Looking for a film that will make me think...

Mr Stabby

The Machinest is a good thinking film although it is a bit weird and it's hard to get into.

The Village or any of M.Night Shyamalan's films (The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Signs... well not so much Signs, it's not really a thinking film!). I love all of his films, they're so great.

A Beautiful Mind is a good one and so is the shawshank redemption... erm... Fight Club, American Beauty... that's all I can think of for now.

Hope I've helped!

Annie.

Dr. Strangelove

A Matter of Life and Death

976035[/snapback]

Oooh, good call! I'd forgotten about those two. Both big favs of mine

Andrea

The DVDs are worth getting too if you haven't already. Couple of nice extras - Behind The Scenes Commentary on A Matter of Life and Death, and making of and interviews on Dr. Strangelove.

Actually anything by Kubrick or Powell & Pressburger is usually worth watching of course. Same for Hitchcock and Billy Wilder. I like most of their films. They all seemed to know how to make us think while never forgetting to entertain us at the same time. Billy Wilder said "If you have something important to say, wrap it in chocolate," and also "I just made pictures I would have liked to see."

And his motto for film making was "Never bore people." That sums up great film making to me. Wish we had films like theirs coming out every week.

This film makes me think far too much, but I do think everyone should watch it sometime:

"Threads"

Just seems like a random 80s TV drama, until halfway through when a nucleur bomb lands near Sheffield...

Very chilling, disturbing and numbing. Oh, and it made me go and read the 80s 'Protect and Survive' leaflet just in case it happens for real.

Alone in the Dark

Well, it will make you think who on earth gave Uwe Boll money to make this absolute calamitious effort of a movie.

In terms of more realistic suggestions, maybe Schindlers List, that certainly gives you a lot to think about

Or pretty much any movie by David Lynch.