Guest Cancellation -

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

seems like there is a pattern here,showmasters announce a big star to appear and guess what a couple of weeks before the show they cancel,this is the third time this has happened

I SMELL A RAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

then you've got one up your nostril :wub:

SM don't announce a guest unless they've been signed - otherwise they could (and probably would) be taken up for false advertising.

i recall one event changed most of its lineup practically overnight from a list of big names to equal number smaller names. THAT is suspect. SM only lose a handful of guests, total. and check - lij and carrie are still coming.

sh*t happens to all of us, but hey, if dreyfuss could lose his work because he doesn't do it when its available now, then he's obviously gonna do it. 1 day's filming could well be worth more to him than sitting looking at ppl he doesn't know or like all day.

seems like there is a pattern here,showmasters announce a big star to appear and guess what a couple of weeks before the show they cancel,this is the third time this has happened

I SMELL A RAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont smell a rat but I think the contracts that are drawn up must be entirely favourable on the guests side as there seems no firm committment on the guests side of things. Its like saying providing you dont get a better or bigger job then will you appear at the show. But how else will guests ever agree to come if this is not the case? Can you suggest anything better??

I do think however that it is too easy to back out of an event like this and doing it 2 weeks before the event is not honouring any kind of committment at all. People do spend a lot of money organising themselves to come to these events to meet certain guests who then pull out at the last minute.

As a sales point of view the longer Dreyfuss stays confirmed then obviously the more people are going to want to go but I think the moment showmasters knew that he wasnt coming they let us know, which just happened to be 2 weeks before.

We all wanted him to come to the event but dont blam Showmasters for this, it is unfortunate and it does happen too often, but its the nature of the event, some things pop up for some people unexpectedly.

The contract that guests sign doesnt seem to be worth much to some guests granted though. Dreyfuss has at the end of the day, had a better offer for his career. In terms of loyalty though its not doing the right thing morally, but when has that ever come into it.

Dont blame Showmasters.

I dont smell a rat but I think the contracts that are drawn up must be entirely favourable on the guests side as there seems no firm committment on the guests side of things. Its like saying providing you dont get a better or bigger job then will you appear at the show. But how else will guests ever agree to come if this is not the case? Can you suggest anything better??

other side of the coin is, they aren't getting any money.

take a contract killer for example. you've paid him to do someone in. they discover, and contact the guy to offer him twice the amount to do you in.

which offer is he gonna take up?? :wub:

same for work - unless you've a strong loyalty to those you're workin for, you'll jump ship the moment you get a better offer.

also - to write a more firm commitment is difficult - family commitments can arise (of any sort) or various other problems. its hard to force someone into honouring a contract, unless one side has been honoured already - and i doubt if mr dreyfuss was given his money in advance for the autos he hasn't signed yet, so he's lost out on that at least :P :P

other side of the coin is, they aren't getting any money.

take a contract killer for example. you've paid him to do someone in. they discover, and contact the guy to offer him twice the amount to do you in.

which offer is he gonna take up?? :wub:

same for work - unless you've a strong loyalty to those you're workin for, you'll jump ship the moment you get a better offer.

also - to write a more firm commitment is difficult - family commitments can arise (of any sort) or various other problems. its hard to force someone into honouring a contract, unless one side has been honoured already - and i doubt if mr dreyfuss was given his money in advance for the autos he hasn't signed yet, so he's lost out on that at least :o:P

yeah its a hard situation, i dont smella rat with showmasters though as they would want him there as much as us! Think they have done a good job of holding everyone else to attend. Would love Burt Reynolds back though lol BBBC! :P

the best thing is that all you guys fall for it every SINGLE time

just watch the real big names WILL cancel about 2 weeks from the show in manc

ill be there to say TOLD you so

Everytime you post, it's always something negative or insulting someone!

Big name actors are BIG IN DEMAND. Chances are they might have to cancel. Sith happens (There's one for the Star Wars fans :blush: )

Deal with it. Part and parcel of conventions.

the only big name to cancel this time round is Dreyfuss. Ok granted im gutted as it was the main reason behind my gold pass and will probably not get one in future just in case a similar thing happens, but its the nature of the game. I was accused of been predictable when Dave Prowse was announced when all I did was point out it was quite obvious, you blatantly come on here and wind people up with your disrespectful comments.

I for one am going to LFCC and armed with my Gold Pass am planning to have a bloody good time. I dont care what you think to be honest. And you say the real big names will cancel 2 weeks before Manchester?? Well looking at it now we have Carrie Fisher and Elijah Wood still going to LFCC so that 2 out of 3 still attending.

