Personalised or just signed

Bohan

I was just wondering how many people out there like to get their pics from guests at conventions signed with your name and a message, or prefer the guest just to sign it with their name?

Personally i like all my autographs personalised as it makes them just that little bit more special, and anyway i have no intention of selling my autographs in the future anyway.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same as, and seeing as most of the autographs I get are from Star Wars peeps and the fact that my name is Luke means that I always get a witty message. The best one so far was from Jeremy Bulloch (Boba Fett) He just wrote -

Luke - Your'e next!!! then signed it - thought that was cool! :yoda:

C3 was my first experiance of autographs from the stars. I had all mine personalised, and I liked it that I was asked by the American stars how to spell my name, but Billy got it right without asking. It all adds to the conversation, or you can always knock coffee over the table, that always help as a conversation point. :yoda:

I can understand where you are coming from Darryl especially if you get a lot of stars signing the same thing... I guess you would run out of room.

the photos that they have available at the signings i think are best personalised because it makes them different and special from everyone elses but if i get a poster, drawing or anything else signed then just the signature is best. just my opinion. :yoda:

I like getting photo's personalised but things like posters and the like not.

I love the one I got from Tom Felton cause I was in my uniform and he said I was a true slytherin girl and so wrote Slytherin 4 ever on my piccy! I was so happy!!!!!!! :D

I'm not sure if it was me Lord of the rings books and posters that I was having signed probably just the autograph. But my picture of John Rhys Davies is personalised and I love that to bits. Even got a frame for it :D I was made up when he wrote me name too. :D So probably prefere both really.

I personally prefer to have convention guests to personalise all the photos I get signed.

It brings back great memories for me when I am looking through my collection.

In terms of value, not getting items personalised makes them worth more (unless you're selling them to someone with the same name!) :D

I have no intention of parting with my photos and am not in it for the money, so unless they are bought from a dealer, all my photos are made out to me.

Always personalised if I can, and I try to get a photo too as definitive proof that I have met them.

However sometimes if you meet some celebs out and about in London they just usually sign their names, and at the Buffy/Angel cons I have been to some of those actors were only signing names too.

Obi-Wan :D

I have some 40 signed star wars figures each of which were signed directly to me with some sort of other comment. A few actors didnt want to though/couldnt.

All my other signatures are on photos and they are likewise personalized to me. Mainly ST + LOTR.

Its the main part of my collection so Its nice to have them unique...

I had a thought about this last night. Its a bit morbid but it gets the point across.

Its nice to have a wonderful collection and have them displayed. People coming to your house and saying "Wow, you met...". These personalised autographs are great at the moment and everyone will look at theres and remember the day when they met so and so. But in years to come when you are old and grey, what will it mean to you then? When its time to write a will so your kids and grandkids get all your possessions, what will it mean to them?

Your kids and grandkids probably will not know who you are talking about or who the autograph is from. Most of the actors will be dead by then, so all the kids will do is probably sell the autographs on.

Everyone here is saying that they are personalised so it adds a bit proof to the item but who do you need to prove it to? You are not intending to sell them and its only family and friends that will see them. So unless you are a compulsive liar, what do you need proof for? I think deep down people still class the signed bits as an investment, something they might sell later on and this is why you need your proof.

You have to remember, you cannot take them with you when you die (and I know some of you are going to say "yes I am") but you can pass them on to your family.

To end this before too many of you fall asleep, this is why I do not have personalised items. I know where they are signed and who signed them and do not need to prove this to anyone. If you need proof take a picture of them signing the item. Sooner or later you will think "I wonder how much this is worth" and its down hill from there.

Darryl

Well that is a stupid way of living life! I would rather not think about the long term and dying and instead thinking about having fun and enjoying myself why i am here on this planet. In no way do i think of my autographs as an investment and they will always meen something special to me, it's not as if when i die i will have the chance to think -

"oh s*** i'm dead, i really wish those autographs had not been personalised, now my grandchildren cannot make a big fat profit on them!"

Basically I don't give a damn what happens to them when I'm gone. All I know is that for now getting them personalised to my wife and myself makes us happy, and when you're dead, you're dead and you can't care what happens to them then.

Personally I'd have to be in a pretty sad state of affairs if I had to sell them anyway. That's just my point of view. I think to each their own is the way this can be summed up.

