Where is the James Q&A at?

buffymon

Hi. I´m wondering exactly where the James Q&A will be held? à know it´s at the hockey stadium, but it would be nice if SM could reassure us that it´s not going to be in the same room as last time, which was really bad.

*keeping my fingers crossed*

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i post this in the general thread

"Just as long as it is NOT held in that long dreadful room, where it was last time!! i could not believe how bad that was... Unless you sat in the first 5 rows, you couldn't see anything and the sound was dreadful - if you were near the back, you neither heard or saw James - until at the last he went down there so at least you could snap off a picture... if you had a camera that could cope with the truly terrible lighting... :P

Can we get some sort of assurance that this will not happen again??? Even outside in the actual stadium would be better than that...

Thanks a lot "

The moderator of that section was so negative and pro-Showmasters, i felt it was a real waste of time even posting there - his attitude was 'you knew it could be the same room, so what are you complaining about' - and this was inspite of the fact, we had never been to Collectormania before and had no idea what the 'norm' was in regards to talks - and he obviously has no idea if the room is going to be used again... Very Poor...

i missed out on the Watchers Talk last time because of that dreadful room - one of our party having checked it out and reporting that we would be right at the back and she couldn't see them and barely hear them. We elected to stay downstairs and join the queue for James Marsters, in an effort to be closer to the front and have at least a chance of seeing him. This only half worked, as most of us were in the middle and were studiously ignored by the Man with the Microphone - the sound was very bad and they missed half of what was said. Heaven only knows how much the back half of the room missed.

There were a LOT of unhappy campers that day... The organisers would have to have been deaf, dumb and blind not to realise this - so if the same room is used again, we can only come to the conclusion that if we are stupid enough to keep paying for this AWFUL room, they will keep grabbing the money.

Personally i am going to email James' management and tell them how we feel and urge them to either refuse to use the room or simply not to do talks again at Collectormania....

Unfortunately there's only a limited number of venues in Milton Keynes available anyway.

Easy Cinema (which was used for the C9 talks) is still being renovated from what I know, and the theatre is usually booked. Leaves the cinema in Xscape and the Hockey stadium.

If it is the same room again, I am sure Showmasters had valid reasons for booking it. Maybe other rooms were not available, the capacity didn't seem high enough... the list is endless.

Also, my apologies, but James' fans always seemed very well organised to me and I personally thought that the problems with the rooms had made their way around. There was mentioning of problems with the room after all already in the thread where the talk was announced.

"The moderator being so negative" is a moderator on this forum, just like I am. While we help keeping spamming and such in line on the forum, we are not involved with any bookings Showmasters make, may it be rooms, guests or whatever. So unless someone tells us (which quite obviously hasn't happened in this whole room issue) we do not know more than the other users.

For the record: I decided to enjoy the Watchers Talk last time and ended up in the very last row for James. I have not regretted it, honestly. While I agree the view was very obstructed, I did not notice any problems with the sound where I was sitting.

And as for the mean with the microphone "ignoring you" - I have seen the number of people raising their hands to ask questions. It was simply impossible that everyone would get to ask their question during the time that was allocated for the talk. He was trying to be fair and do it in order. But honestly, we all are humans and it is possible that he has overlooked someone.

Unfortunately there's only a limited number of venues in Milton Keynes available anyway.

Easy Cinema (which was used for the C9 talks) is still being renovated from what I know, and the theatre is usually booked. Leaves the cinema in Xscape and the Hockey stadium.

If it is the same room again, I am sure Showmasters had valid reasons for booking it. Maybe other rooms were not available, the capacity didn't seem high enough... the list is endless.

Also, my apologies, but James' fans always seemed very well organised to me and I personally thought that the problems with the rooms had made their way around. There was mentioning of problems with the room after all already in the thread where the talk was announced.

"

No, believe it or not but not all James´fans know each other...

I was aware of the problem from last time but I took for granted that SM had booked a better room this year (stupid me)and therefore I havent mention this to those of my friends that are going to CM for the first time.

Last time people from CM told us before James came on stage that they were sorry for how poor the room was, and that they had planned to use another room from the start (or something along that line) but there had been some kind of mix-up.