Go play somewhere else. :blush:

the only big name to cancel this time round is Dreyfuss. Ok granted im gutted as it was the main reason behind my gold pass and will probably not get one in future just in case a similar thing happens, but its the nature of the game. I was accused of been predictable when Dave Prowse was announced when all I did was point out it was quite obvious, you blatantly come on here and wind people up with your disrespectful comments.

I for one am going to LFCC and armed with my Gold Pass am planning to have a bloody good time. I dont care what you think to be honest. And you say the real big names will cancel 2 weeks before Manchester?? Well looking at it now we have Carrie Fisher and Elijah Wood still going to LFCC so that 2 out of 3 still attending.

Don't rise to it mate

Don't rise to it mate

hell, if i can ignore a filthy little bottom like this, anyone should!! :YAHOO:

• Moderators

It's been said time and again that Carrie and Richard are very good friends, and no doubt that had an impact on getting him to the show. However, people that are still constantly working in film/tv are more likely to cancel - after all, look at the last Collectormania, it wasn't massive guests cancelling .. anyone's likely to if they get a role, it is priority after all. A few hours signing compared to a successful movie role which could impact on the rest of your career and get you a following for many years .. well, it's an easy choice. They are professional actors and actresses, not professional autograph signers! (although someone like Dave Prowse could qualify as both :blush:)

Big name actors are BIG IN DEMAND. Chances are they might have to cancel. Sith happens (There's one for the Star Wars fans :blush: )

its just the facts plain and simple,wake up and smell the coffee

all im saying is this

ian somerhalder

lance henrickson

richard dreyfuss

the most popular in the lead up suddenly cancel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stop defending these guys at all costs

are they giving refunds to people who got gold passes to see dreyfuss i bet not

just take the blinkers off guys

Go play somewhere else. :D

Don't rise to it mate

The fact that there are people here who sink so low as to insult someone for telling the truth, shows just how neverendingly deep the Satan Pit really is.

People fell for the gold ticket rouse last year, and the majority of those same people have fallen for it again, assuming they actually have thrown their money away and are not just saying they have in order to ingratiate themselves.

For those people who are still happily waving their gold passes in the air, the reason they bought them had nothing to do with the guests. They just want to give their money away. They'd have still bought one if the headline guests were Sooty and Sweep.

I can think of much nobler causes who would welcome the cash.

Big name actors are BIG IN DEMAND. Chances are they might have to cancel. Sith happens (There's one for the Star Wars fans :D )

its just the facts plain and simple,wake up and smell the coffee

all im saying is this

ian somerhalder

lance henrickson

richard dreyfuss

the most popular in the lead up suddenly cancel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stop defending these guys at all costs

are they giving refunds to people who got gold passes to see dreyfuss i bet not

just take the blinkers off guys

anyone who got a gold pass only because of dreyfuss is a total idiot, when an auto, a hotel room, and transport costs less.

(rich, not aimed at you, i know dreyfuss isn't the only guest you want to use it for :YAHOO: )

and of those three, the only one i'd have an interest in is lance - and he's big enough to be given a bit more money if a fiming crew wants him badly enough :dance:

dig your head up from below the earth's crust, you might actually be in touch with life again :WAVE:

• Moderators

Gold passes can't be refunded on the basis of one guest cancelling.

Nor can entrance tickets, plane tickets, hotel rooms etc. That unfortunately isn't an option, and it's just business.

Showmasters aim to bring the best guests possible - unfortunately sometimes this means that it's a more risky lineup because of the stature of the guests (i.e. a current big star) and while other events might get less cancellations I doubt you see a Dreyfuss level guest there much, if at all!

It's always made clear that guests can cancel due to work commitments, and so it's a risk that we all take. No-one can accuse SMs of ever making that clear.

Maybe it's one big conspiracy by Showmasters, Earls Court, all the local hotels, and transport companies - they all knew that Richard Dreyfuss wasn't coming, but decided that they'd make loads of money if they announced him. It's quite clever really, I admire the initiative and the effort that it must have taken.

Area 51's got nothing on LFACC.

Go play somewhere else. :D

Don't rise to it mate

The fact that there are people here who sink so low as to insult someone for telling the truth, shows just how neverendingly deep the Satan Pit really is.

People fell for the gold ticket rouse last year, and the majority of those same people have fallen for it again, assuming they actually have thrown their money away and are not just saying they have in order to ingratiate themselves.

For those people who are still happily waving their gold passes in the air, the reason they bought them had nothing to do with the guests. They just want to give their money away. They'd have still bought one if the headline guests were Sooty and Sweep.

I can think of much nobler causes who would welcome the cash.

consider the same person is being nice enough to call the rest of us idiots?

mind yourself, please.

and hey, if i was goin this time, and had the money, i'd want a gold pass on the grounds that all the guests i want to see (save SPF) are still going.

