certificate of authenticity

Badboy6555

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although alot of people would like to have COA's with their autographs there are things to consider.

The cost of doing it would be quite large and considerable aswell as the time to print them.

Plus by not having them it means that they are difficult to sell which is good as there won't be thousands of autos on Ebay after each event.

An even in Rotherham last year provided a COA with each auto which was fine for that event as it was quiet and they had time to do it but with an event like Colectormania it is alot of unnessesary hassle on Showmasters part

Perhaps take a photo of them signing it for you? :headscratch:  :P

942615[/snapback]

This has it's faults still though. When you sell it how do you prove it is real and not a re-production of the orignal with the sig? And if you plan on selling them on eBay how do you prove that's even you (the seller) in the picture??

Edited by nicky

• Moderators

Take naked pics of urself? :lol:

But really, I'm sure if you asked Showmasters for some kinda proof of authenticity or a receipt or something, it'd be possible. Can't guarantee it though!

Best to just email them and ask? Or wait for a mod to come here then ask them :)

A Certificate of Authenticity is not worth the paper its printed on.

It is merely a trading tool, so that if you are getting autographs to sell on, the buyer feels more comfortable that what they are buying is genuine.

BUT I could point you towards a TON of sellers on ebay, many with huge feedback numbers, many are powersellers, who offer a COA with all the fake 'personally signed' items they sell. So what does that prove? Even if the signature is quite obviously a fake...it has a COA, so that means.....its not a fake? How so

I found a VERY poor faked photo of the 3 Harry Potter characters at the weekend on ebay. How poor ? Poor enough that all 3 signatures were nothing like what they should be like and.....Daniel Radcliffe's sig was spellt danie.....no 'l'. I think the poor kid knows how to spell his ownm name.

So I raised this with the seller - who provides a COA to confirm its authenticity. His reply -

"We weren't present for the signing of this item. It was purchased from another dealer. It is possible, that when Daniel was doing the signing where sometimes hundreds of autographs are given, he did not complete the signature properly. When we obtained the photograph, we inspected it and compared it with others of his and it is our belief that the signature is authentic"

Obviously a fraudster trying to appear like he's gone an ounce of honesty - yet quite obviously if he examined it, his guide dog must have been out of the room at the time!

So, COA - Worthless, absolutely W O R T H L E S S

And, as previous posters have said, if you are coming to Collectormania or LFACC, meeting the person themselves, watching them sign in front of you - what on earth do you need any kind of COA for?

Edited by keith

i think ive come to my conclusion and that there is no way to prove 100% that its real. because even a COA can be a remake. i think the best way to prove is to take a picture of yourself and the guest and the signing. this way you can prove to friends. and as for selling it......... who in there right mind would Q up for hours just to make a minute amount of cash.

i think ive come to my conclusion and that there is no way to prove 100% that its real. because even a COA can be a remake. i think the best way to prove is to take a picture of yourself and the guest and the signing. this way you can prove to friends. and as for selling it......... who in there right mind would Q up for hours just to make a minute amount of cash.

942867[/snapback]

Yeah, I mean, that's just a cod. Anybody who wants to get something signed so they can sell it is just bonkers... But I would say this, that perhaps a person is trying to get something signed to have it auctioned off for a charity or soemthing, now that I can understand... But any single person who has a shred of likeness and admiration for the actor/actress they want a signing from, I think, wouldn't ever want to sell it off.

942867[/snapback]

Yeah, I mean, that's just a cod. Anybody who wants to get something signed so they can sell it is just bonkers... But I would say this, that perhaps a person is trying to get something signed to have it auctioned off for a charity or soemthing, now that I can understand... But any single person who has a shred of likeness and admiration for the actor/actress they want a signing from, I think, wouldn't ever want to sell it off.

942921[/snapback]

i 100% agree with you

A Cetificate of Authenticity is worth diddy squat and is not worth the paper it is printed on.

It is, as someone further up this thread quite rightly said, a trading tool used to encourage people to purchase fake autographs. The only real proof there is is that of a photo of the celebrity signing

A Cetificate of Authenticity is worth diddy squat and is not worth the paper it is printed on.

It is, as someone further up this thread quite rightly said, a trading tool used to encourage people to purchase fake autographs. The only real proof there is is that of a photo of the celebrity signing

942964[/snapback]

But what's stopping, say, me from putting my camera on autofire and take about 50 different shots (by moving it around) while he/she's signing, and then selling those photos to the different places that sell fake autographs so they can say, here, we have pictures.... look at all the different pictures of the big name signing all these autographs we had him sign for us, Just so we can sell them to you... Aren't we great?

942964[/snapback]

But what's stopping, say, me from putting my camera on autofire and take about 50 different shots (by moving it around) while he/she's signing, and then selling those photos to the different places that sell fake autographs so they can say, here, we have pictures.... look at all the different pictures of the big name signing all these autographs we had him sign for us, Just so we can sell them to you... Aren't we great?