Valid reasons? I don´t think there are any valid reasons for using a room where people don´t get what they have paid for.

Last time I sat in the back, and I didn´t see or hear much of anyhing.

I´m also going to write the JM crew a letter, this is not OK

Edited by buffymon

A Friend of mine has done some research on the venue there is only 1 room that can take the 350+ people who

have purchased tickets for the talk, apparently the room is theatre style hopefully that means its on a slope of some sort, me and my friends will unfortunately will be at the back , we will not be happy if we can neither see

or hear james as this is the highlight of the weekend for us, lets hope sm have listened to previous complaints

otherwise there will be alot of p****d off james marsters fans !!!

• Moderators

Suggestions of 'outside the stadium' or even in the stadium are unrealistic I think, so even if they would be better than "THE ROOM" it's a bit pointless suggesting it.

There are various moderators for different sections on this board - most have a general knowledge of the events etc, but if Showmasters haven't posted specific details then the majority of us are in the dark as much as 'attendees'.

It's all speculation really, and that's not very helpful. It's not as easy to organise talks for Collectormania as it is for LFACC or GMEX unfortunately, so sometimes people just take what they can get - organisers and attendees alike.

The unfortunate truth is that when the venue isn't confirmed, and it's clearly stated, then it was always a possibility it'd be in the same place. But we'll just have to wait and see.

No, believe it or not but not all James´fans know each other...

You're missing my point. I wasn't referirng that all fans know each other, but there are countless Yahoo Groups, Message boards etc. devoted to James. And news (especially bad news) travel fast, especially on the Internet.

I do believe this, but I was aware of the problem from last time but I took for granted that SM had booked a better room this year (stupid me)and therefore I havent mention this to those of my friends that are going to CM for the first time.

Never take things for granted, especially at conventions. :thumbup:

Last time people from CM told us before James came on stage that they were sorry for how poor the room was, and that they had planned to use another room from the start (or something along that line) but there had been some kind of mix-up.

That's the first time I ever heard of that.

I am not sure where the "theatre style" room that So Blue is referring to may be. "The room" always seemed like the biggest in the staidum to me. But as it has been said: there's only so many venue choices.

Valid reasons? I don´t think there are any valid reasons for using a room where people don´t get what they have paid for.

Yes, valid reasons. Maybe this was the biggest room available and they decided that they wanted to give as many fans as possible the chance to attend the talk? Maybe it was the only venue available at that time?

As David has said, it's all speculation, really.

However, I am 100 percent sure that nobody at Showmasters decided "Hey, let's p**s off James' fans and use the same room again on purpose."

Last time I sat in the back, and I didn´t see or hear much of anyhing.

As I said, I sat in the last row - and it really was the very last row - last time and I did not have any hearing problems. *shrugs* Sound at LFACC or G-Mex has been way worse than the sound at the C7 talk.

Edited by Queen_Sindel

must say i didnt realise it was that room again either. Was terrible last time all on one level and were at the back for the watchers talk and i couldnt see a damn thing of tony and alexis or James after and i couldnt hear them either. you can forget being able to take photos unless you have a long lens too as they looked like dots from the back as i remember . I would have thought after last time this would have been sorted out to be honest especially as i hear more talk tickets were sold as well after they ran out this time? I understand you go in by rows of 50 so i cant see anyone over batch A being able to see or hear anything. hope this isnt going to be the case as i know this was going to be a highlight for some peoples day and James is always very entertaining as well know.

Edited by buffy2k

must say i didnt realise it was that room again either.

NO-ONE has confirmed it is the same room. Only Showmasters can state which room they have been given for use - everyone is just speculating.

You're missing my point. I wasn't referirng that all fans know each other, but there are countless Yahoo Groups, Message boards etc. devoted to James. And news (especially bad news) travel fast, especially on the Internet

Yes, valid reasons. Maybe this was the biggest room available and they decided that they wanted to give as many fans as possible the chance to attend the talk? Maybe it was the only venue available at that time?

As David has said, it's all speculation, really.

However, I am 100 percent sure that nobody at Showmasters decided "Hey, let's p**s off James' fans and use the same room again on purpose."

