Ringcon Enquiry

pippinweasley

i was thinking about this. i would really love to crew but if i cant, for whatever reason, then i still want to go to the event. but i dont really want to leave it to last minute in case all the tickets sell out.

hmmm. its a difficult one... a bit early to be thinking about crew i suppose.

=x=

• Moderators

i was thinking about this. i would really love to crew but if i cant, for whatever reason, then i still want to go to the event. but i dont really want to leave it to last minute in case all the tickets sell out.

hmmm. its a difficult one... a bit early to be thinking about crew i suppose.

=x=

I was thinking the same too, don't want to miss ring con, have emailed showmasters, but have had no reply :thumbup:

I heard there wasn't gonna be any normal crew - just orcs that stand around and attack anyone that annoys them. They don't sound very friendly right now but i'm sure we'll all get along just fine untill they chop our heads off :)

That'll be the Pit Bosses then who haven't had their coffee :angry:

I heard there wasn't gonna be any normal crew - just orcs that stand around and attack anyone that annoys them. They don't sound very friendly right now but i'm sure we'll all get along just fine untill they chop our heads off :)

Kettles and coffee to be delivered to the crew entrance immediately, Kettles and coffee to be delivered to the crew entrance immediately, Kettles and ................

Kettles and coffee to be delivered to the crew entrance immediately, Kettles and coffee to be delivered to the crew entrance immediately, Kettles and ................

i dont know what coffee is... does this mean the world is gonna end?? :dance:

=x=

i dont know what coffee is... does this mean the world is gonna end?? :dance:

=x=

tut tut and shame on you, go see Jola for extra tuition

There never is any "normal Crew". At least I have never seen any at any previous show. Would be boring if Crew were normal.

To get back on topic, this is a sensible question when it comes to big ticketed shows where people are wanting to Crew, but would not want to miss out on getting tickets if they are not picked.

Paul

• Showmasters Admin

I talked to Jason about this last weekend and so he is aware of it, but is unlikely to want to post anything until a decision has been made. And as a number of people have said the event is nearly 8 months away.

I'm going to talk to him again (and hopefully Stuart) this weekend. As I agree, with it being a completely different type of event there are a lot of questions to be answered regarding the crew. So hopefully there will be some answers soon.

Edited by Too Tall

I'd hazard a guess seeing as Stuart - the god of crew, comes very much from "the land of conventions", that this would run on convention crew rather than SM crew. That would be you buy your ticket and attend the convention then offer to steward for a few hours each day, rather than the whole weekend. That way you can attend talks, disco's, autograph sessions, but give up a few precious hours voluntarily to help out with stewarding duties.

As generally for the SM events crew aren't picked until a few weeks before, it would seem safer to buy a ticket if you are more worried about attending than crewing. If all you want to do is crew and aren't fussed about attending one way or another then wait and see what happens in about 6 - 7 months.

and HOPEFULLY Too Tall will manage to get some further information this weekend.

• Moderators

I talked to Jason about this last weekend and so he is aware of it, but is unlikely to want to post anything until a decision has been made. And as a number of people have said the event is nearly 8 months away.

I'm going to talk to him again (and hopefully Stuart) this weekend. As I agree, with it being a completely different type of event there are a lot of questions to be answered regarding the crew. So hopefully there will be some answers soon.

Thanks Too Tall buddy :lol:

I think that the comments made have been fair. People are aware of the issue and are looking into it. More importantly though, Stuart has been elevated to the status of God.

Run in terror mortals, run in terror.

Paul

Thanks for the update!

I think that the comments made have been fair. People are aware of the issue and are looking into it. More importantly though, Stuart has been elevated to the status of God.

Run in terror mortals, run in terror.

Paul

*runs screaming*

teehee! that made ne giggle muchly.

=x=

I'd hazard a guess seeing as Stuart - the god of crew, comes very much from "the land of conventions", that this would run on convention crew rather than SM crew. That would be you buy your ticket and attend the convention then offer to steward for a few hours each day, rather than the whole weekend. That way you can attend talks, disco's, autograph sessions, but give up a few precious hours voluntarily to help out with stewarding duties.

As generally for the SM events crew aren't picked until a few weeks before, it would seem safer to buy a ticket if you are more worried about attending than crewing. If all you want to do is crew and aren't fussed about attending one way or another then wait and see what happens in about 6 - 7 months.

and HOPEFULLY Too Tall will manage to get some further information this weekend.

I agree with Dawn here. I've been going to conventions for too many years I care to even remember LOL, but that's how it generally works in convention land. You buy your ticket to attend, then you volunteer your services for stewarding duties for a couple of hours.

Working conventions is completely different to working signing shows like Collectormania etc, and the number of crew so to speak are far less, so as Dawn says, if you really want to go to the show but don't want to miss out on tickets, then buy one. It's safer.

• Showmasters Admin

I was wondering that too. I've been reading the information about crewing which seems to only tell you about the disadvantages. Are there any advantages?

Almost everyone that crews.....

Makes friends.

Has a great time.

Comes away with the feeling they're part of something great.

The first time you get thanked by an attendee for helping make their dreams come true will stay with you for a long time.

Just seeing people in a queue waiting to see their idol and then seeing them come away with the biggest smile on their face and knowing you had a part in making that happen.

Once you've done it you'll find you're hooked :P

I agree with what the others have being saying that there's likely to be a (relatively) small number of crew at this con. So to be honest it's unlikely SM will ask many (if any) newbies to crew it (I'm not saying don't try, I'm just saying don't be surprised if you're no asked).

As you can imagine when there's a larger number of crew it's easier to accommodate new crew members, so you're more likely to get asked if you request to do a day at Collectormania MK and it's (I think) the best introduction to crewing.

Edited by Too Tall

OK, I'll look in to queuing at Collectormania, though there are a couple of guests I'd like to meet attending so I wouldn't want to miss out on meeting them because of crewing. The other factor is that I'm based in London so MK is more difficult for me to get to than the London-based events. I'm less into LOTR so I thought it would be worth volunteering for this event as it seems like it would be a lot of fun!

OK, I'll look in to queuing at Collectormania, though there are a couple of guests I'd like to meet attending so I wouldn't want to miss out on meeting them because of crewing.

We do try to accommodate crew requests in taking time away from their duties to meet a guest. Failing that, you can work half a day and use the other half to do your own stuff.

The other factor is that I'm based in London so MK is more difficult for me to get to than the London-based events. I'm less into LOTR so I thought it would be worth volunteering for this event as it seems like it would be a lot of fun!

I live in London and it's no hassle getting to Milton Keynes. We have crew from all over the UK.