Gold passes can't be refunded on the basis of one guest cancelling.

Nor can entrance tickets, plane tickets, hotel rooms etc. That unfortunately isn't an option, and it's just business.

Showmasters aim to bring the best guests possible - unfortunately sometimes this means that it's a more risky lineup because of the stature of the guests (i.e. a current big star) and while other events might get less cancellations I doubt you see a Dreyfuss level guest there much, if at all!

It's always made clear that guests can cancel due to work commitments, and so it's a risk that we all take. No-one can accuse SMs of ever making that clear.

Maybe it's one big conspiracy by Showmasters, Earls Court, all the local hotels, and transport companies - they all knew that Richard Dreyfuss wasn't coming, but decided that they'd make loads of money if they announced him. It's quite clever really, I admire the initiative and the effort that it must have taken.

Area 51's got nothing on LFACC.

:dance:

• Moderators

Come on everyone, let's give a big round of applause to Jason Joiner and his cohorts for pulling off such a conspiracy! :YAHOO:

For years, we've talked about whether man actually went on the Moon or not, whether Diana was murdered, those rumours about Kenan and Kel being dead, and where the hell Mr Blobby went ... but now, this really is something to tell the grandkids!

Remember that crazy day when Showmasters announced RICHARD DREYFUSS :WAVE: What a laugh that was!

Nearly on the level of Samuel L Jackson coming to LFACC!

And them announcing BURT REYNOLDS!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

No, wait, he actually came along :dance: damnit, that ruins the pattern :D

Edited by DavidB

Samuel L Jackson was never announced by anyone, so he doesn't count.

And for saying that you don't get the stature of someone like Dreyfuss at other events, well you don't get them at Showmaster events either apart from LFCC2 which was a one off and will never be repeated event.

Why? Cos it was a financial disaster.

Given that Showmasters have so many cancellations compared to other events (approaching 50% of the guest list on some occasions), and that their record of getting these guests back to future events is almost non existent, the conspiracy theories are very well founded.

The eagled-eyed amongst you will notice that the cancellations of the headline guests are now being announced weeks in advance. Not on the Tuesday night before the event as has always happened.

And why is this? Because Showmasters were well and truly rumbled by a few people on here before GMEX last February. They know they simply can't get away with it anymore.

I heard once that some guests at Showmasters events had never signed a contract to say they would appear, so the odds are that at least some of the previous cancellations were never under any obligation to show.

• Moderators

I heard once ...

Yes well I heard that Michael Jackson was actually an alien but it doesn't mean I believe it.

If the only way you can back up what you're saying is by speculating about things that you have no facts or figures about, nor actual involvement in anything whatsoever, then no-one is exactly going to believe you, so I'd give up.

Samuel L Jackson was never announced by anyone, so he doesn't count.

And for saying that you don't get the stature of someone like Dreyfuss at other events, well you don't get them at Showmaster events either apart from LFCC2 which was a one off and will never be repeated event.

Why? Cos it was a financial disaster.

Given that Showmasters have so many cancellations compared to other events (approaching 50% of the guest list on some occasions), and that their record of getting these guests back to future events is almost non existent, the conspiracy theories are very well founded.

The eagled-eyed amongst you will notice that the cancellations of the headline guests are now being announced weeks in advance. Not on the Tuesday night before the event as has always happened.

And why is this? Because Showmasters were well and truly rumbled by a few people on here before GMEX last February. They know they simply can't get away with it anymore.

I heard once that some guests at Showmasters events had never signed a contract to say they would appear, so the odds are that at least some of the previous cancellations were never under any obligation to show.

thanks mate someone else with a bit of common sense,it will happen at gmex2 g/teed

no wonder they wont refund gold tkts which are a complete rip off anyway

plus to the guy who said all i say is neg things go to the gmex one forum and read,i had a great day out

• Moderators

So what about when Elijah turned up?

Or when Elijah turns up AGAIN?

He's a crowd puller, so what's up with that? Why didn't they just make up his announcement another time, and get loads of people in? And then have him cancel? Would have been easy!

It's very easy to look at the negative side of things, as no doubt you just want to do in this case!

And someone who's been a member since last year but only posted 5 times is pretty suspicious :P

So what about when Elijah turned up?

Or when Elijah turns up AGAIN?

He's a crowd puller, so what's up with that? Why didn't they just make up his announcement another time, and get loads of people in? And then have him cancel? Would have been easy!

It's very easy to look at the negative side of things, as no doubt you just want to do in this case!

And someone who's been a member since last year but only posted 5 times is pretty suspicious :P

whats more suspicious is an inflated post count :lol: (there aren't 5 posts when you go to find them! :poki: )