By the way hum3z who have you had sign your Star Wars figures. I have a few signed, but after a while I ran out of room to display them. My most treasured ones though is my Ewan McGregor signed 'Soft Goods' Episode I Obi-Wan, and my Hayden Christensen signed Anakin Peasent Disguise, which Hayden confirmed was the first figure he had signed in the world at that time.

Obi-Wan :firedevil:

And to add to what i said a few hours ago, if you keep thinking about what happens after you die then you also shouldn't - Take your dvd's and vhs casettes out of their original plastic seals, do not remove any action figures/toys from their original boxes etx etc. Everything is worth something if you keep it totally mint, but it is much better to forget about the far off future and enjoy your possesions to the fullest.

Basically I don't give a damn what happens to them when I'm gone. All I know is that for now getting them personalised to my wife and myself makes us happy, and when you're dead, you're dead and you can't care what happens to them then.

Personally I'd have to be in a pretty sad state of affairs if I had to sell them anyway. That's just my point of view. I think to each their own is the way this can be summed up.

By the way hum3z who have you had sign your Star Wars figures. I have a few signed, but after a while I ran out of room to display them. My most treasured ones though is my Ewan McGregor signed 'Soft Goods' Episode I Obi-Wan, and my Hayden Christensen signed Anakin Peasent Disguise, which Hayden confirmed was the first figure he had signed in the world at that time.

Obi-Wan :yoda:

Wow, that's a nice story Obi! Closest thing I got to that Hayden incident was when Jeremy Bulloch said that he had never seen this figure of boba fett that I took up. Something like, it must be a rare variant you have there. I thought it was pretty amazing as he has probably averaged 2 figues a day all the stuff he does for his fans. He also put "be cool" on it which was great. Nice guy :)

My favourite Star Wars sigs include Christopher Lee, Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Billy Dee and I got Anthony Daniels to sign my vintage 21 back carded 3p0 figure; thats my favourite item. Its quite nice to get the vintage ones signed sometimes. I also met a bunch of lesser actors at Jedicon 8 including actors portraying Yak Face, Squid Head and 4 lom. All of which I really like too.

I prefer personalised. When my friends and I saw John Rhys Davis, he gave each of us different messages like:

My exquisite friend Laura

&

For dearest Emma

That was really nice and it felt like he was really glad to meet you :D

Yea he was great to meet. You really did feel wanted! Very funny too.

He wrote on mine "to david, who will make his father very proud of him! and me!" Given, it took up half the photo but I wasnt fussed :yoda: We had a pretty long chat and he kept tickling me while having my photo with him. Lol :)

I had a thought about this last night. Its a bit morbid but it gets the point across.

Its nice to have a wonderful collection and have them displayed. People coming to your house and saying "Wow, you met...". These personalised autographs are great at the moment and everyone will look at theres and remember the day when they met so and so. But in years to come when you are old and grey, what will it mean to you then? When its time to write a will so your kids and grandkids get all your possessions, what will it mean to them?

Your kids and grandkids probably will not know who you are talking about or who the autograph is from. Most of the actors will be dead by then, so all the kids will do is probably sell the autographs on.

Everyone here is saying that they are personalised so it adds a bit proof to the item but who do you need to prove it to? You are not intending to sell them and its only family and friends that will see them. So unless you are a compulsive liar, what do you need proof for? I think deep down people still class the signed bits as an investment, something they might sell later on and this is why you need your proof.

You have to remember, you cannot take them with you when you die (and I know some of you are going to say "yes I am") but you can pass them on to your family.

To end this before too many of you fall asleep, this is why I do not have personalised items. I know where they are signed and who signed them and do not need to prove this to anyone. If you need proof take a picture of them signing the item. Sooner or later you will think "I wonder how much this is worth" and its down hill from there.

Darryl

You can't really talk about profit where signing star wars figures without juxtaposing the whole thing. Signing vintage carded figures, as many do in fact decreases the value entirely! Im not saying that its nothing wd40 wouldnt fix, nor am I saying you shouldnt sign what you want. Most collectors dont feel the need to proove that they have met the actor anyway. No disrespect here but I dont think many people were that bothered after bragging I had met Darth Vader (David Prowse). If you want to sell the figure on with the signature then fair enough but this is ultimately one of the factors taht discourages certain actors to make convention appearances. No collector or fan would ever encourage this.