the club. I'd always hoped to get the chance to meet him. Sadly that will never be. RIP

Not posted before because computer was off while builders are in at my place...

I was lucky enough to work with "Bally" occasionally at Radio Solent - on the Saturday afternoon football show, of course! He was such a down-to-earth, friendly guy that you almost forgot you were in the presence of the "engine" from the '66 World Cup team. He had no hint of arrogance - always a very approachable and genuinely warm man.

At the time I knew him, his late wife was battling cancer. I also think I remember rightly one of his daughters was being tested and/or treated for cancer too at that time. Despite the amount of emotional strain he must have been under, Alan continued to be nothing less than his humourous, chipper self.

As is well-known, he was of short stature - about the same height as me, and we use to tease each other about who had allegedly grown taller since the previous week! I think this reflected a long running joke he and Jackie Charlton had going from way back!

Alan made a big impression on everyone who met him, myself included. Nobody he came into contact with will ever forget him.

Please see my other post about Alan's memorial service next week.