As I said, I sat in the last row - and it really was the very last row - last time and I did not have any hearing problems. *shrugs* Sound at LFACC or G-Mex has been way worse than the sound at the C7 talk.

well congrats to you then if you both and heard the guests from the back row, I guess I must be hearing impaired and in serious need of glasses :dance: And maybe I need to wear lifts...

And yes, there are boards etc, but I hardly think it falls on the fans to inform other fans about the situation. Feels like you are saying "if you are dumb enough to to buy them then it´s you own fault". I on the other hand think it´s up to the seller (SM) to be open and honest with what they are selling.

And no, I don´t think that they want to pi** off James´fans, but that seems to be what they are doing. :thumbup:

If you read my previous posts again, I have agreed with you that the vision from back there was definitely obstructed. But I heard just fine, and you won't believe me anyway but I am in general pretty hard of hearing.

Also I have never said that it falls on the fans to inform the others - I just pointed out that there absolutely were more than enough ways people could have heard about the problem.

And I still fail to see where Showmasters was being dishonest about the product they are selling: They have sold tickets for a James Marsters talk, venue to be confirmed. This was specifically mentioned both when the talk was announced and when the tickets went on sale.

If the venue was that important, why did you not wait with buying your tickets until it was announced?

Nobody forced you to buy those tickets when you did, and if you're that unhappy with an announced venue you could have decided not to go after all details had been released.

Maybe this is a more friendly way of saying "if you are dumb enough to to buy them then it´s your own fault", but this is the way I feel. Showmasters offered something and you (and others) took up the offer based on the info you had. You have chosen to make the purchase. This is hardly Showmasters' fault.

I was far from happy with the venue last time either, but I have also decided to take the risk again. If it is the choice between no talk and a talk in the "room of doom", I am still going with the room of doom.

At least the James fans are getting a talk. No other talks have been announced. What if no talk had been announced for James? People would be complaining about this.

EDIT: I just realized that this is basically a more friendly version of your "if you're stupid enough to buy them" bit, but this is the way I feel.

Edited by Queen_Sindel

ok, I can see that this conversation isn´t going anywhere...but I still have to say that I don´t understand what difference if makes if the venue is "confirmed" or not before I buy a ticket. Is it dumb of me to expect, upon purchasing a ticket to a Q&A, that I will be able to both see and hear the guest? Then all of us fans must be dumb cause that´s what everyone is expecting, with the exception of some moderators it seems. Go figure.

But no matter what, I´ll try to put my happyface on for this event.:chair:

Buffymon - who obviously is "dumb enough" to buy tickets for a CM event

Edited by buffymon

• Moderators

In an ideal world, you'd be right. Every single person would hope to see and hear the talk. However, some of us know that's not always realistic.

It's the same with, say, gigs or sporting events. You get there late for standing, you might end up right at the back and your favourite group will be a dot to you. Sure, it's not EXACTLY the same situation but you get the idea.

Now we don't even know where it's going to be, but we know that it might not be possible for everyone to see/hear depending on where it is. We're just trying to be realistic, while pointing out that there was no guarantee of a good view etc as there was no confirmed venue.

It's basically like blind-booking a random seat at a concert, and turning up to find out it's behind a pole. I wouldn't do it. I guess I'm more cautious and less expectant when I'm not provided with solid info or a choice.

"Nobody forced you to buy those tickets when you did, and if you're that unhappy with an announced venue you could have decided not to go after all details had been released"

You obviously have no idea about James and his fans...tickets sell very very quickly where James is concerned..If you wait untill all the info is up then it's likely you won't get a ticket...

As for the venue it was crap..I was in the middle and I could neither see or hear very well...people had to stand up to take any photo's which understandably annoyed the people behind them..James was standing on a very low stage and also seemed to be having trouble hearing the questions.In fact he had to work quite hard to get the questions going as evryone was sorely pissed off. The bloke with the mic either stayed at the front or went to the back. He didn't come anywhere near the middle..Another fact, James came out again after the talk ended and stood at the back and at the side so people could take their photo's...

Everyone was so pissed off that most except for a handful left before the auction of that gross Spike bubble head started..

