Oscars Nominations

Big_Pants

Thank the Lord someone has finally recognized the genius of Munich. Saw it two weeks ago at a preview with Roxy and both of us are still thinking about it. I was so totally moved and shocked and yes, despite the hardcore subject matter, I was ENTERTAINED by it. Brokeback Mountain was a beautiful film but I went to Burger King after and totally forgot about it.

Gutted to see that Eric Bana and Ciaran Hinds didn't get nominated but at least the Academy were brave enough to nominate the film and director (unlike the cowdy custard Baftas, honestly I'm ashamed to be British and I don't believe that daft story about the screening dvd's for one minute :firedevil: ). Definitely Spielbergs masterpiece, I salute you sir!

Edited by Big_Pants

Thank the Lord someone has finally recognized the genius of Munich.  Saw it two weeks ago at a preview

921621[/snapback]

Finally?! You only saw a preview 2 wks ago!! :jason:

I'm gonna see Walk The Linethis wkend, Joaquin Pheonix and Reese Witherspoon have been nominated. Pheonix learned to play guitar for the movie from scratch and sang all the songs in the film and sounds like Johnny Cash.

• Moderators

Finally as in ... it's been out for over a month in the US, and mainly been shunned in favour of Brokeback Mountain and other movies. Yes, it has been nominated in a few categories in US awards, but has only won ONE from what I can remember, while other movies have had more nominations and more awards.

Whether this will continue or not, we'll see. Munich has a very serious and real subject matter, and that may work against it, as already seen. I'm looking forward to seeing it though.

Thank the Lord someone has finally recognized the genius of Munich.  Saw it two weeks ago at a preview

921621[/snapback]

Finally?! You only saw a preview 2 wks ago!! :wub:

I'm gonna see Walk The Linethis wkend, Joaquin Pheonix and Reese Witherspoon have been nominated. Pheonix learned to play guitar for the movie from scratch and sang all the songs in the film and sounds like Johnny Cash.

921634[/snapback]

...he wears black, too. Now that's commitment to character! :wub:

I predict a riot when it comes to Ballbag Mountain and golden-standy-statutes! I've seen The Constant Gardener a few times, and everyday I love it less and less. Oh my God, I can't believe Keira Knightley was nominated! :( I suppose it's the modern way, though. In time honoured tradition, there will be a few surprises. I suspect Munich to have some success in that respect, it's certainly a Saturday night crowd-pleaser.

erm. current movies and tv section? :jason:

Munich has a very serious and real subject matter, and that may work against it, as already seen.

921637[/snapback]

Speilberg won for Scheindler's List and I thought was it pretty serious but then it is a war movie of sorts.

Joaquin Pheonix has been heavily tipped to win but some say he won't cos Jamie Foxx's role in Ray is too similar in that it's another musician's biopic.

I feel I can give a honest opinion as for the first time, I have seen all movies nominated for best picture and can give an in-depth analysis on all nominees covering such subjects as acting, plot, direction, subtext and its relevance in the world today.

Uh, I dunno. :jason:

Finally as in ... it's been out for over a month in the US, and mainly been shunned in favour of Brokeback Mountain and other movies. Yes, it has been nominated in a few categories in US awards, but has only won ONE from what I can remember, while other movies have had more nominations and more awards.

Whether this will continue or not, we'll see. Munich has a very serious and real subject matter, and that may work against it, as already seen. I'm looking forward to seeing it though.

921637[/snapback]

Thank you David that's exactly what I meant.

Nicky, Schindlers List was indeed based on a serious subject, it did not however provoke controversy and debate like Munich. Israelis have accused Spielberg of being "anti-Israel" and Palestinians have said he does not condemn the actions Mossad are alledged to have taken vehemently enough. Personally I thought he took a very even handed view of both sides. This is why it is unlikely to win anything in March, it's too much of a political hot potato. It is also a freaking excellent film so pfttt to you :wub:

I think the hardest choice in categories will be best film, so far my money's on Brokeback Mountain or Walk the Line.

So far my main gripe (and I apologise in advance to any fans - sorry!) is that Keira Knightly has been nominated for her portrayal of Elizabeth Bennet in Pride & Prejudice. I thought the film was pants and that KK did not play her character very well. My money is on Reese Witherspoon for best actress though.

On a happier note - Jon Stewart is hosting the Oscars!!!! I love that man!! (not in the fluffy kind of way)

My money is on...

Best Picture: Brokeback Mountain

Best Actor: Philip Seymour Hoffman

Best Actress: Felicity Huffman

Best Supporting Actor: Paul Giamatti

Best Supporting Actress: Rachel Weisz

Best Director: Ang Lee

...and there ya go!  :P

922553[/snapback]

I agree with you but I reckon Ms Witherspoon will get best actress and George Clooney is in with a shout for best supporting actor. Brokeback was beautiful and I won't be upset to see it win (and it WILL win) but it wasn't my favourite film.

I've seen Brokeback Mountain twice now and I really couldn't care less if it wins anything. I just .. feel nothing for it :D

Crash was brilliant and deserves any screenwriting awards and maybe even director.

Walk the Line for me was amazing and I want Joaquin and Reese to win! I think Reese definitely will win, but Hoffman will beat Joaquin. I haven't seen Capote so I don't have an opinion there!

I know Rachel Weisz (eh?!) has won everything so far but I wouldn't rule out Catherine Keener. Everyone seems to love her and she's always ignored so she could steal it.

I haven't seen either of Clooney's films but I'd like to see him win something just for getting so many varied nominations lol. And I'm not even a fan!

Munich was stunning if brutal and also deserves something but I doubt it will. Spielberg might get Director, you never know.

I think Brokeback will win Best Film but won't win Best Director.