942974[/snapback]

I'm afraid that is what happens.

One seller on ebay - a different one to the one I mentioned earlier - states that with his signed photos he will include a photo of the celebrity actually signing.

ACTUALLY SIGNING... yes, but when, where etc. This particular seller has each and every week for the past TWO YEARS, listed signed photos of SEAN BEAN, ELIJAH WOOD, ORLANDO BLOOM, DANIEL RADCLIFFE, EMMA WATSON - some of the most popular forgeries there are. Everyone knows how they sign so very easy - too easy - to forge.

Ah but that signing photo??

Yes and how difficult is it to find a photo of Daniel Radcliffe signing for the crowd at some Premiere or other on any one of 50 HP sites, same goes for the LOTR guys. Just any old pic taken by a fan from the crowd - and that proves that the 150 or more 'genuine signed photos' this guy has sold in the past 6 months are real.

More like proves they are fake, because ANYONE on this board who has ever been to a Movie Premiere in London knows that if they are very lucky they might get one picture signed by a star - if they are very good they might get 2, 3 or 4 stars to sign - but no way on earth will they get ANY actor to stand there while they bring out a box full of photos and say "can you sign these 125 pics for my friends back home"

See my point?

yeah  thats true

anyone just collecting autographs for profit isent really a collecter

943118[/snapback]

There are GENUINE Dealers, like Mick at MSPG and the dealers who will be at Collectormania, Aurographica and LFACC, BUT....there are also far far too many currently on ebay and the like who make up fantastical stories to justify their fakes as being authentic. The COA scam and the 'pic of celeb signing' just play straight into their hands.

The losers are always fans in mid america and small towns in the UK that could not hope to get to London, New York, LA and can only take the word of some low life ebay seller who - at worst - will get rumbled, suspended, thrown off ebay, then strat up again withing days with a new name.

GENUINE Dealers dealing in GENUINE items cannot afford their good name to be tarnished by selling anything thats not 100% kosher

there is more fakes then reals so anyone buying them on ebay shouldn't take the risk. but as you said, there is GENUINE Dealers. and i bet that on more then one ocasion have been mistaken for scamers. and thats all down to the people making profit untruthly thought fake autographs

shame on them

So, COA - Worthless, absolutely W O R T H L E S S

I don't think all COA's are worthless but it is like anything in life, you have to know what you are buying, who from and how to be sure of the item's history. There are companies out there who are trustworthy but it's finding the good ones amongst all the bad. I have a couple of genuine Stargate costumes and autographed photo's brought direct from MGM's official dealer. These items came with holographed COA's from MGM stating clearly each item's provenance. This I trust, you can't get much more official than that. But you are right, any mug with access to a printer can make up their own COA's that guaruntee absolutely nothing. A friend asked me to check out an autographed photo of a Star Wars actor that was apparently obtained at a film release. She said "but look, the seller has a photo of himself at the event, some of the guest walking around and another photo of the guest signing someone else's stuff" I had to point out to her that just because the seller was at the event, doesn't mean he got his stuff signed, or hasn't then reproduced his signatures.

The saying Caveat Emproium is very relevant here. Buyer Beware.

I too have seen power sellers on Ebay selling loads of exactly the same autographed posters, all from the same film/tv programme. If you see a poster for sale on Ebay with 40 - 50 sigs on, i might believe they did get it signed themselves by going around the events, but when you see them later on selling a load more of the same poster you tend to get suspicious.

COA's are not worthless at all, providing you buy from a registered dealer.

In fact in terms of worth, your autograph is worthless if you havnt got one! Yes there are fakes but if you buy from a registered dealer you will receive a Certificate identifying that it is original from a reputable dealer.

Anyone can knock up a certificate yes, but if you buy from an unknown dealer u get what you deserve.

Authenticated Autographs who have appeared at another Collectables show were great, they took pictures of your item being signed, listed all the info about it and dates etc............. and then issue a certificate and put stamps on the item. The pictures are then uploaded to their official website so if you type in the code on the stickers on your item, or off your certificate, it brings up the item!

Good way of doing it, suprised they dont appear at showmasters as people would pay for it! Wasnt too expensive either!

Have you noticed on ebay that the seller states all our autographs were signed in person etc etc but if you question them on a particular item you always get the same reply...it was purcahsed off another dealer.

Yeah ok then

Have you noticed on ebay that the seller states all our autographs were signed in person etc etc but if you question them on a particular item you always get the same reply...it was purcahsed off another dealer.

Yeah ok then

943382[/snapback]

they should make some law to stop people selling Collectables on mass if they are not registered. this would stop regular scammers in their tracks. Or at least help. I hate fake dealers, should be thrown in prison with the key chucked away.