YOU NEED TIERED SEATING.....

I wish SM would make themselves heard...

I´ve mailed them and this question has been debated in several threads on this forum.But SM has never spoken up. No good at all.

In an ideal world, you'd be right. Every single person would hope to see and hear the talk. However, some of us know that's not always realistic.

It's the same with, say, gigs or sporting events. You get there late for standing, you might end up right at the back and your favourite group will be a dot to you. Sure, it's not EXACTLY the same situation but you get the idea.

Now we don't even know where it's going to be, but we know that it might not be possible for everyone to see/hear depending on where it is. We're just trying to be realistic, while pointing out that there was no guarantee of a good view etc as there was no confirmed venue.

It's basically like blind-booking a random seat at a concert, and turning up to find out it's behind a pole. I wouldn't do it. I guess I'm more cautious and less expectant when I'm not provided with solid info or a choice.

Sorry dave b don't wanna argue but every other non sms con or signing I have been too (which is a lot) you are able to see and hear the talks wherever you are sat. I would expect this like everyone else. :thumbup:

It's only slightly like it. Having been to hundreds of concerts, whilst there are some with poor views, the real shockers are usually flagged in advance as "restricted view", and you can usually see some of the stage.

The worst show for a view I've ever been to was an acoustic show with a stage about 15" high, and the performers sat down. Since it was a standing venue, and I was several rows back, I couldn't see a thing. I could, however, hear the show, and glorious it was. However, rest assured, if I ever turn up at a concert and I can neither see anything nor hear anything, I'll be after a refund way before the end.

• Moderators

Since it was a standing venue, and I was several rows back, I couldn't see a thing. I could, however, hear the show, and glorious it was. However, rest assured, if I ever turn up at a concert and I can neither see anything nor hear anything, I'll be after a refund way before the end.

There seems to be a few differing reports about what could be 'heard' though - some back row people say they could hear fine, yet some in the middle couldn't hear anything. I can't really remember back to the talk itself, but I would assume that sound systems and their placement in the room can be sorted a lot easier than visibility problems.

Sorry to had something but ... IMO , See the guest during a QA is a RIGHT and not a privilege ! It's normal to have a worst sight in the back or on the side but when I bought a QA ticket (and it's not my first QA ) I consider that I have the RIGHT to see this guest !

• Showmasters Admin

Hi all!

It is in "THE ROOM" and if anyone has another venue to hold the talks in do let me know as I live in MK and know of no other venue that is suitable!

We have had many talks held in this venue and as with all venues it is not perfect! It has its good points and bad points and I know there are several of you that are unhappy with the venue but I must say that a majority of the fans were happy that they got to see James give a talk and enjoyed it!

Now, I do have something to say to one or two of you that seem to keep going on and no about this! I think it is particularly unfair that you seem to think that moaning is going to change anything! We are holding it in ‘THE ROOM’ as you have so called it, and that’s that!

I must say that one or two of you seem to have a complaint about everything we are doing with this talk. I think that it is a bit selfish of some of you to go to the event with such a negative attitude and stop others that would love to attend being able to, as they have not heard James in a talk. You are stopping fans that would love to be there going by going yourself!

So to those who say that they are going to attend and then ask for their money back after the talk I have something to say to you. DO NOT COME! If you come up to the organisers booth we will give you your money back before the event and then we will let other fans that will appreciate hearing James talk have your tickets. I am not prepared to let you come in to the talk, slag it off, spoil it for the others and then ask for your money back.

So there will be NO refunds of tickets after the event!!!

So now you know the facts. One last thing for those who have not been to a talk with us before! Take no notice of these people! They are just causing a fuss over nothing. Over 60% of the tickets sold have gone to people that attended last time and they have re-booked, so they must have had a good time at the last talk!

And If you could not get tickets than you may be lucky buy dropping into the organisers booth and there may be some tickets for sale on the day if we get some back.

Sorry to have to come on here and be so direct. I just think that one or two of you are getting out of hand and need to not try to spoil it for the others.

Please remember we only do our best and we want you all to have fun and it is not in our interest to put on an event where it is badly organised or you do not get what we have promised! What would be the point in that?