How about NO guests!

Scottd

At the last Memorb. Fair in Glasgow I went to they had Tony Daniels - who is an absolute delight, I'll never tire talking to him and is an A-list collector fair guest. But from what I saw that last time he sat pretty much doing nothing, no queue despite the empty ropes where one should of been.

You see people go for the dealers tables. Put it this way, if there were only 'stars' there'd be about 10 folk at this event, if there were no 'stars' numbers would hardly be effected! (IMHO)

So why not use the money saved to either lower the price for dealers tables - to encourage them to make long trips from England (I'm neither English nor a dealer btw) or lower the entry fee, or both!

I've been going to al kinds of collectors fairs for about 16 years but have never once gone to see a 'star'.

scott - hoping to see a successful collectors fair in Scotland!

• Moderators

Showmasters events appeal to a lot of people who do collect autographs, and so I don't think it'd be viable to go down the 'no guest' route that you're suggesting.

You see, selling autographs and offering the opportunity to get them IN PERSON and meet the star is something fairly unique.

Dealer stalls and their merchandise is not as unique. Far from it actually. While there are a fair few dealers that do sell exclusively at shows, there are many who sell online etc too. Now while you can purchase autographs online, it's a very different business. Dealer merchandise will often be CHEAPER online, while autographs will often be more expensive and you don't get to meet the person!

I'm certainly not saying that there aren't people who would go just for the merchandise, but I really don't believe it would be viable to do what you're suggesting from a financial standpoint.

Sounds pretty stupid, Yak, and certainly not something I'd go to. I don't ever buy autographed things from the dealers' tables unless the autograph is from someone who's dead. The personal experience is, IMHO, the whole point of getting the special guests to attend these events - it's what a LOT of people attend for, including myself.

Oh, by the way... I live closer to Scotland than to the south coast of England, so your point really doesn't have anything to do with anything.

I only go to events if there is a guest I really want to meet, I couldn't afford to go to all the film fairs, etc where there are no guests. Perhaps Mr Daniels' table was quiet because 1) he's done several events in recent years so a lot of people have already met him, or 2) he was charging a lot for autographs and people didn't want to spend that much. Certainly when I met him the amount he was charging meant that I only got one autograph even though I would have liked to get more.

Edited by nosfer2

I think that's a strange and unrealistic suggestion! and why would you want dealers charges to be lessened if you're not a dealer?! :P

if anything it's events like the one you mentioned that I miss out, out of all the events SM, a certain London company and the one you mention run! purely as I find it silly to travel all that way to you know where to pay £10/£15 to get in only to spend more money once inside on memrobillia I don't reaaaaallllllyyy want or need ^_^

obviously people who are seriously into merchandise and collecting find that a fair price and well worth the trip, but as already mentioned, so much stuff can be bought online these days... :smile:

events, espesially Collectormania, are more than just about merchandise, and in my opinion, the guests: people meet up with friends they only tend to see at these sorts of events and the cosplay scene has become a bigger feature in recent events (not just SM ones) not to mention the crew are re-united; it's quite big social thing, espicall in MK! :blink:

surfy sah xx

I think that's a strange and unrealistic suggestion! and why would you want dealers charges to be lessened if you're not a dealer?! :YAHOO:

if anything it's events like the one you mentioned that I miss out, out of all the events SM, a certain London company and the one you mention run! purely as I find it silly to travel all that way to you know where to pay £10/£15 to get in only to spend more money once inside on memrobillia I don't reaaaaallllllyyy want or need :D

obviously people who are seriously into merchandise and collecting find that a fair price and well worth the trip, but as already mentioned, so much stuff can be bought online these days... B)

events, espesially Collectormania, are more than just about merchandise, and in my opinion, the guests: people meet up with friends they only tend to see at these sorts of events and the cosplay scene has become a bigger feature in recent events (not just SM ones) not to mention the crew are re-united; it's quite big social thing, espicall in MK! :smile:

surfy sah xx

That me right friend

• Showmasters Admin

Yak,

I believe your logic is faulty in 3 ways:

1: You are basing your suggestion on your experience of the previous event held at this location. That was not an SM event, SM events are very different to those held by that previous company.

2: It's actually by having a large number of guests to make money that means the entrance fee can be lower. Having no guests would necessitate a rising of the entrance fee and dealers fee NOT a lowering, as it would remove the shows largest source of income. The entrance fee to SM events is already £5 cheaper than that old event.

3: You're correct that 1 good guest (Tony Daniels) is not going to get people to travel from England, but nor is 200 dealers tables, as we already have them at events in England. SM events have a much greater variety of good quality guests compared to that old event and 30 good guests (which is normal for an SM event) is likely to get people to travel.

My suggestion is don't dismiss guests based on that old show, just wait until you've seen to a decent guest orientated show put on by SM.

Edited by Too Tall

Hi

I haven't posted anything for ages, but wanted to add my opinions on this.

I only attend the events for the autographs. I would not attend if it were dealers only and from speaking to some dealers at previous events, some have mentioned that they sometimes have bad weekends and don't sell much.

I was at the event referred to at the start of the post and there was a massive queue for Tony Daniels when the doors opened (I waited half an hour) and in total I spent over £100 collecting several autographs I wanted.

Regards

Steve